• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014 | Nintendo Digital Event

Kuni

igneditors.jpg

I missed the event but have been looking at the announcements and trailers... Here's my notable impressions:

Zelda looks godly amazing but it was announced in the most... blandest way possible? Why not wait to announce it properly with trailer & gameplay ala E3 2004? Loving Link's design and art style though.

That is all for my notable impressions.

You're projecting. No Man's Sky alone is more interesting and innovative than anything Nintendo showed and it was far from the only colorful and experimental game on tap for Sony and Microsoft.

Pretty much this. The guy they were responding to originally didn't even mention those games either.

What about it is more innovative than anything Nintendo showed? First person mode shooting with colors?

Great conference. GG Nintendo. Zelda looked great, no gameplay unfortunately. Bayo 1&2 is a really good idea. Captain Toad looks really fun. Yoshi Yarn, Smash Bros., and Hyrule Warriors are must buys for me as well. Splatoon could be amazing also. Lots of good stuff.

I declare Nintendo the winner of e3, and they're not done yet. Smash tourney hype!

traveler

Not Wario
igneditors.jpg

I missed the event but have been looking at the announcements and trailers... Here's my notable impressions:

Zelda looks godly amazing but it was announced in the most... blandest way possible? Why not wait to announce it properly with trailer & gameplay ala E3 2004? Loving Link's design and art style though.

That is all for my notable impressions.

I agree that it should have been held till next year as it's late 2015 at soonest, but everyone was saying Nintendo had to show it this E3 out of necessity and they usually do some sort of concept/sneak peak the E3 before a full unveil anyway.

Caayn

Nintendo gets an E- from me. They're completely disconnected from the market, totally niche and uninspired.

IMHO, there's literally no reason for a seperate Nintendo console at this point. You shouldn't have to buy an extra console to play just one special sort of content.

That's like Marvel only shipping all of their content on a Marvel disk, that can only be played exclusively using the Marvel Player.
You can't be serious right?
Zelda tho.
Really digging the new look for Link.

Cuburt

United States Trends
· Change

#PLLDay
#RHShooting
#HappyBirthdayRocktard
Reynolds High School
Mario Party 10
#LG4K
PLL Marathon
Country Strong
Star Fox

Star Fox trending now. Seriously more proof that everything doesn't need to be crammed into the digital event for people to hear about it.

Swhalen

Reggie just said during the interview at IGN that they are purposely holding back announcements to they can pace them throughout the show.

ionitron

-claps- You did well for me, Nintendo. You did well.

My entire bank account just died at sight of the Amiibo figures.

The only disappointment was the Smash Bros. 3DS release date.

Chaos17

that is as in game as Uncharted 4 was. They both look great and i expect in-engine but lets be real here. Unless you think you are pulling off that sequence with a controller and those camera angles

Why are we having that conversation then ?
If everybody are happy then STOP coming here wanting to bullshit on Nintendo, please.

Kimppis

Nintendo gets an E- from me. They're completely disconnected from the market, totally niche and uninspired.

IMHO, there's literally no reason for a seperate Nintendo console at this point. You shouldn't have to buy an extra console to play just one special sort of content.

That's like Marvel only shipping all of their content on a Marvel disk, that can only be played exclusively using the Marvel Player.

Tbh, I agree with you. Dat western mass market appeal. Some of the reactions in this thread... "Nintendo totally won! OMFG!" ... How?

Oh, well, opinions: if you are a PC gamer or a Nintendo fan, it makes sense. I have to deal with it.

Nintendo really doubled down on drawing in their existing fans, which makes sense rather than reaching for the stars. For me, Zelda and Mario Maker have me really intrigued, provided they fulfill even part of their potential but they seem to be a ways off. Nothing for 2014 has me hyped enough to get a Wii U.

I agree that it should have been held till next year as it's late 2015 at soonest, but everyone was saying Nintendo had to show it this E3 out of necessity and they usually do some sort of concept/sneak peak the E3 before a full unveil anyway.
I'm glad they showed it. People won't criticize or assume the worst like there will be no Zelda for the system.

At least we know it's coming!

UrbanRats

that is as in game as Uncharted 4 was. They both look great and i expect in-engine but lets be real here. Unless you think you are pulling off that sequence with a controller and those camera angles

One thing is animations and camera angle, another is character detail, textures, lighting and so on.

PBalfredo

Still digesting the event. Thoughts so far.

YAY
+ Open world Zelda
+ Kirby's Canvas Curse sequel!
+ Palutena in Smash
+ Bayo 1 included in Bayo 2
+ Splatoon looks like fun
+ Mario Maker
+ Yoshi's Wooly World is super charming.
+ New Hyrule Warriors characters (though shouldn't Midna be in her true form?)
+ Yep Smash is still a Sakurai game, and has a jillion features
+ Pokemon ORAS footage
+ New Star Fox, but...

Hmmm
* Star Fox not actually shown. Yet?
* Amiino figures just for ghost/stat tracking
* Hope Yoshi's Wooly World isn't super easy like Kirby's Epic Yarn
* Miis in Smash. Movesets look solid, but Mii's being the non-characters they are doesn't excite me as a Smash character reveal should
* Time to dig around for all the stealth announcements that didn't make it into the Direct for whatever reason

NAY
- Still no word on SMT x Fire Emblem
- No Pokken Fighters. We know that's a thing, but not what that thing is yet.
- Smash 3DS delayed

The lack of SMT x Fire Emblem and Pokken Fighters unfortunately takes some of the wind out my sails since those aren't just wishlist games, they've been shown to be in development on at least some level. It would of been really nice to get some info on what those projects really are and if they are going to come to be.

They just finished Donkey Kong. Don't expect to see Retro's next game until next year.

The reason some expected to see something is because DKC was actually completed back in September of last year, even though it wasn't released until Feb. Many thought that with the time given, and the fact that they have a second team means that they would have something to show.

Came into this with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Zelda looks great, Yoshi looks great, and Kirby Wii U and Splatoon were genuine surprises both of which I'm looking forward to.

For all 3, this was probably the most solid E3s in years. Nothing too mind blowing other than the Grim Fandango reveal for me, but just good content all around.

Saiyan-Rox

Did I hear wronfpg or didn't hey day there was gonna be a sale on the eshop for franchise today? Hopefully not US onlynas I wouldn't mind ocarina of time getting a discount

Also that Zelda footage D: I so want this now

Top Bottom