• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014 | Nintendo Digital Event

Chaos17

My rankings:

Microsoft: B
Didn't do anything but show tons of games. Announced a reboot of a totally awesome niche game (Phantom Dust) and a bunch of other stuff. The only negatives in my book were the CG videos being used instead of game play near the end and that damn Conker troll.

Sony: D+
Had a great start but slowly devolved into irrelevant comic books, movies, services, etc. Had some awesome looking games though. Uncharted 4 in particular was stunning.

Nintendo: C
Showed off a bunch of games, but didn't really announce much new. We already knew what was coming apart from Splatoon, that Toad game, Mario Maker (technically it wasn't announced), and Canvas Curse 2. Problem is all but one of those games seems to be a legitimately big production. Zelda looks good, but the overall game line up seems like it'll be empty without any third party support. I wasn't a fan of how they basically trolled their fans though with Mother 3 and Star Fox. It's like they know what fans want, yet just refuse to give it to them.

Also, the lack of 3DS was shocking. The future line up is basically empty beyond Pokemon ORAS and Smash. How are they going to reach their sales goals when they have such a sparse line up?

MS lineup was weak and at least in Nintendo Conference we saw gameplay and not just CGI trailers.
Fianlly, please read the forum, there're some 3DS annoucements like : Fantasy Life, SMT 4, Pokemon remakes and that's just for now.

wishdom

My rankings:

Microsoft: B
Didn't do anything but show tons of games. Announced a reboot of a totally awesome niche game (Phantom Dust) and a bunch of other stuff. The only negatives in my book were the CG videos being used instead of game play near the end and that damn Conker troll.

Sony: D+
Had a great start but slowly devolved into irrelevant comic books, movies, services, etc. Had some awesome looking games though. Uncharted 4 in particular was stunning.

Nintendo: C
Showed off a bunch of games, but didn't really announce much new. We already knew what was coming apart from Splatoon, that Toad game, Mario Maker (technically it wasn't announced), and Canvas Curse 2. Problem is all but one of those games seems to be a legitimately big production. Zelda looks good, but the overall game line up seems like it'll be empty without any third party support. I wasn't a fan of how they basically trolled their fans though with Mother 3 and Star Fox. It's like they know what fans want, yet just refuse to give it to them.

Also, the lack of 3DS was shocking. The future line up is basically empty beyond Pokemon ORAS and Smash. How are they going to reach their sales goals when they have such a sparse line up?

But, but, Miyamoto is working on a new Starfox game! We will probably see it during the Treehouse event.

Biggie

So this year we will have Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta, Smash and Captain Toad? Am I missing anything?

Not the worst line up (lack of third parties not withstanding).

That is enough to keep me happy. I have a Nintendo system to play Nintendo games, and that is a good list of Nintendo games.

-MD-

So Nintendo actually delivered, good for them. I hope things improve for them.

WiiU officially on the cards for me.

lt519

Admittedly I managed to miss Yoshi's Island back then, but you're telling me it has featured extensive environmental interaction (e.g. creating platforms, destroying walls) since SNES?

Destroying walls with eggs was half the game. I think your missing that the core gameplay element of Yoshi's Island has always been the aiming and throwing of projectiles accompanied by platforming and finding secrets. Aiming eggs at clouds to create platforms, destroy walls, open shortcuts, etc. I think that's considerably different than LBP besides the fact that they are both platformers that have secrets.

SegaShack

8/10. Had me right up until you said the 3DS is abandoned.
Tell me about those 3DS games they announced. Right now all it has going for it is an inferior port of Smash Bros and a remake of a bad Pokemon game that came out more than 10 years ago.

Last few years 3DS was the king of software.

MarkusRJR

Everyone is entitled their opinion so I'll give you that much. I just don't understand why many people (not referring to you specifically) hope for Nintendo to go 3rd party. As of last night, my girl and I decided that the PS4 would be the console of choice for us next due to their great conference yesterday. At the same time, I HATE that Sunset Overdrive is exclusive to XBone but I'm not going to hope and pray for that platform to disappear so that particular XBone exclusives can come to my PS4 or Wii U, it just doesn't make sense.

It may end up that I will never own an XBone this generation, but I still respect the platform. I guess I'm more of a "games" kind of guy rather than a "platform" kind of guy. It just so happens that the last few gens both Playstation and Nintendo have had the best exclusives for my own personal taste.

I honestly hope to be able to own ALL THREE platforms this gen, just waiting on Microsoft to deliver more exclusives that pull me in.

Let's have a great 8th gen EVERYONE!!!
one4u.jpg
I think the reason people want Nintendo to go third party is that they don't want to shell out $200-$300 for a second console when they only want one or two games. Not everyone has that much disposable income. Why buy another console when there's more than enough games to play on the currently owned one? Nintendo games might be appealing, but they don't have enough sway for just a few of them.

I've been buying MS and Nintendo consoles since the 6th generation and I've always hated doing it. Waste of space and money. It's understandable there is appeal for Nintendo games on other platforms, especially when their current one is doing so poorly and with zero third party support.

Destroying walls with eggs was half the game. I think your missing that the core gameplay element of Yoshi's Island has always been the aiming and throwing of projectiles accompanied by platforming and finding secrets. Aiming eggs at clouds to create platforms, destroy walls, open shortcuts, etc. I think that's considerably different than LBP besides the fact that they are both platformers that have secrets.

As I said, I missed Yoshi's Island back then (and it has been too expensive to get on cart ever since), but that was my impression of things. I didn't say they couldn't be flawed.

megalowho

I've seen this mentioned a few times but a pretaped presentation for "press conference" style announcements alongside all day live streams for continued coverage is a really smart way for Nintendo to do E3. Doesn't have the pageantry of a stage show but so much of that is bullshit anyway, I find this approach refreshing.

Garjon

I need someone to clarify. Those Amiiba toys, will they actually be used to power up your character or just to play exclusive versions of those characters?

Zephyrus

Banned
image.php

If the things they showed make you think they have no business making home consoles then gaming is truly dead.

I for one welcome our CoverBox ShootStation 5.

No, Nintendo is.

I failed to see them announcing the return of 3rd party support. Even their main supporter, Ubisoft, is sitting on a finished game waiting to see if the systems sells more.

The problem with Nintendo is that they don't evolve with the times. They're on a bubble and everything outside it doesn't matter.
I moved on with my gaming tastes and they've matured. Yoshi games don't do nothing for me. Sure they're charming, but they're not for me anymore. They're aimed at kids. Most of their games are. Problem is, today's kids don't care about that cute stuff. They want shooters. They want action games.

And this is what's wrong with Nintendo. They refuse to see that. They're sitting on a potential gold mine with Metroid and they don't use the IP. It could be Call of Duty or Halo big. But it's underused.

You probably will not admit this because, let's face it, Nintendo fans are the most sheltered creatures in gaming.

Calamari41

41 > 38

This. Aside from the obvious stylistic differences, the actual physical gameplay was all but identical to Yoshi's Island. Throw eggs, carve through walls, create platforms, etc. Now, I'm sure it will be way easier, but there it is.

XenodudeX

So I guess Pokken was bullshit then? Too bad, but at the same time it didn't really make sense to me considering we already have a fighting game with playable pokemon characters coming out soon.

this has got to be the worst comment in this thread! congratulations

sooooo, I'm surprised they didn't show anything metroid. hopefully tomorrow

During an interview with IGN they asked him about his Samus pin and he said he would definitely be wearing it tomorrow...so fingers crossed for Metroid news tomorrow?

Mik317

On a purely selfish personal level, Nintendo gets an A. I will buy most if not every game they showcased. Plus it had hype moments like Iwata V Reggie.

However, Smash delay, 2015 errthang, and not a major Zelda reveal (in terms of content) will knock it down to a B or B+ in order to be fair (as the 2015 stuff is what I would knock Sony and MS for.

So it goes

Nintendo: B/B+
MS: B
Sony: C
Ubisoft: C
EA: D

still a meh year but Nintendo brought the hype back (on a purely personal level)

AGoodODST

That is enough to keep me happy. I have a Nintendo system to play Nintendo games, and that is a good list of Nintendo games.

Yeah I'm plenty pleased with it. The Hyrule Warriors release was a nice surprise. Thought that would be a spring title for sure (in EU/US). And let's not forget Bayo has the first game included as well.

Sean

Banned
People actually thought Nintendo did a bad job? What, really? WTF did ya'll want from them?

I don't think it was bad, but like the other conferences there just wasn't any surprises or huge announcements and almost everything interesting was a 2015 game.

I have no interest in Smash Bros personally so a good chunk of their conference (Mii fighters, Amiibo figurines, gameplay demo and release date, Paluntena reveal/closer) didn't do much for me.

We've already seen the yarn Yoshi game, Bayonetta 2, and X like eighteen months ago. Zelda wasn't surprising at all but it did look incredible, easily a contender for game of the show.

That leaves Kirby, Captain Toad, Splatoon, and Mario Maker. While they looked interesting and I want to play them, I think most would agree those are more niche "filler" smaller-scale type games. They seem tailor made for the existing Wii U fan base rather than exciting system sellers.

It was a solid conference with nice pacing but I don't feel Nintendo knocked it out of the park or anything. It was better than Sony's and on par with MS, 7/10 range.

amnesiac

It's all about foreshadowing, people.

They joked about Star Fox. What was announced? Star Fox for Wii U (in some way).

They joked about Metroid. What will be announced? Metroid Dread, tomorrow.

They joked about Mother 3. What will be announced? Earthbound Collection.

It's right in front of us.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MY BODY IS READY FOR AMIIBO

eXQx3o3.jpg

Oersted

No, Nintendo is.

I failed to see them announcing the return of 3rd party support. Even their main supporter, Ubisoft, is sitting on a finished game waiting to see if the systems sells more.

The problem with Nintendo is that they don't evolve with the times. They're on a bubble and everything outside it doesn't matter.
I moved on with my gaming tastes and they've matured. Yoshi games don't do nothing for me. Sure they're charming, but they're not for me anymore. They're aimed at kids. Most of their games are. Problem is, today's kids don't care about that cute stuff. They want shooters. They want action games.

And this is what's wrong with Nintendo. They refuse to see that. They're sitting on a potential gold mine with Metroid and they don't use the IP. It could be Call of Duty or Halo big. But it's underused.

You probably will not admit this because, let's face it, Nintendo fans are the most sheltered creatures in gaming.

Keep it classy

My evaluation of E3

Nintendo: A big number out of a slightly bigger number

There's some cool stuff. Some things appeal to me. I was like excited when I saw squids shooting ink. The transformations reminded me of Animorphs so that's a plus. There was too much talking in dulcet tones with no cheering though. And why the fuck did they give toad his own game but not Waluigi? Waaaah!!!

Microsoft: Okay, I guess

I mean it was okay. There was some cool stuff, but none of it appealed to me personally but I can see how some one else would jizz to it so I don't want to offend them by calling it bad or anything it just wasn't for me. It was live so that's a plus.

Sony: Bloodborne/10

TBH, I didn't watch it but I heard there was a Dark Souls successor in Bloodborne, and since Miyazaki is god Bloodboorne is like the offshoot of god so it's probably like the best thing ever so they automatically won it for me. It was very appealing to me.

EA: F-----------

Fuck EA

Raist

Banned
They've shown Zelda U? Link / screens / whatever please?
Actually is the whole thing arcihved somewhere? kthx.

Anyway, it's quite baffling that pretty much everything is 2015. I don't know what the fuck they've been doing since 2011.

Yep certainly enjoyed it. Great start, very funny.
Smash was expected but looked good, slightly worried that the WiiU won't have as many playable characters without buying the NFC figures; hence the Mii customisation to make up for it. Really hope that's not the case.
Yoshi, I was glad to see it in a playable state. My interest increased when they mentioned the two player mode, although they did rather stretch the presentation.
Capt Toad, awesome. Have a feeling it's going to be a brilliant puzzle game.
Zelda, literally had chills at the start. Haven't had that for years from a game reveal.
Bayonetta, can't wait. Nice bonus the originals bundled. I secretly hoped for that a few months ago.
Hyrule warriors, looked good. It's certain come along way since its initial reveal.
Pokemon, not too bothered.
Xenoblade chronicles X, not blown away the story trailer. But as I love the original so much I'll be keeping an eye on it.
Splatton, interesting, although I'm not sure it'll be for me.
Smash characters revealed at the end was disappointing, was hoping for Metroid.
Oh and Miyamoto trolling with blurry Starfox would have been better if I hadn't of known about it before.
Don't think I've missed anything!?

Best Nintendo presentation for quite some time.

MarkusRJR

MS lineup was weak and at least in Nintendo Conference we saw gameplay and not just CGI trailers.
Fianlly, please read the forum, there're some 3DS annoucements like : Fantasy Life, SMT 4, Pokemon remakes and that's just for now.
I'm a Nintendo fan, just a critical one. I nearly exclusively use my 3DS in regards to playing games. I just expected more this E3 that a few low key announcements and the reveal of Zelda. You edited your post but there's no need to tell me to "go back to your MS thread" as if I'm a MS fanboy. I do own an Xbox One but I only use it for third party games and niche franchises (I don't enjoy the majority of MS's first party games). I'm in no way a fan of MS though.

I already own SMT4 since I'm not from Europe. Also, I was referring to first party line-up. Nintendo has lofty expectations for the 3DS's hardware sales, and with the only internally published games being Pokemon and Smash the line-up seems empty. Weak year for 3DS if that's all we get. I'm hoping we get some more announcements but I'm pretty disappointed. Last year was so good.

Nintendo had so many games, they didn't have enough time to show them all in an hour. The fact that they casually name-dropped Mario Party 10 and even had a trailer for it off-conference - tells me that they won E3 this year.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Very solid and I'm coming around to this type of presentation.

Zelda looked great, and a lot of nice 2015 stuff announced. Even a new IP.

2014 feels sparse with X getting delayed and the NFC platform not really being a separate game.

Best presentation since 2010 for Nintendo.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
No, Nintendo is.

So what you are saying is...

Nintendo needs to make shooter games?

Fuck that. There's enough of those. I am glad Nintendo sticks to their ways (sometimes too stubbornly) but not focusing on shooters is one of their best assets and thank the gods... shooters are tiring me to death.

bfwings55

I moved on with my gaming tastes and they've matured. Yoshi games don't do nothing for me. Sure they're charming, but they're not for me anymore. They're aimed at kids.

Well right there totally negates your argument, because you believe that violence = maturity and that someone older cannot POSSIBLY enjoy games with colors or platforming. Obviously most kids these days like shooters. But there has to be someone doing something different or else the gaming industry ends up like it did in the crash in the early 80's: over-saturated by bland copy pasted games with no intention to innovate or do something risky.

If you want to live in a world where we only get annualized shooters and Ubisoft games then that's your own deal. But I for one look for something new in my games.

And then throwing in insults for no reason only makes it worse. This isn't GameFAQs.

EDIT: And look if you want shooting and violence, here you go.

No, Nintendo is.

So you want MEtroid to be like CoD or Halo

You know, 1st person perspective and shooting doesnt equal=ULTRA POPULAR MULTIPLAYER SHOOTER PEWPEWPEW

You would ruin Metroid

And you've "grown" up from Yoshi now. Games for kids aren't for you....
smh

such a shitty post

Top Bottom