• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014 | Nintendo Digital Event

So what you are saying is...

Nintendo needs to make shooter games?

Fuck that. There's enough of those. I am glad Nintendo sticks to their ways (sometimes too stubbornly) but not focusing on shooters is one of their best assets and thank the gods... shooters are tiring me to death.

Nintendo is a refuge from cyclical gaming fads.

MY BODY IS READY FOR AMIIBO

eXQx3o3.jpg

I have that Mario sitting on my dashboard :3

Perhaps we should wait for the treehouse event to be over. Aren't there some more announcments? Plus the aftermath of the digital event they announced Mario Party 10, a release date for Prof Layton vs Phoenix Wright and showed off a bunch of e-shop games.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
It's all about foreshadowing, people.

They joked about Star Fox. What was announced? Star Fox for Wii U (in some way).

They joked about Metroid. What will be announced? Metroid Dread, tomorrow.

They joked about Mother 3. What will be announced? Earthbound Collection.

It's right in front of us.

Yeah, it's doubtful they'd make those jokes if they weren't doing something with those franchises. Also, we are going to get more HD remakes. The question is, do they announce them during e3?

JoeM86

Nintendo did make and reveal a shooter though, and it looks fantastic. Almost ironically mocking the dark brown realism of the other shooters. Splatoon looks fantastic.

Carlisle

Only thing I was convinced was going to be announced that wasn't was GC VC. After that controller adapter was shown, I thought it was a no-brainer at their conference.

Who are these heathens talking about Nintendo using CG for promotional material? We've got enough of that nonsense coming from the non-Nintendo market already.

Linkyn

I feel the same. The new graphics look like updated "Wind Waker" stuff. Not a fan of cell shaded graphics for AAA games. Looks cheap and only acceptable for low budget indie games.

To be fair, they did say they weren't shooting for hyperrealism.

KiTA

So the treehouse stream just started whispering to me. That was... something.

Also: What's Fantasy Life? I've heard the name before but skipped it because no release. Well... It was apparently announced for a US release?

Nintendo did make and reveal a shooter though, and it looks fantastic. Almost ironically mocking the dark brown realism of the other shooters. Splatoon looks fantastic.

I'm impressed that it's a new IP too instead of relying on old characters, for example I know some people were calling for a Mario paintball type of game. I hope Splatoon will be successful and that Nintendo goes for more new IP's in the future.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I loved the Nintendo conference because it showed Nintendo is genuinely still pushing for interesting gameplay, as well as unique visual styles that we haven't seen before. They are using their major brands as a way to experiment with new gameplay ideas, rather than just pumping out iterative sequels.

We saw Yoshi's Wooly World which has elements of both Yoshi's Story and Kirby's Epic Yarn, but also looks to bring in new gameplay and visual ideas. It looked absolutely gorgeous, and used HD graphics in a different way than we usually see. You can tell the lead designer is really passionate about unique game play and fun elements. It may not be trendy or exciting to a lot of you, but that's the sort of design ethos that I wish we saw more of. I remember Shane B. calling Kirby's Epic Yarn a "baby game" but that is so dismissive and discredits genuine creativity.

Then we had Kirby's Rainbow Curse which is an unexpected sequel to one of the best "hidden gems" on the original DS. But it isn't just a bland sequel, they brought a whole new visual aesthetic to the game, as well as what appears to be a lot of new folds to the game mechanics.

And you've got Mario Maker, which looks to utilize the Game Pad in a meaningful way to deliver a level editor that is fun and easy to use. We see Nintendo taking an idea that has been done before in games, but bringing a level of fun and accessibility to it that will hopefully lead to some awesome stuff.

Finally you have Miyamoto's experimental Wii U prototypes that are showing a lot of effort to use the Game Pad in interesting ways, both single player and multiplayer. Star Fox might even build unique controls into a full fledged action game, but we'll see about that.

The most important thing is that you have one of the most powerful members at Nintendo actually working to build novel game play experiences. That is so cool! That is why Nintendo had my favorite conference.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
According to Kohler, Star Fox is very early and Nintendo is looking for an outside dev to take it. Cough platinum cough.

Birathen

They've shown Zelda U? Link / screens / whatever please?
Actually is the whole thing arcihved somewhere? kthx.

Anyway, it's quite baffling that pretty much everything is 2015. I don't know what the fuck they've been doing since 2011.

The entire digital event is up on eShop

Along with trailer and developer talks

Toxi

Banned
I missed the conference due to work today. How was the new Metroid game? I bet it looked awesome. Anyone have a link to the trailer?

Yo guys, that dude said 'where's Mother 3' and Reggie fireball'd him, then he said 'where's Starfox' and Reggie zapped him. Starfox is already here so...

Mother 3 localization confirmed?!1

I feel the same. The new graphics look like updated "Wind Waker" stuff. Not a fan of cell shaded graphics for AAA games. Looks cheap and only acceptable for low budget indie games.

Very glad I don't have any irrational hangups about cell shading. It looks beautiful

Top Bottom