• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014 | Nintendo Digital Event

Penguin

I know they mentioned it, but it was so weird to see a Nintendo presser that was mostly devoid of Mario.

Like there was Mario Maker and clearly he is in Smash, but that was the extent of it with this event.

I know they mentioned it, but it was so weird to see a Nintendo presser that was mostly devoid of Mario.

Like there was Mario Maker and clearly he is in Smash, but that was the extent of it with this event.

If you include Yoshi and Toad, Mario as a property was still the most.

I love how Nintendo showed designers talking as designers and not some kind of PR robots. For example, during the digital event, it was nice seeing Yoshi's Woolly World's designers crocheting and talking about the warm feeling of yarn rather than gameplay mechanics, it showed passion and dedication to their craft. Game design is a designer's dream and an art, Nintendo understands that. I think that's why Kamiya chose the Wii U over other platforms for his recent projects.

Nintendo is like this huge company that aims at profitability but all of their projects have a very author mentality to them, this really saved E3 for me. They understood what most of us are complaining about E3 every year, and that's because they felt the same way as us.

Sianos

re: mature video games

Call of Duty is in my opinion a childish war hawk fantasy, hardly deserving of the title "mature video game". It's overglorification of warfare certainly isn't mature, but that's okay. I wish the series would stop trying to have its cake and eat it, the Haze mentality of decrying warfare with a game designed around having fun with warfare. Either go the whole mile and prove your point or make an enjoyable, fast-paced video game. Call of Duty: Robot Bees Edition seems to be a tonal shift to the latter niche, which is much better than the awkward straddling of the middle road and uncomfortable narratives present in the current series.

A mature take on warfare would be Spec Ops: The Line, which truly encapsulates the horror and despair of warfare, and the encroaching madness that the pressures of war exerts on soldiers, leading to true madness and the horrible events of war. It goes the whole mile to present its point utilizing the strengths of an interactive medium allowing you to experience the same psychological breakdown and make the same fatal errors soldier have in the past.

Celebrations of militarism are fine until they are elevated beyond the mindless entertainment they are meant to be. Don't, however, claim such a display as "mature", for fear that it will again give militaristic fervor a place in the minds of self-assumed mature adults. But woahhh that was a tangent:

Video games can both be made for the mechanical experience of playing them and the emotional experience of the themes expressed in the world and story. One does not diminish from the other, unless your game is hilariously racist/sexist/etc. but that's a whole other tangent.

effzee

So I couldn't be home all day so I only saw the beginning of the Nintendo Digital Event up till the Zelda reveal (!!!) but quick question:

Was anything by Retro revealed? Or are they completely absent from the show this year?

Was holding out hope for a Metroid game by them of course.

BTW who in the world thought the best way to close the event was a character reveal for Smash Bros while Zelda Wii U was sandwiched in between some games? Has Nintendo not learned anything from its own amazing reveal for Zelda TP?

Close the damn event with Zelda. Always.

Graaah I came in late. Iwata doing E. Honda moves. WAT. With Mario Kart 8 and this event, Nintendo has been a goldmine for gifs lol.

Stay being Nintendo, Nintendo!

LuFel

00:00 Hype with Reggie Fils-Aime y Satoru Iwata
03:32 Masahiro Sakurai talks about Smash Brother Wii U / Smash Brothers 3DS
08:22 Reggie Fils-Aime talks about amiibo
13:14 Developer Story: Takashi Tezuka and Etsunobu Ebisu talks about Yoshi´s Woolly World
18:17 First Look: Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
19:55 Eiji Aonuma talks about new Legend of Zelda
23:40 Pokémon Omega Ruby / Pokémon Alpha Zapphire trailer
25:31 Bayonetta 2 + Bayonetta 1 trailer
27:10 Developer Story: Hisashi Koinuma, Yosuke Hayashi y Eiji Aonuma talks about Hyrule Warriors
30:21 First Look: Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
31:24 Xenoblade Chronicles X trailer
33:20 First Look: Mario Maker
35:00 First Look: Splatoon presented by Hisashi Nogami, Yusuke Amano y Tsubasa Sakagushi
41:20 Ending with Reggie Fils-Aime
43:14 Lady Palutena joins Smash Bros
46:00 Hype with Shigeru Miyamoto and new Star Fox.

OHHHHHHHH MAiiiiiiiiiiiii GADDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StevieP

Banned
Well I had to deal with insults in pretty much every answer to that post, but I'll be the bigger man and not answer in the same language.

Nobody said that Nintendo needs to drop the games that make Nintendo what it is.
I wrote that they need to make 3rd parties a core focus of their strategy. For 3 whole generations they have not done that.

If you actually bothered to check my post history in this thread you'd seen that in the very first post I wrote "Am I seeing things? Is Nintendo actually winning E3?", followed by my review of the "conference" in which I said they showed a tremendously strong 1st party line-up and it only failed in not securing 3rd party support. I gave it the 2nd highest score of E3.

But after everything was said and done, Nintendo didn't show me anything that said "go buy our system".
I saw the same old IP's on a new skin. Most of them with the same gameplay they've always had.
I saw nothing saying I'd have a better experience playing "Y game" on Wii U.

I know you've wrote that I need to "grow up". But the thing is, I did. I don't play with dolls anymore. I don't play catch anymore. I don't play cops and robbers anymore. I don't play games aimed at 6 years old anymore.

If you do, well then, the more power to you. But I'm 25 years old and my tastes match my age. It's the reason why Sony is and most likely will always be my favorite.

Nintendo is aimed at kids.
Microsoft aimed at teens.
Sony aimed at adults.

There are exceptions though and all three have them, but for the most part this is true.

And no manchild will tell me otherwise no matter how much insults they have to throw at me.

Yes, Nintendo games are usually the cream of the crop. And yes, they don't move systems.

You said Uncharted was not a great game? Well I'm sorry to say that Uncharted is one of the 3 games that defined the previous generation. The other two being call of duty modern warfare and gears of war.

no, I didn't.

The other three inspired several games and made several others emulate or atleast try to emulate what made Uncharted/Call of Duty/Gears of War, Uncharted/Call of Duty/Gears of War.

The games you pointed were huge successes too, but you didn't get everyone and their mother trying to make games like them.

Reality is almost the opposite of these posts

Riposte

Plz no more console wars. It turns out the Sony fanboy thinks non-Sony stuff is made for kids and teens unfit for his manly self. Let him.

It had the polished sheen, it had the colour screens
It was the best damn Zelda that I've ever seen
It's got the P-star highs, the salty fan cries
Bayonetta 2 with those kick ass thighs
Painty squid patrol, gyroscope controls
Captain Toad, they're fucking on a roll,
Then the mechs start shootin, X is rootin tootin
They'd already won but they just put the boot in

Wii U shook me aaaaaaaaall niiiiiight looooooooong
Wii U shook me aaaaaaaaall niiiiiight looooooooong

They're working double time on that new toy line
Smash Bros looking so incredibly fine
Wanted no applause, dropping bombs galore
"Everyone, our show just kicked the shit out of yours!"
Still got some shit to show, from Mr Miyamoto
"Hey kids, Star Fox U is a go-go-go!"
The floor feels unsteady, E3 got heady
My poor old body just wasn't ready

Wii U shook me aaaaaaaall niiiiiiiiight looooooooong
Wii U shook me aaaaaaaall niiiiiiiight looooooooong

You sir have won. I don't even like AC/DC, but kudos.

Hindl

What was the super secret 3DS game Nintendo revealed?

Coming tomorrow at 6 PM PT.

And with stuff still left to announce, I think I can safely say Nintendo won E3 by a mile. I'm not into shooters or the big Ubi titles, so while some of those games at the other conferences looked excellent, I'm not interested in them. And the titles I did like at Sony MS (SSOD, Scalebound, Bloodbourne, GRIM FANDANGO, UC4 etc) were CG trailers. Nintendo just got done with 10 HOURS of coverage, with an amazing Smash tournament and big fans, and extended hands-on time with Xenoblade X, Splatoon (this looks so good!), Mario Maker and Hyrule Warriors, and delivered some real bombs. Bayo 1 + 2 bundle, Yoshi Yarn and Canvas Curse 2 and ZELDA U LOOKING GLORIOUS!! That was everything I wanted and we still have two days of announcements!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm turning 43 years old this year and am quite glad to see Nintendo appears committed to affirming that core gaming is about more than the industry's efforts to sell products primarily to 25 year old western males.

As someone once observed about another medium, there's a peculiar cycle in American culture. 5-10 year olds watch cartoons. 11-20 year olds are embarrassed when their peers see them watching cartoons. 21 - 30 year olds laugh about how they use to be stupid children who watched cartoons. And 31-80 year olds watch cartoons.

It's human and normal. People strive to define themselves in their second and third decade of life and that means putting on a great show about all the things that don't represent them. Often that means rejecting things that are attached to childhood as they perceive it.

Then, for a lot of people at least, they wake up one morning and realize they can't spare the energy to care anymore and get on with things.

Does anybody have anymore information on Affordable Space Adventures? It sounds very appealing to me depending on what the cockpit view is like from the gamepad.

Kaldea

Unlike yesterday (and most other E3s), following all the Nintendo stuff today really made me feel like I wasn't left out of E3. I really appreciated the Treehouse stream and the humor in the digital "conference". Everything looks like so much fun.

catmario

My impression thus far

Splatoon >>>>> Xenoblade Chronicle X = New Zelda > Smash Bros (with AMIIBO) = Bayonetta 1 + 2 > Star Fox Wii U >> Pokemon > Mario Maker > Miyamoto's new game >>>>>> Kirby >>>>>> Hyrule Warrior >>>>>>> Captain Toad >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Devil's Third

Splatoon was best for me because of it's new IP. Nintendo really need this new experimental title.

But Devil's Third was too shock that I can't remember other good nintendo titles. :p

Griss

Exceptional E3 by Nintendo so far.

It's clear that the era of the 3DS is coming to a close, and the era of the Wii U has just begun with Mario Kart 8. Wii U will have a phenomenal 2015. Delighted I own one.

The Treehouse production was fantastic (save for the Miyamoto bit) and the Smash Bros tournament was pure fanboy hype. They nailed almost everything, and announced so many games I personally want, and even some new IP / quasi new IP. Well done.

The Giant

Banned
What's the bet that nintendo is gonna have a direct at the end of the month just before their shareholder's meeting? Like they did in 2012.

Summoner

tumblr_mb1lkvRO5Y1r3xxe9o1_500.gif
jmpcfdzwkeclebcuxijk.png

Please explain!!

watershed

Banned
I'm honestly surprised by how much Nintendo had to show. When it comes to software Nintendo still has it. Too bad it has taken so long for all this amazing content to show up.

Marcus

Does anyone know the name of the song that played during the countdown to the Digital Event? I'm talking about the first song they played, not the deadmau5 one.

PLEASE FIND ME THIS SONG NAME

Explain why the cel shaded one looks far better!?

And a tech demo is just that... a tech demo. It's not a promise. In fact, Nintendo said it wasn't representative of the actual game.

Over time, the cellshaded Zelda will stand out much better than the grittier demo version

And a tech demo is just that... a tech demo. It's not a promise. In fact, Nintendo said it wasn't representative of the actual game.
While it's not representative of the actual game, it sure was misleading. People have been sitting on that tech demo for a whole year. Personally, I'm a little disappointed as well. I wasn't a super huge fan of the cel shading in wind waker and we just had skyward sword's cartoon look with the last zelda game. I was ready for a return to the OoT/TP style again. Oh well.

jmpcfdzwkeclebcuxijk.png

Please explain!!

Exactly. The N64 Zelda tech demo looked nothing like Ocarina turned out. And the GC one looked nothing like Wind Waker.

The tech demo was just an example of what the Wii U hardware can do. The cel-shaded art style is much more vibrant, and furthermore, allows for a much more consistent look. You're not going to get an actual game looking like that tech demo running on the Wii U (or even the PS4 or XBO, for that matter). Despite the lack of power, I actually think that Nintendo's making the best-looking console games so far this gen based off this, Mario Kart 8, the yarn Yoshi game, etc. And that is in part because of smart art style choices.

Mortemis

Banned
Oh, forgot to post impressions. Well I can't really post impressions on the digital event itself since the Treehouse event changed my perspective on everything. Let's just say Nintendo won E3 for me by a long shot.

Btw, I don't get the hate for the new Zelda artstyle/graphics. It looks incredibly stunning and it will be beautiful for years to come after. Like the guy above (or two posts above) said, an iconic/unique artstyle will stand the test of time.

Ansatz

Exceptional E3 by Nintendo so far.

It's clear that the era of the 3DS is coming to a close, and the era of the Wii U has just begun with Mario Kart 8. Wii U will have a phenomenal 2015. Delighted I own one.

The Treehouse production was fantastic (save for the Miyamoto bit) and the Smash Bros tournament was pure fanboy hype. They nailed almost everything, and announced so many games I personally want, and even some new IP / quasi new IP. Well done.

I'm not gonna comment on 3DS yet, not even after E3 is over because they can pull a 3DS XL Direct on us a couple of weeks from now and announce a bunch of stuff including a revision. But sure it's loosing momentum, to boost Wii U they first and foremost need to convert 3DS users, the handheld has sold like 10 times more units.

moolamb

Now we all understand why Iwata-san had to stay behind for health reasons.

54-year-olds really shouldn't be doing headbutts.

Blacklion

Despite the lack of power, I actually think that Nintendo's making the best-looking console games so far this gen based off this, Mario Kart 8, the yarn Yoshi game, etc. And that is in part because of smart art style choices.

GASP! how dare you speak in truths

Oh, forgot to post impressions. Well I can't really post impressions on the digital event itself since the Treehouse event changed my perspective on everything. Let's just say Nintendo won E3 for me by a long shot.

Btw, I don't get the hate for the new Zelda artstyle/graphics. It looks incredibly stunning and it will be beautiful for years to come after. Like the guy above (or two posts above) said, an iconic/unique artstyle will stand the test of time.
Just like Skyward Sword. Sure it looks okay, but it didn't play even close to as good as a classic looking zelda game in my own opinion. Maybe Nintendo will surprise me though.

EDIT:
Lol @ anyone thinking that tech demo looked better than what we have now
People should stop assuming that it's all about how "good" it looks for those of us who aren't as excited about the art direction/style. Some of us simply prefer a more traditional look; that's it. It's not a knock against what was shown at E3 or against anyone else.

I'm 25 years old and my tastes match my age. It's the reason why Sony is and most likely will always be my favorite.

Nintendo is aimed at kids.
Microsoft aimed at teens.
Sony aimed at adults.

And no manchild will tell me otherwise no matter how much insults they have to throw at me.

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN AND I DON'T PLAY COPS AND ROBBERS.

I PLAY GROWN ASS MAN GAMES LIKE GTA, PAYDAY AND HARDLINE.

SO STOP BEING INSULTING BABBIES

Top Bottom