• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 | Nintendo Digital Event

Puppets?

Results are only viewable after voting.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I was literally shaking with anger during that conference. Tears formed in my eyes and my fists were clenched. "Announce something," I shrieked at my computer. My mom knocked on my bedroom door and had to ask if I was ok. Then, they started showing me a bunch of losers playing instruments dressed as Mario and I just turned it off. It was actually unbelievable.

Now, I'm 31 years old and this was, without a doubt, the worst conference I've ever seen in my life. It's clear that Nintendo is not just done with the Wii U but done with the company. There is no recovering from a conference that bad. They'll talk about the NX at next E3, but people will ignore it after remembering Blast Balls.

I loved this company and put my heart and soul into dedicating my gaming life to them. But now, I have nothing. I'm an empty shell.

Congrats on making the front page of Yahoo news.

Window

Looking at thecouncil's other posts (or even just the content itself really), that was most definitely a pardoy post. I can't believe people fell for it.

thenexus6

I was literally shaking with anger during that conference. Tears formed in my eyes and my fists were clenched. "Announce something," I shrieked at my computer. My mom knocked on my bedroom door and had to ask if I was ok. Then, they started showing me a bunch of losers playing instruments dressed as Mario and I just turned it off. It was actually unbelievable.

Now, I'm 31 years old and this was, without a doubt, the worst conference I've ever seen in my life. It's clear that Nintendo is not just done with the Wii U but done with the company. There is no recovering from a conference that bad. They'll talk about the NX at next E3, but people will ignore it after remembering Blast Balls.

I loved this company and put my heart and soul into dedicating my gaming life to them. But now, I have nothing. I'm an empty shell.

I wonder what member title you'll get for this?

Zing

Banned

Is this an attempt to match the old Amirox "The age of Sony is done" troll?

edit: Yeah, this has to be a joke post/troll. You called the game "blast balls".

Yoshi's Wooly World, Starfox Zero, Mario Tennis, Super Mario Maker, Project Zero, & Xenoblade Chronicles X. Good amount of games I want to buy! More than XB1 and PS4 this year so far.
It's Yoshi's Woolly World. Two Ls. I REPEAT, two Ls!

JUST HOW HARD IT IS IT? The logo is right there in front of you.

I can't take this shit anymore!

Kathian

Banned
No, Nintendo lost E3 because it failed to exceed any expectations.

Met mine. 45 minute show - was more entertaining than revealing. Don't usually like party games but want to see more of Animal Crossing (New Leaf is all I need).

Not a great show but Nintendo has a reasonable line up for the rest of the year. 3DS is quiet again so we'll see what we get, not getting my hopes up.

Again what were peoples expectations?

Expecting a major new title that wasn't already revealed doesn't strike me as an unreasonably high expectation when even EA and Ubisoft could manage that.

They should've held back on some things they showed earlier this year (FExSMT, Smash DLC, Earthbound Beginnings) and revealed stuff like Amiibo Festival/Federation Forces in a way that didn't cause people to immediately jump to conclusions
which still may very well be true for FF, though I still reckon it was meant to accompany a Metroid Prime 4 that's on the NX now and got caught out in the worst possible way.

Maybe even had the NWC *after* their Digital Event to end on a high note, since the event undid a lot of the hype I had for Mario Maker after they wouldn't shut the fuck up about what they'd already shown off far more effectively the day before.

This image shows how despite the Wii U having a lowsy appearance at this conference it still has a somewhat decent lineup for the rest of the year. Its definitely not "dead" in terms of software yet.

CHsfGcNWwAEyslN.jpg:large

It's 2016 that's the concern.

#FE and Zelda are the only games announced.

foltzie1

I think no one at Nintendo actually watched their presentation once it had been assembled to see how it really was bogged down at points and was lacking in punch at points (especially the ending) to keep up with the great start (Brian Henson directed!).

The Yoshi and Mario Maker extended segments could have been halved or more and replaced with anything else. The Earthbound Beginnings announcement could have been saved for the event (its certainly the right audience and your presentation had nothing on VC).

Additionally, the lack of announcing anything new (other than the Metroid spinoff) was a separate disappointment.

Individually all of the games look great and the NWC and Treehouse footage seems to bear that out.

Zukkoyaki

A new Mario Tennis game is a personal megaton for me. I absolutely LOVE that series!

I have probably thousands of combined hours in Mario Tennis 64 and Power Tennis on Gamecube. My friends and I used to play pretty much all night through middle and high school. This is a day one!

SalvaPot

It's 2016 that's the concern.

#FE and Zelda are the only games announced.

Come on now, we are getting announcements for 2016 for sure later on a Nintendo Direct, Nintendo made the "mistake" to focus in 2015 and early 2016 instead of promising games for late 2016 that are just going to be delayed for 2017 like other companies, I agree that the presentation was bad in that it had almost no surprises, but lets not act like it means we are getting no new games ever.

Zero148

I think showing some indies (FRN for example, that shit is amazing) and giving details to their latest game's (a hit btw) big update in August additionally to showing the Fatal Frame traler would have benefited the DE significantly. Could have cut some random talk for that.

Boney

Banned
Come on now, we are getting announcements for 2016 for sure later on a Nintendo Direct, Nintendo made the "mistake" to focus in 2015 and early 2016 instead of promising games for late 2016 that are just going to be delayed for 2017 like other companies, I agree that the presentation was bad in that it had almost no surprises, but lets not act like it means we are getting no new games ever.
Right, we'll get project giant robot and project guard
/s

Exactly, late 2015 and early 2016.

They showed some new 3DS games for early 2016.
They showed no new Wii U games for early 2016.

Yeah sure, they might have a Direct in January where they announce something small like Mario Strikers coming to Wii U in May, but if they had a major game they would have announced it now.

Some thoughts I posted in another thread:

I think Nintendo could’ve put on a better show had they not shown so much in advance.

The following is a scenario where Nintendo saved certain things for E3, and tweaked the way they presented other things:

+ Open with Star Fox Zero, but immediately say it’s a collaboration with Platinum Games. And say that the gameplay is the focus right now, targeting 60 fps (according to the IGN article), and the graphics will continue to improve until launch. Split the developer story between Miyamoto and Platinum.

+ Smash logo appears! In this scenario, Smash DLC was NOT shown early. Trailer plays for Roy. Sakurai appears onscreen and quickly explains Roy, and notes Roy and Lucas will be available after the Digital Event. He also quickly notes new stages and Mii Fighter outfits will be available, as well. And I mean quickly: Like all of the Mii Fighter outfits are shown onscreen at once, next to their franchise logos.

- Moving on: Explicit confirmation that The Legend of Zelda is still in the works for WiiU. In the meantime: A look at Triforce Heroes, with immediate confirmation that it has both single-player and online (something they took a while to say). Followed by Hyrule Warriors Legends, which in this scenario, wasn't leaked early by Koei-Tecmo.

- An unexpected bombshell (for English-speaking audiences): Mother 1, fully localized as EarthBound Beginnings, available on the WiiU eShop immediately after the Digital Event.

- Moving on: Metroid Prime: Federation Force, featuring Blast Ball, with the following statement upfront: “We continue to work on ideas for new Metroid games, both 2D and 3D. We hope to have something for you soon. In the meantime, enjoy this new concept inspired by the world of Metroid.”

- An unexpected announcement (for English-speaking audiences): Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, which in this scenario has its localization confirmed at E3, rather than a prior Direct. Follow this up with a new look at Devil’s Third, which in this scenario, wasn't shown a few weeks earlier. And follow this up with Bravely Second End Layer, also saved for E3 in this scenario.

- Show off Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem — in this scenario, for the first time. Yes, that means the earlier Direct would’ve been shorter, and yes, the audience reaction would still be mixed. But anything with “Atlus x Intelligent Systems” in the headline would garner interest. Also remember, for several years this game had borderline mythical status, where people weren’t sure it was still in development. It could’ve been a TLG-like payoff if saved for E3 — much smaller in scale, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

- Show off Fire Emblem Fates and confirm the two versions upfront. Not a plus for everyone but still a point of interest.

- Still on Japanese stuff: Yo-kai Watch coming to the west, Xenoblade Chronicles X this Christmas, etc. Show off Monster Hunter X — not sure if it’s confirmed for the West, but if this had been shown here instead of the earlier Direct, it would’ve made waves.

- Merge the Animal Crossing content into one smaller segment: Happy Home Designer, and on a side note, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival, each with amiibo integration.

- Drastically shorten the Yoshi’s Wooly World segment. Save the developer story for a post-show YouTube release. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off a huge variety of levels in rapid succession.

- A short segment about Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. A short segment about Mario Tennis Ultra Smash. The time saved here would help slot in the new additions like Fatal Frame and SMT x FE.

- Ditto for Super Mario Maker. They can have a bit of explanation, but save the philosophy by Shiggy and friends for another time. For the Digital Event, simply have a trailer showing off many crazy levels and enemy combinations.

- “One more thing.” This is where they close by showing Ryu in Smash, with a trailer and explanation. Also show off the accompanying stage, and say Ryu is available alongside Roy and Lucas right after the Digital Event. In this scenario, Nintendo actually managed to keep Ryu and Roy a secret.

Had Nintendo played their cards this way, I think the show would’ve gone a great deal better. Still not Sony level with the TLG/FFVII-R/S3 wombo combo, of course, but still buzz-worthy.

Yeah, I think even without the caveats of things already revealed, this sounds like a very agreeable presentation, at least one that would keep reactions more middling and a lot less outrage. Although, I'd add at least a small segment on Fast Racing Neo since that's exclusive, supposed to be out this year, and could scratch the F-Zero itch some have been itching for.

(I was going to reply to this thread before it got locked. I guess I'll post here instead.)

E3 is the most important gaming event of the year. It's when publishers gather together to showcase their line-up, and millions of people are watching. Everything else - Nintendo Directs included - is just a nice extra. This is why people have high expectations toward E3. The big games are supposed to be there, and Sony's conference raised the bar even higher.

Instead, Nintendo walked in and said "We're working on the Wii U replacement. This year's biggest surprises have already been announced in the previous days. Here's how our yarn amiibos are made".

Nintendo's line-up for 2015/early 2016 may not be groundbreaking, but it's not nearly as bad as the Digital Event - their very own main showcase of the year - made it look.

TiVo

So frustrated with Nintendo.
Can someone please answer honestly.
Why I can't play point and click fucking games on systems that would be perfect for those games?
Why tablets and smartphones get more titles than the WiiU and 3DS?

Why is Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us & Game Of Thrones not on the WiiU or 3DS?

Why is MineCraft not on the WiiU or 3DS?

And why does everyone praise Nintendo but then relegate the system to a backup status by saying get a PC & a WiiU or get a Ps4 and a WiiU?

I should be able to buy a WiiU because in addition to having Fallout 4, Gta5, NFL/NBA 2K, Witcher 3, etc it also will have my usual Mario, Zelda, Yoshi, etc. games not get it only for those Nintendo first party titles.

i watched the e3 stream simply could not believe how poor it was , they could just played mother 3 on the screen instead and it would have been 100 times more exciting.

I have had this thought since the day wii u released , why not make a pokemon game that is good for wii u ? like the ones on 3ds

Just wanted to say I spent the day reading through this thread in light of Iwata's passing - hope we're all reminded to contextualize our hobbies, passions, and interests.

Always remember there's a person at the other end. Even if you're not happy with it, just enjoy what we already have from Nintendo as the blessing that it is. It's humbling to think that even as he was passing away, your interests were important enough for him to apologize for E3. He didn't need to do it, and he shouldn't have had to say it. But he did. And that's called being selfless, folks (even if he was minimizing damage to his company).

Hope something like this never happens again.

Cheers.

Top Bottom