• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 Predictions & Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
God Of War is on the ropes because of a prequel that should not have even existed? I would not take that as any indication of the franchise being in jeopardy. I do hope they take every one's suggestion and move on to a new mythology though. I think that is the main thing that would cause franchise fatigue.

Agreed, I was going to post something similar.

GoW III was a critical and commercial smash success. Ascension barely did anything to generate mass ill-will towards the franchise even if it didn't meet the lofty standards set before it.

With regards to the bolded, I'd like to see a new mythology too but I wouldn't be shocked to see the Greek thing keep going.

I really love the art and monsters SSM create out of it.

I think it'll be MS that brings Shenmue back.

Wouldn't bode well, considering one Shenmue game has already flopped big time on an Xbox system. Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome a HD Collection or a bonafide Shenmue 3 on any platform, but I'd like it to be on the one where it's got a fighting chance of commercial success.

Here's what I think we can realistically expect from Sony studios:

Polyphony: I think we may get a reveal of their next game
(Tourist Trophy 2!)
but I don't think it will be ready to release before late 2016.

Sucker Punch: Nothing on their next game. It's only been about 16 months since Second Son. They probably won't have anything ready before early 2017.

Naughty Dog: Obviously UC4 will be there probably as Sony's main game, but I also think they'll reveal Uncharted Collection for release this November.

Media Molecule: Tearaway Unfolded will be there, and I don't think they'll reveal their next game until after that has been released - probably PSX this year.

Evolution: I doubt they'll be there at all, but if they are it will probably be to pledge continued support for Driveclub and maybe to give a date for the PS+ Edition.

XDEV: Hopefully they'll have a presence there, with Alienation, Shadow of the Beast, Rime, etc.

Japan Studio: Hopefully Gravity Rush 2 and another game. Hoping for but not expecting You Know What.

Bend Studio: Looking forward to seeing their horror IP. A release this year is probably a little too soon (it's just over 2 years since Golden Abyss - I'm an idiot as it's been more than 3 years), but they might be ready for a reveal.

London Studio: Hopefully more Morpheus stuff, and some full games rather than just demos.

Santa Monica Studio: I expect nothing, besides Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (if we count it as 'theirs'). I think we'll get a GoW reveal at PSX at the very soonest, but I'm expecting an early 2017 release so hopefully E3 next year.

San Diego Studio: I don't really know much about these guys - the MLB studio, right? I guess Kill Strain and Drawn to Death might be there.

Foster City Studio: Don't think they'll be ready to show anything yet.

Guerrilla Games: I hope Horizon will be Sony's centrepiece reveal. It must be at a point of readiness by now.

Guerrilla Cambridge: I think they're developing the next mainline KZ game, but they're relatively small and I don't think they'll be ready to show it this year.

PixelOpus: Probably nothing yet. They only released Entwined aat E3 last year, so probably not ready for another release or reveal before this time next year.

Partner Studios: I don't think Quantic Dream will be there, as I don't think they'll be ready to release before late 2016. Ratchet & Clank will hopefully be there in force and I'm interested to see the new game from Level-5. I'm hoping for more Dark Cloud, but not holding my breath.

Uncharted 4 predictions - No lengthy gameplay demonstration this time; it'll get a four minute trailer that's pure fanservice. Set piece-driven, urban area, lighter in tone, and Sully makes an appearance near the end, Uncharted fans the world over have a heartgasm. Done.

Can't wait for the "but... bu.... Sony, where is the Vita. WTF? Screw you" posts after Sony's press conference.

Protip:
Deal with what the Vita is. An indie games handheld with a few japanese games.
No reason to waste time during Sony's E3/EU conferences.

Javin98

Banned
Uncharted 4 predictions - No lengthy gameplay demonstration this time; it'll get a four minute trailer that's pure fanservice. Set piece-driven, urban area, lighter in tone, and Sully makes an appearance near the end, Uncharted fans the world over have a heartgasm. Done.
Damn, almost forgot about Sully. Can't wait to actually see Sully.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Matt from YoVideogames gave his predictions for the Big 3 this year.

A summary for each
  • Microsoft: Matt thinks they're gonna double-down on Halo 5, Gears Remastered, & Tomb Raider. He's hoping for more ScaleBound info & a reveal from Rare.
  • Sony: He's 40% sure we'll hear of the fate of The Last Guardian this year either way. He's guessing that we'll get zero Vita talk & will likely rest more on games they already announced, but is hoping for something big from Sony.
  • Nintendo: He thinks that it's gonna be a weak year for Nintendo, & that all their killer apps this year will be mobile games with few games for Wii U & 3DS. He's guessing that Nintendo isn't gonna release another big title for the Wii U ever again along the lines of Xenoblade X & Zelda U (since the Wii U isn't selling & Matt thinks Nintendo won't spend anymore money on big titles for the system) and will rely on Mario Kart 8 & Smash 4 DLC for hype, along with more info on games like Star Fox (saying that the projects like Giant Robot were absorbed into Star Fox). He's also guessing that Xenoblade X will get a "Holiday 2015" release for the West but will really be delayed to next year.

That Nintendo stuff...most of it sounds good. Some things to dispute though:

1) "All their killer apps this year will be mobile games" > I believe they're only releasing one game this year, plus that Mii Maker app. Soo...I don't think we can count on this. Or at the very least, plurality is an impossibility based on what they've been saying.

2) I think Nintendo is definitely going to be winding down on huge Wii U games. However, I'll be very surprised if Retro doesn't put out a big project on the system and if there aren't a few more AA games (so not quite your Zeldas and mainline Marios) in line for the system coming from developers like Intelligent Systems and Next Level Games. There's also SMTxFE coming up, which will probably be a big game. I think there will be consistent Nintendo releases through Holiday 2016 (with some barren early/midyear months).

3) I don't think XCX will be delayed. Unless Animal Crossing Wii U or some other text-heavy game is hogging up localization, I think that game will be Treehouse's major project this year.

Otherwise, that sounds pretty good. I agree in particular about DLC getting attention.

If he had his way, perhaps it would. And if he's going to sign with a publisher, even a hardware maker, he's going to ask for as much creative license as possible, given how his previous employer has treated him.

And some of you are grossly over-simplifying why TLG has taken this long and placing all of the blame for that on Ueda. He is the most responsible person, yes, but he's not the only guilty party in that fiasco.

It also wasn't meant to be a directly analogous situation. Auteur individuals are a pain in the ass for businesses for a very wide variety of reasons, and I doubt Sony wants another pain in the ass when they're still not rid of the other one.

That must be why they're not working with David Cage anymore... Oh wait.

You're being awfully presumptuous. You keep talking about how corporations work but since when have WWS worked that way? SCE were heavily influenced by Sony Music during its creation, so they treat their developers like artists and give them a lot of creative freedom. I don't think they give a shit whether a developer is an "auteur individual" or not, they just care about results and Kojima's record speaks for itself.

Also, "if he had his way, perhaps it would" is based on what exactly? MGSV took longer than usual because they built a new engine for it but other than it, his games come out fairly regularly. Are you just making shit up now?

Whether Kojima teams up with Sony or another publisher is entirely up to debate and I don't think we'll find out where he's going this year, but I don't think comparisons to Ueda have any relevance whatsoever.

(Tourist Trophy 2!)

Sucker Punch: Nothing on their next game. It's only been about 16 months since Second Son. They probably won't have anything ready before early 2017.

Naughty Dog: Obviously UC4 will be there probably as Sony's main game, but I also think they'll reveal Uncharted Collection for release this November.

Media Molecule: Tearaway Unfolded will be there, and I don't think they'll reveal their next game until after that has been released - probably PSX this year.

Evolution: I doubt they'll be there at all, but if they are it will probably be to pledge continued support for Driveclub and maybe to give a date for the PS+ Edition.

XDEV: Hopefully they'll have a presence there, with Alienation, Shadow of the Beast, Rime, etc.

Japan Studio: Hopefully Gravity Rush 2 and another game. Hoping for but not expecting You Know What.

Bend Studio: Looking forward to seeing their horror IP. A release this year is probably a little too soon (it's just over 2 years since Golden Abyss), but they might be ready for a reveal.

London Studio: Hopefully more Morpheus stuff, and some full games rather than just demos.

Santa Monica Studio: I expect nothing, besides Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (if we count it as 'theirs'). I think we'll get a GoW reveal at PSX at the very soonest, but I'm expecting an early 2017 release so hopefully E3 next year.

San Diego Studio: I don't really know much about these guys - the MLB studio, right? I guess Kill Strain and Drawn to Death might be there.

Guerrilla Games: I hope Horizon will be Sony's centrepiece reveal. It must be at a point of readiness by now.

Guerrilla Cambridge: I think they're developing the next mainline KZ game, but they're relatively small and I don't think they'll be ready to show it this year.

PixelOpus: Probably nothing yet. They only released Entwined aat E3 last year, so probably not ready for another release or reveal before this time next year.

Partner Studios: I don't think Quantic Dream will be there, as I don't think they'll be ready to release before late 2016. Ratchet & Clank will hopefully be there in force and I'm interested to see the new game from Level-5. I'm hoping for more Dark Cloud, but not holding my breath.
Golden Abyss was 2012? So over three years old?

And it came out in Japan/Hong Kong in late 2011 so was finished by then. They've been rumored to have had development problems, but that is a long time.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Matt from YoVideogames gave his predictions for the Big 3 this year.
[*]Nintendo: He thinks that it's gonna be a weak year for Nintendo, & that all their killer apps this year will be mobile games with few games for Wii U & 3DS. He's guessing that Nintendo isn't gonna release another big title for the Wii U ever again along the lines of Xenoblade X & Zelda U (since the Wii U isn't selling & Matt thinks Nintendo won't spend anymore money on big titles for the system) and will rely on Mario Kart 8 & Smash 4 DLC for hype, along with more info on games like Star Fox (saying that the projects like Giant Robot were absorbed into Star Fox). He's also guessing that Xenoblade X will get a "Holiday 2015" release for the West but will really be delayed to next year.
[/LIST]

Except Nintendo said they will not talk about mobile at E3...

Except Nintendo said they will not talk about mobile at E3...

Shhh, stop ruining the popular narrative. /s

Jokes aside, it'd be nice if folks predicting could do a bit of due diligence. Last year was the same. So much FUD even though Nintendo knocked it out of the park, in less time to boot.

Tratorn

That does not necessarily mean there won't be any news at all. They could just mean there won't be an advanced gameplay demo, a trailer would still be possible imo.
And I think Metroid (afaik it was even teased by one "insider" here) will be their big announcement (and the last big budget title the WiiU will get).

That does not necessarily mean there won't be any news at all. They could just mean there won't be an advanced gameplay demo, a trailer would still be possible imo.
And I think Metroid (afaik it was even teased by one "insider" here) will be their big announcement (and the last big budget title the WiiU will get).

I don't know, "decided not to show it @ E3" seems like we won't see it at all.

Lemondish

Ni No Kuni was amazing in every regard except the gameplay. Battle system and team AI were dreadful.

I hope Level 5's game is either full action, or turn-based. And speaking of the imminent Level 5 announcement, I can't help but think it's going to be MASSIVELY underwhelming. And I'm not one of those who's pessimistic about E3 in general this year; I expect it to be great. I just really feel like what they announce isn't going to be what anyone wants. Though that could end up being a good thing.

You do what you need to do to avoid feeling disappointed, but I see no logical reason to conclude that their new title will be a dud. Also not sure what you mean by it potentially being a good thing.

Dreadful? I agree the battle system wasn't exactly enlightening, but dreadful? I'm not sure you could ever be satisfied if that's the descriptor you feel best sums up Ni No Kuni.

Stampy

(Tourist Trophy 2!)

Bend Studio: Looking forward to seeing their horror IP. A release this year is probably a little too soon (it's just over 2 years since Golden Abyss - I'm an idiot as it's been more than 3 years), but they might be ready for a reveal.

This sounds... very boring... could be it. :/

Neoxon

That Nintendo stuff...most of it sounds good. Some things to dispute though:

1) "All their killer apps this year will be mobile games" > I believe they're only releasing one game this year, plus that Mii Maker app. Soo...I don't think we can count on this. Or at the very least, plurality is an impossibility based on what they've been saying.

2) I think Nintendo is definitely going to be winding down on huge Wii U games. However, I'll be very surprised if Retro doesn't put out a big project on the system and if there aren't a few more AA games (so not quite your Zeldas and mainline Marios) in line for the system coming from developers like Intelligent Systems and Next Level Games. There's also SMTxFE coming up, which will probably be a big game. I think there will be consistent Nintendo releases through Holiday 2016 (with some barren early/midyear months).

3) I don't think XCX will be delayed. Unless Animal Crossing Wii U or some other text-heavy game is hogging up localization, I think that game will be Treehouse's major project this year.

Otherwise, that sounds pretty good. I agree in particular about DLC getting attention.
While I'm sure we'll get Smash DLC news, I think Nintendo's done with Mario Kart 8 DLC. More so since its producer is supposedly moving to the mobile games front.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
While I'm sure we'll get Smash DLC news, I think Nintendo's done with Mario Kart 8 DLC. More so since its producer is supposedly moving to the mobile games front.

I don't disagree with you. I think DLC for MK8 is possible (a battle mode expansion, if anything), but not necessarily likely. I think we'll see Smash DLC at E3 and then paid Splatoon DLC later in the year once all the free additions are out (similar reveal timeline to MK8).

BY2K

Membero Americo
You don't need a producer to make DLC for a game that's already out.

And Nintendo is planning to only release one mobile game this fall, just they can't just rely on that.

And I have major doubt Nintendo will end the Wii U and the 3DS without a Metroid game for each (and they did say 2 years ago that they have ideas for both 2D and 3D Metroid.)

My take:

(Tourist Trophy 2!)
Me: No Tourist Trophy 2/GT game will be revealed. So I expected nothing from them during the E3 presser. No show

Me: Too early. Nothing to show yet. No show

Me: Of course UC4 will be shown. Maybe a Uncharted collection, but not from Naughty Dog.

Me: Media Molecule's new game/IP will be there for sure.

Me: Nothing from them. My guess is this studio will be closed after a year.

Me: They devs of these games will be there, yes.

Me: Very likely that one of theirs games will be there. My guess is TLG.

Me: Very likely. There now IP will be there imho.

Me: Morpheus stuff will be there.

Me: Nothing from SSM. GOW4 will be at this years PS Experience, imo.

Me: Drawn to Death and Kill Strain will be there.

Me: Foster Studio doesn't develop its own games. It's a "support " studio.

Me: Their new IP will be there.

Insomniac Games will be there with R&C.
Quantic Dream -> Later this year for the Paris event.

The fact that the E3 conferences aren't on the weekend irks me.

I assume E3 must be a fixed date, I see no onther reason to have the schedule like that. Skipping classes is not an option, so I'll only be watching the Bethesda, Sony, & PC Gaming conferences live.

Its like that for years...

Zukkoyaki

You do what you need to do to avoid feeling disappointed, but I see no logical reason to conclude that their new title will be a dud. Also not sure what you mean by it potentially being a good thing.

Dreadful? I agree the battle system wasn't exactly enlightening, but dreadful? I'm not sure you could ever be satisfied if that's the descriptor you feel best sums up Ni No Kuni.
When I said that it could be a good thing, I meant in reference to the idea it could be something that no one is expecting. IE: not Rogue Galaxy, not Ni No Kuni 2, not Dark Cloud 3, etc.

Ni No Kuni's battle system was absolutely ravaged by the brain-dead team AI. They would unnecessarily blow through all of their MP within a few seconds and they would never defend without your command (said command was also on an absurdly stupid timer that wrecked anything resembling a decent battle flow). Tales, for just one example, has an infinitely better battle system and even its team AI isn't great.

Call me crazy but I'm convinced that the only reason people love Ni No Kuni so much is because of how large-scale JRPG starved the entire industry was in 2013. When in reality, it's almost all style of substance. This is coming from a huge JRPG fan. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Some corrections on the Nintendo one, Woolly World was technically revealed at Jan 2013 Direct and then reintroduced at E3 2014. Also, Mario Party 10 was revealed at E3 2014.

On the topic of Nintendo announcements, I agree with the changes Muzy72 suggested. Another change: Project Treasure should be listed as January 2015.

Thanks, fixed.

With this, I've got Sony, MS & Nintendo's.

7GsAIXim.jpg
vIKcWfqm.jpg
lj8ConEm.jpg

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
What are the odds that we'll see anything Ace Combat-related this year?

Have Chloe and Elena appear and that will be gold.

FelipeMGM

Yeah; I've obviously forgotten some games but I'm counting them under the SSM/XDEV banners.

Until Dawn will obviously be there as it'll probably release about three months after E3.

I wonder if something happened to the development of that game in recent times. Everything was pointing for a June/July release and we havent heard anything about it this year. Maybe Sony pushing them for fall release

EDIT: Amazon germany and other retailers kinda leaked a june 24th date for europe
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1009609

I don't think it'd be June 24th, It's to close to Batman June 23rd and Sony has marketing deal on that so I don't think they'd want to compete each other. Not to mention Batman will over shadow Until Dawn.

Even though they said Summer I still feel like they'll delay this game to October

A) Have a better fall lineup
B) Halloween is in October and people like to play Horror games

List is console only.

Sony's announced one first-party PS4 game at the past two SCEJA conference, and that's Everybody's Golf at last year, which is listed there under pTGS. ( pre-TGS)

As for the 3rd-party Japanese exclusives, my context behind these list is to mainly compare the first party stuff, with the occasional big 3rd-party game that's exclusive because of a platform holder influence in a major way.

So stuff like SFV, Titanfall & Sonic, instead of say... Persona 5 or Yakuza.

Also to avoid the Playstation side of the list from getting too long on the 3rd-party stuff.

Lemondish

Yeah. Lets drag Yu Suzuki into this mess of a hype train.

Next lets put all our hopes into the Half Life 3 basket as well!

If GOW4 does show up I think it will be in a 15 second trailer like Uncharted 4 last E3 and reveal next to nothing.

BUT its probably a 2017 title at earliest so revealing it now would be pretty silly. I dont think God of War deserves a 2 year pre release hype cycle these days. That franchise is on the ropes. They need to play it smooth.

I think they skip E3 but they will put a real criptic teaser in the GOW3 remaster after you get the platinum or something. SSM loves that kind of shit.

What data tells you that this franchise is on the ropes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom