• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2017 - Hopes. Dreams. Predictions

The big one: I'm hoping for Devil May Cry 5, in whatever shape it's in. I need the confirmation. I'm expecting either absolutely nothing, or DmC2. Either result would depress me.
AL, when back then you said that you are gonna be the pessimist among us, I did not think too much about it. But man, why are you doing this to yourself? Come on, you gotta believe. Look at the faint light at the end of the tunnel. We are getting there. Just #Believe in the DMC prophet that is Hideaki Itsuno.

Ashtrax

- Dead Space 4 Announcement
- The Evil Within 2 Announcement

- Visceral Games Star Wars Game Reveal
- Sucker Punch Game Reveal

- Resident Evil 2 Remake Gameplay Reveal
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake Gameplay Reveal
- The Last of Us 2 Gameplay Reveal

Ushay

- Scorpio excellence
- MS (hopefully) knocking it out of the park with software

- Bethesda's new IP
- Bioware's new IP
- EA Star Wars game

- Metroid on Switch
- Xenoblade 2 date

- God of War
- Red Dead Redemption 2

Hawk269

So before I write this down I should clarify what I consider the definitions to be for each of these categories. Hopes: Things I want to happen that are semi-likely to happen. Dreams: Things I want to happen that are SUPER unlikely. Predictions: Realistic expectations.

Sony:

Hopes: More Death Stranding and Shenmue III, Rez II (I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is more likely than you think), Bloodborne II.

Dreams: All of my hopes + DMC5 and a big budget new IP.

Predictions: A more restrained show compared to the last two years, but their lineup is in a good enough state that even showing stuff already announced would still make for a killer show.

Microsoft:

Hopes: A slate of games that are unique or at least have a good hook. Not a heavy reliance on existing franchises. Something new.

Dreams: Honestly, after Microsoft shanked Scalebound, I have been super pessimistic on them. I guess OG Xbox Backwards Compatibility with Jet Set Radio Future would help. Maybe an apology?

Predictions: A slate of very good looking games. Crackdown 3 will be a highlight that will sell Scorpios.

Nintendo:

Hopes: Mother 3, Metroid, Pokemon, and a great showing for Mario Odyssey.

Dreams: Again, kinda like my hopes, but Animal Crossing out this fall, Persona 5 + on the Switch, and a better VC system would rock my socks off. Beyond Good + Evil 2?

Predictions: A fun but conservative showing like E3 2013. Unlike that show, which was not enough to turn around the struggling Wii U, this show will do just fine.

Might edit this post later to add third parties.

What do you mean by "an apology"? For what exactly? Just curious because I was reading you post and it just seemed odd in the context of everything else you wrote.

Fou-Lu

Games I want to see most:

Super Mario Odyssey
A new Metroid
Luigi's Mansion 3
A real Paper Mario
Retro's new game
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Any other Final Fantasy projects
Kingdom Hearts 3
Project Octopath Traveler
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
New Armored Core
The return of JRPG series like Breath of Fire, Phantasy Star, Grandia, Suikoden, Shadow Hearts, Golden Sun or Shining Force
Any new JRPGs from anyone

I expect to see at least Super Mario Odyssey and even just that will make me grin like an idiot so my actual expectations are low.

AL, when back then you said that you are gonna be the pessimist among us, I did not think too much about it. But man, why are you doing this to yourself? Come on, you gotta believe. Look at the faint light at the end of the tunnel. We are getting there. Just #Believe in the DMC prophet that is Hideaki Itsuno.

The past few years have took their toll on me I'm afraid.

Peléo

What I expect:
-Super Mario Odissey
-Splatoon 2
-ARMS
-Fire Emblem Switch
-Xenoblade 2
-Pikmin 4
-Luigi's Mansion 3
-Smash for Switch

What I dream:
-Nintendo vs Capcom
-F-Zero by Sega
-Mario Strikers 3 by Next Level Games
-Startropics by Retro
-Murasame Misterious Castle by Sakurai

Nintendo Switch

• Hope we'll see Skyrim running on the Switch with a confirm release date.

• Western release date for Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

• Square shows up with more info on Octopath Traveler and some other announcements. World of Final Fantasy would be great for the Switch. Maybe bring over their PS ONE and PS2 classics to the eShop.

• Atlus shows up with more info on their next Shin Megami Tensei game and even maybe a Strange Journey Switch port amongst other announcement.

• Ubisoft... I'm sorry I'm not big on Ubisoft but a South Park Switch Port would get me to open my wallet.

• EA... Unprecedented Partnership! Enough said.

• Rock*/2K.. Would love a GTA5 Switch port but I know it's a pipe dream.

• Bethesda - Hoping for another game port.

• Blizzard - Diablo 3 on the go. Diablo. Overwatch would be nice too. Honestly there's quite a few old and current Blizzard games I would buy on the Switch.

• Activision - Can't think of anything besides Destiny 2 (only FPS besides Overwatch I would play) and someone at Bungie already said it's not happening I believe, so... *shrugs*

• Nintendo - Pokémon Stars announce and release date for this year. VC announced with Gamecube VC games launching along side of it. Info on the yearly sub price and dates it'll start and make it so that subbing just one time will automatically allow you to have access to all of your previous eShop purchases. Do not hide behind we're adding online to our old games so you need to buy them again. Seriously.

That's all I can think of right now.

//DEVIL//

The Sony Fanboy in me tells me I hope Sony has some big unannounced exclusives that will rock the world of gaming industry. In reality though, most of their E3 will be about:
- God Of War Gameplay + release date
- RDR2 Gameplay + release date
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake gameplay + probably release date for the first chapter
- Kingdom hearts 3 trailer
-Shenmue 3 gameplay + probably a release date
- Most probably Shenmue 1 and 2 HD release date
-Spider Man gameplay + release date
-Some indie shit I don't care and will never do care about

if we are lucky, 1 surprise or 2 but I highly doubt it.

The Microsoft Fanboy in me tells me I hope MS has some big unannounced exclusives that will rock the world of gaming industry. In reality though, most of their E3 will be about:

- Too much talk about Project Scorpio and how its the most powerful console ever when you need to wear glasses and glue your eyes to the TV to tell the difference. + release date and price which I am gonna call it 400$ not a single cent more.
-Crackdown 3 and how awesome its ( god I love this game...well 1 and 2)
- 3rd party exclusive game #1 time exclusive
- 3rd party exclusive game #2 full exclusive
- that stupid Sea of thieves game from rare that will flop after first 10 hours of release .
- 1st Party new AAA game
- Probably a Halo 3 Remaster ?

The Nintendo fanboy in me tells me I hope Nintendo has some big unannounced exclusives that will rock the world of gaming industry. In reality though, most of their E3 will be about:

- 1st party game announcement #1
- 1st party game announcement #2
- 2nd party game announcement #1
- New gameplay trailer for Mario Switch, Xenoblade.

-

Necron

- Bloodborne 2 is announced.
- New BioShock is announced.
- Final Fantasy VII Remake gameplay.

Can't wait for E3. I should probably take some time off to enjoy the craziness that will take place.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Excited for and/or expecting:
- PUBG being shown at either Microsoft or Sony's conference in some form (most likely a logo only)
- The Last of Us 2 gameplay
- Lost Legacy gameplay
- Scorpio (I just want to see the thing and games already)

No way this will happen but I would love to see it:
- Red Dead Redemption 2 gameplay on stage.

Zukkoyaki

Ubisoft:
- New Pirate IP
- New Splinter Cell
- UbiArt is still dead

Bethesda:
- New Wolfenstein
- New Evil Within

2K:
- New Bioshock
- New IP from Ken Levine

Other Western Pubs:
- New Dying Light

EA:
- New Bioware IP
- First real look at Visceral Star Wars
- New Need for Speed looks good but will ultimately underwhelm in a number of ways again leaving us wonder how they can so consistently release games notably worse than stuff from 10-15 years ago

NotEasy

It's almost time huh, I always expect the same games since 2015 and I'll be disappointed once again :D
Demons Souls Remaster
Devil May Cry 5
Monster Hunter 5 (HD, new assets, PS4 or/and Switch)
and starting this year I'll put BloodBorne 2 here
oh almost forgot FF8 and 9 steam port for PS4.

I would love for microsoft to show off some interesting new ip for the xbox brand, as well as introducing new teams made of former indie devs to foster these new brands. I want to see more games like ori and sunset over drive. I would also like to see them let play ground make
Something other than a forza game. As for sony i dont want to see anything unless its coming in the next two or so years

Pipe dream: following the success of the crash trilogy microsoft announces banjo kazooie and tooie, remade in unreal 4 with remixed levels.

Elandyll

Banned
Hope:
Blown away by Sucker Punch new IP
Release date/ window on
- Spider-Man (late 2017)
- God of War (Dec 2017 or March 2018)
- Dreams (Dec 2017)
- Ni No Kuni 2
- Wild
- Days gone
- Chasm
- Death's Gambit
- RDR2 gameplay
- From collab involving BB2 and a DeS remaster

First glimpse at Cyberpunk 2077

Reel of good looking indies

Dreams:
PSVR now $299
KH3 gameplay and release window (1st half of 2018)
FF7R ep 1 announced for holiday 2017
PS4 and PS4 Pro refresh with 4K BR drive in Nov 2017, new price of $199/ $299
New Homeworld game announced
Mech sim/ Space sim (Elite?) announced for/ support for PSVR
Sequel to Metro Last Light shown
Patch for No Man's Sky implementing everything the game was supposed to have at launch

Lady Gaia

Predictions:

Nintendo shows a solid lineup for Switch, but most of the heavy hitter original titles won't appear until well into 2018. 2017 remains a landscape of ports and Mario.

Sony goes for broke and cements their position as industry leader with a surprise Fall exclusive plus a strong lineup for the first half of 2018.

Microsoft has some genuine surprises up their sleeve to complement Scorpio's release. Even so, they lean too heavily into assuming raw horsepower will be their main selling point and overemphasize native 4K for games. VR and AR get lots of lip,service, but mostly tech demos with few concrete titles outside of ports.

Hopes:

Pokémon Stars is actually a thing and a surprise 2017 release. Nintendo shows that Fire Emblem for Switch is further along than expected and will launch spring 2018. Xenoblade Chronicles II looks great and actually makes a 2017 debut.

RDR2 surprises us all and is still scheduled to be out this year, living up to lofty expectations without the lazy trope laden "humor" that infests the GTA series.

Spider-Man doesn't just look great, hands on experience reveals that there's a solid core gameplay experience. Spider Souls, if you will.

Microsoft shows signs that they're turning a corner on managing game studios, backing off their aggressive micro transaction strategy, and have a real vision for how to reinvent core franchises.

Dreams:

Sony discovers that they accidentally shipped all PS4 Pro units with an optical drive perfectly capable of playing SACD and UHD Blu-ray content, and update their firmware to take advantage of it.

Nintendo shows any signs at all that they know what to do with the Metroid franchise.

Microsoft shows off a compelling single player exclusive with deep narrative and intriguing characters that sells me on Scorpio. There are no micro transactions or overly muscled men involved, and nobody is rescuing a helpless woman with the possible exception of na astoundingly competent woman.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Gabe and Tycho hold a press conference to announce the show is PAX Southwest starting next year.

Hmm? Are you saying that they will announce E3 will be PAX SW next year?

I know you are joking around, but I am confused on what you are trying to say.

Zackat

If Terry Crews is at E3 Doomfist hysteria will be so good. That would be an amazing thing to see in any conference. Probably too soon after Orisa but damn that would be exciting.

Sony

Hopes. Solid release dates for God of War, Detroid, Days Gone. Spinderman.

Predictions. "some time in 2018"

Microsoft

Hopes. MS has some new fancy IP

Predictions. Gears, Halo and Forza and another random questionable 3rd party AAA timed exclusive ala Titanfall, Tomb Raider, Dead Rising.

Nintendo.

Hopes. Pokemon. Mario. Some western shooters and RPGs

Predictions. Pokemon. Mario. Indies.

Hopes:

Something from Cyberpunk 2077 shows up.
During the Sony conference, Destiny 2 beta goes live at Tuesday reset (5AM EDT); pre-load now on PS4.

Dreams:
Dead Space 4 that actually looks like Dead Space
SOCOM 2 HD with online play

I honestly feel like the rest of the conferences are pretty easy to predict what's going to show up outside of like 1-2 surprise announcements at Microsoft and Sony.

Elfstruck

Predictions
SP's new IP
GOW gameplay
FromSoft-Sony new IP
Knack 2 release date
Detroit release date
NNK2 release date
DeS remaster
PSASBR 2
Sony japan new IP
Smash deluxe
Pokemon Star
Mario x Rabbid rpg
Pikmin 4
Mario maker for switch
Diablo 3

Dreams
Rouge galaxy 2
New Siphon Filter
Klonoa
Spyro collection like Crash
Power Stone
Metroid
MGR 2

Hopes
Dreams beta right after Sony conference
Destiny 2 ps4 pro custom bundle
HZD DLC
Infamous collection.

flattie

My most wanted is absolutely Shenmue 3. I don't have any major issues with them missing their 2017 release aim, but I would like to see something more substantial than what has already been shown.

Not that I don't have faith in Yu Suzuki; there's nobody in the industry I'd trust more to deliver.

I'd also like to see Shenmue HD announced.

After that, I'm desperate for Nintendo to announce a new Metroid - preferably developed by Retro.

A wild card would be Rez 2 - Rez Infinite was one of my favourite games in years.

MilkBeard

Hopes and Dreams:

A new FromSoftware title, whether it be the new IP or Bloodborne 2.

A good look at Final Fantasy VII R, showing a few key moments of the game to show us how it is developing, plus gameplay, and more detail about the structure of the episodes.

Shenmue III showcase.

World of Versus expansion for FF XV (Yeah, I know, it's a long shot, but it would be damned cool).

FF VI remake (another pipe dream, but I want it some day).

Predictions: FromSoftware will show a title of some sort.

Final Fantasy VII R will be shown, but it will be another teaser that is just a glimpse and nothing more.

Shenmue III will have a trailer.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
New bethesda ip, battle royal type game for ps4, borderlands 3, good mmorpg for ps4, left 4 dead 3, Amy Hennig star wars, new coop wrpg from someone, and bioware new ip.

I am looking forward to Far Cry 5, last of us 2, and battlefront 2.

The past few years have took their toll on me I'm afraid.
I know how you feel. But remember what Itsuno said about announcing a new project this year and all the not so subtle hints by Reuben and the rest of the troll crew.

I'm positive that this will be the year that we finally hear about/see DMC5.

Wamb0wneD

Predictions:

Nintendo shows a solid lineup for Switch, but most of the heavy hitter original titles won't appear until well into 2018. 2017 remains a landscape of ports and Mario.

Aaaand i stopped reading. What is up with people straight up ignoring everything.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Dreams:
New Animal Crossing Switch
New Ace Attorney 3DS
New Metroid FPS Switch
More 3DS/WiiU Switch Ports

Hope:
Xenoblade 2 delayed to 2018 (This year is too full already)

Predictions:
None of my Dreams come true.

Lucreto

Okami 2 - seriously I would have a Huber moment if it ever gets announced.

FFVIIR - I expect this to be shown and a release date this year.

FF 30th Anniversary collection - A PS4 collection with trophies and I don't need any more games this year.

Dreams

gta 1 and gta London remakes. Just imagine how good the missions and cities would be with modern graphics.

Getaway 2

FFvii r releasing this year.

jelly

Hoping for things I haven't seen and game play of many things.

An Xbox in black.

Cringe free. Ubisoft gets a pass, nothing could contain them.

Laplasakos

It's a good thing after the fiasco of last year.

No leaks is never a good thing. Last time we got no leaks was E3 2012, which was the most boring E3 in a long time and also the E3 just before next gen. The reason why we didn't had any leaks was... there wasn't anything to leak.

DMONKUMA

No leaks is never a good thing. Last time we got no leaks was E3 2012, which was the most boring E3 in a long time and also the E3 just before next gen. The reason why we didn't had any leaks was... there wasn't anything to leak.

I mean we've had rumors, leaks and hints for what can possibly come this E3. It's just not a lot compared to last years.

ASaiyan

Banned
Predictions:
-Rabbids x Mario
-DOOM 2
-More from God of War 4
-Western release info for DQ11

Hopes:
-Shenmue HD Collection
-Smash 4 Switch
-Pokemon Stars
-Yakuza 2 Kiwami

Dreams:
-A new 2D Metroid
-A 3D remake of EarthBound
-Metal Gear Rising 2
-Western release of Yakuza Ishin

Ushay

The Sony Fanboy in me tells me I hope Sony has some big unannounced exclusives that will rock the world of gaming industry. In reality though, most of their E3 will be about:
- God Of War Gameplay + release date
- RDR2 Gameplay + release date
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake gameplay + probably release date for the first chapter
- Kingdom hearts 3 trailer
-Shenmue 3 gameplay + probably a release date
- Most probably Shenmue 1 and 2 HD release date
-Spider Man gameplay + release date
-Some indie shit I don't care and will never do care about

if we are lucky, 1 surprise or 2 but I highly doubt it.

The Microsoft Fanboy in me tells me I hope MS has some big unannounced exclusives that will rock the world of gaming industry. In reality though, most of their E3 will be about:

- Too much talk about Project Scorpio and how its the most powerful console ever when you need to wear glasses and glue your eyes to the TV to tell the difference. + release date and price which I am gonna call it 400$ not a single cent more.
-Crackdown 3 and how awesome its ( god I love this game...well 1 and 2)
- 3rd party exclusive game #1 time exclusive
- 3rd party exclusive game #2 full exclusive
- that stupid Sea of thieves game from rare that will flop after first 10 hours of release .
- 1st Party new AAA game
- Probably a Halo 3 Remaster ?

The Nintendo fanboy in me tells me I hope Nintendo has some big unannounced exclusives that will rock the world of gaming industry. In reality though, most of their E3 will be about:

- 1st party game announcement #1
- 1st party game announcement #2
- 2nd party game announcement #1
- New gameplay trailer for Mario Switch, Xenoblade.

-
I see what you did there :)

Lady Gaia

Aaaand i stopped reading. What is up with people straight up ignoring everything.

It's just a reflection of what interests me, not a condemnation of the platform. I'm pretty exclusively interested in single-player living room experiences so Splattoon 2 and Arms aren't a selling point even though I can certainly understand why they'd be perfect for others.

Wamb0wneD

It's just a reflection of what interests me, not a condemnation of the platform. I'm pretty exclusively interested in single-player living room experiences so Splattoon 2 and Arms aren't a selling point even though I can certainly understand why they'd be perfect for others.

ARMS i can understand but if Splatoon 2's singleplayer happens to be like 10 hours long, would you still not be interested? And we don't know when Xenoblade 2 or that strange Mario/Rabbit game are coming out.

Crowne

Neo Member
Nintendo would kill it with a pokemon game and a price cut for the switch during x-mas - business. I am sure, that they will show mario, xenoblade 2 and luigi's mansion 3 :D

Forget Microsoft....they want to sell you a two and a half pc...

Sony, please blow me away with a epic god of war boss battle and last of us 2 gameplay and one big first party release later this year...maybe spiderpig..peace

DNAbro

Nintendo would kill it with a pokemon game and a price cut for the switch during x-mas - business. I am sure, that they will show mario, xenoblade 2 and luigi's mansion 3 :D

Forget Microsoft....they want to sell you a two and a half pc...

Sony, please blow me away with a epic god of war boss battle and last of us 2 gameplay and one big first party release later this year...maybe spiderpig..peace

Nintendo can't even keep up with demand so there won't need to be a price cut

Top Bottom