• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2017 Media Coverage - XBox had the most articles

"For the first time since we started measuring media coverage at E3 in 2014, Sony is not leading," Bideaux said. "It has to be said that the gap between them and Microsoft is very small, but this comes on the back of Microsoft growing for the fourth year in a row, and where Sony had its third best performance out of four [E3s] (on the back of its best performance last year).
"Nintendo, on the other hand, has had its best E3, doubling the coverage they got last year. The Switch is clearly a commercial success and is also popular with the media. With a smaller lineup than its competitors, it is quite the performance for them. The wider third-party program, with Ubisoft's partnership at the forefront, is likely a significant contribution."
As for other trends, Bideaux noted that VR coverage was down across the board this year, with PlayStation VR in particular only receiving half as much coverage as it did during E3 2016

714x-1

714x-1

more at the link:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-06-20-microsoft-wins-e3-coverage-race

relevant topics with other E3 2017 numbers (most watched conferences, social media impressions and trailer viewer numbers):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1393284
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1392507
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1392453
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1393516

meirl

Banned
Well deserved. congratz ms

inb4 Scorpio hurr durr people knew already about Scorpio. so nothing new.

That's to be expected since they revealed new hardware, no?

Indeed. Added to the fact that there were no surprise announcements from Sony's release other than Sotc remaster and the multiplatform reveal of Monster Hunter. That means that all the articles really should be about games, dates and updates of information.

MS has a boost this year thanks to new console and additional details regarding official name, hardware inside of console, software and price. They revealed Forza 7, which wasn't a mindblowing surprise but the mandatory 100 GB's is generating some talk. More footage of Crackdown 3 and Ori 2. And then talk about cross platform play.

So no, the articles aren't surprising since the news isn't a direct reflection of interest nor sales of a product. Just information dissemination. What people do with that information is anyone's guess.

Gestault

It's not starting from a position of strength, but I think Nintendo nearly doubling its coverage is a more substantive story.

Lingitiz

It's not starting from a position of strength, but I think Nintendo nearly doubling its coverage is a more substantive story.

They had two games to talk about last year, versus this year with a new platform and several new titles on two platforms. I'm actually surprised it wasn't much lower last year.

Those top 15 games though is disturbing. Both brands only had 1 major exclusive basically

Crackdown and sea of thieves basically garnering no writing interest.

Really sad that fallout 4 is in that list though, especially after that VR price(maybe that's wheat the articles were written about lol.)

Those top 15 games though is disturbing. Both brands only had 1 major exclusive basically

Crackdown and sea of thieves basically garnering no writing interest.

Really sad that fallout 4 is in that list though, especially after that VR price(maybe that's wheat the articles were written about lol.)
Why is it "disturbing"?

It really amazes me to see how many articles AC: Origins had! I know I was really hyped to see that reveal, but I didn't catch how big the general perception was. Also great for Nintendo to have Mario sitting alongside Destiny 2 and Anthem. Goddamn.

Unknown?

More coverage doesn't mean better coverage. MS had a lot of reveals but all of their true exclusives were revealed years ago. Sony wasn't much better though but they didn't reveal a console with Wii U levels of bad naming. "The Xbox One S says it does 4K and is bigger, must be the better version like our iPhone 6 S"

gamz

It really amazes me to see how many articles AC: Origins had! I know I was really hyped to see that reveal, but I didn't catch how big the general perception was. Also great for Nintendo to have Mario sitting alongside Destiny 2 and Anthem. Goddamn.

Same. I honestly didn't think it was still this popular.

Not surprising. Nothing to really get the base buzzing at Sonys conference. No Cod demo, only a trailer, no Destiny demo, only a trailer, no Battlefront demo at all. Was a really weird showing from the third party side.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The real mystery here is what was in e3 2014 for Sony that makes it better than 2015 am I forgetting a game

I guess the press notices when you make a show out of games that are years away and not playable. I mean what should they write about if they can't play?

Now there's article wars? lol

Well I did see a lot of threads about Spencer's stupid PR talk like "Not a fan of marketing deals" and "PS4 Pro is Xbox One S competitor, not true 4k".

You tend to get a lot of articles talking bullcrap.

we should clearly make a neogaf spencer vs ryan topic war
but as you see, those quotes are from regular long interviews. neogaf just likes to pick the most controversial quotes;)

The real mystery here is what was in e3 2014 for Sony that makes it better than 2015 am I forgetting a game

Destiny, UC4, Bloodborn, No Man's Sky, The Order, Mortal Kombat
2015 was nothing special compared to that

Top Bottom