• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Beth] 'DOOM Eternal' Teaser

Dacon

Banned
Dude that PC gameplay. I'm so fucking ready, the new shotguns look amazing. Also lmao @Doomslayer bullying the little hoomans.

Last edited:

Yagami_Sama

Looks great. and I am so happy that this will be ported to Switch too. Let's see if they manage to release the game simultaneously on all platforms.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The level is covered in Zerg creep. It's so cartoony! You're shooting at plastic toys. It's even more cartoony than Doom 2016. I hate this art style.

Also this Doom Slayer bullshit can fuck off... He's Doomguy.

You're definitely in the minority on this one.

To me it feels like they're pulling a Serious Sam 2.
It's just crazy and funny and colourful and that's not what Doom was.
The original games were inspired by Giger's Necronomicon. They were supposed to look as realistic as possible for their time. The new one takes the Evil Dead 2 part of the original Doom pitch but forgets the Aliens part...

Last edited:

mayhemking

New dash ability (yellow gauge above life bar, 2 stocks) and the grapple (super shotgun alt fire) look like game changers! Mobility turned to 11.
I'm a little disappointed by the glory kill system. I was hoping they would highlight specific body parts or something so it would be easier to get the kill you want.

mayhemking

I'm not sold on the shoulder mounted weapons, just looks weird in a doom game... I guess this is a replacement for the grenades in last game? It might grow on me though.

Vtecomega

Banned
Looks incredible. Day 0.

lol resetera is offended at some of the underlying jokes in the game. Discussing politics in a doom game? Oh boy..

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's just me or did you guys felt a Robocop vibe in the beginning of Phobos?

Also, I have a theory for the enemy that kinda look like Doomguy. Do you guys saw that you get a life? It means that you die and can reborn, but this time not as the same Doomguy. You reborn to kill your past version.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

One thing I think the game needs more is hearing Doomguys footsteps, specially during the phobos cut scene, he's a big suited up killing machine and it's almost seems floaty when he runs around so fast without hearing footsteps.

One thing I don't like is the corpses instantly disappearing. Would have been cool to see all the carnage you leave behind like in the original.

It's probably for performance reasons, but still I can brute force that shit with my PC :p

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
...why is Doom looking like Starcraft 2 now?
...You mean the bigger variation in colour pallete? It should be said that although Doom 2016 had a colour pallete more in line with Classic Doom, the Eternal colour pallete is not entirely off-base.

The level is covered in Zerg creep. It's so cartoony!
Doom levels were also filled with pinkish stuff that was supposed represent skin. A mashup of these textures:

screenshot_doom_20150430_220855_by_jewellds-d8rndpy.png

Now this is a custom level, but these are stock textures that are found within the original game. Eternal seems to take ideas at these texture sets as opposed to the more orange look of Doom 2016.

You're shooting at plastic toys.
Most of the original Doom enemies were actually made IRL and looked like toys so if you complain of that in Eternal, you should have had issues with the classic Doom enemies aswell.

Also, the original Doom bestiary looks pretty cartoony aswell:

Mi59kcF.jpg

It's even more cartoony than Doom 2016.
It looks more sci-fi at times, yes, but since when is colour a geniune issue in a Doom case? The above demonstrates that cartoony enemies and colorful environments were always a thing, although most of Doom is in brown and grey.

Also this Doom Slayer bullshit can fuck off... He's Doomguy.
Sir, you seem overly upset at a multitude of things in Eternal to a degree that is unreasonable. Doomguy has also been referred to as Marine or Doom Marine back in Doom 3 and earlier. If this is such a geniune issue, then why aren't you bringing that up?

Why no Rage 2 Switch? :unsure:
The Apex Engine that Rage 2 uses (No Id Tech this time, and used by Generation Zero and Just Cause 4 aswell) has no known ARM SKU. Meaning that there is no information available that they ported this x86 based engine to a new ISA (Which is ARM).

To me it feels like they're pulling a Serious Sam 2.
It's just crazy and funny and colourful and that's not what Doom was.
As the above has shown, Doom certainly had its colorful moments. Also, you don't think Barrels O Fun was not meant as a funny level?
Personally, i found Serious Sam 2 one of the more hilarious entries in the series, and i know this is an opposing opinion as the majority felt it was a worse take than its predecessor. But i liked the goofy take on Sam and its humor. Which obviously, isn't for everyone..

The original games were inspired by Giger's Necronomicon. They were supposed to look as realistic as possible for their time.¨
Right about the former, but they don't follow Giger 100% faithfully. I disagree with the latter. Despite creating these models from scratch, they definitely looked like toys in the end.

Yeah, the "mortally challenged" line seemed like a dig at SJW/oversensitive/outrage types to me. >.>
Ofcourse that upsets them, as demons are literally existing things, you know. Anyone with a functioning brain would know its a dig delivered at something that does not exist IRL. But ofcourse, The Little Helpers that are offended have another case of offensism to be pissed at.

You know, its times like these that i wonder who the actual demons are: The enemies in Doom, or those users who get offended at this. Its a joke, Lost Souls. (And in case one of those reads here: This is a sarcastic reference.) Why don't you ask those mutated hellspawn how they identify as aswell. Perhaps they are transgender brutes, you know? Why does ERA not ask this? I smell a case of demonic/mortally challenged transphobia in here..

PS: So somehow one is okay with the multitude of blood and slaughter and the fact a harmless virtual employee is nearly choked (Because hey, if you get offended at demons being the butt of a joke, why not stick it up for a non-existing employee aswell, right?) by the Doom Slayer but calling demons ''mortally challenged'' as a subtle jab to outrage culture and offensism is the straw?

Go outside and interact with people and nature for once. One afternoon outside will learn you more about how life and the world works than sitting behind your screen getting upset over a damn jab at something that does not exist IRL.

makaveli60

Looks incredible. Day 0.

lol resetera is offended at some of the underlying jokes in the game. Discussing politics in a doom game? Oh boy..
Hahaha, I love id software, they are metal as f**k (as they always were), although I feel they will be forced to backtrack...

Fbh

Turned on my PS4 yesterday and went straight to redownload the original one

This is why I love the DOOM 2016 one. get out with the stories, give me great gameplay.
One thing I loved about Doom 2016 is that while the story is left in the background. It's pretty fun and had some interesting lore

mayhemking

Hahaha, I love id software, they are metal as f**k (as they always were), although I feel they will be forced to backtrack...
It's a f-ing joke. Did everyones sense of humor die? I'll be so disgusted if they start censoring harmless jokes on the off chance that someone will be offended. It's Doom for crying out loud: SACK UP!

iconmaster

Banned

A couple of us at work picked up on some not-so-subtle digs at open borders immigration policy. Personally I enjoyed that.

“The transition will be a little tough, but everything will be better in the end. Make ‘em feel welcome!” *world burns*

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why do we keep updating old threads instead of creating new ones? E3 has long passed. Makes no sense to use this thread.

makaveli60

It's a f-ing joke. Did everyones sense of humor die? I'll be so disgusted if they start censoring harmless jokes on the off chance that someone will be offended. It's Doom for crying out loud: SACK UP!
No place for such jokes, only "love" and rainbows.

To be honest, I can understand they feel offended because of this, I would also feel bad if someone pointed out my insanity.

mayhemking

So this game is definitely leaning more into the cornball side of Doom which I like. He's even got a Predator-style shoulder mounted cannon for christ's sake lol.

Orta

Banned
Doomguy strutting through the Phobos space station is hilariously bad ass :D

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Well that looks awesome. The grappling hook is crazy - it didn't even occur to me that would work in this game but it looks like it's exactly what was needed for taking down cacodemons and flying around the huge arenas better. The new double dash looks like it will help in the same regard, as well as make it easier to dodge many attacks.

I'd still like to see more variety with the glory kills, but it's not a deal breaker. You'd think they'd at least have multiple demon glory kills - there's times where you get a group of them stunned with splash damage and it's dumb to pick them off one by one when you could use one of them to batter the rest.

Last edited:

GenericUser

"Humans can be considered an insult, we call them mortally challenged"

Doom Guy ripping everything apart. Dope af, day one of course.

The fact that you can invade other campaigns -> mind = blown.

mcz117chief

I am so glad that many of my gripes with the previous games have been addressed. This will truly be an outstanding game, I expect 9/10 at the very least, it looks mindblowing. The first part was kind of meh but the Phobos part was straight up genius and everything I wanted from a DOOM game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Also, don't forget the terrible sounds effects (super low volume for gun noises, explosives, etc.), bugged to hell pistol, very little blood and disappearing gore, no feedback on taking damage, boring music, worst BFG ever, horendous plasma gun firing animation, etc. etc.
DOOM 4 is a pretty good game but it can definitely be a 10/10 if they just fixed all this.

Have you tried the modern Shadow Warrior games? I enjoy them considerably more than I do DOOM 4.

I'm not a huge fan either but it really wasn't THAT bad, mate.

It wasn’t pretty clear, they also admitted it in the documentary, that they (greatly) evolved the game we know from a multiplayer battle arenas template hence most of the fights being able it fast movement in a relatively close space and very little of roaming enemies or major surprises for a portion of the game (the Hell levels were different as it was not just a corridor to Gore Nest to fight to corridor, etc...).

mcz117chief

It wasn’t pretty clear, they also admitted it in the documentary, that they (greatly) evolved the game we know from a multiplayer battle arenas template hence most of the fights being able it fast movement in a relatively close space and very little of roaming enemies or major surprises for a portion of the game (the Hell levels were different as it was not just a corridor to Gore Nest to fight to corridor, etc...).

That honestly didn't bother me that much, the little things do more because there is so many of them. Honestly my favourite part of DOOM 4 was the story and the character of DoomGuy, which many interpret wrong for some reason, and Samuel Hayden.

Last edited:
Top Bottom