• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3] Cyberpunk 2077 – E3 2018 Trailer

What rating would you give to this trailer

Votes: 7 2.4%

Votes: 1 0.3%

Votes: 7 2.4%

Votes: 6 2.0%

Votes: 14 4.7%

Votes: 21 7.1%

Votes: 32 10.8%

Votes: 55 18.6%

Votes: 55 18.6%

Votes: 98 33.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EDMIX

You do realize that the city is literally packed with npcs and different ai routines like never before? You can't of course expect the level of detail of linear, story driven games like death stranding and such. Even horizon, when still being open world, doesn't offer that kind of density. For what they're doing I am completely satisfied, I just hope the game will stay like that till the release.

"You do realize that the city is literally packed with npcs and different ai routines like never before?" Based on what evidence? I don't recall the team ever stating and stats to point to something revolutionary thats never been done.

Skyrim has many CITIES (plural) that have npcs with different ai routines. They go to sleep, they run shops, they can die etc. That was last gen mind you. So you need to describe specifically this "like never before". ie it has never happened before...

What would you be talking about exactly? ie facts.....

This sounds like what you and I want it to be, this doesn't sound like what the team has 100% verbatm descrbied the game as. I'd argue many teams might say the exact thing you are saying, yet not really mean to the same degree. Example.

Just Cause 4, lets just pretend I'm their PR, could I not say "the city is literally packed with npcs and different ai routines like never before"

The new Red Dead, "the city is literally packed with npcs and different ai routines like never before"

What is the never before? What is the thing you are talking about as it sounds like you are ASSUMING and PROJECTING what you want it to be, NOT what they factually confirmed verbatim. So I hope its what we all think it is, but it can very well be smaller then what you actually see ie (cut off points). We know not of the limitations of that city, so until they are letting us know every building can be entered, all that we can see, we can go to and interact with etc This is very much stuff we've see "before". Simply in a different setting.

EDMIX

I wasn't going to buy a next gen console at launch this time but everything I'm hearing about this game is surely going to force me to make the upgrade as soon as possible. No way will a base PS4 do this game justice. I'm not convinced that a PS4 Pro will be enough either. The scale of the world just sounds mind blowing.

Nothing to be forced. Its confirmed for this gen. I'd assume next gen will simply be a cross gen option.

EDMIX

You clearly haven't watched the press impressions videos, where they state that the level of the city detail, its scope, its verticality, and how it was PACKED with people like nothing before. Also, they all told us what they saw was unbelievable - ALL OF THEM- and one journalist plainly stated he "didn't think we had the technology to do that"¹.
But you know better from a bunch of screenshots.

¹ https://www.pcworld.com/article/3281374/e3/cyberpunk-2077-preview-e3.html

Thats nice....that simply means to them it was something they "didn't think we had the technology to do" Many stated the same thing about Horizon, God Of War, Witcher 3 etc. Simply means they are seeing it for the first time, not that its not feasible on this gen. If they told you The Last Of Us 2 was next gen footage, you might get the same reaction, but the faces on Cyberpunk don't look NEAR as good as what Naughty Dog has done with The Last Of Us 2, so this simply sounds like them seeing a good looking game, not them seeing a game that isn't feasble. As THEY ARE THE JOURNALIST NOT the developers....

I'd argue someone could say the same thing about God Of War on PS4 if they never knew it was running on PS4 and was just shown closed doors or something. So...yes, to them its something they didn't think was able to be done on PS4, thus...they now they know it can. They are the ones reporting the story bud, not the ones making they game. If they knew such a thing could be done, they'd be making it, not reporting it. Teams like this make games look so good, you might think that......doesn't mean its PS5 or anything like that.

Like someone stated, look at GTAV last gen, The Last Of Us last gen......those games simply PORTED TO CURRENT GEN, look just as good if not BETTER then some current gen games. That is simply based on amazing teams, not some voodoo magic that can ONLY be done next gen, as they would have never confirmed current gen systems if that was the case.

Kadayi

Banned
In that extensive Yongyea video, he did talk about the game opening up on a fairly busy public space area that he likened to Times Square in NY and Shiyuba Crossing in Japan in terms of population density. I dare say that there's likely a degree of exaggeration in that statement when it comes to scaling, but someone else definitely talked about that area reminding them of the degree of AI heavy populace demonstrated in some of the Hitman levels. I suspect CDP is really chasing the making the environment feel like a living breathing City so it would make sense that they'd put a lot of work into delivering density in that regard, however I doubt it's as commonplace in all environments.

ruvikx

Banned
I need to see gameplay for myself before I get excited. It's just a trailer, i.e. the rest (press opinions from a behind closed doors demonstration) can be taken with a pinch of salt - as always. I reckon CD Projekt have earned some trust after The Witcher 3, but it's just a game, i.e. a game made within the constraints of console tech dated 2013.

It does look seriously ambitious, I'll give them that. As for the rest (whether it delivers on its promises & the AI in particular is better than the norm), wait & see. I just have a problem getting 'hyped' for such an ambitious game made within the confines of the Ps4 & Xbox One's weak-ass CPU's. Did The Witcher 3 deliver on its promise? Yes, to an extent, but the NPC's meandering around town were still stupid as f*ck with bad animations & reactions (horses as well were mentally challenged).

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I wasn't going to buy a next gen console at launch this time but everything I'm hearing about this game is surely going to force me to make the upgrade as soon as possible. No way will a base PS4 do this game justice. I'm not convinced that a PS4 Pro will be enough either. The scale of the world just sounds mind blowing.
Let’s just hope they don’t gimp it so the consoles and PCs have some sort of perceived parity. God, that sucks when that happens. I’ll happily upgrade my PC for this game.

Skyn3t

Banned
Some stuff from 4chan's /v/. Don't know if it's legit, but sounds incredible.

Player can move around the city with a bike, car or metro. Bike can driven freely, car is more limited except for race sequences.
>Both bike and car have some custom options
>there are spontaneous riots that can occur in the city that will lead to fight between the police and the rioters. Also the trauma team moves around the city. None of this is scripted, it's all dynamic AI.
>player can get on top of every building in the game, including the highest skyscrapers
>the vertical distance between the highest and lowest point of the game world is about 5 kilometers
>because some events in the city are generated dynamically by the AI as described earlier, the city news that are broadcasted reflect these events. You can have weeklong riots in the city with detailed news coverage, dynamically generated and non-scripted. If the player participates, he will get to the news and can gain street-cred this way (or lose with certain factions it if he/she chooses to fight for the cops)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
giphy.gif

xool

Some stuff from 4chan's /v/. Don't know if it's legit, but sounds incredible.

there are spontaneous riots that can occur in the city that will lead to fight between the police and the rioters.

You can see this in the video feed in the official trailer 1min09sec

Also the trauma team moves around the city.

Am I the only one that wants the trauma team's outfit - the color, the logo, the helmet .. I wonder if you can apply for jobs ? eg https://cyberpunk.wikia.com/wiki/File:Misc_Image_Trauma_Team.jpg

In that extensive Yongyea video, he did talk about the game opening up on a fairly busy public space area that he likened to Times Square in NY and Shiyuba Crossing in Japan in terms of population density.

We'll see .. as I understand it each human is going to be "unique" in the game . not like say (older) Assassin's Creeds where the crowds are generic, and spawn/respawn as they come/go in/out of view.

Will be some hyperbole on journalist's "what I saw looked impossible" .. couple of points

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Well worth listening to what Mike Pondsmith has to say, including about first person (but audiosync seems fucked for me on this video - really offputting - had to scroll away from the video and treat it like a audio-cast)
The guy, who does the interview... Mike Pondsmith is sitting next to him and while MP speaks that douchebag starts to fiddle with his phone... That was a this is sparta moment for me.

sertopico

"You do realize that the city is literally packed with npcs and different ai routines like never before?" Based on what evidence? I don't recall the team ever stating and stats to point to something revolutionary thats never been done.

Skyrim has many CITIES (plural) that have npcs with different ai routines. They go to sleep, they run shops, they can die etc. That was last gen mind you. So you need to describe specifically this "like never before". ie it has never happened before...

What would you be talking about exactly? ie facts.....

This sounds like what you and I want it to be, this doesn't sound like what the team has 100% verbatm descrbied the game as. I'd argue many teams might say the exact thing you are saying, yet not really mean to the same degree. Example.

Just Cause 4, lets just pretend I'm their PR, could I not say "the city is literally packed with npcs and different ai routines like never before"

The new Red Dead, "the city is literally packed with npcs and different ai routines like never before"

What is the never before? What is the thing you are talking about as it sounds like you are ASSUMING and PROJECTING what you want it to be, NOT what they factually confirmed verbatim. So I hope its what we all think it is, but it can very well be smaller then what you actually see ie (cut off points). We know not of the limitations of that city, so until they are letting us know every building can be entered, all that we can see, we can go to and interact with etc This is very much stuff we've see "before". Simply in a different setting.
That's basically what everybody stated after playing the demo, so it's not my personal vision of the game but a matter of fact, unless everybody who tried it is lying. Besides, it's something that you can also see in the trailer. I also added at the end of my post that I do hope they will keep the game as it is now when it will be released, so please do not quote only what's good to make a point.
You mention Skyrim? That is one of the worst example you could have brought. Skyrim's NPCs have such basic AI and such few NPCs (i am talking about the vanilla game, not the modded one) that comparing it to this is honestly ridicolous. A stone age engine with some light modifications made in the years (it's still the Morrowind engine, just to make it clear), full of bugs, small cities, loading screens when transitioning to certain areas, limited interaction with the game world and the same dialogue tree with the most part of generic, forgettable NPC's. Such a bad game that in order to make it better they made it moddable so that people could improve it without investing a single cent.

Let's not compare chocolate with shit please.

Last edited:

RuhRo

I hope the comments about level density mean that this feels more like Deus Ex than Grand Theft Auto. Sprawling nonlinearity is great but I'm tired of repetitive open world games populated with rote fetch quests and shoot-outs.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I hope the comments about level density mean that this feels more like Deus Ex than Grand Theft Auto. Sprawling nonlinearity is great but I'm tired of repetitive open world games populated with rote fetch quests and shoot-outs.

Right but I feel you can go too far in the density direction as well. Huge fully explorable office towers could end up no more interesting that endless roads/street blocks.

There needs to be a right mix of both imo with decent amount of NPC's.

xool

Let's roll back the NPC numbers hype a bit to avoid disappointment.
Night City is packed with people (one section showed scores of computer-controlled people crossing a street) [Eurogamer]

So that's "scores" ie 20+, not hundreds, (so maybe comparible with console NPC levels in Novigrad ?)

..and remember the demo was running on a Intel i7-8700K 3.70Ghz +NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti using the same engine as the Witcher 3 .. whilst there may be some "secret sauce" there's real limits on how this is going to be on PS4/XONE.
Many of the game's action and dialogue sequences could have been taken from a PlayStation 4 in terms of handsome-yet-efficient effects pipelines and polygon budgets. [ArsTechnica]

but then
The number of detailed, varied, and stylish people walking around these streets, all animated in decidedly different ways and organically interacting with each other, was staggering. [ArsTechnica]

As good as the game is/will be this is journalist hype train on full power, nothing more .. notice how "the number [..] was staggering" , but we fail to get, an actual number. Didn't we hear the exact same thing when AC:Unity was previewed - I think we did.

Here's the bad news for console peasants
The whole thing looked like it required no less than three times the rendering budget of Witcher 3's demanding Novigrad City sequence. [Ars Technica]

Finally (from an ama at reddit) :
"..the population density reminded me of 2016 hitman, maybe slightly smaller though. There were tons of random events happening at once, it felt very cool and dynamic, like a living breathing world. There were police knocking on apartment doors, bustling market places with smoke filling up the air, homeless in the streets and boxers fighting training bots. The world felt very alive and the population density looked very impressive"

Hitman (2016) is not open world (fixed level), so the scope of Cyberpunk's design clearly exceeds that - it sounds like they are targetting this-gen consoles, but sounds like the demo they showed exceeded what they could do at stable 30fps.

Last edited:

EDMIX

That's basically what everybody stated after playing the demo, so it's not my personal vision of the game but a matter of fact, unless everybody who tried it is lying. Besides, it's something that you can also see in the trailer. I also added at the end of my post that I do hope they will keep the game as it is now when it will be released, so please do not quote only what's good to make a point.
You mention Skyrim? That is one of the worst example you could have brought. Skyrim's NPCs have such basic AI and such few NPCs (i am talking about the vanilla game, not the modded one) that comparing it to this is honestly ridicolous. A stone age engine with some light modifications made in the years (it's still the Morrowind engine, just to make it clear), full of bugs, small cities, loading screens when transitioning to certain areas, limited interaction with the game world and the same dialogue tree with the most part of generic, forgettable NPC's. Such a bad game that in order to make it better they made it moddable so that people could improve it without investing a single cent.

Let's not compare chocolate with shit please.

? Those NPC's still go to sleep, run shops, can die and have their own lives. The example was not based on saying Skyrim is Cyberpunk, but saying the AI described is NOT revolutionary even in the slightest. So talking about bugs, or dated engine is irrelevant to the point. I'd argue that only proves just how old that AI concept even is. So if a game that you just called "shit" is doing that same thing that came out in 2011, why would anyone take a game seriously with being amazed at concepts already done by a "shit" game? So understand what was being comparied was the AI, not the engine, lighting, mods, bugs etc. Grow up and read what is being stated...

Witcher 3 is an amazing game, but its NPCs are basically blind...in the game I've literally robbed them and they just stand there, they are not aware that you even eixst, yet in Skyrim or Fallout 3, 4 etc, if you steal something from a NPC, they will fight you, you will pay for what you did. Thus, the NPC in those games behave more REAL then those in The Witcher 3.

So NPC's having their own lives, running shops, sleeping, being able to die etc is not new to gaming, its just new to CDPR. Nothing described from that demo sounded brand new or never done before, simply new to the team... Talking bad about Bethesda has nothing to do with this topic and is just immature. smh

EDMIX

That's basically what everybody stated after playing the demo

Go to 27:49 please.

"they are not utterly fantastic, but they look pretty darn good"

"On par with whats out there right now?"

"I would say its on par, its not blowing my mind, but it looks pretty good"

Soooooo this person has seen it and what he is describing is not something that is not feasible this gen, in fact it is a mixture of many things that have already been done before.

NPC's with Skyrim or Fallout series have done what is being talked about, GTA has done what is being talked about as someone in this video has confirmed that is something that is done often in GTA ie you call a NPC and they don't pick up as they have their own lives etc (talking crap about GTA btw isn't going to disprove that its been done). We have massive crowds in Hitman, lots of NPCs in Fallout, lots of people in GTA, literally HUNDREDS of enemies on screen on Days Gone , this sounds like an amazing game, but an amazing game in the scope of this gen. Nothing thus far from what I have heard is out of scope of this gen ie never been done before or anything like that.

sertopico

? Those NPC's still go to sleep, run shops, can die and have their own lives. The example was not based on saying Skyrim is Cyberpunk, but saying the AI described is NOT revolutionary even in the slightest. So talking about bugs, or dated engine is irrelevant to the point. I'd argue that only proves just how old that AI concept even is. So if a game that you just called "shit" is doing that same thing that came out in 2011, why would anyone take a game seriously with being amazed at concepts already done by a "shit" game? So understand what was being comparied was the AI, not the engine, lighting, mods, bugs etc. Grow up and read what is being stated...

Witcher 3 is an amazing game, but its NPCs are basically blind...in the game I've literally robbed them and they just stand there, they are not aware that you even eixst, yet in Skyrim or Fallout 3, 4 etc, if you steal something from a NPC, they will fight you, you will pay for what you did. Thus, the NPC in those games behave more REAL then those in The Witcher 3.

So NPC's having their own lives, running shops, sleeping, being able to die etc is not new to gaming, its just new to CDPR. Nothing described from that demo sounded brand new or never done before, simply new to the team... Talking bad about Bethesda has nothing to do with this topic and is just immature. smh
We're not talking about revolutionary AI but about the unicity of the characters you are supposed to meet and all the different tasks they can absolve in the game, that is why I think that the Skyrim example doesn't fit at all. Yes, they sleep and run their shops, that's it. There is nothing in the middle, other that standing still like a stuffed animal. In this way I never felt inside a living world, rather into a medieval theme park. That's exactly the opposite of CDP games where many characters have a personality, a solid back story and interesting lines of dialogues, even for the most secondary quest. It's true, you can't interact with everybody of them but I don't see the point into doing that. You talk about stealing stuff? Is that the core mechanic of TW3? Skyrim is designed, so that you can basically be anybody at the same time, you can be a wizard, a thief and a warrior at the same time. Very coherent... Oblivion was better on this behalf. Oh, you can put a bucket on some npc's head and steal everything. That blows my mind. I prefer a game that aims to be one thing but well done rather than being many things but extremely superficial and lacking personality. It's a matter of taste I would say. I don't understand why you keep telling me about growing up and such, for what reason should you feel entitled about saying that? Ah yes, the keyboard. To return in topic, I totally accept some lack of details on the models in order to play in a world that actually feels alive and not just a film prop.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm not entirely sure what's being argued here. The plain truth of the matter is, we won't know how many NPCs the game engine can handle until we see the 50-minute demo in action ourselves and in all likelihood that might not happen until Gamescom, and even then CDP might not show it after all the kickback they got over that early Witcher 3 footage, having more bells and whistles than the final product delivered.

Frankly, I wouldn't get too caught up about it. The vast bulk of NPCs in the game are simply going to be wallpaper regardless of how many there are. If they can push the envelope in terms of delivery and make the City feel like a City in terms of foot traffic and all, that's great, but I'm not holding out any expectations for bustling streets of engageable AI, versus the odd one here and there, in a sea of blanks. Similarly for all the talk of NPCs all looking unique, again I dare say that they have a robust character creator under the hood, but repetition is inevitable when you're dealing with hardware capability.

Last edited:

xool

Anyone linked this yet :

https://kotaku.com/why-cyberpunk-2077-is-taking-so-long-1826920382

Jason Schreir interview with Marcin Iwiński. (the article is only a summary)

Some vague talk about an early reboot to development. If you're looking for new game details you'll get bored. Lots of general video-game development talk.

One snippet - 800 people at GOG/CDProjekt - 600 devs, 100 on Gwent - says 400 devs on Cyberpunk ( so 100 missing or just bad at maths ?)

Won't be drawn on next gen (PS5 etc) - still targeting PS4 etc. They'll be at Gamescom.

Interview starts at ~1:50 on the mp3 podcast

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Anyone linked this yet :

https://kotaku.com/why-cyberpunk-2077-is-taking-so-long-1826920382

Jason Schreir interview with Marcin Iwiński. (the article is only a summary)

Some vague talk about an early reboot to development. If you're looking for new game details you'll get bored. Lots of general video-game development talk.

One snippet - 800 people at GOG/CDProjekt - 600 devs, 100 on Gwent - says 400 devs on Cyberpunk ( so 100 missing or just bad at maths ?)

Won't be drawn on next gen (PS5 etc) - still targeting PS4 etc. They'll be at Gamescom.

Interview starts at ~1:50 on the mp3 podcast
100 running the GoG gaming platform and website?

Kadayi

Banned
I guess it is backoffice and other people who are not developers.

^ This. They undoubtedly have a fair sized IT crew to keep everything shipshape for starters, then you've got HR/Personnel. Probably a Graphics department (for documentation and website) as well as the staff running GOG. People always underestimate how much support takes up at a company.

sertopico

It has been removed, it was clearly a violation... Better waiting for Gamescom for a full picture and not just audio.

Last edited:

MadYarpen

I think we should do ourselves a favour and wait for a proper gameplay... What's the point of listening to that? I think you will know even more only by reading some reports, some are incredibly detailed.

Kadayi

Banned
I think we should do ourselves a favour and wait for a proper gameplay... What's the point of listening to that? I think you will know even more only by reading some reports, some are incredibly detailed.

True enough. I'm more interested in what the developer has to say directly though.

alife

Female V kind of sounds like the female protagonist in Fallout 4.

Didn't see this posted:

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-06-21-blood-sweat-tears-cyberpunk-2077

The five-year silence is also partly attributable to The Witcher 3. Iwiński tells us development of the best-selling RPG "sucked us in totally", to the point where work all but ceased on Cyberpunk. Even the massive expansions for Geralt's last outing meant only a small production team could be preparing for the sci-fi title.

"Initially we thought maybe we could make two big games at the same time, but it just wasn't possible," says Iwiński. "But finally, we're able to show something. After showing the CGI teaser, the next reasonable step was for us to show the game, so that's what we're doing - albeit behind closed doors, where we're getting a great reception."

Psykodad

Banned
Haven't been following this game, but isn't this supposed to be 1st person?
I highly doubt actual gameplay will reach the trailer's quality.

I hope they make a great game, though. Not a big fan of CD Project, they know how to make good games, but I think they're not quite up there yet on the technical side of things (performance/animations/overall quality).

Last edited:

Paasei

Curious to see what the gameplay will look like. Hope to see that in the near future. The trailer surely brought it's own vibe.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
OMG cyberpunk 2077 looks so good. Digital foundry just put up a video talking about the closed gameplay demo they held at e3. Sounds incredible.

Kadayi

Banned
Apparently, CDP released the system specs of the machine they ran the demo on: -

Specs below: -

CPU: Intel i7-8700K@3.70GHz
MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V. 2x16GB, 3000MHz, CL15
GPU: Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB M.2 PCIe
PSU: Corsair SF600 600W

Pretty beefy, but it's not like it was some quadruple SLI Titan monstrosity. Plus they were running it in 4K from what I understand. So I imagine the GPU requirements are less demanding if it's 1080P you are after.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
If you watched the video I have a feeling there's going to be a special announcement of this jewel dropping early next year @Gamescom..it just screams, "I'm ready just need to weed out the bugs"

Yeah. I don't get the impression that what was shown wasn't a vertical slice made solely for presentation versus something that is fairly well realised but still requires a good 9 - 12 months to come to fruition. I just don't think CDP would be showing it at all if it was still 2 years away unless they were after investment.

thelastword

Banned
Yeah. I don't get the impression that what was shown wasn't a vertical slice made solely for presentation versus something that is fairly well realised but still requires a good 9 - 12 months to come to fruition. I just don't think CDP would be showing it at all if it was still 2 years away unless they were after investment.
This is CDPR, this game is not going to be 2019, late 2020 is it's best bet. This is going to be a crosss-gen game landing on or near PS5's launch...

twistedniko

Neo Member
I've already packed up my hype suitcase, found a nice spot in the back of the closet so when it is time to fly I will be ready.

MadYarpen

Initially I thought this will be a 2019 game, but after reading all the impressions and interviews now I am pretty sure it is 2020 at the earliest. I mean look on how many questions the answer is "we are looking into this". If it was 2019 game many of these things should be already decided.

What is worse it seems it actually wasn't in developmet for 5 last years, because due to the witcher the work on CP was very limited. So with blood and wine released in may 2016, I guess we are talking about 2-3 years of development.

Which, after reading this, also seems like quite some time, so maybe they are more advanced than I thought? So many questions...

Kadayi

Banned
This is CDPR, this game is not going to be 2019, late 2020 is it's best bet. This is going to be a crosss-gen game landing on or near PS5's launch...

Did you even watch the Digital Foundry video? Up to now, I'd been in the 2020 camp but after that....I'm not so sure we won't see it sooner. The guy there said in terms of what was shown it seems pretty feature complete, just a little bit buggy in places.

What is worse it seems it actually wasn't in developmet for 5 last years, because due to the witcher the work on CP was very limited. So with blood and wine released in may 2016, I guess we are talking about 2-3 years of development.

I'm pretty sure I read about this a few years back that the initial CG trailer was just really an announcement of them having the IP and was more a thing to get talented developers interested in joining the firm (so they could establish a new Studio). When that first trailer came out, albeit we knew TW3 was coming, it hadn't yet launched to global success after all.

Top Bottom