• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3] Cyberpunk 2077 – E3 2018 Trailer

What rating would you give to this trailer

Votes: 7 2.4%

Votes: 1 0.3%

Votes: 7 2.4%

Votes: 6 2.0%

Votes: 14 4.7%

Votes: 21 7.1%

Votes: 32 10.8%

Votes: 55 18.6%

Votes: 55 18.6%

Votes: 98 33.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Valthael

Neo Member
There's so much salt over the fact this is a first person game. I trust CDPR, if they say this is the best thing for this game, I believe them.

Naked Lunch

First person killed this game for me. First person exploritive rpgs always give me a headache for whatever reason - I cant play Elder Scroll in 1st person for example. Too bad.

longdi

Banned
The fact CDPR showed the trailer under the guise of TPV, they know FPV will get major back-lash.

A massive game world needs to be in TPV. I cant imagine the crouching, wall-guying, melee, traversing in FPV, so fucking nothing and constrained. It is turning to be another FPS type RPG for the dudebros, CDPR wanting to fall in line....

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
There's so much salt over the fact this is a first person game. I trust CDPR, if they say this is the best thing for this game, I believe them.
While I would tend to agree, it's not as if they have never made poor decisions or failed to execute. I mean, the Witcher 3, as great as it is, suffers from some sub-par combat mechanics, uneven character/skill development, uninspired loot, and a strange offset camera to name a few. I think it is ok to be critical of their design choices and not just assume they can do no wrong.

Fuz

Banned
I'm a gamer since the Commodore 64 and I never been so hyped in my life before. Not even for TW3.

This has a huge chance to become the second best game of all time.

sublimit

Banned
First person-only is a huge turn-off for me (along with the cliche aesthetics). I will still get it at some point due to TW3 being one of my favorite games of all time but now I think i'll wait for a sale.

xool

They why do FP games usually have smaller FOVS?

I'm not sure that they do .. either way it's a design choice or a performance thing - Kingdom of Amalur was TP and had an atrocious FOV almost certainly for performance reasons. Human FOV is something like 210 degrees horizontal - but you probably don't usually get anything like that in a standard FP set up becuase of "fishbowling" due to the way rasterisation (is usually done) works today.

..I don't have hard numbers across multiple games though ....

Last edited:

oagboghi2

The fact CDPR showed the trailer under the guise of TPV, they know FPV will get major back-lash.

A massive game world needs to be in TPV. I cant imagine the crouching, wall-guying, melee, traversing in FPV, so fucking nothing and constrained. It is turning to be another FPS type RPG for the dudebros, CDPR wanting to fall in line....
You can't imagine a open world first person game? So Skyrim and Fallout don't exist anymore?

What "guise of third-person"? All they have shown is cg trailers. Anything you have assumed has just been you making up stuff in your head.

Last edited:

xool

^^ (2 above)

yeah it's not like stuff similar to this doesn't exists - eg Chris Avellone's Dying Light 2 is first person with parkour and stuff (also Mirrors Edge)

I thought the reason Bethesda added third person (starting with Oblivion) was sales .. don't think the customers they could lose would be insignificant

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Bunch of articles with impressions titbits following the press screening of the 50-minute demo. I've pulled out a few choice ones: -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...ng-details-about-cyberpunk-2077/#385855a6608b

CDPR was quick to say that even though it’s first-person, there will still be plenty of opportunities to see your created character (named “V” who can be either a man or a woman), so presumably in cutscenes and also conversations, again, like Fallout.
In the demo, the HUD was almost non-existent. In combat, more information appears

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/06/...-like-the-witcher-but-it-does-look-incredible

The eye (which you see installed in her head from its perspective and is one of the all-time creepiest and coolest pieces of equipment I’ve seen in a game) gives V the ability to zoom and scan enemies and vehicles.

That scanning is important because there appear to be four different types of damage in Cyberpunk 2077: Physical, Thermal, EMP, and Chemical. Scanning shows you what damage the enemy uses, as well as what they are weak or strong against.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/06/...-2077-details-game-is-a-first-person-rpg-more

Gameplay is in first a first-person perspective, but switched to third-person during a cutscene.

Your apartment is a set place that fills with all of the clothes and weapons you get, though you don't have to go there to swap.

You'll be able to get more and different apartments throughout the game.

Some enemies have question marks instead of levels, possibly meaning they're much higher level than you.

Damage numbers pop up during combat.

There's an inspection system lets you look super close at items and learn more about lore.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-gameplay-and-interviewed-cd-projekt-about-it

The first-person shooting includes a slow motion "bullet time" effect and a slide move. You can combine the two for dramatic effect.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a mature game intended for a mature audience, CD Projekt said, and as a result, features full frontal nudity.

Cyberpunk isn't afraid to swear - there were a couple of c-bombs in our demo and plenty of f-words.

You have an apartment and can have one-night stands with people. (We see V wake up from one of these just as her fleeting partner walks out of her apartment.)

The city has been designed to be interactive. You can interact with an advert and it will tell you where to buy the product. In our demo, V was pointed to a can of soda, which she bought from a vending machine.

CD Projekt said there are no loading screens in Cyberpunk 2077's open world. The city is divided up into six unique districts. Our demo took place in Watson.

Night City is packed with people (one section showed scores of computer-controlled people crossing a street). Quests and points of interest are everywhere, and the people who fill the city offer plenty of ambient dialogue. In one street I noticed a crime scene, with holographic recreations of the crime visible behind police lines. Neon is everywhere. And yes, there's a noodle bar.

Cyberpunk 2077 has a cool ricochet targeting system that lets you bounce bullets off of walls. You can see the path the bullets will take, Peggle style, when aiming against walls.

https://www.pcgamer.com/cyberpunk-2...ltiplayer-but-its-a-possibility-after-launch/

"We have multiplayer in R&D, but the game we're shipping to you, the game you're going to buy is the single-player experience," Mills explains to EG. "That's really what we're concentrating on now, the single-player RPG experience. That's what we want to nail down before we start looking at any of these other things."

Mills explains that said multiplayer R&D refers to both CD Projekt Red as a studio, but also Cyberpunk 2077 explicitly. When asked if this means multiplayer might be a post-launch consideration, Mills tells EG: "Maybe, no promises. Nothing at launch. At launch we're concentrating on the single-player game. That's what we want to give you."

Personally, have to say that I'm pleased to hear that the Hud is unobtrusive and only really shows itself when necessary, however, given that they're clearly aiming for a high degree of fidelity to the experience by going first person I'm hoping that the hit numbers can be turned off or changed. That idea put me right off the division truth be told. I'm hoping that damage is more reflected in the game world itself visually in the deteriorating appearance of enemies rather than some abstract health bar.

Still overall the impressions from the press that I've read are overwhelmingly positive, lets hope we get to see some of that demo footage at some point.

Last edited:

Kreydo

No, it doesn't.

And I'm so fucking happy we won't have to deal with a shitty offcentered camera.

Console restrictions and dev incompetence.
Don't blame other for willing something else, you are being ignorant here.

TP camera is way better when it comes to close range and melee combat or outdoor environement, because you got a real body awarness while moving.
However FP camera isn't this immersive specialy when it comes to console platform where the FOV is very limited, human FOV is twice as large as gaming FOV... FP view isn't the pinacle of immersiv feeling, it just depend of the situation.
And being able to switch from TP to FP anytime is the best way to play.

So calm down and add some water in your vine.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Did I miss something or not a single journalist asked about VR?

Yeah I've not encountered any questions in that regard so far, however, I suspect the specs just to run the game normally are pretty daunting so VR likely isn't a priority versus something that might happen down the line at a guess.

Bl@de

First person ist the perfect choice. Looking forward to snappy Mouse/Keyboard gunfights. Cyberpunk is shaping up as the new Deus Ex meets Crysis. Press impressions just make the wait so much harder.

Fuz

Banned
Don't blame other for willing something else, you are being ignorant here.

TP camera is way better when it comes to close range and melee combat or outdoor environement, because you got a real body awarness while moving.
However FP camera isn't this immersive specialy when it comes to console platform where the FOV is very limited, human FOV is twice as large as gaming FOV... FP view isn't the pinacle of immersiv feeling, it just depend of the situation.
And being able to switch from TP to FP anytime is the best way to play.

So calm down and add some water in your vine.
You're talking out of your ass.
The most immersive worlds are FPP. Daggerfall, Skyrim and the likes. Skyrim is a hugely worse game than Witcher 3, but it's more immersive due to the perspective used. Seeing yourself from the outside makes "you" not "you" anymore.
And I'm sure CDPR knows better.

But you can keep on crying like a kid about MUH THIRD PERSHUN.

Given what people are saying about the game VR seems highly unlikely.

Yeah, hard to think that level of quality and detail on VR. But one can dream. Cyberpunk would be *the* game best suited for it, due to things like ocular implants and the likes.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Some post demo Video Impressions. Nothing that you won't necessarily get from reading an article, just fun to watch people just losing it with how bowled over they were.

Interview by Geoff K with a couple of the devs where they answer some questions and address the whole FP aspect: -

Also a Video from Digital foundry that gets into the particulars of the updated RED engine: -

xool

I doubt we will get to see the whole 50 minutes but there will be something later today

Wait what is "Xbox Live" .. is this a video feed ? How to get on PC ?? (I have old Live account, but 360 is long dead..)

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Some people think it might just be more talk, but I suspect it will be footage although probably not the whole 50-minute demo, also if my calculations are right (and they might not be..) then we are talking 9.50 GMT on XBox Live and 11.45 GMT on the as yet unannounced Twitch stream.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
After the TW3 downgrade controversy, I doubt we'll see in-game footage until they're really ready to show it.

Gorgon

They said in Twitter that they're not showing anything at this time, so don't keep your hopes up. Hope I'm wrong, though.

xool

They said in Twitter that they're not showing anything at this time, so don't keep your hopes up. Hope I'm wrong, though.

So another trailer ?

I had a thought - what if they showed the same trailer, but this time at night.. I could live with that type of trolling ..

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I can’t help but wonder if the people who refuse to play a FPS because it gives them a “headache” or makes them “sick”, get nosebleeds as soon as they leave their house.

Makariel

I can’t help but wonder if the people who refuse to play a FPS because it gives them a “headache” or makes them “sick”, get nosebleeds as soon as they leave their house.
Wait, you don't leave the house in third person?

Okay so if this is popular and first person, that means there's no reason From can't make a new King's Field and I can finally stop asking; right? RE7 seems to have done well in FP, if this does, what's your answer, From?

Personally, I prefer third person but I can do a first person rpg if it's done well which in this sense I believe it will be. It will probably feel like a modern Deus Ex (possibly minus the third person cover mechanics) and probably play very well.

A lot of great games that were/are not shooters like the original Thief 1/2, System Shock, and the original Deus Ex used first person to great effect.

It is a mode though that not everyone prefers so they have to understand their audience and a toggle is the best compromise, IMO.

he's back doing some cyberpunk cosplay
iqdcnoebsypepispdkdg.jpg

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
I don't get why people slam themselves onto the concrete about this first person perspective. The developer has a flawless track record and yet people complain about things they didn't even seen. What about waiting for a gameplay movie?!

siavash

Neo Member
I don't get why people slam themselves onto the concrete about this first person perspective. The developer has a flawless track record and yet people complain about things they didn't even seen. What about waiting for a gameplay movie?!
flawless?
the witcher 3 combat had a lot of problems,just because they made a great game,it does not make it flawless and even if they did it does not mean they will always make great games,they also made two games that were not masterpieces

Dibils2k

flawless?
the witcher 3 combat had a lot of problems,just because they made a great game,it does not make it flawless and even if they did it does not mean they will always make great games,they also made two games that were not masterpieces
and they were 3rd person, so clearly the camera aspect is not a huge part of the quality of the game lol

Fuz

Banned
Well, as I already stated, I get nauseous for kind of the opposite reason. Third person offcentered camera makes me feel ill. So, nothing strange about people feeling ill with FPP. Especially on console games, where the FOV is always super low.
BUT in the case of FPP just increasing the fov (and possibly removing head bobbing) helps a lot. Never understood why FP console games have such low FOV, maybe because of the distance of the player from the TV screen? In any case, when a dev doesn't give a FOV slider it's just blatant incompetence.

he's back doing some cyberpunk cosplay
iqdcnoebsypepispdkdg.jpg
I want that fucking jacket.
I wish someone had asked them if Ciri is going to be in it.
Probably an easter egg of some sort.
i do not care about the 3rd person,i am just saying they are not gods,i still trust them but have my share of doubts
They're the greatest developers, on various viewpoints, of the last 10 years AT LEAST.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Well, as I already stated, I get nauseous for kind of the opposite reason. Third person offcentered camera makes me feel ill. So, nothing strange about people feeling ill with FPP. Especially on console games, where the FOV is always super low.
BUT in the case of FPP just increasing the fov (and possibly removing head bobbing) helps a lot. Never understood why FP console games have such low FOV, maybe because of the distance of the player from the TV screen? In any case, when a dev doesn't give a FOV slider it's just blatant incompetence.
You feel physically ill when a controllable character is off-centre in a video game? Have you ever consulted a doctor as to why?

Sometimes it bothers me a tiny bit initially, in a “that’s annoying” sense, but I usually forget about it after a bit of time with the game. But, to make you sick. That doesn’t seem normal. I’d be wondering if there is a more serious issue involved. That sucks.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm also an off-centre camera hater...It gives me mild OCD.

I am also ecstatic that this will be first person, I feel about 200% more immersed in an RPG in FPP, and by the sounds even melee is fun (somehow) in FPP in Cyberpunk 2077...no small feat!!

A lot of people are making comparisons to Titanfall 1/2 in terms of movement and gunplay...holy shit YES!!

kunonabi

FP games are the opposite of immersive for me. It's that simple. I can put up with it in some instances but it's almost never a better option than third person as it's always more limited.

Nutsogood

Neo Member
This and the TLOU pt2 was probably the most impressive things I've seen for E3. I have no problem with this game being mostly first person, I pretty much trust CDPR to make a pretty awesome game regardless of perspective. The game is being made with crazy detail, you can only see so much in third person IMO. You will still see your character in some sort of third person when there are cut scenes, pretty sure there will be tons of those. I don't know about the rest of you, but to actually get a cyberpunk type RPG game that looks like this and being developed by CDPR, this is just awesome to me.

The ambition is pretty high for the developer/publisher and they seem dedicated to making game FOR the players. They aren't using any resources to incorporate grimey micro transactions into the game, regardless if it's cosmetic. Their DLC practice is probably the best in the business for the players. Anyway I'm confident as a consumer that this game will be freakin great.

Top Bottom