• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-MS] Why Ninja Theory joined Xbox.

GymWolf

i probably never really enjoyed a game from them but under microsoft with a big load of money maybe they will change my mind.

Last edited:
This is the post that person was replying to.

Notice the part about downplaying the acquisition of the studio... Comparing this game to AAA games just because... Without knowing, or while being disingenuous to the fact that, the studio that made this game is very small and the game was a side project well before the studio got acquired so there is no way MS's so called "Workhorse throwaway Gamepass Initiative" could have dictated the direction of this game...

Still following? Good!

The amount of developers that worked on the game are absolutely relevant.
I'm aware of the post it was replying to, thanks - that's the reason I replied with derision because excusing valid criticisms as "hate" was an incredibly stupid thing to do. And yes, they are valid criticisms. A AAA studio relegated to B-tier trash is not a good look, as evidenced by the reviews and player impressions alike. It's pure GamePass shovelware. It doesn't fucking matter if it was half-complete before the acquisition - the point is that Microsoft said yes, we want that on Game Pass. And no, despite all your kicking and screaming: the amount of devs is indeed completely irrelevant. It has the Ninja Theory name, it's not some sub-studio like Ninja Theory Indie or some shit. Stop making pathetic excuses for their relegation to B-tier crap in this instance.

You don't judge the potential of an entire studio on the output of a tiny fraction of it's devs.
I wasn't judging the potential of an entire studio on a tiny fraction. I was judging their potential on THEIR ENTIRE HISTORY OF GAMES, including their most recent "hit": Bleeding Edge. :)
Oh, and I'd love to have your time machine mate. Let me know when you're done with the rental! Would love to see how all these games are going to end up just like you did. Not that I need to since I have my own psychic powers... Whoa, I'm sensing a reading from you now!... Squints eyes... Ohmmm Ohmmm, All MS Gaympiss geyms Trsh, Ohmmm Ohmmm. Wow, how'd I do?
Lmao, this retard (see apology in next post) thinks I'm a console warrior. I've got more important things to do than cheerlead a piece of plastic, thanks. But I now see why you're being so obnoxious about me laughing at the notion of a GamePass title receiving undeserved "hate" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
I'm aware of the post it was replying to, thanks - that's the reason I replied with derision because excusing valid criticisms as "hate" was an incredibly stupid thing to do. And yes, they are valid criticisms. A AAA studio relegated to B-tier trash is not a good look, as evidenced by the reviews and player impressions alike. It's pure GamePass shovelware. It doesn't fucking matter if it was half-complete before the acquisition - the point is that Microsoft said yes, we want that on Game Pass. And no, despite all your kicking and screaming: the amount of devs is indeed completely irrelevant. It has the Ninja Theory name, it's not some sub-studio like Ninja Theory Indie or some shit. Stop making pathetic excuses for their relegation to B-tier crap in this instance.
The criticism wasn't valid in THIS specific case for the reasons already given. That GAMEPASS had nothing to do with the way the game turned out. That was the friggin point. Sorry if you can't understand that.

No matter the caliber of a studio, it doesn't mean they can't try to make AA level, or B tier stuff if THEY want to. Which THEY did in this instance well before they joined MS.

And I don't know but the reason the poster brought up "hate" prob has something to do with people who seemingly are so quick to pull out their "hate boners" for anything gamepass as can be seen here...

And no, I'm not saying they shouldn't be concerned if it's not what they want from the service. I'm saying that this is a very bad example for the reasons given.

Now, if you want to judge the game specifically then I'm all for it. I think it's lacking as well. I tend to err on the side of "it's prob going to be bad" if I hear early on in development about all kinds of diversity crap. I think "get woke go broke." actually has some truth to it but I always try to reserve judgement. But, again, in this instance, gamepass has nothing to do with the way the game turned out.

I wasn't judging the potential of an entire studio on a tiny fraction. I was judging their potential on THEIR ENTIRE HISTORY OF GAMES, including their most recent "hit": Bleeding Edge. :)
Are you the other poster? Because I wasn't talking about you, that 's what the OTHER poster was doing... Though I can't find anywhere in your posts that you could have possibly been trying to make the point that you where judging their potential based on that...

Lmao, this retard thinks I'm a console warrior. I've got more important things to do than cheerlead a piece of plastic, thanks. But I now see why you're being so obnoxious about me laughing at the notion of a GamePass title receiving undeserved "hate" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I never said you where a console warrior dude. I was just learning the language of the natives so to speak. If you don't like what you hear, maybe try to change your obnoxious attitude, friend. I'm not normally hostile like this, especially to those I don't agree with, check my history if you don't believe me. I'd rather everyone try to be less hostile and get along.

As it stands, with your attitude, I'd rather be changing my kids stinky diaper than interacting with you. So if it continues, then you know why I'm not responding.

Edit: Hmm, what could you be looking for? 😘
XXbEOfw.jpg
Well since you brought it up... Was trying to deescalate the situation. Was just trying to see if we had any common ground. Got to the end of the first page and then I decided that I don't have the time right now and chose to just let you see through my post history that I'm no fanboy and I'd rather not have a hostile convo. Believe it or not, not everyone is out to get you mate.

Pallas

Gold Member
Reading all these old posts about how this is great as they can make their epic sprawling narrative-driven titles with massive budgets, seriously underestimated how many of these first-party studios would just become work-horses for throw-away gamepass titles.

6l9dYXY.png

Hellblade 2 and Project Mara looks promising but single out a game that was already on production before Microsoft purchased them and is consider a side project. Lol Never change, warrior.

The criticism wasn't valid in THIS specific case for the reasons already given. That GAMEPASS had nothing to do with the way the game turned out. That was the friggin point. Sorry if you can't understand that.

No matter the caliber of a studio, it doesn't mean they can't try to make AA level, or B tier stuff if THEY want to. Which THEY did in this instance well before they joined MS.

And I don't know but the reason the poster brought up "hate" prob has something to do with people who seemingly are so quick to pull out their "hate boners" for anything gamepass as can be seen here...

And no, I'm not saying they shouldn't be concerned if it's not what they want from the service. I'm saying that this is a very bad example for the reasons given.

Now, if you want to judge the game specifically then I'm all for it. I think it's lacking as well. I tend to err on the side of "it's prob going to be bad" if I hear early on in development about all kinds of diversity crap. I think "get woke go broke." actually has some truth to it but I always try to reserve judgement. But, again, in this instance, gamepass has nothing to do with the way the game turned out.

Are you the other poster? Because I wasn't talking about you, that 's what the OTHER poster was doing... Though I can't find anywhere in your posts that you could have possibly been trying to make the point that you where judging their potential based on that...

I never said you where a console warrior dude. I was just learning the language of the natives so to speak. If you don't like what you hear, maybe try to change your obnoxious attitude, friend. I'm not normally hostile like this, especially to those I don't agree with, check my history if you don't believe me. I'd rather everyone try to be less hostile and get along.

As it stands, with your attitude, I'd rather be changing my kids stinky diaper than interacting with you. So if it continues, then you know why I'm not responding.
I responded with attitude because your insinuation that I didn't understand my own joke was perplexing, and also because I knew that responding would lead to some bullshit dragged out 'argument' over something completely unimportant.
Maybe I pushed it too far, and for that I apologize. I rarely (if ever) call people names; it was out of character. I just really disliked the insinuation that I'm a console warrior shitting on Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony/Epic/whatever just because A/B/C.

Having said that, I really don't agree that Game Pass had nothing to do with Bleeding Edge's quality. According to the other poster, it was shelved, right? So, after the acquisition, Microsoft looked at Ninja Theory's slate of incomplete games and thought, "yeah, that'll be perfect for Game Pass", polished it up and shipped it in record time so it could be March's spotlight game or whatever. To me, the sequence of events is clear as day. If you can't see that then... that's fine, I guess. I'm really not interested in dragging out this conversation any further to be honest lol

Regardless, I hope for the best for Ninja Theory's future endeavors, I really do. As I posted in the first page of this thread:
Best of luck to them and Microsoft. I enjoy many aspects of Ninja Theory's games (particularly Enslaved's narrative, but I think that was more of Alex Garland's influence), but they've never quite delivered on the gameplay front. Even Hellblade had some glaring problems.
I'm hopeful, but wary. And Bleeding Edge was not a good first impression of the acquisition.

Having said that, I really don't agree that Game Pass had nothing to do with Bleeding Edge's quality. According to the other poster, it was shelved, right? So, after the acquisition, Microsoft looked at Ninja Theory's slate of incomplete games and thought, "yeah, that'll be perfect for Game Pass", polished it up and shipped it in record time so it could be March's spotlight game or whatever. To me, the sequence of events is clear as day. If you can't see that then... that's fine, I guess. I'm really not interested in dragging out this conversation any further to be honest lol
I don't think gamepass had anything to do with the quality as in I don't think it dictated anything design or game-play wise. Since, like you said, the game was already nearly finished. It just happened to be something MS thought would be a good fit. Especially since It's a genre that they don't already have as far as I'm aware. So the devs in question at NT received the funding to polish it up, market it a bit, and ship it. Plus, part of the deal when acquiring NT was that they where allowed to make the games they wanted. Who knows, maybe this was part of that deal.

The reality is, that many studios and devs have side projects like these that they wish they could have funding and publishing for but it's rare that it ever happens.

Just so you know, I'd gladly cede the point to you if this was a project dictated by MS through a gamepass initiative. But We'll have to agree to disagree for the time being. I'm as hopeful as anyone that gamepass doesn't turn into a trash service that just pushes AA and indie stuff. Though I think that would still have it's place as long as MS as a whole still pushed out AAA's. But that is a different discussion all together lol.

Also, you've earned some mad respect from me mate. Takes the biggest of men to pause and walk something back. I really mean that.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I think that they would go through micromanagement for a couple of years before they fade out of existence.
You mean like all of those Sony studios that were closed and faded out of existence.
989 Studios (closed in 2005)
Bigbig Studios(closed in 2012)
Contrail(closed in 2000)
Evolution Studios(closed in 2016)
Incognito Entertainment(closed in 2009)
Studio Liverpool(closed in 2012)
Zipper Interactive(closed in 2012)
Guerrilla Cambridge(closed in 2017)
Team Ico(closed in 2011)
Manchester Studio(closed in 2020)

Bernkastel

Reading all these old posts about how this is great as they can make their epic sprawling narrative-driven titles with massive budgets, seriously underestimated how many of these first-party studios would just become work-horses for throw-away gamepass titles.

6l9dYXY.png
Both Bleeding Edge and Grounded existed before the acquisition. Lets just completely ignore Hellblade II and Project Mara to fit the narrative.

Hostile_18

Banned
Kinda hoping these acquisitions could lead to a resurgence of AA/middle-tier games. There is a middle ground between indie and blockbusters that needs to be filled.

I agree but this is a world where if a game scores less than 80 here, most wouldnt buy it.

In their defence money is tight, now more than ever so it would have to be priced accordingly.

So you mean Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, Hellblade and a few others?
Amazing games...

And having a sub team creating some smaller experimental games from time to time is good for a studio.
Also, If Gamepass leads to those smaller games having a chance to get released I just see a win/win situation.

If it's shit, well, just don't play it. But there might be some great little gems there.
But if the only thing you can play is EYY EYY EYY games with HUUUUUGE Budgets, than this is not for you, I guess.

I am looking forward to their next games.

Last edited:

Flintty

6l9dYXY.png

I think it’s important to point out that whilst the gameplay isn’t great (in my opinion) the actual art of creating the game, from visuals to performance, is superb. It’s a polished game technically, it’s just that the concept is a bit flat. At least they had a pop at it though. I’ve no doubt about the talent of the studio - this game missed the mark but they’ll come back with something else and hopefully it’ll stick.

John254

Banned
I love how sometimes gamers are talking about "give them freedom to make whatever they want" and when Microsoft gave NT freedom and final product is Bleeding Edge it is bad, because Microsoft for sure forced them to make it. Ignoring fact, that Bleeding Edge was in preproduction before acquisition which was state numerous times.

Look, I played Bleeding Edge for solid 15 hours. It is fun game.
Would I buy it without Game Pass? Probably not.
Could it be done better? Of course - there are big lag problems and quantity of content problems

"Giving creative freedom" doesn't mean they will produce only games that I want. It means they will produce games they want. And if that game is a passion project for Creative Director and small group of devs, then by all means go for it. But blaming Microsoft because NT wanted to make this game? Just get real for a second Revolutionary Revolutionary

Leyasu

Banned
Why yes, you did miss the point!
Allow me to break it down for you:
Bleeding Edge (the first Microsoft Ninja Theory game) is pure Game Pass shovelware, and the person I quoted was trying to excuse its existence and poor reviews with "bu bu their next game will be AAA, just you wait!", and "b-baka, you're just a hater!". My post was making fun of the "hate" part, specifically.

Still following? Good!

The amount of developers that actually worked on the game is completely irrelevant. What matters here is that Bleeding Edge is EXACTLY the kind of B-tier game that many people said would come out of these acquisitions. I'm not saying there won't be AAA games (there obviously will be), but they're ALSO still relegated to Game Pass crap with their B team.

Understand now, or shall I explain further? :)
I think that you misunderstood some of the things that microsoft were looking for in the new studios that they purchased. As we have seen with Bleeding edge, and the soon to be released Obsidian game, Microsoft wanted studios that were/are capable of doing main and side projects at the same time. Or as in the case of playground, are working on an RPG and forza horizon at the same time.

There was a thread the other day on the other place where someone showed the expansion (in terms of people working in the studios) of all their acquired studios. They are all growing and they all have open positions.

Because of gamepass, side projects that before would have been deemed not worth making will now see the light of day. It is a good strategy. No matter how many times people try to paint it as a negative.

There is nothing wrong with having smaller gamepass games and having larger more expensive games created at the same time. This bullshit needs to stop.

SaucyJack

You mean like all of those Sony studios that were closed and faded out of existence.
989 Studios (closed in 2005) part of Santa Monica Studio
Bigbig Studios(closed in 2012) small handheld only Studio combined into Guerrilla Cambridge (below)
Contrail(closed in 2000) not a dev Studio, oversaw 3rd party development, activity integrated into SCEI

Evolution Studios(closed in 2016)
Incognito Entertainment(closed in 2009)
Studio Liverpool(closed in 2012)
Zipper Interactive(closed in 2012)
Guerrilla Cambridge(closed in 2017)
Team Ico(closed in 2011) not a Studio but a small team within Japan Studio. Ueda left, Japan Studio still exists
Manchester Studio(closed in 2020) never developed a single game

Bit of a padded list (see above) the although several of those are sadly missed.

You could have had Sony Online Entertainment though which was sold off and is now Daybreak.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

I think that you misunderstood some of the things that microsoft were looking for in the new studios that they purchased. As we have seen with Bleeding edge, and the soon to be released Obsidian game, Microsoft wanted studios that were/are capable of doing main and side projects at the same time. Or as in the case of playground, are working on an RPG and forza horizon at the same time.

There was a thread the other day on the other place where someone showed the expansion (in terms of people working in the studios) of all their acquired studios. They are all growing and they all have open positions.

Because of gamepass, side projects that before would have been deemed not worth making will now see the light of day. It is a good strategy. No matter how many times people try to paint it as a negative.

There is nothing wrong with having smaller gamepass games and having larger more expensive games created at the same time. This bullshit needs to stop.

Totally agree.

I am pleased to see Xbox Game Studios expanding, it’s been an obvious weakness for decades.

It's obviously perfectly OK for not every game to be “AAA”, you need variety. It’s OK for studios to be producing smaller games for Gamepass. It’s a good strategy.

I think it’s also perfectly OK to accept that, at this time, studios like Obsidian, inXile, Undead Labs and Ninja Theory are nowhere near the level of Sony 1st Party and others like Double Fine and Compulsion never will be. Doesn’t mean that they won’t produce fun games and give Xbox the more rounded first party offering it desperately needs.

Last edited:

McCheese

Yeah well, accept Ninja Theory stated that they already had this as a concept/unfinished game, before they got acquired. Same thing with grounded in Obsidian I am obviously not fan of these games, but obviously we already know that Ninja Theory work on the Hellblade 2 and something called project Mara.

Yes, but no (but yes).

Ninja Theory: We want to make shorter, experimental titles
Microsoft: Hey, that sounds like a great match for our Gamepass business model!
Fans: Whoooo, Ninja Theory now have infinite money for epic AAA titles!

They are just deluding themselves. first-party studios have to make games around Gamepass, which means smaller low-budget titles (that can still be great games), or large GaaS titles (that again, can still be great games). But the expectation that Hellblade 2 will be an epic AAA-title, or that Bleeding Edge is just a "one-off" is delusional.

This is the new normal for Microsoft studios, Let's not forget Forza had to add loot-boxes for to retain their AAA budget in a post-gamepass world.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yes, but no (but yes).

They are just deluding themselves. first-party studios have to make games around Gamepass, which means smaller low-budget titles (that can still be great games), or large GaaS titles (that again, can still be great games). But the expectation that Hellblade 2 will be an epic AAA-title, or that Bleeding Edge is just a "one-off" is delusional.

This is the new normal for Microsoft studios, Let's not forget Forza had to add in loot boxes for to retain their AAA budget in a post-gamepass world.
Sure, but we will see how things are going to be. But I am just operating, based on what these companies said, prior to acquisition. Or not prior, but when they announce it. And when it comes to loot boxes, as far as I know Loot Boxes in FM7 was never paid with money... But they obviously were in Gears 4. As far as I remember. And that was before GamePass.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned

Never before have I seen people
i probably never really enjoyed a game from them but under microsoft with a big load of money maybe they will change my mind.
Not even heavenly sword? ;)

Dory16

Banned
Yes, but no (but yes).

This is the new normal for Microsoft studios, Let's not forget Forza had to add loot-boxes for to retain their AAA budget in a post-gamepass world.
What's the new normal? The Outer Worlds or Grounded ? Because both are coming out after Obsidian's acquisition. You're not making any sense.

Dory16

Banned
Totally agree.

I am pleased to see Xbox Game Studios expanding, it’s been an obvious weakness for decades.

It's obviously perfectly OK for not every game to be “AAA”, you need variety. It’s OK for studios to be producing smaller games for Gamepass. It’s a good strategy.

I think it’s also perfectly OK to accept that, at this time, studios like Obsidian, inXile, Undead Labs and Ninja Theory are nowhere near the level of Sony 1st Party and others like Double Fine and Compulsion never will be. Doesn’t mean that they won’t produce fun games and give Xbox the more rounded first party offering it desperately needs.
Ninja Theory and Obsidian can definitely compete. We'll see what happens with unlimited funding and time. Sony's first parties like Sucker Punch are allowed to put out a game every 6 years. You give that to those 2 studios and the most powerful hardware, I'm willing to bet that the output is the same or better.
The Initiative, Playground, 343, Turn 10 and The Coalition are all made for AAA. This is the first gen that MS is going into with a studio arsenal comparable to Sony's. And let's not kid ourselves. The ability to get 2nd/3rd party deals will make a big difference. Bloodborne, FF7 remake and The Order weren't made by 1st parties.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Trajectory of Ninja Theory:

Starts out (2003-2007) doing original IP for platform holders. Kung Fu Chaos, and Heavenly Sword. Both flop.

Tries to go for artistic credibility (name contribs like Alex Garland and Andy Serkis) with Enslaved (2010) for Bandai Namco. Flops.

Work for hire with Capcom's DMC (2013), does ok-ish, but is controversial and they aren't invited back.

Next few years (2013-2017) show a marked decline in project scope.

Some contract work for hire on Disney Infinity, Dexed a VR thing for PS4 and Steam that noone seems to have heard of, and of course Hellblade.

A year later (2018) they sell to MS, and in 2020 we get Bleeding Edge.

Not to be a dick, but that's not the sort of track record that has suitors beating down the door.

Bernkastel

Bit of a padded list (see above) the although several of those are sadly missed.

You could have had Sony Online Entertainment though which was sold off and is now Daybreak.
989 Studios (closed in 2005) part of Santa Monica Studio
They were absorbed by SCEA. Thats the same for Microsoft and Digital Anvil.
Bigbig Studios(closed in 2012) small handheld only Studio combined into Guerrilla Cambridge (below)
It was an actual studio by Codemasters employees that they bought and closed.
The PlayStation firm has proposed the closure of Leamington Spa outfit Bigbig, which recently finished work on Little Deviants for Vita.
Meanwhile, Sony’s Cambridge division is to be restructured. The studio is to partner with Netherlands outfit Guerilla Games, likely in a downsized capacity, to build Killzone games for PlayStation Vita.
Nowhere it indicates that they were merged into Cambridge studio.
Team Ico(closed in 2011) not a Studio but a small team within Japan Studio. Ueda left, Japan Studio still exists
Team Ico members left to form genDESIGN and are now going multi-platform. Although under SIE Japan, it was always a separate studio.
Team Ico was a Japanese video game development studio led by game designer Fumito Ueda. It was part of Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Studio's Product Development Department #1, and had developed the games Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, both for the PlayStation 2. The team was also initially responsible for The Last Guardian before Ueda's departure in 2011 and the formation of a new company taking over development in 2014.
While the closure of Team Ico was never formally announced by Sony, it was predicated on Ueda's departure from Sony in 2011, following by several other members of the Team Ico staff the following year. Most of these became part of genDESIGN, the studio that completed the development of The Last Guardian.
Manchester Studio(closed in 2020) never developed a single game
Its still a studio that they created.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Let me take a gue$$.
I can assure you that was not the case for Sony. If they wanted to buy a studio, they will get the the studio head drunk and make them sign off all assets to Sony, not a single dollar was spent.

Self

But the expectation that Hellblade 2 will be an epic AAA-title, or that Bleeding Edge is just a "one-off" is delusional.

Given their track record it is reasonable to assume that bleeding edge is a "one-off", an experiment.

Hellblade 2 may very well turn out to be a AAA title if sufficient time and budget is granted.

D.Final

Banned
Given their track record it is reasonable to assume that bleeding edge is a "one-off", an experiment.

Hellblade 2 may very well turn out to be a AAA title if sufficient time and budget is granted.

Yeah
I also think that Bleeding Edge it's just an experiment for the team.
The true AAA big game for them is definitely Hellblade 2

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah
I also think that Bleeding Edge it's just an experiment for the team.
The true AAA big game for them is definitely Hellblade 2

I am surprised they are still supporting Bleeding Edge. I know it just came out but I figgured support for it would be minimal but they are doing full on rebalancing of characters. I wonder what the legs of this game will be.

D.Final

Banned
I am surprised they are still supporting Bleeding Edge. I know it just came out but I figgured support for it would be minimal but they are doing full on rebalancing of characters. I wonder what the legs of this game will be.

Maybe at least one year

Seems they were very limited in what they could do beforehand. Can't wait to see what the future holds.

Funding. You can't make games if you can't keep the lights on and the dev's paid. I just hope that expectations are kept in check. Not in terms of game quality, but in terms of game sales. I hope they are some leeway in terms of sales. They may have bigger budget this time, but they're still a relatively "unknown" dev, at least when it comes to the mainstream gamers. I didn't play Hellblade, but by all account the ones who have played it loved it. I think with some time, their sales will match their quality of games. And they could become a strong studio for Xbox.

Top Bottom