• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 Press Conference Grading Thread

Who had your favorite E3 press conference?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Steel

Banned
Why's everyone ranking Ubisoft so low? They actually had some pretty cool stuff like For Honor and the new Rainbow. And I normally hate Ubi.

GameSeeker

Not even a contest this year. Sony had the most action packed, megaton filled conference of not just this E3, but 10 years worth of E3's.

Sony: A

Great megatons and open world game with robo dinos

Microsoft: C

Nice surprises, Rare compilation looks great but new game looks kind of iffy

Nintendo: D

Really didn't give a shit, starfox looks alright, metroid spinoff looks like shit

EA: F

Sports Sports Sports, 15 minutes till Battlefront, I promise!

Ubi: C

South Park, funny stuff, too many Tom Clancy games, BGE2 being cancelled, MEMES

Bethesda: B-

Doom looks alright, needs some work, Fallout 4 looks fantastic

PC: C

Host was great but went on for two long, not many big announcements

Nintendo: B. They announced a lot of interesting 3DS games but no interesting Wii U games, also the developer diaries went on for too long. Overall decent if you're still gaming on 3DS. Not sure where this 'worst conference ever' narrative is coming from.
Microsoft: C. Backwards compataility is cool but not much else. The new rare game looks dull.
Sony: A. Lots of surprises, and some great new games. Fast pace. Cant ask for much else.
EA: D. Terrible, so boring. Interviews with soccer players? Hoop God? Really? Ugh. Battlefront looks great, though.

RoKKeR

Sony: A - Though games like FFVII and Shenmue don't get me personally excited, I understand how big they are. TLG was a special thing to witness and Uncharted looks great. Did not like CoD but it was a great conference.

MS: A- - MS did a really great job and made the biggest announcement of E3, backwards compatibility. Still reeling from that one. Showed some great new IP, had a strong Indie presence and the 2015 lineup is looking incredible. Great showing.

Bethesda: B - Fallout 4 is going to consume me and Doom looked good. Liked the casual nature of the conference.

Ubisoft: B - Always manage to keep things interesting with a new announcement here and there and Aisha Tyler. They have a strong lineup and I like their lineup.

Nintendo: C - Awkward transitional period for Nintendo as they figure out what's next. Show me Zelda please.

EA: F - Mirror's Edge, Battlefront, and Mass Effect. Everything else useless IMO, though I am excited for GW2.

(did not watch PC or SE)

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
This year, Sony's press conference is magical. They will never top it. I don't think I will see anything like it for another decade.

Bethesda - 5 - Dishonored 2 saved the conference.
Sony - 5 - Horizon looked good. For the rest not much that got my motor running.
Microsoft - 3 - Dark Souls III saves Microsoft from an even lower score, terrible.
PC - 8 - Set-up was good, interesting interviews and I'm very much looking forward to the Pillars expansion pack.
Ubisoft - 6 - Most excited about South Park, not that interested in the other games. Maybe For Honor. Presentation was OK though.
Square - 8 - Hitman, Deus Ex, Just Cause, woo!
EA - 3 - What the fuck was this shit. Battlefront looked pretty cool though.
Nintendo - 1 - Yeah...no.

Krakn3Dfx

Bethesda- A
hhhhh, Fallout 4, holy shit
Sony - A
ll the megatons
Microsoft - B
ackwards Compatible
PC - F
ucking What
Ubisoft - Syndicated
Square - C'ish
EA - C
Nintendo - G
oddammit Nintendo

komorebi

Oculus: Didn't watch it, didn't care
Bethesda: A- (Fallout 4! Doom!)
Microsoft: Didn't watch it, didn't care (in retrospect should have watched it!)
EA: Pele/10 (pander to repairing FIFA's image on your own time next time, thanks)
Ubisoft: Didn't watch it, didn't care (Ubisoft = Eat a dong.)
Sony: A+ (nothing needs to be said here)
Nintendo: C- (started out great, got worse thanks to poor games)
Square Enix: B (Their western studios are killing it)
PC: Didn't watch it, I'm burnt out at this point

braves01

Banned
Oculus: N/A, didnt see it

Bethesda: N/A, didn't see it though Fallout looks good but visually underwhelming, Fallout shelter was nice

Microsoft: B, nice to hear about compatibility and Elite controller; Halo, Forza, and TR look good but safe

EA: N/A didn't see
Ubisoft: N/A didn't see

Sony: A-, best of the show but the three bombs are either far off or underhwhelming (TLG), no real reason shown to suggest PS4 is worth having instead of a PC for the near to intermediate future.

Nintendo: B, not great, partly due to leaks and NWC (no surprise to smash chars or Mario Maker new footage) and partly due to bad looking software (Metroid)

Square Enix: N/A, didn't see except as part of other shows

PC: N/A didn't see but best games this year will mostly be there and looking their best.

Sony - A (Buy these games, we bring you some that we know people has and will wait for)
Microsoft - C+ (Buy these games that are coming soon)
Ubisoft - B- (Buy these games, we can just make huge ones and they are not all the same although familiar)
EA - C- (Buy sport games and Star Wars)
SE - B+ (Buy these games that we showed first elsewhere, but we are the ones who make them)
PC - B (Lets ask these guests why we should buy their games)
Nintendo - D (This is a morning show, lets talk and show stuff)

Dlacy13g

MS: A- great pacing, a few really good surprises that weren't leaked. Hit all the right chords. Rare felt relevant again.

Sony: B+ started and finished really strong...middle was hampered with less exciting annoucements...lots of non-exclusive 3rd party games with marketing deals. Vita clearly dead in there eyes now.

Nintendo: C- they failed to make a case for anyone to buy a WiiU. What they did show was average and ultimately left even the hardcover Nintendo fans upset.

Bsigg12

Sony: 8.0 - I don't care about TLG or Shenmue. FFVII-R is nice but Horizon looked pretty rad

Microsoft: 8.0 - Overall, a pretty solid conference with a lot for this year. Recore looks interesting, backwards compatibility is nice, Rare Replay is a must buy in August.

Nintendo: 5.0 - Boring, with no real announcements sadly. Roll on the NX next year I suppose.

Bethesda 7.5 - Fallout 4 is going to be incredible. Doom looks ok, but the SnapMap stuff is gonna be awesome.

EA: 3.0 - Had to shut it off at Pele.

Square: 7.0 - Some of the best trolling of the conferences. KH3 looks good.

Ubisoft - didn't watch

timlot

Banned
MS B+ (They pulled a f'in video game out of a table!)
Sony B (Hype for games 1-3 years out cool I guess)
EA C
Ubisoft C+

PC A (Serious thinking about upgrading my PC. So many console exclusive games from both Sony and MS coming to PC now.) KI,Gears,SF5,FF7,Shenmue3,No Man Sky

TTOOLL

Microsoft: 8.5, Actual games with release date, exclusives and support for the console

Sony: 7.0, Just gave what everybody wanted and nothing to their console.

Nintendo: 6.0

PC Gamer: 8.0 Solid conference with some surprises

Ubisoft: 7.5 Just solid but too much Tom clancy

EA: 4.5 Its E3 for gods sake, the gaming press doesnt want sports

Bethesda: 8.5, Great first time

Square-Enix: 6.5, nothing new

what does that even mean?

@topic
I only saw Sony and Microsoft, the Final Fantasy VII trailer brought tears to my eyes, so they won.

low-G

Oculus:

F, audience was totally not into it. Zero interesting or VR-intensive games. No price, no date. Worthless

Bethesda:

B, decent Doom showing, but Fallout 4 fucking blew me away with its features and release date

Microsoft:

B, some slightly interesting bits such as the back combat and controller, but the pacing was right on, very little downtime, showing off lots of games & gameplay. Mostly all about Blast Corps!

EA:

C, the showing of games like Mirror's Edge and Star Wars Battlefront were awesome, but the middle of the show, Pele & sports, was compete shit

Ubisoft
:

C, they really didn't have much, and the dancing parts were fucking horrible, but Trackmania Turbo is fucking shithot

Sony:

A+++++, literally the best E3 conference EVER (been watching for ~14 years now) Fucking megatons of The Last Guardian, FF7R, and Shenmue 3. Plenty of other fucking amazing looking stuff like Horizon & Uncharted 4. A few slow bits take away from the elusive S rating.

Nintendo
:

F, they put the bullet in Wii U, fucking disgrace of Metroid & Animal Crossing, the only shit on Wii U worthwhile were already announced games. Puppets were cute tho

Square Enix:

D, horribly run & managed, but they showed some new stuff that looked good.

PC:

F, like the Nintendo conference, there were elements of charm, but there was no fucking content at all. One big long shitshow, overall.

Tabris

Bethesda: B+, Good games. Varied content.
Microsoft: B, Some good announcements, and best 2015 line up.
EA: C+, ME4 and Battlefront put this from C- to C+
Ubisoft: C, Just no interest
Sony: A+, Dreams come true
Nintendo: F, I'm done with this company
Square Enix: A-, Dreams come true

Syf

Banned
Bethesda/ZeniMax - 7, some impressive demos
Microsoft - 8, solid consistent show, some big announcements
EA - 4, boring except for the Star Wars and Mass Effect stuff mostly
Ubisoft - 5, awkward segments
Sony - 10, three huge reveals and a lot more impressive ones. One of the best shows I've watched.
Nintendo - 5, disappointing throughout except for a couple games, puppets do nothing for me
Square Enix - 9, lots of good games showed
PC Gamer - 8, very good host, lots of content - just too long I felt

Sony - 9.5/10
Beth - 8.5/10
MS - 7.5/10
Square - 7/10
Nintendo - 4.5/10

Sony was great, they killed it with the 3 magatons. Nintendo was super disappointing.

Servbot24

Banned
Why's everyone ranking Ubisoft so low? They actually had some pretty cool stuff like For Honor and the new Rainbow. And I normally hate Ubi.

The Clancy games just blend into each other. It's hard to care about any of it, even if they'll all turn out to be decent games. Ass Creed is throwaway. For Honor was the only interesting game. All in all, bland conference.

V-Faction

I liked what I saw from every presentation (at least one thing). And here they are, in no particular order:

Sony: Horizon
Nintendo: Mario Maker
EA: Battlefront
Ubisoft: South Park
Square: Kingdom Hearts 3
Bethesda: Doom
Microsoft: Dark Souls 3
PC: Heroes of the Storm

Sony: A

Sony with the GREATEST E3 CON OF ALL TIME

ALL TIME BABY

the GOAT Con.

I watched half of the Xbox con and seemed standard fair, your halo's, forza's & gears.

Ubisoft: B+

Ubisoft's is much better than usual. but that's not what ubi's problem is. the downgrades & homogenized gaming design is.

Aisha & Angela Bassett were BAE

Beth: B-
nothing surprising.

PC Con: C

bleh.

I have to finish watching the xbox con & start the ninty con.

Hikami

From the ones I watched

Sony: A+
It still feels like it was all a dream. Great showings all around from them.

Bethesda: B
Didn't really care for anything other than Fallout 4, and what they showed of it was amazing.

Square Enix: B
NieR, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Star Ocean 5 footage was good. The new studio seems promising as well. Their console output this time around is surprising.

Microsoft: B-
Not much here I was interested in really besides recore and the backwards compatability.

Nintendo: C
I think people had some unrealistic expectations going into this one. I liked just about every game shown. Would've been a B or higher but the way they did the presentation wasn't very good. Lots of time wasted and padding with the developer stories. Leaks also took away any awe and excitement from hyrule warriors.

Oculus: D
The controller looked cool I guess.

I missed most due to my internship, so for what I saw:

Sony: A-
+ So many bombs. I mean, I don't even like Final Fantasy but I totally felt that one. Very happy about Last Guardian as well.
+ Saw it in a movie theater. :)
- Didn't like the Kickstarter being announced there, even if it is a game I'd love to play.
- Wished to see more on Amplitude.

Nintendo: B-
+ Star Fox! And it's totally Star Fox 2! That's awesome because Star Fox 2 is amazing.
+ The Legend of Zelda continues to be really rad.
+ Mario & Luigi x Paper Mario. Too bad it's really a M&L game, because I much prefer Paper Mario games.
- Good job with the Metroid and Animal Crossing trolling!
- No Rhythm Tengoku. :(
- Nothing overwhelmingly amazing announced for the first time, though Zelda is personally great for me.

I feel like that if Nintendo held back some of their recent announcements, they would have had a better digital event. Overall, though, Nintendo's presence at E3 is an A- because of the tournament and the Treehouse thing, but the digital event was a downer.

The, uh, PC thing: B
I'm not terribly interested in most of the games shown, but they actually showed a lot. It was rather long, though. Next time, they should do sizzle reels.

Sony - A
Bethesda - B (Pretty good though Doom fell short for me)
Microsoft - B (There was nothing too groundbreaking and too much CG)
Square - B- (If there wasn't so much redone content from other conferences, would have been a B+, If they actually localized DQ VII or VIII, A+)
Ubisoft - C+ (Some good stuff but most didn't appeal to me, too many forced memes)
Nintendo - C (For just Digital Event, including all E3 activities would be a B)
EA - D (Too much sports and mobile)

Vena

In terms of rankings rather than scores (and I only watched the first-party stuff)

1.) Microsoft for talking about games that I may play within a reasonable time frame, and the BC options on the X1 might make me get an X1 to replace my X360 and its library if all of my games show up on their list (come on... Vesperia!).
2.) Sony for talking about games I might play in 2017. Otherwise their show was piss-poor for the current state of affairs, and I will play third party games on my PC. By late 2016 they might actually live up to some of the things they revealed. Really liked Horizon, though.
3.) Nintendo for whatever the fuck that was.

dugdug

Banned
Microsoft - B: as usual, they put on a decent show. Nothing mind blowing, but, some good games. Backwards compatibility is good.

Sony - A-: insane announcements, but, bummer that nothing big is coming for the holidays.

Nintendo - Fucking big-dicked F-: all I want from them is a real Metroid game and they took a big amiibo-caked shit on top of my head. Fuck Nintendo.

LifEndz

Sony: 10. They gave all I wanted.
Bethesda: 8.5. Fallout, mother bitches!
MS: 8. Halo and tomb Raider looked amazing.
Ubi: 8. South Park!
Square: 5. Really didn't need a conference as most of the games were shown.
EA: 3. Wtf? Second year in a row it feels like E3 snuck up on them.

Didn't watch PC or Nintendo.

sn00zer

Funny, I though Ubi had an amazing conference. The announcements were fine, but the presentation and watchability of the conference was great.

old

All of them were underwhelming except Microsoft and Sony.

Microsoft had a solid conference. Lots of great games announced for this holiday and the coming year. No complaints. Give it a solid A.

But Sony took it to another level. FF7 remake and Shenmue 3!? That's the kind of stuff we only dream of.

Admittedly, Microsoft had a more "concrete" conference in terms of what's coming this year. FF7 and S3 are likely to be years and years off. We may not even see either of them this generation. But the dreams and hopes from the announcements won't be soon forgotten.

I gave it to Sony.

kirby_fox

Banned
Microsoft: Good. 5 games launching this year on their system. The conference was decently paced, and only had a few moments of wincing. The bc for the 360 was unexpected but not as game changing as people think. For all of this, it gets 3.5 stars.

Sony: Also good. The pacing was decent, good future announcements...but nothing that comes out this year and not all of it is exclusive. A lot of "Play it first on PS" but even though they got those it's a bit awkward. TLG not being vaporware is more like a slap in the face for taking so long, FFVII is time exclusive with no look at if they updated gameplay, and Shemue III is happening but awkwardly on Kickstarter. The Disney stuff was a bit awkwardly revealed too. Sony had a great show for what they had, but in the end it was just that: a show to really make you forget what's coming out for PS4 this year. 3.5 stars as well.

Nintendo: Bad. The pacing was awful. They blew a lot of their stuff in the weeks leading up to E3. There was too much developer talk during their digital event, something people enjoy but something that also makes it feel like it's dragging and should have been saved for after the event or paced better. Reiterating games that we already know about feels like they have nothing to show, and is a bit of a slap in the face to fans because they really didn't have much. Trying to use social media to get people excited about Super Mario Maker felt like they were a bit out of touch, and didn't understand why it worked for other titles. The new titles announced felt too small for what we had come to expect from E3, though I do expect reactions to be positive when the games launch and the hype of E3 dies down. 2 stars.

Bethesda 4/5

No earth shaking announcements, just good explanations and footage of the upcoming Bethesda line up. Not really sure this needed it's own press conference though, I feel like what Nintendo does with it's directs probably would have been a better method to introduce this info.

Microsoft 3.5/5

Great announcement of backwards compatibility, all the games they showed looked good... but too many of the games were just cg with no gameplay. I had this at a 4 but knocked it down when I realized the most exciting retail game was just a collection of old rare games, cuphead is a top 5 game of the show though.

EA NA/5

I actually haven't watched this yet, but based upon what I've heard outside of Battlefront and Mirrors edge it was a zzz fest

Ubisoft 2/5

Fairly boring show, nothing really exciting announced outside of the new South Park game. Lots of staged "gameplay" and cg trailers for games I couldn't care about. There was no real watchdogs/child of light/etc to get me excited this year.

Sony 4.5/5

Best of show, only knocked down a .5 point due to so many announcements of games that won't be out for another 1.5-2 years

Nintendo 2.5/5

I feel like Nintendo blew too much of it's load between the April direct and the NWC. Had they held Fatal Frame 5 localization, SMT x FE existing, Earthbound beginnings, and the smash dlc (ignoring the leak) this would have been a much stronger show. Nintendo still has a lot of good content coming over the next 6-9 months for WiiU and 3DS they just presented it really poorly.

Square Enix 3/5

Nier 2 announcement and KH3 gameplay really helped, it rates a bit lower then it probably should because I'm salty that we got nothing about Dragon Quest in the west nor Bravely Second. Remove my salt and it's probably a 4/5

PCzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz 1/5

This was only saved by Day 9, imagine all the problems Nintendo had, but with even less interesting announcements. They showed some good looking games... that everyone else had already shown or have been shown a ton before. Also faaaaar too much time spent on talking about graphics cards.

Bethesda - A, even though I'm not into Fallout 4 they did a great job with great games despite how much I hate what they did with Prey 2

Microsoft - B+, slick as fuck with some good games. BC announcement sounded a LOT better than it turned out sadly. Interesting controller until price was given after the conference. They showed a lot of love towards indies finally thankfully! That was the high point for me. Gears reboot looks up my alley despite it not impressing visually, I bet it was just a bad demo for that and expect it'll be awesome. Nothing amazing but still a good showing.

EA - C, at least they had Unravel!

Ubisoft - B, really fun 'show' as always, Aisha was awesome as always. Lots of games, lots of teasing.

Sony - A+, dreams come true. Rushed through a ton of games to give time for the megatons, stayed light on hardware/OS stuff this year with only a little chat about Vue and Morpheus. Big Horizon reveal with gameplay. Focus on 2016 with no real talk about Until Dawn, Tearaway PS4 or Uncharted NDC.

(haven't seen Square or Nintendo yet but Nintendo sounds like a C+ from the rundown I've been given)

Oculus: 5, pointless.
Bethesda: 10, Fallout 4.
Microsoft: 7, some highlights but a lot of gems are hidden.
EA: 5, what the hell are they thinking?
Ubisoft: 4, dancing on stage again?
Sony: 9, great line up, great demos.
Nintendo: 4, why they are here?
SE: 6, not a JRPG guy but I understand their appeal.
PC: 1, trainwreck from start to finish.

Feichaw

Microsoft: 8/10. Backwards compatibility made the conference.
EA: 3/10, and I'm being generous here. The only good things were Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge and Battlefront.
Sony: HOLY SHIT FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE 1054068741500000000/10
Nintendo: errr...6/10, because Yoshi's Woolly World made me cry. I have a soft spot for Yoshi in my heart :(

Bethesda: C- (Fallout looked nice, and the Dishonored trailer was good, but they wasted way too much time on Doom and on their desire to be Blizzard)
Microsoft: D- (The Rare collection is great, and the backwards compatibility announcement was well made, but Sea of Thieves was a massive disappointment after all the Banjo teases, and pretty much all the other non-indie games looked bad)
EA: F (Unravel looks great, everything else, not so much. Plus, random thirty hour long interview with Pele)
Ubisoft: D (awkward as hell, and little of interest, but it's not like I expected too much more from them)
Sony: A+ (do I need to say anything? Shenmue III alone would have scored this grade, but throw in The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy VIIR and there's really no way any future press conference could hold up to it)
Nintendo: B- (They had a good lineup overall with XCX, Star Fox, Yoshi, both FE titles, etc, but the presentation was mediocre at best, Yoshi went on way too long, and the Zelda 3DS title and Paper Mario x Mario and Luigi were the only real surprises. It was good overall, but it couldn't hold up to either Sony or last year's Digital Event)

I sadly didn't get to see Square's conference (I had a doctor's appointment to go to), but I'll give them a B+ for content based on the Nier 2 announcement and the Kingdom Hearts III trailer. Does anything else even matter? Oh, and Star Ocean looks great even though I'm upset that they aren't localizing the PS3 version

PC Gamer: C (The format was good and they spotlighted games better than almost anyone, but it just went on way too fucking long. If they do this again next year they really need to tighten it down to about 90 minutes)

The first few conferences weren't great, but from Sony on I think everyone got into something of a groove.

Strike

Sony:
d1f162c9-cd47-43e0-8242-6fa3543b7e58.gif

Sony B- good but not enough about games we can actually play soon
MS C+ grwta conference for Dudebro shootstuff drivecar, but not much else.
Nintendo F

I honeslt y cannot believe that Nintendo put out that digital event. It was the single most pathetic first party E3 showing I have ever seen.

UKUMI0

I only watched Microsoft and Sony. For me Microsoft won, mainly because they showed a ton of exclusive games that will come out in the next 12 months, while Sony's list of games coming in next 12 months was mainly 3rd party.

Outside that 12 month window I don't really care because it'll be at next years E3.

klee123

In terms of conferences which had announcements which appeal to me.

Sony - The 3 unicorn announcements plus Horizon (My game of E3) and the awesome Uncharted 4 demonstration makes it one of the best shows ever.

Square Enix - As primarily a PS4 gamer, Nier 2 announced and SO5 confirmed for the west is just amazing.

Bethesda - Mainly for Fallout 4.

Don't really care about the others to be honest.

Top Bottom