• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3: Sony with some bad news?

AOC83

Banned
I find it extremely funny how some people are grasping at straws and hope that sony does something equally as bad as MS did in order to justify their purchase.

Exactly. The XBone is an abomination and nothing Sony might do is going to change that.

Jinko

Dude, what's going on with this mentality? MS is doing it so Sony has to in order to stay competitive? Competitive with what?

With publishers obviously.

Also as someone above mentioned if you give publishers the choice to implement passes into their games the chances are they will, it will boil down to the same thing.

Of course it would be wise for Sony to take that stance as it then falls on the publishers shoulders and not theirs.

PJV3

How many people have that kind of patience or care enough to withhold sale to make a statement? It's hard to imagine that any angry resistance from gamers will make a dent.

It's the only thing that could stop it happening

It wouldn't take the majority of gamers to achieve it, but yeah as you say it would be unlikely and the gamers own fault.

I'm a stubborn sod and can live without games quite easily.

It looks like Microsoft decided to put out all the bad news ahead of E3

No they didn't, they didn't clear anything up at the reveal itself and after it they just gave us some vague cryptic statements because they were pressured by the press.
Sorry if that doesn't make you feel better.

gogogow

I find it extremely funny how some people are grasping at straws and hope that sony does something equally as bad as MS did in order to justify their purchase.

I know there's this insane bias toward the xbox on USA but damn...

Some people even flatout refuse to buy the ps4.

Maybe. I'm definitely gonna buy a PS4, because the Sony IP's interests me more. But with the XBone having used games licenses. Won't publishers pressure Sony to do the same? Why would the publishers not want a cut from used games? I don't know and of course I hope Sony won't do it.

I'll post this again

untitledv5spq.png

That's from a SCEE employee. A used game policy, especially one at system level, would be instant death for the PS4 in Japan. And I think the EA situation could be very telling. There was no third party that Sony was closer to at one point than EA. All throughout this generation we saw them landing exclusive content and timed exclusive DLC from them. Then all of a sudden that vanished and now they're extremely tight with MS, and we're even seeing a rumor about them handing over a major exclusive title to MS, which is obviously very rare for EA.

Am I reading this thread correct?

Heres my take:

Lets say you poop out some shit that stinks.
I also poop out some shit that stinks.

Yay our shit don't stink as much as they used to.

Zephyrus

Banned
Maybe. I'm definitely gonna buy a PS4, because the Sony IP's interests me more. But with the XBone having used games licenses. Won't publishers pressure Sony to do the same? Why would the publishers not want a cut from used games? I don't know and of course I hope Sony won't do it.

Yoshida previously stated that any measures to block users out of second hand games is entirely up to the publishers.

In no way whatsoever will sony force it.

And in here lies your power. You chose to buy a game that enforces this anti consumer measure or, like me, you chose not to buy it and make them realize these actions aren't welcome.

Xater

I'll post this again

untitledv5spq.png

That's from a SCEE employee. A used game policy, especially one at system level, would be instant death for the PS4 in Japan. And I think the EA situation could be very telling. There was no third party that Sony was closer to at one point than EA. All throughout this generation we saw them landing exclusive content and timed exclusive DLC from them. Then all of a sudden that vanished and now they're extremely tight with MS, and we're even seeing a rumor about them handing over a major exclusive title to MS, which is obviously very rare for EA.

Interesting tweet indeed and yeah the situation changed quite a bit with EA. They were really close with Sony before and now they show up at MS's event. I also agree that the used games thing is a even bigger deal in Japan. The used market there is huge, for basically any form of media.

And to the OP: No matter what Sony will do it will not suddenly make the Xbox One look great. Everything htey are doing is awful. If sony does some of the same mistakes I will not bother with them either. I am very opposed to some of the trends of always online, DRM and so on.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think publisher will force sony to implement the same system like they did with microsoft.
There is a big difference between can play and will play on multiple systems.

I don't see how publishers are in a position to force anything on console makers. Sony and Microsoft could easily disagree and then what would they do? Not make their games available?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It doesn't seem like publishers would be forcing anything, as even though it's fairly vauge sony has said it's up to them. Since MS are taking the stand they are there's little reason to not follow suit, though some might wait it out and see if it ends up successful.

I got Enslaved for €10! Played, platinum'ed it and then realized there were more trophies to get from the DLC. But the DLC was also €10! I would not get the DLC cheaper than that! How does this make any sense?

How can people compare the clusterfuck going on the console marketplaces with the ecosystem that we find in the PC (steam, gamersgate, gog, humblebundles, etc). Exception to PS+ which is making a big splash with all that "free" games they are offering until you stop paying the monthly fee.

If publishers/MS/Sony want to have something like, with account bound games, they REALLY have to study the PC marketplace very well first and adapt accordingly.

Atm I'm a lost client for MS and if Sony pulls the same tricks, this will be the first playstation not gracing my cabinet!

Sorral

Pretty funny stances in this thread. People wishing that the PS4 will be as bad as the XB1... Man.

and lose up to half of the profits aswell? I don't think so

Hopefully the wave misses sony

We already know that they won't be as bad as MS though. Not even close.

At the top of these thread there are many links to their response. Sony themselves will not implement such a system but leave it up to pubs to that if they want. As I mentioned above pubs can do it now on current gen tech if they wanted to. I doubt any of them will take the risk.
Assuming Sony leaves the option at the discretion of third party pubs, you think third party pubs will enact this anti-used games DRM on the XBO versions of their games but choose not to do the same on the PS4 versions? Why exactly would they go through the trouble of convincing MS to implement this consolewide on the XBO only to have all their consumers buy the version without the DRM?

One reason why nobody hasn't implemented this stuff for the PS360 is because they can't spin the online DRM checks with the "power of the cloud" BS. Never mind that MS is already getting the brunt of the blame now so the "first mover" disadvantage is no longer there.

Sorral

You know what would funny.... Sony doesn't do anything simiar and the ps4 outsells the Xbone

4 to 1

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sony HQ was like this gif for real:

imn9HiynQGfSA.gif

From this thread.

There just has to be something bad with PS4... It's too good, we don't deserve a gaming console.

In a way, yeah even though I know you're being a bit sarcastic... Heck, there is self-publishing on it now.

They'll definitely be some bad news from Sony, I'm certain of it. MS has softened everyone up though so it won't seem that bad in comparison. Some crow will be eaten by some of the loudest Sony faithful I'm sure but there won't be the backlash that MS is suffering. Most people will just shrug their shoulders and get on with their lives (frankly this is what I expect of nearly everyone, One will sell fine, at least in the States).

You know what would funny.... Sony doesn't do anything simiar and the ps4 outsells the Xbone

4 to 1
Not only funny, fantastic.

Grecco

Lets just wait till E3 before freaking out or thinking sony will do this or wont do this? Ideally game journalists will be able to ask sony now will you do the same thing MS is doing yes or no instead of the variables asked before.

def sim

I know there's this insane bias toward the xbox on USA but damn...

Some people even flatout refuse to buy the ps4.

The hope that Sony follows MS's shitty policies is sad. Why would someone want this?

Is that what's happening here? I'm not familiar with the names and I've admittedly not read all the posts. I don't think considering the possibility Sony may follow suit is at all a pro MS sentiment.

As long as it's not always online, I'm good. Don't really care about the used games scenario, I buy 99% of my games new. But if it is always online, I'm out. I actually have a good internet connection which is rarely down, but the idea of just "renting" games doesn't work for me. I want to be able to play some of those games 20 years from now, not only while the servers are up.

Caja 117

I wonder why people are so sure that the publishers are the one forcing the block used games stuff, and this Isn't something that was made by MS.

Drek

There's very little reason for publishers to not do it when they already are on xbox.

Except they don't know what consumer reaction might really be.

If MS is willing to do this in exchange for a pittance of additional support (timed exclusive DLC and other small things) then a 3rd party CEO would be a damned fool not to encourage it, meanwhile not doing anything of the sort on PS4.

Let consumers decide and the 3rd party looks innocent in the process. If consumers hate it they'll all buy PS4s and it'll be like the PS2 days when everyone was making money hand over fist. If consumers don't mind and buy both systems equally you put the used games market on life support this generation and make sure both Sony and Nintendo bury the final dagger for next generation.

3rd parties don't care about maintaining parity between the Xbox and Playstation lines. They want the smart business play and the smart play here is being hands off and letting MS do their thing.

There is a reason why Activision never hopped on the online pass thing with CoD. They make too much money via DLC even off of the used games market to start walling off customers. Now MS is promising a free "trial" to make all those profitable used software customers into more profitable new software customers, but Sony gives them the out if it doesn't work.

Hence why CoD:Ghosts was at MS' event and Destiny was at Sony's. They're playing both sides here, knowing its going to work out just fine for them either way (as long as their software keeps selling).

leadbelly

Banned
Sony seems to be tuned to what gamers want, I think if they did have any BS in there they would remove it between now and E3 and backload it with other stuff. What we do know is that Sony's PS4 conference was in the end a social media conference and a spec conference with a few games shown. With that we can sort of see that in the end Sony did exactly what MS did and showed the non-gamer stuff first. Go back and watch the conference, Sony focused a lot on social media and streaming and sharing. They did show a few games but some were multi-platform and few were running on a live system.

I don't recall them focusing on TV and movies. I think those aspects were mentioned, but they didn't focus on that in the same way Microsoft did. The social aspects shown at the PS4 conference were for the main part gamer focused. The social stuff was more to do with streaming and sharing your gaming sessions with friends than it was being able to take Skype calls while watching a movie.

Steroyd

Sony seems to be tuned to what gamers want, I think if they did have any BS in there they would remove it between now and E3 and backload it with other stuff. What we do know is that Sony's PS4 conference was in the end a social media conference and a spec conference with a few games shown. With that we can sort of see that in the end Sony did exactly what MS did and showed the non-gamer stuff first. Go back and watch the conference, Sony focused a lot on social media and streaming and sharing. They did show a few games but some were multi-platform and few were running on a live system.

I wouldn't necessarily call social media gaming "non-gamer" stuff, you're forgetting about XBL and PSN, gamers frequenting forums, forming clans to play online, checking the twitter space, linking accounts to facebook etc etc.

What Sony focused on was a natural extension of that.

There's very little reason for publishers to not do it when they already are on xbox.

You could use the same argument with region locking as well, and for the most part I only know 1 PS3 game that is region locked.

About this... is there an official source from Sony saying that PS4 will play used games "free of charge"?

Can Sony definitively say that all used games will be played free of charge, if it's in each individual developers hands on whether that's the case or not?

They can mention what the default setting is, but then people would only complain about how non committal the response is.

def sim

If Sony do not support this level of DRM will 3rd parties decide to drop PS4 support?

No, they would not want to lose sales on a viable platform. If it turns out this DRM is only on the Xbone, I suspect the benefits MS will receive won't be anything so drastic as full exclusivity.

iMerc

The hope that Sony follows MS's shitty policies is sad. Why would someone want this?

pretty simple. moral victory.

"if you're system has just as bad policies as ours, then you can't talk shit and the blame can't solely fall on the console i've rallied behind".

console wars are stupid. internet msg board gamers need to graduate from juvenile hooliganism.

Jinko

I wonder why people are so sure that the publishers are the one forcing the block used games stuff, and this Isn't something that was made by MS.

It's quite possible, Piracy ran rampant on the 360 this gen, this could be MS's way of making sure it doesn't happen again and in the process pissing off all their fanbase.

according to gaf sony can do no wrong.

Guess you weren't here for the start of last gen then.

Assuming Sony leaves the option at the discretion of third party pubs, you think third party pubs will enact this anti-used games DRM on the XBO versions of their games but choose not to do the same on the PS4 versions? Why exactly would they go through the trouble of convincing MS to implement this consolewide on the XBO only to have all their consumers buy the version without the DRM?

One reason why nobody hasn't implemented this stuff for the PS360 is because they can't spin the online DRM checks with the "power of the cloud" BS. Never mind that MS is already getting the brunt of the blame now so the "first mover" disadvantage is no longer there.

You misunderstand. This is mentioned as a feature of the XB one. Which means if the public responds negatively the pubs have the ability to blame MS.

Since Sony leaves it up to pubs what could happen is that some pubs may want to keep in parity with XB1 BUT some might now ( I imagine that idea would be very unpopular with the japanese) so it will simply make pubs look bad when the core looks at the PS4 and sees some games without the used game restriction. It would put the blame back into pubs lap and they have to face the ire and cannot blame anyone.

It is all a game of public face. I imagine most pubs wouldn't try it but EA and Activision would be the ones to start. Destiny could be a start of that justification.

Welcome! You must be new here.

Some xbox fans you'd assume, given how sony so far is delivering greatly.

Maybe. It certain threads lately this belief would be called a "persecution complex" by some.

Anyway this is OT, I stand by my post above. I think Sony will have some "bad" news down the line.

Sorral

Gaf is saying that? Where were you for all that Vita back-lash then? Or E3 2006?
This is a gaming forum and people go for games not movies or TV and some wonder why people here are now mad at MS.

Top Bottom