• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3: Sony with some bad news?

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
About used games, Sony has had this shitty politics with the PS3 about blocking the number of activations per game, so it wouldn't surprise me if they announced something similar.

About games, the Sony presentation was underwhelming, Knack didn't look very interesting, new Killzone (meh...) and new inFamous (that one was the best) and a pair of tech demos that mean nothing, oh, and another sim racer.

Sony has a lot to show if they don't want to disappoint, and we still need to see the price of both.

Nintendo on the other hand will announce/show Smash, Mario 3D (by the team that made Galaxy 1, 2 and 3D land) and Mario Kart; probably X (looked advanced in the last trailer) and I'm hoping a new firmware that fix the major issues of the WiiU and a price drop. I think they are on the best position, will be hard for Sony and MSFT to launch on those condition...

Oersted

Do you even read? The PSN pass only covers the online multi-player part of a game. Not the single player.

OI personally have no issues with Sony's PSN pass/codes. I know some do but I don't.

Yes, accepting whatever Sony will do seems to be the commonground here.

Online passes =/= blocking used games.

Guys, I was just quoting the article. If you don´t agree with the article... feel free to attack the writer.

Sony have done pretty much everything right with the PS4 for gamers so far but you can rest assured that if Sony fuck up you will hear about it here on gaf.

Its not even released. They still refuse to be clear on anti-consumer stances.
PR is doing wonders with people.

bh7812

Banned
I am fully expecting the other shoe to drop for Sony at some point before launch. Whether that's at E3 or not, I can't say. But inevitably there will be some bad news, there always is.

I keep looking for something that would heavily point to the other shoe dropping. While it indeed might, in these last few weeks leading up to E3 they've really got it together. I think a good description for Sony's E3 is a very festive party atmosphere. For them, this year will be a cross between 4th of July fireworks and Rio's Carnivale ;)

Zukuu

Banned
Me either! If they have such an issue with used games, and feel that games should not be played from disc, why drag discs into this at all. That actually would've saved them from this consumer confusion that's affecting their reputation.

That said, I don't think Sony will present bad news at E3. They'll drop them more discreetly sometime in the Fall.

that contradicts their "media hub" appeal-strategy. BD, DVD and CD playback is a crucial part of a media hub.

Jinko

Nintendo on the other hand will announce/show Smash, Mario 3D (by the team that made Galaxy 1, 2 and 3D land) and Mario Kart; probably X (looked advanced in the last trailer) and I'm hoping a new firmware that fix the major issues of the WiiU and a price drop. I think they are on the best position, will be hard for Sony and MSFT to launch on those condition...

-.-

You misunderstand. This is mentioned as a feature of the XB one. Which means if the public responds negatively the pubs have the ability to blame MS.

Since Sony leaves it up to pubs what could happen is that some pubs may want to keep in parity with XB1 BUT some might now ( I imagine that idea would be very unpopular with the japanese) so it will simply make pubs look bad when the core looks at the PS4 and sees some games without the used game restriction. It would put the blame back into pubs lap and they have to face the ire and cannot blame anyone.

It is all a game of public face. I imagine most pubs wouldn't try it but EA and Activision would be the ones to start. Destiny could be a start of that justification.
Based on their history with online passes, EA would definitely be a pioneer in this. I don't recall if the Japanese pubs ever called out used games as a problem or a threat - anybody have a list of pubs who have publicly said so?

You and Drek may be right in that some pubs could be playing the long game to see how the overall market responds before committing one way or another in the following generation.

Pranay

About used games, Sony has had this shitty politics with the PS3 about blocking the number of activations per game, so it wouldn't surprise me if they announced something similar.

About games, the Sony presentation was underwhelming, Knack didn't look very interesting, new Killzone (meh...) and new inFamous (that one was the best) and a pair of tech demos that mean nothing, oh, and another sim racer.

Sony has a lot to show if they don't want to disappoint, and we still need to see the price of both.

Yay another mario kart and hey look a new interesting arcade/sim racer which looks next gen.

Nintendo still have lots of thing to solve especially on 3rd party which sony wont lack. Hardly nintendo are in a good position with the terrible sales they are having

That's why I said so far. But looking at the PS meeting and hearing from devs, especially indie devs Sony seems to be hitting the right spot. But of course they can screw everything up with the used games stuff and the price, we'll see. They have'd four months building the PS4 image but it can take 1 minute to tear it down.

But as of now I haven't seen anything bad with the PS4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It looks like Microsoft decided to put out all the bad news ahead of E3 to make that event all about the things that ultimately sell or don't sell a console: exclusives. Does anybody expect Sony not to do exactly what Microsoft does with used games and such? PC does it since at least five years and it actually became successful again thanks to the old consoles. The writing has long been on the wall, publishers don't want used games. If one console basically blocks used games and unblocks them for a fee, if PC totally blocks used games both physically and digitally, do we actually expect Sony (who invented the PSP Go) to not do it? EA drops online passes. If Sony would go a different route they'd have kept them at least for their platform. So at this point it's safe to assume that all platforms from the end of the year on will work just like Steam. Sony has some explaining to do at E3, it could cost them all the momentum they currently have.

Things look bad now for X1 but it could all change when the games and the price are more interesting that the same for PS4. I think we have to adapt to the no used fully digital present, it's been long coming. Game prices might be much more flexible on the new systems, I can see games selling for $60 in the first month and then dropping $10 every other month. I still don't get however why Microsoft doesn't just offer a fully digital SKU - considering their strategy. Then again the box already looks like two boxes put together. Maybe one day we'll only get the right side of it.

does it *actually* look like that, or does it look like MS are trying to spin it like that to distract from the negative responses from their reveal?

See theres something called impressions. Xbox along with MS gave gamers a bad impression and coupled with the appalling PR, dodging of questions and negative rumours its clear they are going to get very little benefit of doubt.

PS4 and Sony left gamers with a good impression. Furthermore, the only anti-consumer thing that has not been cleared on PS4 is used games. Looking at what Yoshida has said its clear why some people are either giving Sony the benefit of doubt or not raging to them.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
That's why I said so far. But looking at the PS meeting and hearing from devs, especially indie devs Sony seems to be hitting the right spot. But of course they can screw everything up with the used games stuff, we'll see. They have'd four months building the PS4 image but it can take 1 minute to tear it down.

But as of now I haven't seen anything bad with the PS4.

I think we need to contact WIRED

So MS purposedly sabotaged their own unveil conference for their new xbox by putting out all their bad news? Ahahahahaah yeah right, that's how you do a product unveil! Having all people from all over the world shitting on it as soon as it's announced!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
don't both MS and Sony have similar support for region locking - yet PS3 is almost entirely region free, and MS has quite a lot of region locked games. What is the difference in approach from the companies that creates that situation?

If both companies have the same support for tying purchases to user accounts or no used games etc, could we see a similar situation? eg more publishers activating that option on XBONE vs PS4? and if so, why?

There's something about why third parties are getting so cozy with MS. This includes publishers such as EA and Activision. There something huge that's not being revealed yet.

Oersted

See theres something called impressions. Xbox along with MS gave gamers a bad impression and coupled with the appalling PR, dodging of questions and negative rumours its clear they are going to get very little benefit of doubt.

PS4 and Sony left gamers with a good impression. Furthermore, the only anti-consumer thing that has not been cleared on PS4 is used games. Looking at what Yoshida has said its clear why some people are either giving Sony the benefit of doubt or not raging to them.

The other things are region-blocking, if they are still one of the few remaining pubs which push online-pass... The only thing we know is that they abandoned BC just like Xbox One.

KAL2006

Banned
does it *actually* look like that, or does it look like MS are trying to spin it like that to distract from the negative responses from their reveal?

Exactly, Sony were more honest in the presentation itselft, They mentioned no backwards compatibility, MS didnt even bother doing that at their conference

Steroyd

according to gaf sony can do no wrong.

No backwards compatibility, even then that was a mixed reaction rather than unanimous and not showing the box which is pretty much a non issue given that we were given detailed specs like 8GB GDDR5.

Exactly, Sony were more honest in the presentation itselft, They mentioned no backwards compatibility, MS didnt even bother doing that at their conference
MS has been pretty honest post conference though (that's why there's been so much drama, the truth is pretty bad). I'm not giving MS an atta boy for being honest though, just pointing out that Sony hasn't really answered some hard questions brought up by MS's policies.

Basically I don't believe very much what a corporation says in the early roll out stages of a product (unless it's negative lol).

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
No backwards compatibility, even then that was a mixed reaction rather than unanimous and not showing the box which is pretty much a non issue given that we were given detailed specs like 8GB DDR5.

GDDR5 not DDR5

big difference

1 is DDR5 doesn't exist yet publicly

Sorral

°°ToMmY°°;58775325 said:
So MS purposedly sabotaged their own unveil conference for their new xbox by putting out all their bad news? Ahahahahaah yeah right, that's how you do a product unveil! Having all people from all over the world shitting on it as soon as it's announced!

People really don't realize that no amount of games MS reveals at E3 will fix this.

• It won't stop the console from being always-on and requiring an internet connection. 24hours or 2mins check.
  • It won't take away the used games block.
  • It won't let you change that static 500GB hard drive. (They may allow you to buy their branded HD but we don't know anything on that yet)
  • The games install on that 500GB HD and they are on blu-ray discs. I will let you guess the sizes and how many games you might be able to install.
  • It won't stop games from having to be tied to your account and activated before you can play them. No insert and play anymore basically.
  • It won't stop Kinect(and Smartglass in every game) from being required and having to be on for your Xbox One to work.
  • It won't stop the actual console from being weaker than PS4 and lagging behind the PC by a larger margin.

It is like buying a PC, but worse, much worse. Steam is at least merciful DRM with its cheap prices and ease of use as my backlog on it speaks volumes. My PS3 is already past 450GB+ and that's right now in this generation.

Sony will have bad news on the PS4, but will it be close to this shit? I doubt it.

Everyone come to the "I need a new PC" thread, we have cookies. And PCs already ahead of next generation consoles.

The man speaks the truth. I built my PC with their help and cookies.

The main difference right now between Sony PR and MS PR is that someone apparently forgot to tell Phil Harrison when to shut up. If they would have done what Sony did, and ultimately they tried to with an official statement, and just said it will play used games, we aren't talking about any other plans right now. Minus Phil Harrison, Sony and Ms consumer policy would look exactly the same right now.

If I am being realistic I think publishers are going to try and force stopping used game sales. What they want is a system level method like Microsoft, and I can only imagine this is so individual publishers don't look "evil" in the eye's of the consumer. Technically every publisher has the complete power to block used games sales on PS360, yet they don't....strange. However, what I expect Sony to do is to fully leave it to publishers still. If EA wants to block used games sales so bad then fine put in your own activation code to do so, but if Atlus thinks that is not a sound strategy and would hurt their relationship with their fans then they have the ability to not do so. That's the way it should be, an open platform. Give publishers and developers the ability to freely choose the method that works for them, and consumers the power to choose as well.

Myshkin

Pretty much, What happened to Sony last gen is now happening to MS this gen, 3rd console curse = complacency.

Complacency? Or overambition?

That Sony patent for controlling used game sales of discs is starting to look pretty good right now. I don't expect Sony to do anything different from the PS3; they have a functioning system already.

I couldn't care less about used games, but Microsoft seems hell bent on affecting the experience for people who buy new. (And possibly Microsoft means to apply their phone home stuff to digital downloads. If they don't, they sure should clarify that. I haven't bought a disc in years.)

If Sony do fuck up, imagine the meltdown on Gaf...

Sony has been so in tune up to this point, if they merely released a yellow console there'd be a meltdown as big as if they said USA release delayed to 2014. (I would buy yellow console.)

waypoetic

Banned
We probably need a "This is what Sony is doing, this is how the PS4 works"-thread. Some people are not even paying attention on what Sony is doing with the PS4 and PSN, and some people seem to Want Sony to do the same thing as Microsoft.

Corto

There's very little reason for publishers to not do it when they already are on xbox.

They are doing it on Xbox One because Microsoft enabled that. Different consoles have different DRM policies. One could say with more propriety that there's very little reason, considering public reaction to the Xbox one reveal conference, for Sony to do it. And to those that think that publishers can force Sony's hand, that is a two-way deal. Sony has some leverage in that deal still, 80 million worth of leverage approximately.

Drek

Guys, I was just quoting the article. If you don´t agree with the article... feel free to attack the writer.
That's quite the bullshit cop out on your part, now isn't it?

You quoted someone else's clearly unsourced opinion to argue against multiple quotes directly from Sony. You took ownership of that premise when you did so. You can't now argue that it doesn't reflect your opinions when you didn't even give it the benefit of context and instead attached it to nothing more than a one liner.

Oersted

People really don't realize that no amount of games MS reveals at E3 will fix this.

• It won't stop the console from being always-on and requiring an internet connection. 24hours or 2mins check. / They say it won´t be always on
  • It won't take away the used games block. / We don´t know yet
  • It won't let you change that static 500GB hard drive. (They may allow you to buy their branded HD but we don't know anything on that yet) / Built in hardrive
  • The games install on that 500GB HD and they are on blu-ray discs. I will let you guess the sizes and how many games you might be able to install. / We don´t know
  • It won't stop games from having to be tied to your account and activated before you can play them. No insert and play anymore basically. / PS3 gamesaves are tied to account. We don´t know about PS4 yet.
  • It won't stop Kinect(and Smartglass in every game) from being required and having to be on for your Xbox One to work. / It won´t stop Touchpad and PSEye so far we know
  • It won't stop the actual console from being weaker than PS4 and lagging behind the PC by a larger margin.

It is like buying a PC, but worse, much worse. Steam is at least merciful DRM with its cheap prices and ease of use as my backlog on it speaks volumes. My PS3 is already past 450GB+ and that's right now in this generation.

Sony will have bad news on the PS4, but will it be close to this shit? I doubt it.

The man speaks the truth. I built my PC with their help and cookies.

Sonys version so far.

That's quite the bullshit cop out on your part, now isn't it?

You quoted someone else's clearly unsourced opinion to argue against multiple quotes directly from Sony. You took ownership of that premise when you did so. You can't now argue that it doesn't reflect your opinions when you didn't even give it the benefit of context and instead attached it to nothing more than a one liner.

Read the quote from the article which 1st course posted to defend Sony again, carefully.

Tretton's support of used games seems somewhat hollow, however, given that Sony is currently pushing the PSN Pass system, which requires second hand game owners to buy codes to use their games online. He did qualify his statements by adding that Japanese Sony executives may not see eye to eye with him on the matter.

alstein

I don't think the used game locking is going to matter.

Reason: the big publishers will use online pass on PS4, Sony won't stop that, and that will accomplish the same thing, except it will be online only on PS4 and online/offline on XB1. For most folks that won't matter.

That won't be a dealbreaker for me, what it does is inflate the price of used games, which just means I get more cautious over what I buy, but I'm already buying very few console games. Ultimately used game locks will hurt sales of new games (risk-aversion principle), but not the console.

The always-online might be an issue. If Microsoft messes that up in any way, or if it gets hacked, they're going to be in big trouble- that will be lost trust early in the gen. Imagine what would have happened if the great PSN crash/hack happened in 2009 instead of 2011.

I'm much more concerned about Sony charging for basic online MP on PSN. If Sony does that we'll see a very negative reaction- and I suspect a good number of folks who would have bought PS4 will just choose to not buy any console.

Sorral

Sonys version so far.

I almost feel like I can't be bothered to reply to that, but here it goes:

- They already said that I thought.
- Same as above. They just never answered whether there is a fee or not.
- Built-in HD in PS3 yet I can change it by myself just fine.
- We do know. They said they are able to let games stream to the HD while someone plays. Nothing that said "You have to install it to the HD" like in MS's case.
- Gamesaves? Very funny.
- You really think the touchpad compares to the Kinect situation? Because it does not. And the PSeye isn't bundled with the system as far as we know, but it is possible it will be. They never said that you are required to use it however.

Were you trolling or serious?

Pretty funny stances in this thread. People wishing that the PS4 will be as bad as the XB1... Man.
It is odd. You'd think they'd want one of the two to not follow the others suit. But I assume it's some form of pre-purchase rationalisation, from people already invested in getting the XBO. If Sony does it too, then it will make them feel better, because everyone is subjected to it.

Tiops

I'm sure we will get some bad news. Probably about the used games stuff. But I'm not expecting bad news about "always online", if Sony puts the same bullshit time limit without an internet connection, they will lose a great oportunity to win the next generation.

Myshkin

don't both MS and Sony have similar support for region locking - yet PS3 is almost entirely region free, and MS has quite a lot of region locked games. What is the difference in approach from the companies that creates that situation?

Apparently, there's a difference in the fees.

Sorral

It is odd. You'd think they'd want one of the two to not follow the others suit. But I assume it's some form of pre-purchase rationalisation, from people already invested in getting the XBO. If Sony does it too, then it will make them feel better, because everyone is subjected to it.

Oh, it is, yeah.

Pretty sad that we are getting to this point now and it is not about what's the best for us as consumers anymore for these people.

right on. rumors like always online, anti used games etc were never associated with ps4

Wasn't there a bit of rumors with the Orbis leaks last year? At least because of the anti-used games patent by Sony (I think this patent came out this year though?).
The actual rumors never surfaced again about the PS4 though.

Vormund

I'll just say right off the bat that while I have both a PS3 and 360, I have been more in MS's camp this generation.

With that out the way, this thread reads like people wanting Sony to fuck up bad just because MS did. I hope Sony doesn't follow suit because that would be terrible for all of us. I would rather MS fall flat on their face than for both of them to go that route.

Top Bottom