• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3: Sony with some bad news?

Sorral

I think Sony will focus their E3 on their camera.

Yes, they have a new camera. Stop pretending it doesn't exist...

tumblr_mejo8ldT6q1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

I find it extremely funny how some people are grasping at straws and hope that sony does something equally as bad as MS did in order to justify their purchase.

I know there's this insane bias toward the xbox on USA but damn...

Some people even flatout refuse to buy the ps4.

Grasping at straws? You remember the 10 hike on prices from $49.99 to $59.99 last gen? I just can't wait for E3!!!!! You guys are setting yourselves for a big disappointment.

No one us hoping is being realistic. There is a huge possibility of a drm type setup in the ps4 if there wasn't Sony wouldn't be so quiet right now. Ea getting rid of online pass is another red flag. You really think EA are just going to allow their games to sell on PS4 without any type of DRM? Really?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
erm the reason why sony said what they said was because they were the only next gen platform announced in Feb, now that ms has announced and they know they are going through with the used game stuff, they will have to follow otherwise EA, Ubi and many others will be sticking to just xbox

If you think Sony's going to do what MS did on used games you haven't been paying attention.
I think you're in for a letdown. I agree with most everyone else ITT - Sony will have some kind of scheme to announce. Personally I'm OK with the approach MS seems to be taking. It's worked for Steam. As long as pricing becomes more flexible, that's a good thing. Devs and even publishers are dropping like flies the last few years. It can't go on forever.

I am far, FAR more disgusted with MS's approach of cramming TV, gesture controls, fantasy football and the Gold pay wall into the X1. That's why I'm turned off.

Bgamer90

Banned
No one us hoping is being realistic. There is a huge possibility of a drm type setup in the ps4 if there wasn't Sony wouldn't be so quiet right now. Ea getting rid of online pass is another red flag. You really think EA are just going to allow their games to sell on PS4 without any type of DRM? Really?

This.

EA dropped online passes for all of their future games. Not just games on the Xbox.

Just from that, I'm pretty sure that there will be used game restrictions on the PS4.

We'll see what they are at/during E3 I guess.

Grasping at straws? You remember the 10 hike on prices from $49.99 to $59.99 last gen? I just can't wait for E3!!!!! You guys are setting yourselves for a big disappointment.

dont buy EA games...

many steam whores on gaf stopped by ea titles once they went origin exclusive

Myshkin

EA is moving to F2P.

Ratrat

Sony will block used games and go online only if they want to kill the console market in Japan.

I doubt they'll region-lock or go hdmi only as well.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
everyone who is fightning saying sony wont do what xbox did.

put yourself in the place of a third party multiplatform publisher, for years they have been trying to get drm properlly done, they hate used games.

why would they in anyones right mind put a game out on xbox one which is going the anti used route, then put the same game out on ps4 where it doesnt ? seriously think about that

sephi22

why would they in anyones right mind put a game out on xbox one which is going the anti used route, then put the same game out on ps4 where it doesnt ? seriously think about that
Because its better to get revenue from both install bases than just one?
They'll make more profit from one console than the other, but gross profit will still be higher if you release on both.

They can offset that by providing exclusive modes on the console that has DRM to sway multiplatform owners.

Pranay

put yourself in the place of a third party multiplatform publisher, for years they have been trying to get drm properlly done, they hate used games.

If they leave the PS4, it will be their loss.

What else will they do ? Release games on 360 and PS3 who themselves dont have such DRM ?

Publisher have power but that doesnt mean they can dictate whatever they want.

The reason why EA has partnered with MS is because of this and will provide exclusive dlc and 1/2 timed exclusive as well for this reason.

Eventually imo if x1 doesnt end up selling well, it will be a loss for ea and ms

Sony will block used games and go online only if they want to kill the console market in Japan.
That's actually something to consider. As vehemently as GAF opposes restriction to used game trade, the wider Western market may not see it as as much of a dealbreaker. But it would probably make the system non-viable in Japan where the trade is so ubiquitous.

It's called hedging one's bets.

If consumers react negatively to XBO's restriction on second trade, then there will still be a "next gen" SKU out there that they can buy.

I'll just say right off the bat that while I have both a PS3 and 360, I have been more in MS's camp this generation.

With that out the way, this thread reads like people wanting Sony to fuck up bad just because MS did. I hope Sony doesn't follow suit because that would be terrible for all of us. I would rather MS fall flat on their face than for both of them to go that route.

Tbh its only one group of people that want Sony to do some of the anti-consumer bs so MS doesn't look as bad. Most people are weary due to Sony dodging two questions but I hope the same. I'm going to have to applaud Nintendo for not doing this shit.

Developers would region lock games on the 360 while leaving the same game region free on the PS3. It's obviously not the exact same situation, but it shows how publishers can act differently depending on the platform.

I think Sony will leave it up to publishers much like they probably did this gen. I can't see them putting it system level like MS did. Like I said, that would kill the system in Japan before it's ever released. Used games are rather important to the overall market there.

AOC83

Banned

Because they can´t afford to not support the PS4. Simple as that. None of the big publishers is able to survive without Sony.

dab0ne

If Sony does this hopefully they leave it up to developers and publishers so I can avoid individual games instead of entire consoles.

def sim

Because its better to get revenue from both install bases than just one?
They'll make more profit from one console than the other, but gross profit will still be higher if you release on both.

They can offset that by providing exclusive modes on the console that has DRM to sway multiplatform owners.

Yeah, if this were the case, I suspect DLC will be what's made exclusive. Maybe a timed deal at most.

Because they can´t afford to not support the PS4. Simple as that. None of the big publishers is able to survive without Sony.

I highly doubt Activision would have a hard time selling CoD without Sony.

Sony would not survive without EA and Activision.

Me either! If they have such an issue with used games, and feel that games should not be played from disc, why drag discs into this at all. That actually would've saved them from this consumer confusion that's affecting their reputation.

That said, I don't think Sony will present bad news at E3. They'll drop them more discreetly sometime in the Fall.

Please store, get this bulky thing in your storage so you can never make revenue from games from it.

Doesn't sound like something that can take off.

Tbh its only one group of people that want Sony to do some of the anti-consumer bs so MS doesn't look as bad. Most people are weary due to Sony dodging two questions but I hope the same. I'm going to have to applaud Nintendo for not doing this shit.

It's not like nintendo can pull this, when it can't even properly manage user-based network.

gcubed

guys, i heard with them putting the extra memory in there they can't have the extra processing power in the APU. I think you guys should expect them to actually be less powerful

JimiNutz

Banned
I expect Sony to leave the decision with the publishers.
That way they can turn around and say, "we didn't implement this" but the reality is that a lot of 3rd parties will chose to do it.

Both companies will spin it any way they can.
MS are already saying that they designed the console to play used games... you just have to buy a pass every time you try to use the disc on another profile.

Sony will say that they do not require games to be tied to your profile...but if a publisher wants to do this with their game then so be it.

madmackem

erm the reason why sony said what they said was because they were the only next gen platform announced in Feb, now that ms has announced and they know they are going through with the used game stuff, they will have to follow otherwise EA, Ubi and many others will be sticking to just xbox

Erm no.

plufim

If Sony have the "no used games" as an option, it'll be up to the publisher on PS4 if they want this implemented.

So basically EA

I'm sure there will be plenty of bad news, but if they have any sense at all they will steer clear of the mistakes MS are currently making.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I find it extremely funny how some people are grasping at straws and hope that sony does something equally as bad as MS did in order to justify their purchase.

I know there's this insane bias toward the xbox on USA but damn...

Some people even flatout refuse to buy the ps4.

I've commented on this before. We have little to go by right now so to drag PS4 into the mess that's been Xbone so far is a bit premature.

def sim

I'm sure there will be plenty of bad news, but if they have any sense at all they will steer clear of the mistakes MS are currently making.

Or be very transparent about the policies. MS already had some bad news and they were completely confusing about it. It was a clusterfuck.

No they won't. Sony console sales account to millions just like the Xbox ones. Even if they hate Sony for not going with the same drm shit, they really don't have a say in the situation. Most they would do is exclusive content for Xbox One, they will never flat out stop putting games on Sony platforms.

Pranay

I've commented on this before. We have little to go by right now so to drag PS4 into the mess that's been Xbone so far is a bit premature.

Thing is If Sony does this atleast i will go against their decision.

But for now when they havnt indicated they will do and rather have said the opposite and many members have given enough reason why EA cant force Sony is doing. EA simply cant drop Sony and Sony cant enable these policies since it will go against them in Japan and developing countries.

TBH EA and MS partnership is because of this reason imo and with Fifa (Series which sells the most on PS3 and is sold most in europe) is getting exclusive mode.

Corto

I highly doubt Activision would have a hard time selling CoD without Sony.

Sony would not survive without EA and Activision.

Activision

Qa6z5F9.png

Electronic Arts

h2c6B6e.png

Sony has a lot of leverage too. They're not at the mercy of publishers as this is a symbiotic relationship where both parties have great benefits to work with each other. Activision and EA without Sony's business would be in a world trouble, don't think otherwise.

sinseers

Me either! If they have such an issue with used games, and feel that games should not be played from disc, why drag discs into this at all. That actually would've saved them from this consumer confusion that's affecting their reputation.

That said, I don't think Sony will present bad news at E3. They'll drop them more discreetly sometime in the Fall.

That is one thing that Sony is masterful at. Hiding most bad features about their hardware until after it's been purchased by the consumer when its too late. kinda like finding the sorry prize in the crackerjack box.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
The bottom line is if Sony doesn't implement a similar DRM scheme and continues to not charge for online multiplayer, then the gaming community would be totally justified to throw the bulk of their support Sony's way to "vote with their wallets".

However, if Sony follows suit and implements DRM and fees for online multiplayer like XB1, then the meltdowns on GAF will be epic, especially for that one dude who was sending facebook messages to random strangers educating them on the evils of Xbone lolol

Steroyd

That is not a reason to go Xbox only, especially when they do massive business on the PS3 anyway.

Sony will offer the option to block used games, and if the publishers really think that used sales is what's eating into their revenue then they will activate it.

The best EA and Activision could do is offer incentives to pick one version over the other, but game sales will ultimately dictate which console EA and Activision will swear allegiance to if it's too lop sided in ones favour.

The only thing I really worry about is that Sony is going to focus too much on the PS4 social features (like the past MS conference) because they didn't talk too much about that in February.

I think we as gamers are on the same page, just show us games, games and more games! We dont care about skype or sales charts!

bebop242

The used game deal will be hard to swallow, but as long as the PS4 is playable without any internet requirement and doesn't require the camera to be on all the time, I'm still going PS4.

If Sony pulls all that crap like MS, why even bother with consoles? I'd move to PC.

shandy706

There is nothing here that says used games won't have serial number/used fees. Both systems will play used games....neither company has said it will be without a "license fee".

1st party may be our only chance at no restrictions, but they've been vague about that too. Sony is basically SAYING the right thing, but never outright explaining it. Just like Microsoft...but Microsoft has been horrible at handling it. (which is a flip flop from last gen)

I'm still buying both, but I'm honestly not sure exactly WHAT either is doing 100% one way or the other.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
All I see is a lot of posters hoping and wishing that SONY is as anticonsumer, and antigamer as the Xbone.

It's weird, I don't see that at all. I just see some valid consumer skepticism being brushed off as MS fanboy butthurt sentiment. Disappointing GAF.

I'm all about the PS4 at the moment but Sony (or publishers producing content for the platform) won't be getting a free pass from me until the ink is dry on the final details regarding their relationship with DRM and publishers regarding this matter.

I'm not going to put my chips on the table until after E3 and closer to the launch window when these anti-consumer policies are more clear. For the record, I'm appalled at MS's publisher-happy direction going forward.

fertygo

I can deal without used game.. anything about internet requirement though, nope.. I can't use it even if I want.

So let praying.

ZenTzen

Sony would be stupid to do te used games thing especially after all thats happened right after the Xbox One reveal, you can be pretty sure they are seeing how this whole thing is unfolding

just making a clear announcement that used games will play on any console and no forced online would give them a huge leverage over MS, no matter what kind of games MS may throw at us.

If Sony doesn't do the used game thing or just lets developers do it, it's gonna be a massive blow at Microsoft. If Sony can invest in that, in the long run, it could really damage Microsoft.

Top Bottom