• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Announces Dragon Age III: Inquisition (Frostbite 2, Late 2013, DA Series = 8+ mil)

marrec

Banned
iKyJGrSX.gif

I aint playing it if they dont bring back DAO PC gameplay [overhead camera, pausable combat].

Yes this. That's what I meant about a proper game.

Pooya

pr
http://news.ea.com/portal/site/ea/i...gId=1012492&newsId=20120917005535&newsLang=en

BioWare Announces Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

The Return of Dragon Age will be Bigger, Deeper and Powered by Frostbite 2

EDMONTON, Alberta--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: EA), today announced Dragon Age™ 3: Inquisition, the next chapter in the award-winning role-playing game (RPG) franchise, is in development at BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Montreal. Coming in late 2013, Dragon Age 3: Inquisition combines the storytelling legacy BioWare is known for, with deep RPG gameplay, all on a brand new RPG game engine underpinned by EA’s critically-acclaimed Frostbite™ 2 technology.

“The Dragon Age team has been working on Dragon Age 3: Inquisition for almost two years now,” said Aaryn Flynn, General Manager of BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Montreal. “We’ve been poring over player feedback from past games and connecting directly with our fans. They haven’t held back, so we’re not either. With Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, we want to give fans what they’re asking for – a great story with choices that matter, a massive world to explore, deep customization and combat that is both tactical and visceral.”

Added Flynn, “At the same time, we know we need new technology to truly make this vision become fully realized. And we’ve been working with DICE to make Frostbite 2 the foundation for the engine that is going to power Dragon Age 3.”

The Dragon Age franchise has received over 80 awards from critics around the world, and has sold over 8 million copies to date*. Created by BioWare, the property has spawned many novels, an animated film, comic books, collectibles and more since Dragon Age: Origins launched in 2009.

For more information about Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, including updates from the development team and a letter to the fans from Executive Producer Mark Darrah, please visit the game’s official web site at http://dragonage.com. Dragon Age fans can also receive updates on Twitter® at http://twitter.com/dragonage, or on Facebook at http://facebook.com/dragonage.

*According to internal EA data

no platforms? Frostbite 2, late 2013, hmm.

Parley

Banned
Excited for this one, I am playing through Return to Shit Mountain atm.

Can we ask the people over at the PR to provide us with some material for the new OT?

Manus

The one thing I could never get over in II was that you never really left that giant city. Was so annoying.

Hopefully the new engine doesn't have identical body type for every character like before. I was slightly disturbed by 60 year-old characters rocking that 20 year-old ass.

Endless

Electronic Arts Inc. : BioWare Announces Dragon Age 3: Inquisition

The Return of Dragon Age will be Bigger, Deeper and Powered by Frostbite 2

BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: EA), today announced Dragon Age? 3: Inquisition, the next chapter in the award-winning role-playing game (RPG) franchise, is in development at BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Montreal. Coming in late 2013, Dragon Age 3: Inquisition combines the storytelling legacy BioWare is known for, with deep RPG gameplay, all on a brand new RPG game engine underpinned by EA's critically-acclaimed Frostbite? 2 technology.

"The Dragon Age team has been working on Dragon Age 3: Inquisition for almost two years now," said Aaryn Flynn, General Manager of BioWare Edmonton and BioWare Montreal. "We've been poring over player feedback from past games and connecting directly with our fans. They haven't held back, so we're not either. With Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, we want to give fans what they're asking for - a great story with choices that matter, a massive world to explore, deep customization and combat that is both tactical and visceral."

Added Flynn, "At the same time, we know we need new technology to truly make this vision become fully realized. And we've been working with DICE to make Frostbite 2 the foundation for the engine that is going to power Dragon Age 3."

The Dragon Age franchise has received over 80 awards from critics around the world, and has sold over 8 million copies to date*. Created by BioWare, the property has spawned many novels, an animated film, comic books, collectibles and more since Dragon Age: Origins launched in 2009.

rdrr gnr

Frostbite 2 has me interested. I know it's blasphemous but I hope the game's combat is a happy middle ground. Though a return to DA 1 would be good for the core fans.

Bladenic

Seems like a very low key way to announce a big game like this.

Oh well, now that I have finished the ME series I'm gonna play the Dragon Age series. Can't wait for DA2 :p

mrpeabody

Bioware isn't making the kind of games I want to play anymore, either because they don't want to or they don't know how. I wish them the best of luck with their new direction.

mclem

We are working on a new engine which we believe will allow us to deliver a more expansive world, better visuals, more reactivity to player choices, and more customization. At PAX East, we talked about armour and followers… Yeah, that kind of customisation. We´ve started with Frostbite 2 from DICE as a foundation to accomplish this.

This is the bit that interests me the most. I've had a suspicion for a while that Frostbite would start to move beyond just DICE's work, and now we're seeing it in action.

It will be a team-based shooter, only instead of guns, you will use staves that fire different elemental bullets. There will be a cover system. You can summon dragons, but they don't actually do anything other than play a sweet Godsmack tune. The character creation system has been overhauled to add even more depth: there will be over 100k different face tattoo combination, and all of the armor designs are heavily influenced by Ed Hardy. There is also a sick tie-in with Four Loko that we aren't ready to announce yet.

In all seriousness, I hope it will be good. I didn't loathe DA2, and I loved DA:O.

Looking forward to it if this isn't 100% pr talk.

I'll probably wait for some opinions on the game before buying it (Though given gaf's opinion of bioware, I'm not counting on unbiased criticism).

Is the Dragon Age team still in "There was nothing wrong with DA2, it was all the audience's fault" mode?

If so, I wouldn't expect drastic changes for the better.

marrec

Banned
Frostbite 2. Awesome, so we can expect destructible environments and vehicles in this game's multiplayer!! Woooo!!

I'm going to be disappointed if I can't use my Bow to blow up castles in first person mode.

If it's anything like that, please kill me.

Parley

Banned
SM is lower than $20 now, IIRC. I'm a DA:O fan, and didn't get DA:2. Should I pick it up?

As somebody who spent 100 hours playing the first and only now just getting to the second....you should try it.

I am enjoying it only because I knew not to be too excited and I managed my expectations.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to be disappointed if I can't use my Bow to blow up castles in first person mode.

If it's anything like that, please kill me.

I won't just kill you, I'll knife you (with my Knife of +3 Blood Splatter of course) and take your dogtags.

McHuj

That title makes me cringe. Already expecting recycled, rehashed and cheesy templar/mage conflict sold as deep, thought provoking, and visceral.

Top Bottom