• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Announces Dragon Age III: Inquisition (Frostbite 2, Late 2013, DA Series = 8+ mil)

marrec

Banned
Nah it's pretty boring. But it wouldn't be so bad if each area didn't last an hour+. There should be more to do in the cities and non combat areas in general.

Honestly the BEST part of DA:O was the combat, especially before they nerfed the bad guys.

kadotsu

Banned
Nice rebranding. The font sizes give it that confident Kingdom's of Amalur: Reckoning feel. I'm not very confident but I've seen bigger surprises of devs rebounding. I hope Bioware changed their production pipeline enough to make their quest system feel less "MMO segmented" and more cohesive like a singleplayer RPG. I also hope they'll add actual content to this entry.

marrec

Banned
That Subtitle makes me think they're a bit jealous of the Witcher's darker themes and want to show that they can be all dark and mature and shit too.

Geoff9920

I think I'll hold off any judgements until they actually show something tangible. Here's hoping it's more like DA:O and there aren't any wave based encounters...

Shepard

Nah it's pretty boring. But it wouldn't be so bad if each area didn't last an hour+. There should be more to do in the cities and non combat areas in general.
Playing it on nightmare (or even on hard) is the epitome of the RPG battle systems. I'd be ok if they introduced new, interesting scenarios to the fights, but if one thing, they should add more encounters.

Parley

Banned
Is the Dragon Age team still in "There was nothing wrong with DA2, it was all the audience's fault" mode?

If so, I wouldn't expect drastic changes for the better.

I thought they basically admitted that Return to Shit Mountain was bad when they said 3 was going to be a "mix of 1 and 2"

I really enjoyed Dragon Age II in spite of its flaws. I found the combat a lot of fun, actually liked its visual style for the most part and enjoyed the more personal elements of Hawke's story. Look forward to seeing more, and I'm hopeful that Bioware can make a truly great game this time around.

At this point I'm not sure what Bioware can do to avoid the Internet exploding in outrage no matter what, though.

Hindle

Banned
I've never played the franchise and from what I've read I'm not missing much, I'll be keeping an eye on this though. The premise I read sounded promising.

Alienups

Will wait for impressions from gaffers when it's out. I have long lost all faith in Bioware.

I hope they're steering it right away from DA2 and make it more like DA1. Though as Derrick said, no more overly long shit like the Deep Roads please.

LuuKyK

Lets not be inquisitive right now. We should wait for more information before jumping to conclusions. Thats what I'm going to do anyway.

Shepard

That Subtitle makes me think they're a bit jealous of the Witcher's darker themes and want to show that they can be all dark and mature and shit too.

Da:eek: was pretty dark. If you're talking about adding more political intrigues to the mix, I agree.

Taruranto

Let the shitstorm commence.

ibwvMKLkPTHESS.gif

Meh. I really enjoyed the first one, even if it had its flaws. I didn't care though, I wanted a generic fantasy RPG, and that's what I got for the most part. I thought it well made.
The second one though ... it hurt me.

I'm not sure what to think of this franchise anymore. This needs to be good. Needs to be really good. Let's wait and see. I won't get my hopes up though. Not after part 2.

Wanny

At first I was meh, then I saw Frostbite 2 engines. It could be fun to explore with beautiful areas. Only if they don't recycle the same crap all over again. And only if they make it a bit more open world.

Orayn

Comparing this to Project Eternity will be a dramatic example of just how far a genre can fall when it's being developed by people who "want the CoD audience."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We are working on a new engine which we believe will allow us to deliver a more expansive world, better visuals, more reactivity to player choices, and more customization. At PAX East, we talked about armour and followers… Yeah, that kind of customisation. We´ve started with Frostbite 2 from DICE as a foundation to accomplish this.
Well, at minimum, I'm excited to see what it looks like.

So late 2013, Frostbite 2, and lack of screenshots mean this is probably launching with the next consoles?
I would guess this as well.

Lancehead

What would the Frostbite 2 engine actually bring to this game? They talked about armour but that's just a visual feature. What enhancements from a mechanical perspective?

Alastor

I've been basically raised on Black Isle RPG's and remember when BioWare first announced Dragon Age. It was a beautiful day, I was hyped as hell. But years have passed, console versions were announced, and I couldn't even get myself to play the game when I finally was able to. After the backslash the second game got, this news isn't exciting to me at all.

Glad that we have Kickstarter.

I guess my quick question is: I may buy the first one when I'll find it cheap out of pure nostalgia for the old times. Does the story have a closure, so I'm not left with a cliffhanger leading straight into DA2?

Hey BioWare, I know you're reading this. Don't listen to everybody else: the creative choices you made in DA2 were far less offensive than the fact that it had shoddy QA (just like DAO and DAA). On PS3 it was unplayable for over a month after launch until you finally got around to patching it. DAA is unplayable without a wiki to navigate all the crazy landmines that you never fixed, and DOO has it's share, too. How you dodged the PR bullet that Bethesda took I don't know, but seriously, don't treat the console environment like the PC environment anymore. PC players will create mods to fix your bugs. Console players can't. (And honestly, PC players shouldn't have to.)

Make whatever game you want, but please make it work properly. Please be the first PC native WRPG maker to give a shit. I can't take another trip through bugsville with you.

Top Bottom