• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Announces Dragon Age III: Inquisition (Frostbite 2, Late 2013, DA Series = 8+ mil)

Never again I am falling for your lies Bioware, I won't believe anything you say about the game.

I kinda enjoyed DA2 though.

Did you mainly enjoy the combat?

I normally pre-order exciting games such as DA:O but this time I'll wait a few weeks to gauge the response from GAF.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What would the Frostbite 2 engine actually bring to this game? They talked about armour but that's just a visual feature. What enhancements from a mechanical perspective?

I would say two main benefits:

1.) It's vastly faster to create content in Frostbite 2, so you can in theory have a lot more of it.
2.) It handles memory vastly better than their own engine, so they can fit a lot more in any given scene/thing, ranging from graphics to more enemies to more variety among classes and enemies.

Whether they actually do that is of course to be determined.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I've been basically raised on Black Isle RPG's and remember when BioWare first announced Dragon Age. I was a beautiful day, I was hyped as hell. But years have passed, console versions were announced, and I couldn't even get myself to play the game when I finally was able to. After the backslash the second game got, this news isn't exciting to me at all.

DA1 is a really good game, and the PC version is not affected by the console games at all (the game was ported by a different studio after the PC version was finished). DA2 is a clown show, but that doesn't affect the quality of the first. You should try the first game.

Grief.exe

I still haven't played DA:O or DA2, but from what I hear DA2 is a joke.

I used to be a big fan of Bioware games, but lately I kind of just washed my hands of them so to speak. DA:O was produced slightly before their downfall though, so I should give it a try.

Kinda weird that that after 2 years of work they don't even have a 30 second teaser to show.

They haven't been officially working on DAIII for 2 years. Only recently when they were working on DAII DLC did they decide to cancel it and just start work on DAIII.

Tucah

you speak so well
Dragon Age II was probably one of the biggest disappointments of this gen so I can't really get excited for this yet.

I joined BioWare in May of 1997 making this year my 15th year with the Company (So, old…). I am a programmer by training and implemented the AI, scripting, and combat systems in Baldur´s Gate. After that, I moved into a lead programmer role on Tales of the Sword Coast, BG2, and Shadows of Amn. I kept my hands dirty during this time; you have me to blame for the wild mage.

Got to beef up that street cred before the game will become a mangled monstrosity developed by focus groups.

They aren't willing to forget DA2 happened, I'm not willing to give DA3 a chance. I hope Obsidian's game outsells it and has a better metacritic score.

daoster

With Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, we want to give fans what they’re asking for – a great story with choices that matter,

Where have I heard this before...oh yeah...ME3 PR.

So basically, that means our choices WON'T matter.

marrec

Banned
I still haven't played DA:O or DA2, but from what I hear DA2 is a joke.

I used to be a big fan of Bioware games, but lately I kind of just washed my hands of them so to speak. DA:O was produced slightly before their downfall though, so I should give it a try.

They haven't been officially working on DAIII for 2 years. Only recently when they were working on DAII DLC did they decide to cancel it and just start work on DAIII.

Origins is a game worthy of Bioware and the games that dominated my childhood. It was especially amazing considering how much Mass Effect disappointed me. I just assumed that Dragon Age was going to be their traditional RPG series and Mass Effect was going to be their boring 3rd Person Action series.

I was right about one of those things. :(

Mario007

Not when that teaser is for a next-gen console. :p

We've seen teasers for next-gen games already, so I wouldn't see the problem there.

They said that the during the past 18 months they were really focused on developing this game.

2 years to polish the plot. :O

Sadly, even that won't help. (I'll still buy the game, mind you)

Lancehead

I would say two main benefits:

1.) It's vastly faster to create content in Frostbite 2, so you can in theory have a lot more of it.
2.) It handles memory vastly better than their own engine, so they can fit a lot more in any given scene/thing, ranging from graphics to more enemies to more variety among classes and enemies.

Whether they actually do that is of course to be determined.

Thanks for that.

Bladenic

Lemme just ask here, is it worth getting the DA:O ultimate edition that includes the Awakening expansion over the regular edition? Is the content worth it?

marrec

Banned
They aren't willing to forget DA2 happened, I'm not willing to give DA3 a chance. I hope Obsidian's game outsells it and has a better metacritic score.

If DAIII looks in any way similar to Shit Mountain, then I will be giving another 50 dollars to Obsidian.

Cause fuck Bioware if they mess it up again.

Taruranto

Don't get your hopes up. DA:O got a huge follow on console because it was pretty much "babies first real wrpg", a lot of people who played it didn't even know what BG2 or Planescape were. It's not really a good game.

Derrick01

Banned

Well that won't happen. The western media hates Obsidian and loves their favorite casual RPG makers Bioware and Bethesda.

Interfectum

I like that they are using the FB2 engine. They can focus more on content and less on tech. That being said I don't trust Bioware for shit and the game will most likely be RPG-lite garbage with an embarrassing plot and a shitty ending.

EA needs to do gamers a favor and just put Bioware to sleep at this point. The old dog needs to be put down.

Acidote

Already waiting for EviLore's OT, if they really have listened to the fans for some reasons, and if they have not for others.

King Boo

i really liked origins.

i hated the second one.

but i will give this one a shot. new engine sounds promising. if i like the third one, i will force myself to play through poo mountain.

Shepard

I like that they are using the FB2 engine. They can focus more on content and less on tech. That being said I don't trust Bioware for shit and the game will most likely be RPG-lite garbage with an embarrassing plot and a shitty ending.

EA needs to do gamers a favor and just put Bioware to sleep at this point. The old dog needs to be put down.

haha, wow.

marrec

Banned
Don't get your hopes up. DA:O got a huge follow on console because it was pretty much "babies first real wrpg", a lot of people who played it didn't even know what BG2 or Planescape were. It's not really a good game.

It's easily as good as Icewind Dale on PC. I never played DA:O on console, but on PC it was pretty much an Infinity Engine style RPG that you could make 3rd Person.

The combat was tough as nails too, I don't know where you're getting the 'first real WRPG' thing from.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm not expecting them to repeat all of the mistakes they made with DAII, but I find it kinda hard to get excited for the simple fact that the Dragon Age universe is so uninteresting. Bioware never quite delivered on the promise of Mass Effect, but at least it had a compelling universe to pull me in despite the many flaws of the games. Either way, it should be fun to follow the development on GAF.

kswiston

I am cautiously optimistic. Late 2013 means at least 2.5 years from the release of DA2, which is a lot better than the 16 months between the first two games. Hopefully that extra time is being used to make a more worthy sequel. GAF can hate Bioware as much as it likes, but I really enjoyed DA:O on PC. DA2 didn't retroactively change that experience.

Rad-

What? DA:O actually got most of its praise from the PC community. The console versions were subpar.

Alastor

DA1 is a really good game, and the PC version is not affected by the console games at all (the game was ported by a different studio after the PC version was finished). DA2 is a clown show, but that doesn't affect the quality of the first. You should try the first game.

I will, I'll try to buy it this year.

TedNindo

I wish I could get excited for this.

But because of Bioware's direction since EA bought them I'm far more excited for recent kickstarter RPG projects.

Frostbite 2? Shit Mountain will look better than ever.

In all seriousness, let's hope they took DA2's well deserved criticism to heart. Judging by the time they've spent on this so far, it's already a good sign.

Top Bottom