• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA cancelled Mandalorian game due to Disney increasing the licensing fee (Rumor)

Shut0wen

He0YQFZ.jpg

Leaked screenshot of female jedi from the game

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
When LucasArts was actually making Star Wars games they were really hit and miss, most of the best Star Wars games of the LucasArts era were either outsourced entirely or co-developed. Imo only a handful of fully in-house LucasArts games were actually good, and by the end of LucasArts they couldn't shit out a game to save their lives having cancelled something like 5 games in a row.
Outside of Star Wars they have a pretty great legacy though:

LQX

Disney is pinching everyone for license fees. Toy manufactures are also feeling it. Super7 dropped the Disney license as fees got too high.

So if a third party wants to make a licenced game on a licenced engine, will give 33% to disney, 30% to platform holder and another ~20% for the engine.
Better sell feet pictures online.

No wonder they canned it, there's no way to make any money. Even if it was the original 22%, I don't see how that is workable.

22% to Disney
30% to Sony/Microsoft/Valve
5% to Epic for UE5, let's say

So the remaining 43% of revenue needs to cover all remaining costs, that is insane.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Skip the giant fees EA.

You made a good call skipping the outrageous FIFA half billion licensing fees or whatever they were. It's like buying stocks. Dont chase.

Ozzie666

Disney seems so desperate and lost right now, turning to greed to try to patch things up. Amazing how strong they were 5-7 years ago. Knwo your audience idiots.
I guess only console manufacturers can afford the Disney tax, since they don't have to pay any other licensing fees. Or that might be the future for Disney.

Embearded

No wonder they canned it, there's no way to make any money. Even if it was the original 22%, I don't see how that is workable.

22% to Disney
30% to Sony/Microsoft/Valve
5% to Epic for UE5, let's say

So the remaining 43% of revenue needs to cover all remaining costs, that is insane.

And then you are taxed, in Greece it's 23% and i hope it comes after the other 3 got their money and not on the original selling price.

coffinbirth

Your next Starwars game maybe but I'm playing Bluey. I heard this is an Australian IP that Disney somehow got their hands on.
Regardless, it's not the picture you are attempting to paint.

I am too, actually...for those easy daily cheevos. It's an ABC Kids show, and Disney owns ABC.

Disney have been badly managed for years, and their handling of video games in particular has been awful. Games make more money than movies, but Disney shut all their studios down and licensed out their ip. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they raised their licensing fee because their stock is waaay down and raising the fee gives epic less competition when releasing Star Wars games.

Disney has always wanted video game profits, but they don’t want the expense or trouble of running studios. Every time, they wind up shutting down their own studios and licensing everything out.

EA did want to move away from licensed games and get more original IP, and that’s how we got Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dead Space, Mirror’s Edge, etc, but none of their original IP’s bring in the money that loot box farms like FIFA and Madden do. At least they finally managed to drop FIFA.

xrnzaaas

The licensing fee is insane, especially for an IP like Star Wars that's not as strong these days. I hope that the companies like Ubisoft bail out after their current Disney projects are done. The only way to go is to wait it out until Disney bleeds more and there's a change at the top.

StueyDuck

If true. Then good.

Fuck licenses, Star Wars doesn't deserve that much money, it's hardly an interesting IP anymore anyway.

Rather original IP.

Duchess

Well, Disney aren't doing as good as they wanted. Their streaming service, while big, has been losing subs lately. They're now planning Toy Story 5, moving the Moana TV series into cinemas as a full blown movie instead, and probably continuing to think of new ways to rinse Star Wars and Marvel for as much money as they can.

I guess if true that would also affect SW Eclipse. I hope Quantic Dream doesn't need to bail. They have not released anything for quite awhile and I would assume it is close, at least closer than when they dropped that trailer. They are past their kinda usual schedule already but might, like all others, just need couple of more years more than with previous games. Insane and scummy to renegotiate standing deals. Increasing it for the future is fair, and if barely anything was done, it won't matter much, but studios that have worked on some SW game for years and now learn that they have to achieve massively more revenue certainly feel betrayed.

"B-b-but the AAA industry is in crisis... development costs... they should increase prices..."

Greed and incompetence. That's all.

Fuck Disney, the Umbrella Corp. of the present world.

StereoVsn

EA should pull the same thing as with FIFA here, and no need for club license fees either.

Make a space opera game about totally not Space Wizards with laser swords, battling evil empire with a plucky here / space Jesus…

Wait, that’s Mass Effect and they already f-d that up. Nevermind EA, proceed as you were.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

"B-b-but the AAA industry is in crisis... development costs... they should increase prices..."

Greed and incompetence. That's all.

Fuck Disney, the Umbrella Corp. of the present world.
Nah, Disney is mismanaged and terrible, but it really isn’t that. Now, MS, Meta, Google, big Pharma, etc… those are the Umbrella Corps.

Disney is Mickey Mouse in comparison! 😉

EA should pull the same thing as with FIFA here, and no need for club license fees either.

Make a space opera game about totally not Space Wizards with laser swords, battling evil empire with a plucky here / space Jesus…
How cheap would the Rebel Moon license be?
But considering it might have worked well at the beginning but not after reviews, no one should actually pursue this.

StereoVsn

How cheap would the Rebel Moon license be?
But considering it might have worked well at the beginning but not after reviews, no one should actually pursue this.
They created a great world and IP themselves in Mass Effect and killed it themselves as well.

Not sure licensing yet another IP and paying license fees is worth it especially since Rebel Moon hasn’t proven to be particularly great or popular in this case.

Hell, they had their own IP, and had the engine in DICE, which admittedly proved to be a beer to work with and caused many issues.

Sony would be stupid to pay 33% for Venom next year, Spider-Man 3, Spider-Man: The Great Web, Wolverine trilogy and the X-Men trilogy.

Fucking cancel the deal after Wolverine and send these assholes a message.

IAmRei

Glad i stop giving disney any money since few years ago. Star wars also ruined too far, beyond any recovery. Im glad i stopped collecting star wars stuff as well...

I'm fairly certain Disney will up the price on their fees until no one can afford them so that they can buy or create a publisher to make games on their own. By upping the price, there's a potential that contractual obligations can't be met.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
That is a huge increase, I would cancel the game too. Sometimes when you want too much of a taste you get no taste at all.

I'm fairly certain Disney will up the price on their fees until no one can afford them so that they can buy or create a publisher to make games on their own. By upping the price, there's a potential that contractual obligations can't be met.
Hmmmm, this could be a thing. Box everyone out with the price and say “darn, guess we’ll have to build(buy) a studio to create games for all the IPs that we bought’

yurinka

Wouldn't an agreement already be in place before they even started developing the project?
Yes

So if a third party wants to make a licenced game on a licenced engine, will give 33% to disney, 30% to platform holder and another ~205% for the engine.
Better sell feet pictures online.
There's also taxes like VAT, currency exchange fees, the cost of making and shipping the physical versions, the cut for the retailers in the physical versions, the refunds and the ct that goes to the publisher.

But the thing is that not all these percentages are applied to the money paid by the player, but instead after costs. And some of these percentages include some of these costs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom