• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA drops games that "aren't growing", "aren't large enough", or not on viable systems

Schnozberry

There is no crash. Jesus.

At what point does it become a crash? Game and Hardware sales are nearly 40% off their peak in 2008. I'm not sure sticking to the model of creating more powerful consoles and more expensive games is necessarily the path to redemption.

OryoN

What else are they gonna do? Everything else just drains the cash they have.
People like big triple AAA games but they cost too much, the only thing that is successful is FPS games.

You're asking a fair question, and one each dev should think about carefully. We still have to be very honest about the situation. Development cost is a problem partly created by the devs/publishers themselves. And apparently, the bigger they are, the worse this problem is. There are some studios out there that operate on a fraction of the budget, with a fraction of the man-power, and yet, what they are able to achieve is staggering, both in terms of perceived production value AND content. That alone tells us that a lot can be done internally to combat this issue.

Then there's the fact that not every game requires these large budgets. Publishers can just as easily back smaller/less popular games, for much less cost, and make small profits - in principle. That method isn't immediately as attractive to publishers these days because many are chasing(or capitalizing on) that 'overnight success' or 'that one mega hit'. Occasionally it works out, but this predominant focus on big-budget-only games is leaving them with fewer and fewer choices each year. Still, no one forced this situation on them.

At what point does it become a crash? Game and Hardware sales are nearly 40% off their peak in 2008. I'm not sure sticking to the model of creating more powerful consoles and more expensive games is necessarily the path to redemption.

Why do you think hardware might be down right now? That will show you why the sky is not falling.

Oh wait. You're Nintendo Faithful. I'm certain you won't see it.

Kimawolf

Why do you think hardware might be down right now? That will show you why the sky is not falling.

Sure it's down because its no Wii selling 500k a month, or no Nintendo game selling 32 million copies. Surely though you don't think Sony and MS will be able to do that when they couldn't manage last time.

Oh wait. you're one of those guys. Of course you do.

Sure it's down because its no Wii selling 500k a month, or no Nintendo game selling 32 million copies. Surely though you don't think Sony and MS will be able to do that when they couldn't manage last time.

Oh wait. you're one of those guys. Of course you do.

The industry survives fine without a fad console. Nintendo should too.

szaromir

Banned
And if you look at the film business for comparison sake, supporting a wide breadth of material also cultivates a variety of audiences. People of all age categories buy movie tickets, and all kinds of demographics are served by the film industry. Sure you get The Avengers, but there is also The King's Speech, Wreck it Ralph, and Lincoln. If the film industry started only caring about making movies that will gross over 200 million USD, the industry would contract like a motherfucker. And the medium would become culturally marginalized.
The other big trend permeating so many games is giving the player various bars to fill by performing dull, repetitive activities, or some other basic psychological hooks to make you addicted to the game (and ideally make you spend money on microtransactions). As a result, most people perceive video games as something that doesn't offer anything worth their time.

Cronq

Banned
There's no crash. PS4 is going to sell 16 million units before New Years and the industry will be saved!

Game Guru

A crash is instantaneous. For example, the North American Video Game Crash really lasted from 1983 (when Atari killed it) to 1985 (when Nintendo revived it) though the effects of those two bad years continued to be felt until 1987. If the PS4 and Next Xbox excite people as much as the Wii U and Vita have, then the industry will crash. However, I believe what will be happening is a general contraction... Sort of like a Dark Age. The gaming industry of today is suffering from the same exact issues that the film industry in the '50s and '60s suffered from. Basically, it was the Fall of the Studio System where the established studios of the era had focused on big expensive epics and found themselves unable to compete with television, independents, Europe, and Asia. Naturally, console video games are focusing on big expensive epics by imitating the summer blockbuster and are beginning to find themselves unable to compete with mobile and independent developers.

larvi

My how this company has fallen. From their original 1983 "We See Farther" ad:

The first publications of Electronic Arts are now available. We suspect you'll be hearing a lot about them. Some of them are games like you've never seen before, that get more out of your computer than other games ever have. Others are harder to categorize—and we like that.

Watch us.

We're providing a special environment for talented, independent software artists. It's a supportive environment, in which big ideas are given room to grow. And some of America's most respected software artists are beginning to take notice.

We think our current work reflects this very special commitment. And though we are few in number today and apart from the mainstream of the mass software marketplace, we are confident that both time and vision are on our side.

Join us. We see farther.

So no more Dead Space, damn, that's a shame, and here I thought EA would get a hint and realize that people want Survival Horror rather than Action Horror, and that at E3 you should show Horror not Action & Giant Drills, Sigh.

Question, how many copies did Dante's Inferno sell ?!

btkadams

so, what does this mean for platform support? no more vita/3ds/wiiu releases? extremely disappointing, since i put WAY more hours into the vita version of nfs mw than the ps3 one.

No surprises.

I've said before that publishers will double down on successful franchises and quickly cull those that under perform.

In lean times, there is no room for speculative ventures only sure fire winners. It's less risky to spend on those that are performing well.

Shiggy

My last EA game was Boom Blox: Smash Party and even that was pretty crappy. Since then I happily avoided their titles.

FIFA is already confirmed for handhelds - so yeah its going to get a Vita version.

And Madden looks like its PS3/360 only.
Thanks for that. Just one title on handhelds. That's a bummer =/

Here's hoping that they at least bring a better and more updated version of FIFA on VITA this time and also port the upcoming PvZ 2 to Vita.

Schnozberry

A crash is instantaneous. For example, the North American Video Game Crash really lasted from 1983 (when Atari killed it) to 1985 (when Nintendo revived it) though the effects of those two bad years continued to be felt until 1987. If the PS4 and Next Xbox excite people as much as the Wii U and Vita have, then the industry will crash. However, I believe what will be happening is a general contraction... Sort of like a Dark Age. The gaming industry of today is suffering from the same exact issues that the film industry in the '50s and '60s suffered from. Basically, it was the Fall of the Studio System where the established studios of the era had focused on big expensive epics and found themselves unable to compete with television, independents, Europe, and Asia. Naturally, console video games are focusing on big expensive epics by imitating the summer blockbuster and are beginning to find themselves unable to compete with mobile and independent developers.

Fair point. I guess we'll have to see how it plays out.

XPE

I disagree. The title of "Best FPS Ever" belongs to Bioshock 1. Even as a IP, at least it didn't degrade in quality much with sequels and actually managed to deliver a solid title in the shape of Infinite.

Well we are going to have to agree to disagree on that one, I felt Bioshock started out really strong and ran out of steam half way through by the end it had lost all energy, as for Crysis I felt like it manage to keep you hooked right to the end.

Schnozberry

Yes of course, I'm a fan of Nintendo franchises, so I'm incapable of noticing general industry trends. I think Game Guru made a salient analogy. The major players in the industry have become bloated and inflexible.

The irony that EA are forcing their own demise by taking this sort of attitude is pretty hilarious. When the next big crash happens, EA's shareholders will take their dividends and leave in a massive sulk and EA will tank.

patapuf

Their definition of viable is ONLY sports games, generic COD fps clones & generic Gears/Uncharted tps clones.

Crash incoming.

I like diversity but the time EA was most experimental was also the time they were loosing the most money.

Which is why they only produce what they are sure sells now.

A crash is instantaneous. For example, the North American Video Game Crash really lasted from 1983 (when Atari killed it) to 1985 (when Nintendo revived it) though the effects of those two bad years continued to be felt until 1987.
This is very true, and I'd like to point out a large component of the original video game crash was that video games, through reckless publishers and retailers, had become retail poison.

It wasn't just that game companies went out of business or contracted, video games themselves, as a mass market entertainment product, came to be seen as a fad that had passed due to the massive glut of absolutely terrible products that was ordered by 'runaway retailers' seeking to cash in on the bonanza.

Nintendo reviving the video game market wasn't just making good games or products, it was convincing retailers to carry the products to begin with.

You mean popular games that sell really well.
Are you okay with publishers only catering to the lowest common denominator for mega-sales (or a chance at mega-sales) while avoiding everything else?

It's good for them if they keep raking in the dough. For gamers who want more than those types of games, it's not that great.

Absolute BS if Dead Space is dead. I want to know what the end game is for Isaac and the universe at large after the events in DS3 and Awakened.

One more game EA. DO IT.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
bye bye Mirror's Edge 2 forever :(

in all honestly do you really want?

I mean look at Dead Space 3,BF3,Mass Effect 3,Sims,Syndicate..ect EA don't keep the games quality, with EA strategy on sequels Mirror's Edge 2 will most likely end up as a shooter focused abomination.

Maztorre

You mean popular games that sell really well.

Outside of their sports games and Battlefield, selling "really well" is still not enough to meet expectations, apparently. Which is why Dead Space is screwed as a franchise and Danger Close were shuttered after their 2nd Medal of Honor.

Focusing only on known quantities that are current top sellers is a losing strategy because EA will either keep increasing the marketing spend for sequels in the expectation of higher sales until that fails and then they're posting losses and axing staff all over again, or they'll inevitably have an unexpected critical failure like MoH: Warfighter which will literally cost them tens of millions of revenue they were fully expecting with their so-called "safer" business model.

Or, most likely, consumers will latch onto the next big next-gen franchises that come out of studios and publishers who invest in new IP and go there for entertainment instead.

I guess it makes sense to focus on margins if they're expecting a costly transition.

Sometimes it sounds like people actually want an industry crash for some reason?
Are you okay with publishers only catering to the lowest common denominator for mega-sales (or a chance at mega-sales) while avoiding everything else?

It's good for them if they keep raking in the dough. For gamers who want more than those types of games, it's not that great.
People should realize the marketplace brings this conservatism upon themselves. EA and other publishers are simply reacting to market trends.

People should realize the marketplace brings this conservatism upon themselves. EA and other publishers are simply reacting to market trends.
I'm sure people realize that. The average consumer isn't very well informed and has horrible taste. No amount of wallet voting will change that. Why else were people freaking out about Wii Fit and casual games a couple of years ago? But now that soccer moms and senior citizens are no longer threatening console gaming as we know it, the focus is on the bro gamer lol.

Schnozberry

That is true, but part of this is that budgets are out of control, and gigantic returns are necessarily for them to climb above water. EA needed a harsh internal review of their business practices, but I'm not sure that they interpreted the message correctly. It seems that rather than fixing their underlying approach to development, they just cut every last ounce of risk out of their portfolio. While that may make investors happy in the short term, I'm not sure it's a very good outlook for long term growth.

Maztorre

Like Marvel comics in the 90s, right? "Reacting to market trends" turned comics into a ghetto. Marvel literally had to take all of their IP into another medium for it to gain legitimacy.

You can't just hand-wave everything as working as intended because "the market". EA helped create the conditions for their section of the marketplace by focusing on adolescent male fantasies, so no wonder "market trends" indicate that the only people left are the few million adolescent males being pandered to, who haven't been driven off to smartphones, handhelds and PCs for some variety in content and prices.

MysticX

I blame xbox 360 and ps3 since this gen was so insanely expensive for them and I do believe more companies went out of business then ever during a single console generation

so, all in all, Nintendo was right, the time wasn´t right for HD at said time

Like Marvel comics in the 90s, right? "Reacting to market trends" turned comics into a ghetto. Marvel literally had to take all of their IP into another medium for it to gain legitimacy.

You can't just hand-wave everything as working as intended because "the market". EA helped create the conditions for their section of the marketplace by focusing on adolescent male fantasies, so no wonder "market trends" indicate that the only people left are the few million adolescent males being pandered to, who haven't been driven off to smartphones, handhelds and PCs for some variety in content and prices.
Nothing has changed with regard to demographic targets, the 13-35 male has been and will continue to be the target audience and market.

The market trend I'm referring to is the collapse of the middle of the market; indies are thriving, big blockbusters are bringing in returns. But there isn't room for a mid-tier, at least not as the mid-tier currently operates.

That is true, but part of this is that budgets are out of control, and gigantic returns are necessarily for them to climb above water. EA needed a harsh internal review of their business practices, but I'm not sure that they interpreted the message correctly. It seems that rather than fixing their underlying approach to development, they just cut every last ounce of risk out of their portfolio. While that may make investors happy in the short term, I'm not sure it's a very good outlook for long term growth.
Except that too is reactionary.

If EA could get away with selling you Dragon Age 3 with 8bit sound and 2D graphics they would.

Consumers drive the bigger, better, more mentality as much, if not moreso, than publishers/developers.

Top Bottom