• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA/Maxis Sue Zynga for Copyright Infringement

Tagg9

Hmmmm, why does this sound so familar???? Was it because EA was previously sued because they copied another companies games? Why was it ok for EA to copy others but when they are copied they cry foul? Bullshit. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/5197/Sega-sues-Fox-EA-over-Crazy-Taxi-Clone/

I don't recall the specifics on that case, but it seems to me no different than Sega All-Stars Racing copying Mario Kart. Unlike in this instance, the Simpsons game didn't copy the graphics and gameplay verbatim - it was made in a very different style and added in additional gameplay mechanics above and beyond those found in Crazy Taxi.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't know which of these two is the lesser evil.

For this case or all time? All time EA is easily worse.

As I said I hope they bleed each other dry in court.

Pyronite said:
Glad to see Derrick01 gettin the "it's fun to be contrarian" smackdown he has long deserved

Contrarian would imply that I side with Zynga here when I don't. I merely stated how humorous it was that EA gets pissy about someone stealing their ideas when they do the same thing, only they found a legal way to do it. Game mechanics and styles aren't copyrighted usually so it's not illegal or sue-able, but that doesn't mean aping them isn't any less shameful. I have played a character in ToR to 50, and I played WoW for almost 4 years. It's WoW...with less features. Most of their other big games are clearly trying to be various hugely successful games in various genres. Again it's not illegal but it's still not respectable.

there's making a game extremely similar to another game, and then there is outright fucking stealing. Zynga couldn't even be bothered to change 1 or 2 gameplay mechanics. They copied the entire game. I can't even believe zynga hired all these talented game directors, producers, and designers from big publishers just to make them copy other people's work

Hmmmm, why does this sound so familar???? Was it because EA was previously sued because they copied another companies games? Why was it ok for EA to copy others but when they are copied they cry foul? Bullshit. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/5197/Sega-sues-Fox-EA-over-Crazy-Taxi-Clone/

If you played both games, you'd know they're extremely different.

And the developer was the former studio, Radical Entertainment, under Activision, which are now shut down.

jman2050

there's making a game extremely similar to another game, and then there is outright fucking stealing. Zynga couldn't even be bothered to change 1 or 2 gameplay mechanics. They copied the entire game. I can't even believe zynga hired all these talented game directors, producers, and designers from big publishers just to make them copy other people's work

I imagine they were ready to make the pretense of at least being novel in their next few games. Unfortunately, with the stock crashing and users leaving by the truckload looks like Pincus is just gonna keep the good ol photo copier up and running to try and salvage things.

M3d10n

No, but I figure that given how many times Gameloft has completely ripped off a competitor and not been sued indicates that the publisher of the original title realizes they don't have a particularly good case. Zynga's not much worse as far as their copycat antics go.

The main difference is that Gameloft's rip offs are carefully designed to avoid lawsuits. They mostly emulate the overall theme and aesthetic, but when you actually play their games the differences are on the same level as those from other games in the same genre/sub-genre.

They follow the same "rules" used to make those copycat movies that always show up after some blockbusters, and those have never been sued.

I imagine they were ready to make the pretense of at least being novel in their next few games. Unfortunately, with the stock crashing and users leaving by the truckload looks like Pincus is just gonna keep the good ol photo copier up and running to try and salvage things.

Didn't they announce they are going to enter the real-money online gambling business too? Their true colors showed up quickly when the stocks started crashing.

Subitai

I miss GoBots =*(
You're trolling my pic right? ;) That dude is the biggest meanest decepticon that transforms into a base. Check out this epic deviant art of him smacking down the Dinobots:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs21/f/2007/268/5/1/Trypticon_Vs_Dinobots_by_EspenG.jpg

You're thinking of Zod from GoBots (which I also liked :D )
Zod.JPG

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The main difference is that Gameloft's rip offs are carefully designed to avoid lawsuits. They mostly emulate the overall theme and aesthetic, but when you actually play their games the differences are on the same level as those from other games in the same genre/sub-genre.

They follow the same "rules" used to make those copycat movies that always show up after some blockbusters, and those have never been sued.

Don't Zynga's games tend to be about as "carefully" designed to avoid lawsuits? I don't actually play their shit, so I dunno. Just seems like, from what I've seen, like they skirt the line, but make sure not to cross it.

But maybe not. Mark Pincus is an idiot, after all.

M3d10n

Don't Zynga's games tend to be about as "carefully" designed to avoid lawsuits? I don't actually play their shit, so I dunno. Just seems like, from what I've seen, like they skirt the line, but make sure not to cross it.

But maybe not. Mark Pincus is an idiot, after all.

Until a while ago, yeah. They were basically taking concepts from elsewhere and slapping energy and spam mechanics for Facebook. They even sued a couple companies for copying their FB games. Now look who's being sued for copying a FB game on FB.

I hope to God that they bring up the quote in which the Zynga president says the company strategy is to copy other games. If not, I will be a sad panda.

Game mechanics and styles aren't copyrighted usually so it's not illegal or sue-able, but that doesn't mean aping them isn't any less shameful. I have played a character in ToR to 50, and I played WoW for almost 4 years. It's WoW...with less features. Most of their other big games are clearly trying to be various hugely successful games in various genres. Again it's not illegal but it's still not respectable.

I understand that you literally hate EA unconditionally with some sort of weird Hate Boner, but you are seriously looking like an idiot by keeping this up. Even you know the difference between games copying each other and flat out copying and pasting. Or maybe you're just so blinded by your extremely weird (and yet harmfully self-aware) hatred of a company that makes toys that you actually think you're somehow fighting against an injustice to society.

I dunno, man, you're a kooky dude.

Derrick01

Banned
I understand that you literally hate EA unconditionally with some sort of weird Hate Boner, but you are seriously looking like an idiot by keeping this up. Even you know the difference between games copying each other and flat out copying and pasting. Or maybe you're just so blinded by your extremely weird (and yet harmfully self-aware) hatred of a company that makes toys that you actually think you're somehow fighting against an injustice to society.

I dunno, man, you're a kooky dude.

I don't know how many times I have to say I get the difference between the two. I just don't think what EA does with their games is much higher on the morality scale than Zynga.

I don't know their mobile/facebook library so I won't comment there but when they make AAA games they usually look at what's popular in the genre and tries its best to copy it. It's not a straight rip like Zynga but there's no ambition or uniqueness in their stuff. They're the largest publisher in the industry and yet they bring nothing of value to the industry. They're followers of trends and games that lesser publishers risk making.

charsace

I don't know how many times I have to say I get the difference between the two. I just don't think what EA does with their games is much higher on the morality scale than Zynga.

I don't know their mobile/facebook library so I won't comment there but when they make AAA games they usually look at what's popular in the genre and tries its best to copy it. It's not a straight rip like Zynga but there's no ambition or uniqueness in their stuff. They're the largest publisher in the industry and yet they bring nothing of value to the industry. They're followers of trends and games that lesser publishers risk making.

By your logic ID should be suing the shit out everyone right now. And Koei too. There should be sue chains all throughout the game industry then.

Derrick01

Banned
By your logic ID should be suing the shit out everyone right now. And Koei too. There should be sue chains all throughout the game industry then.

Nope because like I said what they do is legal. It's just morally shameful and creatively bankrupt. But I'm not exactly revealing shocking news on EA's library there.

Zynga comes off as wanting to be EA but just not trying very hard if all they can come up with is a straight rip.

charsace

Nope because like I said what they do is legal. It's just morally shameful and creatively bankrupt. But I'm not exactly revealing shocking news on EA's library there.

Based on what you're saying every game developer is shameful. Every single one.

Derrick01

Banned
Based on what you're saying every game developer is shameful. Every single one.

Nope because you're still thinking that anyone who makes a FPS owes id a royalty check. EA puts out a game like ToR that is widely criticized as a WoW clone because of how extremely similar it is.

game in same genre does not automatically equal a clone. EVE is not like WoW, ToR is a LOT like WoW.

iammeiam

I hope to God that they bring up the quote in which the Zynga president says the company strategy is to copy other games. If not, I will be a sad panda.

It's in the complaint (page 11):

In the article, a former Zynga employee recounted that, at a meeting with Zynga’s CEO Mark Pincus, Pincus proclaimed “I don’t f[***]ing want innovation. . . . You’re not smarter than your competitor. Just copy what they do and do it until you get their numbers.”

Wiktor

]I just don't think what EA does with their games is much higher on the morality scale than Zynga.

How? You might complain about BioWare Austing being creatively bancrupt, but bringing morality into play? TOR has plenty of it's own stuff. It's not even remotely close to what Zynga does. Especially since BioWare Austin is filled with people who made the games Blizzard copied in WoW too. Using your logic Blizzard itself also isn't any higher on morality scale than EA , especially since their whole settings are ripped from Games workshop.

So bassicaly Blizzzard = Zynga on morality scale? That what it seems to be like. As you can see, this line of thinking leads to pretty ridiculous results.

It's in the complaint (page 11):

I am happy as a schoolboy.

I just don't think what EA does with their games is much higher on the morality scale than Zynga.

I don't think you know what morality means.

Or at least I hope you're not using morality as in human morality to describe the business of making a luxury item.

Video games are fun and all, but when you start taking them that seriously... yeah, that's when you lose me.

Oh, who am I kidding? Of course you take it that seriously.

Good. I hope EA crush them, utterly. Hope what poor, abused talent that still exists there lands on their feet, but Zynga is a cancer.

Is there scope for Pincus being imprisoned over the insider trading? I'd enjoy that very much.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Nope because you're still thinking that anyone who makes a FPS owes id a royalty check. EA puts out a game like ToR that is widely criticized as a WoW clone because of how extremely similar it is.

game in same genre does not automatically equal a clone. EVE is not like WoW, ToR is a LOT like WoW.

Extremely similar in the sense that they're both MMOs, sure. WoW is a LOT like EQ as well.

I don't know their mobile/facebook library so I won't comment there but when they make AAA games they usually look at what's popular in the genre and tries its best to copy it.

Which game did they copy with Mirrors Edge, Sims, SimCity, Spore, Dead Space, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect?

Btw you also just described 90% of all game companies

Derrick01

Banned
Which game did they copy with Mirrors Edge, Sims, SimCity, Spore, Dead Space, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect?

The majority of spore was just a bunch of existing minigames put together and the space section was a terrible version of some empire building game. Bringing up a terrible game isn't helping your argument. Neither is bringing up games that were created 10-20 years ago.

Mirror's Edge was unique, I'm already on record with that.

Dead Space was created to compete with Resident Evil and the developments with DS3 prove that all the more.

Dragon Age was supposed to be Baldur's Gate 3 originally. It's a poor man's version of it.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 are quite clearly Gears wannabes. EA wasn't involved with ME1 at all.

The majority of spore was just a bunch of existing minigames put together and the space section was a terrible version of some empire building game. Bringing up a terrible game isn't helping your argument. Neither is bringing up games that were created 10-20 years ago.

Mirror's Edge was unique, I'm already on record with that.

Dead Space was created to compete with Resident Evil and the developments with DS3 prove that all the more.

Dragon Age was supposed to be Baldur's Gate 3 originally. It's a poor man's version of it.

Mass Effect 2 and 3 are quite clearly Gears wannabes. EA wasn't involved with ME1 at all.

Did you know Baldur's gate was created by BioWare? And thanks for illustrating with the rest of your examples that EAs "copying" is much milder than the entire rest of the industry

Note: if you are comparing Zynga to Gameloft then you're showing just how little you understand what Zynga have done, here.

Gameloft may mimic popular games, but they always make their own unique games out of the style and concept that they're copying. Zynga have repeatedly taken a game, reskinned it, moved the paywall, then released it. They haven't made a game like The Sims Social, they have actually made The Sims Social. If you honestly think that's the same as what Gameloft do, then you're wrong.

Gameloft may be guilty of releasing uninspired rubbish, but they're not guilty of theft.

Derrick01

Banned
Hard to argue with people who cant put 2 and 2 together, but i still find it telling that youre in a room full of EA haters who think youre being ridiculous

People tend to be irrational and forgetful when a greater evil is being fought. It was telling when everyone called ToR a WoW clone from day 1 almost, if not before it came out, and now all of a sudden it's "What Derrick? You're nuts, it's TOTALLY different"

I understand we're all out for Zynga's head here but I don't see why we have to forget and ignore EA's faults to hope for them to crush Zynga.

Derrick01

Banned
They weren't? Thank you for making me imagine a world where EA never touched the Mass Effect franchise. :(

Nope 1 was published by MS. If I remember right the Bioware/Pandemic purchase was announced a few months before 1 came out and wasn't put in place until after it came out. It's why ME1 has never and will never see the light of day on PS3. The PC version was different and handled by Bioware/EA (since I'm pretty sure the PC version came out months later)

Haunted

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/5197/S...zy-Taxi-Clone/
Nope, wasn't ok then, and it's not ok now.

Good that Sega filed a suit back then (because goddamn, Road Rage was truly shameless), and it's good that EA files a suit against Zynga now.

Good. I hope EA crush them, utterly. Hope what poor, abused talent that still exists there lands on their feet, but Zynga is a cancer.

Is there scope for Pincus being imprisoned over the insider trading? I'd enjoy that very much.
What an appropriate user name :D

Dantis

I'm surprised how many people are comparing EA to Zynga. EA pulls a lot of dumb shit, but they also finance a lot of games which are aimed entirely at the core market. Pretty much everything on EA Partners is really interesting, and that's ignoring all the good stuff that their internal teams put out.

Has Zynga ever done anything positive of note?

I am late in responding to this, but as a Pixel Artist, I know for certain in all of my time adjusting palettes and adjusting color values that coincidentally getting those exact same values is pretty much impossible if you're just wanting to approximate and observe the colors you want to imitate, even moreso when you factor in stuff like differences in how displays output colors between the platform the game is running on and the display the other game is being developed on.

Looking at the comparison screenshot again, it actually looks like they did that not just to this UI feature but for most every graphic in the game in order to accurately copy EA's values of colors, the biggest difference being the hues.

EDIT: Also, I am of the opinion that EA isn't that evil, they just suck at using some of their developers.

Danny Dudekisser

I am late in responding to this, but as a Pixel Artist, I know for certain in all of my time adjusting palettes and adjusting color values that coincidentally getting those exact same values is pretty much impossible if you're just wanting to approximate and observe the colors you want to imitate, even moreso when you factor in stuff like differences in how displays output colors between the platform the game is running on and the display the other game is being developed on.

Looking at the comparison screenshot again, it actually looks like they did that not just to this UI feature but for most every graphic in the game in order to accurately copy EA's values of colors, the biggest difference being the hues.

Before anyone chimes in with "Zynga's so fucked now," keep in mind that color choices are not, on their own, copyrightable.

That said, I'm really looking forward to this legal slugfest. Zynga can't weasel their way out of shit forever.

Danny Dudekisser

That is true.

It is evidence, however, that Zynga was clearly copying shit, so it might make the court a bit more inclined to find substantial similarity... the real difficulty for EA, though, is obviously going to be showing that what Zynga appropriated was actually copyrightable... copying general themes or ideas is fine.... if one couldn't do that, the video game industry couldn't exist... but yeah, I can see this being a close case. Zynga's game looks very similar, but it's just different enough that it's hard to say.

But again, if I had to guess, I'd say Zynga will win.

Top Bottom