• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Play 2017 (E3 Conference) Thread: Hey Mr. Palpatine Man [Over]

Rate the conference

Results are only viewable after voting.
About a D+ presentation in my book. A lot of things that Im sure no one knew a single thing about during the presentation, sports, a little Battlefield DLC, sports, Biowares new IP but not really, sports, a nice little snippit of NFS, and a good bit of Battlefront that actually doesn't look like complete hot garbage so far.

It could've been better but it wasn't horrible in my opinion. I liked A Way Out, BF1 DLC and Battlefront II, however it would've been awesome if they ended the show with a good teaser for Visceral's Star Wars game.

I thought this was a better conference than last year, but still very poor. The pacing is just awful.

Still A Way Out, Anthem, and Battlefront 2 are all games I'm damn excited about so its still a decent lineup from EA. But man they need so much work on their presentation

ViciousDS

Banned
God, why does EA suck so much year over year. This year wasn't as bad as last years but holy crap.

2013 and 2016 were so high in terms of garbage, I still can't believe that they barely skim themselves of beating the lowest tier of conferences

HowZatOZ

Banned
So it's early to tell but is VR potentially dead outside of PC? Obviously only PSVR is outside of PC headsets but at this current time it seems so dead in the water if one of the biggest publishers in gaming made no mention of content.

I think for me VR is the safest in the PC market because of the high percentage of "big spenders" that would go for VR early on in the tech life. This higher percentage to me means developers are more likely to develop games on PC as a VR title or VR hook to a title than say PSVR where yes it's over one million install base but still lacking push from big publishers. PC developers are more likely to go VR because of the indie life and welcoming of tech challenges.

Again, way too early being only the first of many E3 showings but EA is still a big fish, and this has me worried for console VR.

Amazing conference! Electronic Arts continues to provide the sleek, sophisticated presentation skills that the rest of the industry envies. Major Hits like Madden, FIFA, Battlefield and Battlefront provide a refreshing, forward looking approach to games with industry leading features and story telling. I can't wait. Let's Play!

10/10 conference

So it's early to tell but is VR potentially dead outside of PC? Obviously only PSVR is outside of PC headsets but at this current time it seems so dead in the water if one of the biggest publishers in gaming made no mention of content.

I think for me VR is the safest in the PC market because of the high percentage of "big spenders" that would go for VR early on in the tech life. This higher percentage to me means developers are more likely to develop games on PC as a VR title or VR hook to a title than say PSVR where yes it's over one million install base but still lacking push from big publishers. PC developers are more likely to go VR because of the indie life and welcoming of tech challenges.

Again, way too early being only the first of many E3 showings but EA is still a big fish, and this has me worried for console VR.

I know it would be a bad move on Sony's part to completely ignore VR at the conferences... but I really hope Sony completely ignores VR at the conference. No interest in it.

Edit: Why did I think you posted this on the Sony thread

The thing I like about EA unlike other big publishers is that they actually try to make visually impressive games and succeed at it consistently.
1li1sj.gif

Van Bur3n

Probably already set the stage for what will be the worst conference at E3 this year, just like last year.

A few intriguing games, the same sports game bullshit, other sports bullshit not actually pertaining to the games specifically, and telling us pointless information no one cares about.

EA has learned nothing over the years.

DMONKUMA

It was better than last years, but that's not saying much at it's probably gonna be the worst of the conferences(not including devolver and PC show).

Definitely interested in Battlefront 2 and intrigued by anthem. We'll see how it official looks tomorrow.

HowZatOZ

Banned
How can they screw up this hard every year lol. It's like the people who have a say in this are learn resistant to the max.
Their biggest bread and butter is sports ball, so they'll talk about that. The problem is that is only one specific fanbase which, generalising here, is your dude bro type. So they'll cater to that at greater lengths which can be incredibly boring because they'll tie in their real life sponsoring because it's based off real life things.

levyjl1988

Banned
I literally fell asleep watching that conference. It was pretty bad. Not a fan of sports and I took a nap during the Battlefront 2 gameplay. Was expecting single player campaign gameplay, but nope.

Did anyone else attend this live? My legs started aching like crazy near the end, haha. Why did they have to show an entire BF2 match...

GunBR

The problem with EA conference is that they don't know when to wrap it up. Or like someone already said...

Wow, what a conference...

elnb.gif

Battlefront 2 looks great. But do we really needed to see a full match that took 15 minutes?
Do we really needed that whole FIFA segment on stage instead of just showing some gameplay + story mode trailer?
And the producer showing a replay of a single move of LeBron in NBA Live during 3 minutes. Why?

luchadork

man, hardcore gamers are weird as fuck.

battlefield 1 DLC looked sick.
madden and fifa story modes looked great.
a way out looked tremendous!
need for speed looked like burnout on steroids.
anthem teaser... i want to see more.
battlefront 2 looked immense.
even the nba live trailer looked much improved.
that was it. nothing egregious or super offensive. and a lot of stuff that if youre into these games, which the majority of gamers are, looked epic.

and then i come on here and everyones shitting on it. wtf. battlefield, madden, fifa, need for speed, and star wars are some of the most popular games in the world. and what they showed looked tremendous. some of the vitriol on here though. holy shit. some of you guys seem like you dont even like games anymore lol.

GunBR

that was it. nothing egregious or super offensive. and a lot of stuff that if youre into these games, which the majority of gamers are, looked epic.

and then i come on here and everyones shitting on it. wtf. battlefield, madden, fifa, need for speed, and star wars are some of the most popular games in the world. and what they showed looked tremendous. some of the vitriol on here though. holy shit. some of you guys seem like you dont even like games anymore lol.
As I said in a previous post, everything took too much time. Specially Battlefront

Plus, as someone who buys FIFA every year, I don't want to see 10 minutes of the game in a conference unless they're showing some incredible new thing
I'm pretty sure that most Madden and NBA fans feel the same way

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

Is this your first E3? Shitting on conferences is 95% of the fun.

I'm just not sure who this was for. There was nothing for investors, media, and developers. The E-Sport treatment of EA B2 gameplay seemed forced, drawn out, and would've been more effective if shown straight. Younger, YouTube audience doesn't want to see their personality in a boring mock documentary thing or not being able to hear their commentary. The Madden/FIFA/NBA presentations seemed really bare and unappealing. Announcement of an announcement for BioWares game seemed pointless given the time table.

Seemed like they thought they were putting on a play for children rather than the industry and the core audience that tends care enough to tune in live.

Not saying there wasn't good there. BF1, EA B2, NFS Payback, and A Way Out looked great. I loved that they acknowledged that most of the reception to EA Battlefront was less than positive. The VA for the B2 lead was earnest, despite exaggerating the way she was moving and gazing drove me nuts in a bad way.

But that was all fighting hard to come out from under what the rest of that presentation was.

border

Battlefront is DLC. Madden/FIFA/Live are annual sports sequels that deserve no stage time. Need For Speed has had a run of bad games, and the crashes are ridiculously tame since car manufacturers won't let their vehicles get destroyed. It's only vaguely related to Burnout.

Battlefront could have been impressive, but instead they made us sit through a multiplayer match that got boring after 2 minutes, and then went on for another 15 minutes.

need for speed looked like burnout on steroids

Hey, I agree with you, but the bolder part... that is so wrong it hurts.

The thing is, the delivery was as unfun as it could be. It was more of a case of horrible conference and uninteresting reveals (with the exception of A Way Out) than bad games.

Bizukah

Neo Member
Why did it feel so rushed? There was literally no transition between any of the games. They would play a trailer, and then someone would be like "AND I'M HERE TO TALK ABOUT NEED FOR SPEED"

It was so... strange

Also, they said they would "bridge the gap between The Force Awakens, and a New Hope" but
the end of The Force Awakens was the beginning of a new hope..

Gattsu25

Banned
Mediocre show 3/10

Positives:

A Way Out
Battlefront II
Acknowledging failures with Battlefront I.

Negatives:

Need for Speed showed poorly in my opinion. Game looked generic as hell from a game-play perspective. Graphically it looked good.
Too much talking from everyone.
Battlefield showed nothing with so much hype.
Anthem should have been saved for Microsoft's show.
Some of those worst cRap music i've ever heard. (stay triggered GAF)
Endless Sports non-sense.

fN5Pa0r.png

ZeoVGM

Banned
Not a good conference. They showed some good stuff but the pacing was just terrible. Did no one learn from Sony?

But man, I had no idea how badly some people hated YouTube stars. Like, I don't even know them well at all. I don't watch that stuff. But the pure hate iJustine got when she popped on screen... why? What did she do?

And I saw one guy call out EA for having a "hot chick in a short skirt" on stage. No dude, that's a standard dress.

I feel like this was a poor conference as a whole due to the pacing but man, have fun guys. It's E3. No reason to be so negative.

On another note Janina Gavankar is so great. I know she's a big gamer and you could tell she would legitimately excited.

wmlk

The thing I like about EA unlike other big publishers is that they actually try to make visually impressive games and succeed at it consistently.

I don't understand, this is typically only a budget related thing for big publishers. They have the talent and staff to do it. It just so happens that EA has a lot of big franchises worthy of that kind of budget.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I feel like the message regarding Battlefront 2 was botched.

To hype up the new story mode but not show any of it was a huge mistake.

I don't like games anymore because I thought the way EA put on their show was really bad?

Well, I'll be.

MTC100

Banned
I feel like the message regarding Battlefront 2 was botched.

To hype up the new story mode but not show any of it was a huge mistake.

They showed a few cutscenes though. It's already a good sign that EA seems to get that we'd want a story mode, perhaps they even get the bigger picture some day and we'll get a new Kotor though?

They showed a few cutscenes though. It's already a good sign that EA seems to get that we'd want a story mode, perhaps they even get the bigger picture some day and we'll get a new Kotor though?

Pretty sure most of those cut scenes were old, from the reveal trailer. I know for a fact droid Palpatine was.

The only time I was excited was when they showed EA Access and a PS4 logo... :(

That aside, the conference was fine, it was way better than previous years. The only thing I don't understand is why they talked about that super secret small division where they R&D stuff. Like who cares. It's like Sony announcing at E3 that they have a new R&D division where they research the next PS.
Wouldn't the better way be: waiting a few years, implementing their research in a game and then talk about it.

Top Bottom