• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Play 2017 (E3 Conference) Thread: Hey Mr. Palpatine Man [Over]

Rate the conference

Results are only viewable after voting.
How did you deduce that Visceral's game is directly related to Young Han Solo from like 5 seconds of footage? Some portion of the game is set in the OT era and beyond that I'm not sure if much can be said.

Unless a person has a relatively intense knowledge of how Lucas/Disney roll out their films and are willing to make the same deductive leap that you are, of course they would have expected to see more of the game this year. Certainly it is not outside the realm of possibility to expect a name, a logo, a CG sizzle reel or something along those lines. Battlefront 1 got that ~18 months prior to its release.

Lol. Hahahaha, some folks be pulling caca out they ass.

Minamu

Is there an archived link somewhere? The OP links are just showing the aftermath interviews, I don't want to see that *first* :lol

M.Steiner

Pretty meh for the most part, for me.

• A Way Out - Definitely a highlight for me, but whilst I like the concept of it, only being playable in split-screen co-op is a little disappointing (a SP option would have been nice) but that being said, I suppose that's the point of it heh. Still, it's one I'll be keeping an eye on. Looked great.
  • Anthem - Interested, but really didn't see much. Looking forward to seeing more of that during MS' conference tomorrow.
  • Battlefront 2 - Stunning, and they sound to have addressed some of my issues with the first game (like content) so I'll probably get it. Would have preferred them to have split the gameplay section up though and show a SP demo too.
  • Too much sports.

I wonder how hard it was for that guy to not use the actual name of the scorpio. He must've worked on promo stuff for months.

They keep hammering away with terrible NBA attempts, but PGA Tour is dead. :(

Nba is big right now and growing.
Highest viewership since MJ.

Golf died with Tiger.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Need for Speed: Payback looked liked Fast & Furious.
A Way Out looked interesting.
Anthem reveal was just a teaser.
Battlefront II looked great but they didn't show the singleplayer.

So I would rate this conference C.
I know. Why mention one of the biggest changes, then not show it.

Caught off guard with them mentioning Scorpio.

Payback looks like my kind of game.

Ashtar

I'd rate it 3/5
A Way Out was the clear stand out Game of the Show contender
Anthem teaser was cool
SW: BF2 well Javina was super hot, I'd have liked to see some more of the single player though, MP was good
They really should have shown more of Need for Speed Payback it should have been longer imo
Madden was pretty good
Fifa was ok
NBA Live was kind of bad especially at first but The One looked okay

R1CHO

Ea: "and now 30 minutes of uninterrupted Battlefront 2"

Me: "Fuck yeah!"

30 minutes later

skeleton-using-computer-840x420.jpg

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Using free EA Access now to download Battlefront 1 and Garden Warfare 2 to play them for the first time. They also sold me on Battlefront 2 and A Way Out. I say this is a pretty good conference!

border

The Spawn-Charge-Die-Repeat loop of Battlefront wasn't even all that fun to play, let alone watch. I have no idea why they thought people wanted to see 20 minutes of it. I love how every time they cut to someone in a flying vehicle they were completely ineffective and doing nothing of importance. You'd just see them desperately trying to slow down so they can shoot some infantry......failing to do so, then having to pull back out. I am surprised they even attempted to add air vehicles to that map.

I can't believe EA rope-a-doped us with "We've got 30 minutes of Star Wars!" only to reveal that they were going to force everyone to watch a complete multiplayer match in its entirity, in real time. Who thought that was a good idea? At least last year they had the good sense to keep the Battlefield One multiplayer event on the post-conference stream.

belushy

Banned
The MP for Battlefront looks pretty good. So glad we have droids and clones in this game, too. Hoping (not expecting tho lol) for some kind of option where you could do clones v troopers or rebels v droids in a custom game.

The Spawn-Charge-Die-Repeat loop of Battlefront wasn't even all that fun to play, let alone watch. I have no idea why they thought people wanted to see 20 minutes of it.

I mean, I feel you, but what else would multiplayer shooter footage look like?

"Live, Die, Repeat" is basically every shooter I've ever played.

I never forget the PS4 reveal event in NYC, Feb 2013. Mark Cerny never looked at the teleprompter, he knew all his lines by heart. I remember being so impressed by the guy not because he was the architect (which was impressive in and of itself) but that he went through the effort of knowing his lines. That shit connected with me.

Yep, was crazy.

For the people that wanted more diversity in game protagonists, Madden and FIFA are as big as games get and they both have black protagonists in their story modes, I think thats kind of big.

border

I mean, I feel you, but what else would multiplayer shooter footage look like?

"Live, Die, Repeat" is basically every shooter I've ever played.

Not only is the baseline unit in Battlefront quite vulnerable, but the game is full of Hero units and vehicles that can one-shot all normal player characters. A lot more dying, a lot more repeating. Watching someone go on an incredible streak can be cool but the game doesn't favor that because of how quick and common death is. BF is just a meat-grinder of a game, and the situation only gets worse when they are insistent about cutting between a dozen different players. It's impossible to spectate in any meaningful way because the footage doesn't show us any kind of meta-narrative. Who's winning and why? Who's doing this or that to support or move the lines forward? Ahhh, whatever he's some more droids getting mowed down.

It can actually be fun to watch teams work together in objective-based games and small-team PVP. This was just kind of nonsensical to watch.

I know. Why mention one of the biggest changes, then not show it.

Caught off guard with them mentioning Scorpio.

Payback looks like my kind of game.

Now I am sure that we will get Battlefront Singleplayer gameplay at Playstation Conference and not Visceral Star Wars.

I was hoping for us to get both of them at this E3, Battlefront II singleplayer and multiplayer at EA Play and Visceral Star Wars at Playstation, but it seems my hopes have been shattered.

Liamc723

It absolutely was not realistic to expect that. Lucasfilm calls these shots, not EA. I'm sure EA would have loved to show it but that's not how any of this works when it comes to the SW license.

Nah, it was a very realistic thing to expect. Not sure how you're so certain that it's linked to Han Solo when nothing like that has been said.

ActWan

Sadly, I missed half of the conference...
But my verdict on the trailers:
Need For Speed - pretty embarrassing
A Way Out - looks great! will definitely buy with a friend.
Anthem - looks interesting, but will probably be meh...
Fifa 18 - hell yeah! show us more though.
BF1 and BF2 - couldn't care less.

Where was Visceral's Star Wars game?!

border

Now I am sure that we will get Battlefront Singleplayer gameplay at Playstation Conference and not Visceral Star Wars.

I thought the same thing.

But if they were going to show Battlefront at the Sony press conference, why didn't they say so? They had no qualms about teasing their games at Microsoft's conference.

It's entirely possible that they aren't going to show the Campaign until some later date in the future.

borges

Banned
Honestly, was a boring conference. Content was great (specially BF2 and New Brother Tales game) and Janina's presentation was fun. Ill try to see the good part, and that is was much much better than 2016.

Wagram

The last real conference at E3 before this was Sony 2016. I don't see any world where this show is above a 4, especially when you compare it to such a high bar. This conference was bad, really bad.

mikeGFG

Banned
EA needs to switch to a Nintendo style direct conference.

The EA live presser is a snoozefest at best and a fucking trainwreck most of the time. The whole thing must be a colossal waste of marketing money.

How was Jess from Need For Speed able to jump in the car tho? The doors most certainly couldn't be opened within the narrow confines of that semi-trailer, and neither of the windows were smashed. No sunroof either...

Gonna give this conference a D+. A Way Out was the highlight for me. NFS looked alright. Rest didn't really do anything for me. Pretty bad conference overall.

bluehat9

I wonder how hard it was for that guy to not use the actual name of the scorpio. He must've worked on promo stuff for months.

Nba is big right now and growing.
Highest viewership since MJ.

Golf died with Tiger.

But they actually had a functioning game, and made with Frostbite. Just throw it out as a digital only thing. More than what they've had for NBA.

border

EA needs to switch to a Nintendo style direct conference.

The EA live presser is a snoozefest at best and a fucking trainwreck most of the time. The whole thing must be a colossal waste of marketing money.

I am increasingly confused by its purpose as well. Half of it is annual sports titles, and the large audience interested in that stuff isn't sitting at home watching a livestream on a Saturday. Like, I have no idea what the point of 20 minutes of FIFA/NBA/Madden demos is supposed to be. We knew these games were coming.....the people interested in these games will buy them regardless of whatever dumb features you dreamed up this year.....and everyone else watching gets bored to tears.

There's a segment for Battlefront DLC which is okay I guess, but at this point you're either in or you're out on BF1......the people still playing will get the DLC, and nobody else is going to be reeled in by it.

The other half was Star Wars -- a game they've already revealed, showing off features we already knew about. The license prints its own money -- this could have had its own separate event and received just as much attention......arguably more attention if they weren't trying to compete for headlines with the 200 other games being revealed this week.

Other than giving a nice spotlight to Way Out, this felt like it didn't have much of a point. The fact that they had to pad out length by showing 20 minutes of one game's multiplayer is kinda pathetic.

Top Bottom