• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Play 2017 (E3 Conference) Thread: Hey Mr. Palpatine Man [Over]

Rate the conference

Results are only viewable after voting.

Garjon

That was quite bad. The only positive for me was A Way Out, but then a game from the Brothers devs with a proper budget was always going to win me over. Battlefront 2 REALLY should have been given its own mini event. Biowestinyfall should have been dropped so that it's unveil at MS would have a bigger impact. BF1 got a lot of time for what was very little content shown. Need For Speed is basically a simplified Burnout Revenge with cheesy acting. The sports sections dragged on for so long and had so much unnecessary filler. All in all, the entire conference was horribly paced, the presenting was incredibly stiff and corporate apart from the AWO unveil and the BF2 voice actress bit.

This has been the third straight year of bad conferences for EA and I think they need to sit down and ask themselves what they're doing these pressers for. They have cut the number of projects down significantly since Riccitello left and as a result EA's lineup seems incredibly barren. I don't think EA is actually gaining anything by doing these events and should consider either ditching them or doing things like having a Battlefront/Battlefield etc multiplayer event and put trailers/unveils in between. Right now it seems like they're just doing a press conference for the sake of it and are flatly refusing to learn from their errors.

Wedzi

Banned
Was looking forward to Battlefront 2 single player gameplay :( Oh well. Looking forward to seeing Anthem at the MS presser tomorrow though. Not the greatest conference for sure lol

KORNdoggy

A way out was the only thing that really excited me. The co-op only approach is great to me. Couch co-op in particular is a dying feature and to see it emphasised here is very refreshing.

Battlefront 2 I'll probabaly buy thanks mainly to the added story mode and the free maps modes and hero's. Baring in mind the story mode is actually any good, which I'm not confident if because dice. Lol

Need for speed looked ok Albury cheesy but the gameplay was broken up way too much. Drive 3 feet. Cutscene. Crash into a car. Slo mo action cam. Drive an extra 3 feet. Cutscene etc etc. If that's indicative of what we should expect they can keep it.

Anthem I just have no faith in at all but need to see more. They've lost all their decent writers and the last 2 games they made (arguably 4) were hot garbage. Will need to see more at the MS event to be sure but not holding my breath.

The rest were sport games, so...snore!

Overall better paced than last year but not really enough there that excited me.

supergiz

This was the highlight of the Electronic Arts conference for me. We were watching it in VR and at the end DJ Baby Groot came out for a party.

vrSHILB.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qetYg38STao

Arkam

Their presser was meh for me. The Way Out looks decent gameplay wise but is tainted by layers of cookie cutter cheese in the presentation, story and characters. And the way they presented BF (with community) and SWBF2 with the actress (Ill be snuggling with someone when I play) reeked of scripted insincerity. IDK why but I was expecting more from EA this year. SW looks like a fun game, Madden and Fifa look like typical high quality.... but NFS looked bad. Very generic gameplay, insane amounts of pop in and literally no sense of speed (even when boosting).

They need to stop sanitizing their presentation of their products and let their creators speak free form.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So where is that Visceral Star Wars game?

It's almost certainly related to the Young Han Solo movie and will thus remain under wraps until Lucasfilm decides they want to start showing stuff from that. I can't believe anyone expected to see that at this conference today. There was no way in hell.

Terribly boring conference. Battlefront 2 will be ace, but where are all the other Star Wars games?! For how long are they sitting on the licence now? Isn't time for a new Star Wars RPG, X-Wing game or Jedi game?? Podracer?? DOOO something with that licence, damn.

I don't care about EA having sports, because that's what they produce. The way they handle their conference however, is just totally baffling. It feels like EA is delusional about how having Sports figures and this pageantry they do every time makes for an excellent show.

border

It's almost certainly related to the Young Han Solo movie and will thus remain under wraps until Lucasfilm decides they want to start showing stuff from that. I can't believe anyone expected to see that at this conference today. There was no way in hell.

They showed it last year. Almost any reasonable person would expect to see it in greater quantities this year.

mas8705

I knew going into this that it was going to be bad, but I admit that I'm shocked that it blew those expectations out of the water with how it was. Only saving graces were the prison co-op and the Anthem teaser, but even then that is still rather difficult to say as one mentions the "Split screen co-op" that was turning some people off while the other is more like a "To Be Continued" for the Xbox Conference tomorrow.

In spite of what was shown for that, I have to say C-. This was about what I expected, and while there was some interesting moments, it was still hard to sit through a good chunk of it before we finally got to the actual games of interest (and even then, saying "interest" might still be too generous of a word...)

Liamc723

Considering there was a 3 second teaser last year, it was absolutely realistic to expect to see more of the game.

It's disappointing that we didn't.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
They showed it last year. Almost any reasonable person would expect to see it in greater quantities this year.

They showed five seconds of basically nothing, but enough to see that it's the same era as Young Han Solo, and synergy dictates that it's probably related to the 2018 movie in some way, which means it's part of the movie's rollout, and Lucasfilm calls those shots. Any person with any knowledge of how Lucasfilm works would not expect any of it at this E3. Especially when EA has a Battlefront 2 release to push for this year. It was silly to think the Visceral game would be shown.

Considering there was a 3 second teaser last year, it was absolutely realistic to expect to see more of the game.

It's disappointing that we didn't.

It absolutely was not realistic to expect that. Lucasfilm calls these shots, not EA. I'm sure EA would have loved to show it but that's not how any of this works when it comes to the SW license.

Green Yoshi

Why does EA not give their licences to indie studios and then publish the games under the EA Originals label? Ultima, Dungeon Keeper, Burnout etc. don't deserve to die.

Well, you gotta give EA credit for being the first to set the bar, irregardless of quality. :v

Really surprised they only showcased seven games during the entire conference (and even then, only two were new game reveals / new IPs, and one of them --Anthem-- was just a teaser for the actual gameplay reveal at MS's conference). Its something I'd expect from Nintendo, not EA. And like last year, a lot of it is just talking about the game or non-gameplay footage within the game, rather than actual gameplay itself (at least up until the Battlefront II footage).

Will say some good things though: NFS Payback looks alright, and the A Way Out game actually looks intriguing (though I presume the fact its designed around co-op will turn a lot of people away from it). And the technical gaffs that happened (like NBA Live showing up during the Battlefront II showcase) was pretty funny.

Other than that, nothing really interesting though. Will probably be on the lower end of the conference quality spectrum, though I wouldn't call them the nadir (I have a feeling Nintendo has a good chance of surpassing them as the worst of the lot).

Fbh

As someone who has done some work on corporate events and stuff like that I'll never understand how a multi billion company like EA can put up such a shit tier show.

I understand that they are not as invested in E3 as Sony and MS and I don't expect them to start their show with a live orchestra .

But come the fuck on!!!! From the presenters to the footage to the focus of their message, everything was terrible

One of the things that always gets me is that the presenters always speak from the teleprompter and aren't very good at it. I'm pretty sure they're classes you can take or practice to make it seem natural.

I never forget the PS4 reveal event in NYC, Feb 2013. Mark Cerny never looked at the teleprompter, he knew all his lines by heart. I remember being so impressed by the guy not because he was the architect (which was impressive in and of itself) but that he went through the effort of knowing his lines. That shit connected with me.

Zukkoyaki

Honestly thought it was a decent show marred by some awkward pacing and show structure. EA really needs to cut back on the speakers or at least tighten up what they're saying when on stage.

They brought someone out to introduce someone else who would introduce actual footage. Why not just go straight to the person presenting the details/trailers? Just silly. It happened like 3 times.

Fbh

Where do I find the conference summary? Sorry, don't know my way around neogaf at e3

-Ea likes Esports and stuff.
-Madden has a story mode
-The character from last year's FIFA was popular
-Ronaldo is doing stuff for FIFA 18
- Awesome looking new game from the creators of Brothers: A tale of two sons is a coop only prison escape adventure.
- Bioware has a new IP but they showed almost nothing, will have a full reveal at the MS conference tomorrow.
- New Need for speed is more cinematic and has lots of talking and bad acting
- Battlefront 2 looks cool but won't blow you away if you didn't enjoy the first one.

Dynasty8

EA makes a lot of money because of sports, Madden and Fifa sell millions of copies every year and have hardcore fan bases. What are they supposed to do? Tell them to fuck off?

Showing sports titles at an E3 press conference isn't going to change people's minds about buying the game. The sports fans (myself included) will buy the games regardless.

They need to spend time with new games, new IP's, and not something we literally see every year.

An alternative and better approach would be to host a separate livestream event for each sport titles a month or two before release to build some hype, but again, they don't need it, these games WILL sell no matter what.

border

They showed five seconds of basically nothing, but enough to see that it's the same era as Young Han Solo, and synergy dictates that it's probably related to the 2018 movie in some way, which means it's part of the movie's rollout, and Lucasfilm calls those shots. Any person with any knowledge of how Lucasfilm works would not expect any of it at this E3. Especially when EA has a Battlefront 2 release to push for this year. It was silly to think the Visceral game would be shown.

How did you deduce that Visceral's game is directly related to Young Han Solo from like 5 seconds of footage? Some portion of the game is set in the OT era and beyond that I'm not sure if much can be said.

Unless a person has a relatively intense knowledge of how Lucas/Disney roll out their films and are willing to make the same deductive leap that you are, of course they would have expected to see more of the game this year. Certainly it is not outside the realm of possibility to expect a name, a logo, a CG sizzle reel or something along those lines. Battlefront 1 got that ~18 months prior to its release.

Top Bottom