• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Star Wars: Battlefront will recieve a Battlefield-sized marketing push

Battlefront in third person? I didn't even know you could outside of the jedi stuff which wasn't even a good part of the game.

As for battlefield-sized marketing push, if that were true I think we'd have seen about 1 hour of footage already lol

Of course. It has to fill in as this fiscal year's Battlefield.

Isn't bf hardline releasing in like a month or 2?

That is what I thought, but I haven't played a battlefield game in a long long time.
That is what it was too. I played SWBF2 online for over 3 straight years as my only multiplayer game, it had a unique feel but it was basically Battlefield with a Star Wars skin in the way the game played.

The big difference was the third person and the extremely long time to kill. Gunfights were more like Halo or an older arena shooter than Battlefield. But the maps, modes, and mechanics were all Battlefield.

Nabbis

Probably copy/pasted with BF4 code, gameplay functions as well as the fabulous netcode. Might as well call it "Battlefield:Hoth". I will be really pissed if they don't expand on what the second and the first had to offer.

JimiNutz

Banned
I really want this to be good but have very low expectations.
A Star Wars skin over Battlefield isn't gonna do it for me. Also disappointed that this isn't third person, or at least the option.

The bigger question IMO is who will snag co-marketing rights?

If this game looks good, and ties in with the movie, it's going to sell a metric shit ton. This will be a major fall release. I'm excited to see whose E3 stage it shows on.

Jigorath

Banned
I assume it's going to be one of their three main shooter franchises along with Battlefield and Titanfall. Each game will be on a three year dev cycle so they have something big for each holiday.

Jawmuncher

Battlefront in third person? I didn't even know you could outside of the jedi stuff which wasn't even a good part of the game.

As for battlefield-sized marketing push, if that were true I think we'd have seen about 1 hour of footage already lol

Considering COD this year won't even be shown off until May, it's really not all that unheard of now for bigger announcements to be closer to game launches these days in the AAA space. Come E3 is going to be where we hear all about battlefront and have it shoved in our faces until release.

As for hardline I'm guessing they're using that as the game for those who don't want battlefront the few there will be.

It's confirmed FPS only,

When did they change their mind? Last I read TPS was in.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Fiscal years end in April for most game companies, which is why that launches in March.

mnannola

If a majority of this game is not done by E3, they are either going to release a trimmed down version of the game, or release a buggy as shit version. No way is this game getting pushed to 2016.

WillyFive

Battlefront always seemed to me like a 3rd person Battlefield, except with the ability to fight against bots.

They better allow us to use bots; it being online multiplayer only would be horrible.

The bigger question IMO is who will snag co-marketing rights?

If this game looks good, and ties in with the movie, it's going to sell a metric shit ton. This will be a major fall release. I'm excited to see whose E3 stage it shows on.

Well, Hardline was/is PS4. EA released 3 free games to Sony systems (Mirror's Edge, PvZ, NFS). EA has an exclusive program on XBO. Not sure if there's a place to look up marketing agreements.

I guess it could go either way, though I can imagine EA/Microsoft salivating at the prospect of increasing subscriptions of EA Early Access with Star Wars as the primary drive.

Is this game suppose to have a single player campaign as well?

I'm really looking forward to the great multiplayer, but I wouldn't say no to a good Star Wars campaign.

Time has really altered people's perception of Battlefront. It already WAS Battlefield with a Star Wars skin. (Granted it was Battlefield 1942/Battlefield 2, before DICE started going crazy with things like suppression)

It's pretty clear that Pandemic mooched off DICE in terms of map design/gameplay mechanics, threw in a third person mode and some bots and called it a day.

This game along with the crap I had to put up with from MCC is going to make me not buy Halo 5 on release day. Which will be the first time that has ever happened.

Time has really altered people's perception of Battlefront. It already WAS Battlefield with a Star Wars skin. (Granted it was Battlefield/Battlefield 2, before DICE started going crazy with things like suppression)

It's pretty clear that Pandemic mooched off DICE in terms of map design/gameplay mechanics, threw in a third person mode and some bots and called it a day.

ya people seem to forget that a number of lucasarts star wars endeavors were essentially reskinned versions of popular games.

Time has really altered people's perception of Battlefront. It already WAS Battlefield with a Star Wars skin. (Granted it was Battlefield/Battlefield 2, before DICE started going crazy with things like suppression)
Also this. Even going past the game mode they share, the way the games play is very similar.

Nabbis

They sure as hell didn't mooch the map designs. Those two were similar, but only in the most basic gameplay philosophy. There was no massive rush against rush like on Kamino and nothing like Hoth in BF. Maps had very distinct themes in battlefront as well as very different vechiles.

Cornbread78

Well, Hardline was/is PS4. EA released 3 free games to Sony systems (Mirror's Edge, PvZ, NFS). EA has an exclusive program on XBO. Not sure if there's a place to look up marketing agreements.

I guess it could go either way, though I can imagine EA/Microsoft salivating at the prospect of increasing subscriptions of EA Early Access with Star Wars as the primary drive.

I don't know, doesn't Sony have the history with the Battlefront franchise?

Would be a huge "get" for MS though.

Woorloog

Banned
It being FPS only would not bother me at all (on the contrary, having 3rd person view would bother me) but i'm more worried about it having ADS. And Sprinting. And just about every fucking thing from modern shooters.
We don't need any more of that crap. Star Wars especially doesn't need that crap.

zoozilla

For me, Battlefront was always a console-centric franchise that shone in split-screen multiplayer matches.

I already know that this new one will be nothing like the Battlefront I loved. I still hope it'll be a good game, though. Just the thought of Star Wars on new consoles is exciting as hell.

a916

I enjoy FPS over 3rd person shooters... but I have full faith in DICE to release a fun game (probably broken severs at release)

I imagine this one is too 3rd person? I'm hyped to say the least

It's confirmed FPS only,

EDIT: Or maybe not... I'm more hyped about it then. DICE can really lean heavily on their BF4 experience so I'm glad as hell.

It being FPS only would not bother me at all (on the contrary, having 3rd person view would bother me) but i'm more worried about it having ADS. And Sprinting. And just about every fucking thing from modern shooters.
We don't need any more of that crap. Star Wars especially doesn't need that crap.

it already had sprinting and dodge rolls in the second (you had a stamina bar)

which is why I preferred 3rd person, I liked knowing where I was dodge rolling and having a better field of view

hydruxo

I don't think it'll hit me that Battlefront is actually coming until we see some gameplay, but damn I'm excited to see what it's going to be like.

Woorloog

Banned
it already had sprinting and dodge rolls in the second (you had a stamina bar)

which is why I preferred 3rd person, I liked knowing where I was dodge rolling and having a better field of view

Oh. I forgot those. But then i disliked the third person view and presumably didn't use dodge especially much.
Oh, well, i dislike sprinting but it is a lesser sin compared to ADS (unless a game with it is free to play).

I love BF4.
I have little interest in Hardline.
I have basically zero interest in Star Wars as a franchise.

Yet,

I really hope they pull this off well and convince me to buy a copy.

we also dont need a new star wars movie. but here we are, and i betcha they're not using 1970s/1980s techniques and equipment to film those new movies.

Top Bottom