• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Star Wars: Battlefront will recieve a Battlefield-sized marketing push

we also dont need a new star wars movie. but here we are, and i betcha they're not using 1970s/1980s techniques and equipment to film those new movies.

What is this "WE" you speak of? Did I miss the convention where they changed "YOU" to mean "WE"?\
What are the odds it will have local split screen?
When_Pigs_Fly.gif

After the mess that was the BF4 launch and how much fans have wanted this sequel I expect them to be making sure that there are no issues at launch. I'm looking forward to seeing some footage from this and with Dice making it I'm keeping the faith that they will do something amazing with it.

We have some early dev footage. Endor, Hoth, speeeder bikes, Stormtroopers. That's about it.

Hoping the game is polished by E3 and they're just tying loose ends and fixing bugs afterwards.

Wat. Have you never played the Battlefront games? That's what they've always been.

in essence we mean with all the shoehorned nonsense that BF entails.

ADS, attachments, loadouts ect. Battlefront 1 and 2 are pretty well balanced in my book and adding superfluous things may make things harder to balance

Cels

In the middle of 2013, during EA's FY14Q1 earnings call, Frank Gibeau said that the game has a "third-person component to it"

But....just a few months ago, while confirming the Holiday 2015 release date, Blake Jorgensen stated that the game would be EA's major first-person shooter for 2015.

Does this mean that the 3rd person mode is out? No one knows for sure. Could go either way.

TM94

It's going to be out at a time when everyone will be gripped by Star Wars mania.

It doesn't even need that big of a push, the game is going to sell a lot.

I'm surprised this is news, because that would mean before this EA was considering just releasing it into the wild. It's fucking Star Wars, this is a hot year, EA what are you doing if you have to announce that it's going to get a BF-sized marketing push. No, you give it the best push possible, EA! BIGGER THAN HALO PUSH!

I'm surprised this is news, because that would mean before this EA was considering just releasing it into the wild. It's fucking Star Wars, this is a hot year, EA what are you doing if you have to announce that it's going to get a BF-sized marketing push. No, you give it the best push possible, EA! BIGGER THAN HALO PUSH!

i think it's interesting because they'll probably push it harder then the BF game they're releasing within the next few weeks.

Socat

In the middle of 2013, during EA's FY14Q1 earnings call, Frank Gibeau said that the game has a "third-person component to it"

But....just a few months ago, while confirming the Holiday 2015 release date, Blake Jorgensen stated that the game would be EA's major first-person shooter for 2015.

Does this mean that the 3rd person mode is out? No one knows for sure. Could go either way.

"Third person component" could just be meaning vehicular combat, which would make sense.

I'm guessing that includes splitting parts of the game and marketing it as day one preorder DLC along with 4 others down the line

AlexIIDX

Sure, I don't want it to be exactly BF4 reskinned. But thinking of the scale of BF4 and instead of jets flying overhead you hear tie fighters, seeing battles with laser guns in the distance, instead of being knifed you get run through with a light saber, instead of an eod bot you see an R2 looking droid arming mcoms.... Would be pretty fucking cool.

Sure, I don't want it to be exactly BF4 reskinned. But thinking of the scale of BF4 and instead of jets flying overhead you hear tie fighters, seeing battles with laser guns in the distance, instead of being knifed you get run through with a light saber, instead of an eod bot you see an R2 looking droid arming mcoms.... Would be pretty fucking cool.

That's why I'm excited. A reskinned Battlefield just sounds perfect when you acrually think about what weapons and vehicles we have and swap them with Star Wars stuff.

I'm a bit disappointed that so far there's been no sign of the Clone Wars era being included in the game. I know some people don't like it, but the Battlefront games have always been about playing the battles from the entire star wars saga and having vehicles, locations, characters, weapons etc from all the movies, not just a few of them. Removing the Clone Wars gameplay as if it isn't important would sort of miss the point of what the original games were about.

Would be healthy to not make it with all the post-BF2 perks. So many unlocks and all that mediocre, balance-killing jazz.

I'm excited, but I also imagine a lot of terrible things over the horizon. One of the suns disappeared and sold as DLC.

There is no doubt in my mind that this game will kick ass. Sure, Bf4 had a lot of problems but it turned out well enough for me to put in 1,000 hours.

injurai

Banned
Just be good. Please start strong, and I'll buy these for many of these for years to come.

But my time is limited so I can be bothered to be strung around anymore by half-baked games.

I sincerely hope DICE has actually learned from their mistakes and the magnitude of their failure with BF4. Although I am excited for the new movie and a new Battlefront game I have no faith in them to deliver a complete, functional and stable game after the BF4 fiasco. I don't expect perfection but the sheer quantity and severity of bugs and glitches in combination with the fact that it took them the better part of a year to fix the game was absolutely unacceptable. The worst part is it's not the first time they've released a broken mess, the BF3 launch was pretty bad too. They need to break this cycle of releasing broken games, pushing out DLC then releasing patches that don't fix things, make them worse or introduce new bugs. It has to stop. Marketing can talk the talk all they want but the real proof will come when they finally release the game. I honestly think DICE have severely damaged both their own credibility and reputation as a studio and the Battlefield brand as a whole when they released BF4 in the state they did. Part of me even feels like they shouldn't even be allowed to work on a franchise that's so highly revered as Star Wars, because of they fuck it up there will be hell to pay, they've already managed to squander and piss away years of fan goodwill with BF4 disaster why trust them with Star Wars ?

Just remember folks, this is coming from the same people who released BF4... Think about that for a second. Don't get hyped and for Christ's sake don't pre-order Battlefront

Gothos

The only problem I can see is the fact, that because of the move this game will out this year, no matter if it's ready for that or not. Let's hope it will be :)

BokehKing

Banned
I'm fine with them trying to pitch this to the Battlefield crowd. But if it comes out and feels like a Battlefield product I'll be disappointed.
What do you mean 'feel like a battlefield game'

Like... How dare they make each class actually do something besides firing bullets?

This is gonna sell huuuge.

personally, without the original developers, the battlefront name and the star wars brand do nothing for me.

Jigorath

Banned
I've already accepted that this is probably going to be Battlefield 4 with a Star Wars skin. I'm sure it'll still be fun and as long as it doesn't have any online issues at launch I'll pick it up.

Sawneeks

Banned
It's probably going to happen but I hope we can play as the new Stormtroopers. Love those helmets.

Also please keep Instant Action mode for offline with bots. It's all I ever played in Battlefront 1 and 2 besides Galactic Conquest.

Have you played the game Dice is making? How do you know it wont be what you want it to be?

because it is a decade later and it's made by an entirely different development team with different goals.

Pretending there aren't going to be quite a few changes is more than a little naiive.

Enilced2

I sincerely hope DICE has actually learned from their mistakes and the magnitude of their failure with BF4. Although I am excited for the new movie and a new Battlefront game I have no faith in them to deliver a complete, functional and stable game after the BF4 fiasco. I don't expect perfection but the sheer quantity and severity of bugs and glitches in combination with the fact that it took them the better part of a year to fix the game was absolutely unacceptable. The worst part is it's not the first time they've released a broken mess, the BF3 launch was pretty bad too. They need to break this cycle of releasing broken games, pushing out DLC then releasing patches that don't fix things, make them worse or introduce new bugs. It has to stop. Marketing can talk the talk all they want but the real proof will come when they finally release the game. I honestly think DICE have severely damaged both their own credibility and reputation as a studio and the Battlefield brand as a whole when they released BF4 in the state they did. Part of me even feels like they shouldn't even be allowed to work on a franchise that's so highly revered as Star Wars, because of they fuck it up there will be hell to pay, they've already managed to squander and piss away years of fan goodwill with BF4 disaster why trust them with Star Wars ?

Just remember folks, this is coming from the same people who released BF4... Think about that for a second. Don't get hyped and for Christ's sake don't pre-order Battlefront

BF4 was a misstep and honestly it's probably difficult getting your game out on five platforms under high pressure deadlines. But same engine they've learned a lot, BF4 is fixed, EA willingly delayed Hardline. I don't see another fiasco I see a company who learns from mistakes. Pre Ordered and ready to buy Battlefront Premium

I don't know, doesn't Sony have the history with the Battlefront franchise?

Would be a huge "get" for MS though.

Odd, I thought the console Battlefront games were tied a bit to the Xbox, though there was the PSP Battlefront game.

Honestly, the only marketing thing I can recall from then were the console sticker decals for the PS2 and Xbox from preordering the game at EB/Babbages.

Edit: May have been Battlefront skewed towards Sony, BF2 towards Microsoft now that I think back.
Hoping the game is polished by E3 and they're just tying loose ends and fixing bugs afterwards.

in essence we mean with all the shoehorned nonsense that BF entails.

ADS, attachments, loadouts ect. Battlefront 1 and 2 are pretty well balanced in my book and adding superfluous things may make things harder to balance

What's wrong with ADS? This isn't a movement-based arena shooter to where it will mess up the pacing. I can agree with the rest though. Would just want to see preset classes with possible cosmetic options.

Top Bottom