• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Star Wars: Battlefront will recieve a Battlefield-sized marketing push

JNA

Banned
If you think about it, it makes silly sense.

Game comes with Episode 7.

Then EA starts releasing "episodic" DLC.

Episode 1.
Episode 2.
Episode 3.
Episode 4.
Episode 5.
Episode 6.

Milk it to oblivion.

giphy.gif

I don't want to just play as some random soldier. I wanna design the look of my character and change between first and third person at will. I am more interested in having cosmetic unlocks than some Call of Duty guns unlock system, but it would be nice to have a loadout system that lets you customize how you play, thus allowing you to do different things.

SpaceHorror

Just have fucking bots.

I know DICE have been making excuses about bots in the recent Battlefield games (and with BF4 and all its issues at launch it was probably for the best), but no bots in Battlefront will really rub me the wrong way.

Don't fuck this up, DICE. That's all the marketing I need.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
It will definitely play better than the first 2 games, whose basic mechanics were not very good.

And hopefully they get rid of the heroes or at least not make them stupidly overpowered.

VinFTW

Just have fucking bots.

I know DICE have been making excuses about bots in the recent Battlefield games (and with BF4 and all its issues at launch it was probably for the best), but no bots in Battlefront will really rub me the wrong way.

Don't fuck this up, DICE. That's all the marketing I need.

Bots were always a huge part of Battlefront, I think people would be upset if they weren't there, despite the current age of multiplayer we're living in.

Maybe in 'realistic' (lol) shooters. Battlefront doesn't need them. Actually, most shooters don't need them.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 had both. You could ADS (or its third-person equivalent) and sprint in SWBF2.

Are people being purposefully obtuse about what they can realistically expect with DICEfront? Did most of you not play Star Wars Battlefront 2 online? I expect and want a tweaked "reskinned" Battlefield because that is what the original games were.

Cube

Did most of you not play Star Wars Battlefront 2 online?.

I think it is safe to say that most people didn't play BF2 online. Anecdotal, but nobody I know has ever mentioned it, though they played the hell out of local.

Cornbread78

Should've got the PS2 version then. We had an active community right up until GameSpy went down.

All I nkow is my gaming clan was founded during the BF days on PS2 and is still active today. Everyone has been dormant the past couple years since Resitance 3's online tanked, but a revival of the 501st Elite will be in full order for BFIII this fall. I missed out on the PS2 stuff, so I'm pretty psyched about this...

I'm hoping it feels very different to BF3/4, and more like BFBC2. I find that BF3/4 don't seem to feel like your character has any weight, and the way everything in the world interacts with each other feels really flimsy, like you could clip through the geometry at any moment. I never felt any of that in BFBC2, the whole world felt very solid. To me the Frostbite engine has regressed in that sense rather than improved. I'm hoping Battlefront will see DICE get it back on track.

What are the chances that online works day 1? Or even week 1?

I'd say Hardline will be the best indicator when it launches in six weeks.

With the Frostbite engine now under over a year of refinement and testing and three major releases (BF4, Dragon Age:I, and Hardline) I don't see any reason why Battlefront shouldn't have a smooth release.

No buy if the game doesn't have bots. They've been a staple of the franchise and really add to the scale of the battles. 32 vs 32 battlefront with no bots? Nope.

I'd say they're not that stupid, but it wouldn't shock me.

All I nkow is my gaming clan was founded during the BF days on PS2 and is still active today. Everyone has been dormant the past couple years since Resitance 3's online tanked, but a revival of the 501st Elite will be in full order for BFIII this fall. I missed out on the PS2 stuff, so I'm pretty psyched about this...
Was your clan a European or North American SWBF clan? I don't remember seeing a 501st Elite at Sonic Army, Warzone-Online, or The Battlefront Community.

PSOreo

As a massive Star Wars fan I know I'm going to buy this game regardless if its "just a reskin". I obviously hope its more than that but I have faith in DICE in terms of them knowing they have a massive opportunity here. If its as detailed and stable as we all hope then this will sell bucket loads. Might even be the first game I'd consider shelling out for DLC since Red Dead Redemption.

Yup. And Podracing DLC.

I hate the prequels but I'd be hyped as hell to play a Podracing section. If they nailed that it could be incredible.

Will there be a Battlefront Premium to ruin that game as well?

Of course.

Did most of you not play Star Wars Battlefront 2 online? I expect and want a tweaked "reskinned" Battlefield because that is what the original games were.

Not when it originally came out since I played on PS2 and didn't have the broadband adapter, but I played online years later when I got it on Steam.

I mean, yeah, you're right it is very similar to Battlefield, but I don't want it to employ a lot of what the new Battlefields have. That would be tons of attachments for weapons and vehicles, perks, leveling/xp system, etc. I don't want any of that in Battlefront.

I'm already not buying EA games on day one.

I'm making an exception for this.

Don't you fucking burn me on this EA or we're for reals through and done and not seeing each other any more.

Top Bottom