• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Titanfall is a franchise that'll "be around for a long, long time"

Between different series that'll run on annual or bi-annual releases, how many AAA shooter IPs can the market simultaneously support until they start cannibalizing themselves on sales?

I'd like to see this stay Microsoft (not just Xbone people) exclusive. Microsoft has shit tons of money to throw at Respawn and/or EA, and why shouldn't they? If this game is a huge hit, and if they can appease Respawn monetarily, I say do it. Thats not going to make Sony fans happy, but there are many Xbox fans that are upset that Naughty Dog wont go out on their own and make a multi platform game. It is what it is. If everyone is making money, everyone wins.

Except Respawn ARE a multiplatform studio, or at least they intended to be until EA stepped in. Naughty Dog wont go out on their own becase Sony actually owns them. Titanfall is a game that was planned for multiple versions and was moneyhatted. Its beleived that PS4 code for TF already exists too but EA interrupted that.

Its not the same at all. MS bought the rights to a built game rather than funding the creation of it. As a gamer I would expect you to be against this sort of practice as it actively reduces the amount of games you have to choose from.

Except Respawn ARE a multiplatform studio, or at least they intended to be until EA stepped in. Naughty Dog wont go out on their own becase Sony actually owns them. Titanfall is a game that was planned for multiple versions and was moneyhatted. Its beleived that PS4 code for TF already exists too but EA interrupted that.

Its not the same at all. MS bought the rights to a built game rather than funding the creation of it. As a gamer I would expect you to be against this sort of practice as it actively reduces the amount of games you have to choose from.

Ok you are correct..... to clarify, id like to see Microsoft BUY Respawn and keep it exclusive.

As for your last comment, thats a good point. However, isnt that how the industry is though? Isn't that why we have exclusives? I can see it being kind of shitty for MS to buy an existing studio/franchise but its business. Until Sony and MS form a single company to makebthe best possible games for ALL gamers, this is the way it is.

Ok you are correct..... to clarify, id like to see Microsoft BUY Respawn and keep it exclusive.

As for your last comment, thats a good point. However, isnt that how the industry is though? Isn't that why we have exclusives? I can see it being kind of shitty for MS to buy an existing studio/franchise but its business. Until Sony and MS form a single company to makebthe best possible games for ALL gamers, this is the way it is.

How come?

In the case of third party exlcusives such as past Final Fantasy titles relationship with Sony etc there's usually one of two elements at play. Either the platform best supports their vision and could be seen as the best option to deliver the experience, otherwise its money which is when its typically not great for the consumer. In the case of first party studios the upkeep of the studio and creation of content comes directly from the affiliated owner financially. Basically its a game that would likely have not been created otherwise.

Fanboyism? Why else would someone want MS/Sony to purchase a studio. They do not want the game on the other platform.

Pretty much. I havent purchased an Xbone or PS4 yet, but I like exclusives. This being on Xbox only franchise would make me more likely to buy an Xbox One over a PS4. Dont people buy a Playstation to play their exclusives? I'm leaning towards getting an Xbox One soon, and maybe a PS4 down the road. Why wouldn't I want a game that I play on my console of choice to be exclusive?

And yes, I understand that buying a studio is not all that ethical, but like I said, thats business. If (hypothetically) Respawn is comfortable with MS and the amount of compensation for their studio, who are we to judge?

pompidu

respawn is not for sale. with their track record and pedigree they dont need a watchful eye. they want to avoid the same trappings that happened at Activision.

Madness

Not with the way EA runs things. Already they've been screwed over with EA making TitanFall 1 a forever exclusive for Xbox One and not PS4. I imagine the millions of PS4 owners would have bought it day one if it came out. And Vince didn't even know EA did itm

And yes, I understand that buying a studio is not all that ethical, but like I said, thats business. If (hypothetically) Respawn is comfortable with MS and the amount of compensation for their studio, who are we to judge?

Actually Vince didn't know about the deal so how is that comfortable?

respawn is not for sale. with their track record and pedigree they dont need a watchful eye. they want to avoid the same trappings that happened at Activision.

Everything is for sale, it is just about price.

That maybe true, but it didn't stop them from walking into an exclusivity deal with MS for Titanfall. Something they supposedly did not know about and/or had no control over?

Zornack

Pretty much. I havent purchased an Xbone or PS4 yet, but I like exclusives. This being on Xbox only franchise would make me more likely to buy an Xbox One over a PS4. Dont people buy a Playstation to play their exclusives? I'm leaning towards getting an Xbox One soon, and maybe a PS4 down the road. Why wouldn't I want a game that I play on my console of choice to be exclusive?

How does Titanfall being on another platform make it less enjoyable for you on an Xbox?

Can someone ELI5, how exactly did Vince/Respawn not know nor have any control over this exclusivity deal and how does this suddenly change going forward.

Because it doesn't have to be for you to fully enjoy it on the console of your choice.

Unless your full enjoyment specifically involves lording it over people who bought the other consoles.

Then again I ask, why are there exclusive games? What's the point of having competitive gaming systems? If every console had the same specs and the same games then what's the point? If MS/Sony feels the need to buy up the rights to a game so that the other company can't have it, I call that good business strategy.

That kind of confidence EA had when they relaunched NBA Live and look where it got them. EA needs to wait to be cocky until after their games sell well.

David___

Banned
Can someone ELI5, how exactly did Vince/Respawn not know nor have any control over this exclusivity deal and how does this suddenly change going forward.

EA has the publishing rights, so they call what console gets it. This changes if the Xbone is still trailing behind the PS4 when TF 2 comes around. Remember, the only reason why this game was a exclusive in the first place was because EA picked MS leading the gen from the get-go.

This doesn't make sense. Wouldn't you want others to enjoy it?
He probably doesn't want the inferior console version. Xbone version can't be inferior if the PS4 version doesn't exist.

This doesn't make sense. Wouldn't you want others to enjoy it?

Zornack

Then again I ask, why are there exclusive games? What's the point of having competitive gaming systems? If every console had the same specs and the same games then what's the point? If MS/Sony feels the need to buy up the rights to a game so that the other company can't have it, I call that good business strategy.

This isn't about why console holders want exclusives, it's about why you want a game to be exclusive.

Does the knowledge that other people can't enjoy a game you are enjoying really bring you satisfaction?

Dryk

4) Zampella leaves, starts new studio, takes everyone with him.
5) EA hires new developers to work on Titanfall under Respawn name.
6) Zampella signs his new studio with a publisher that's just as bad
7) Goto 1)

You're supposed to care about the games not the share prices. More people being able to play good games is not a bad thing.

Exclusive games exist since the company owns that ip therefore it cant go elsewhere. Titanfall is not an ip that MS owns. It's up to MS to have their own ips and not rely on other companies ip's. Also you realize the company has to agree to sell the ip right? For example if Epic wanted they could have said no to MS and stay with Gears.

Two scenarios where exclusives are a good thing imho:

1. The game would not exist otherwise, as in nobody else would fund it or help to see it through. Something like Bayonetta 2 would go here, right?
2. The game is a killer app for platform exclusive features. Something truly "better with Kinect" or that would seem nonsensical without the PS4 touchpad, or that makes the best use of the Wii U gamepad, whatever. Not gimmicks mind you, but actual killer app stuff. And no, I can't think of any good examples of these at the moment ;P

Besides that, no, I don't care one way or another if all of the games I'm playing on the PS4 also exist on the Xbone, and not just for the reasons above. Better performance, better controller, no app paywalls, etc could make the difference between buying games for one console over another.

EA has the publishing rights, so they call what console gets it. This changes if the Xbone is still trailing behind the PS4 when TF 2 comes around. Remember, the only reason why this game was a exclusive in the first place was because EA picked MS leading the gen from the get-go.

Sorry, my post was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I was in a roundabout way arguing against the idea that somehow Vince/Respawn did not somehow land in the exact same situation which birthed their company. They left IW/Activision due to creative control (or so I thought) and they landed right back in the same mess. We are supposed to believe that just because Vince/Respawn wills it TF2 will land on PS4.

It is distinctly possible that MS moneyhats this franchise, assuming it sells well. Unless of course this isn't possible, hence the ELI5.

Let me further elaborate. Vince/Respawn had no control over TF exclusivity, right? EA made the decision. So what changes going forward? Vince/Respawn still have no control, EA can theoretically sell TF exclusivity to MS, correct?

David___

Banned
Sorry, my post was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I was in a roundabout way arguing against the idea that somehow Vince/Respawn did not somehow land in the exact same situation which birthed their company. They left IW/Activision due to creative control (or so I thought) and they landed right back in the same mess. We are supposed to believe that just because Vince/Respawn wills it TF2 will land on PS4.
When they said "Creative Control" I always took it as
1)They are the only ones that can develop it
2) They decide what goes into the game and what doesn't (ie EA can't pressure Respawn into putting in x,y,z.)

It is distinctly possible that MS moneyhats this franchise, assuming it sells well. Unless of course this isn't possible, hence the ELI5.
If this game does well
and I really hope it does
then the price of exclusivity will skyrocket.

You guys are all making good points. Maybe I just had a bad day. I don't know, I'm not explaining my point very well.

I get what you are saying, and I do not necessarily think there is anything wrong with it. You want to purchase an Xbox One, you want the console to succeed. So for you MS purchasing TF (assuming the game rocks) is a solid pathway to success. It is pro MS, it just also happens to be pretty shitty for gamers as a whole.

I get what you are saying, and I do not necessarily think there is anything wrong with it. You want to purchase an Xbox One, you want the console to succeed. So for you MS purchasing TF (assuming the game rocks) is a solid pathway to success. It is pro MS, it just also happens to be pretty shitty for gamers as a whole.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Cheers!

Awntawn

As a gamer, you want more games, not less. Buying up a third party title isn't adding an exclusive, it's taking away a multiplatform game.

Think of it this way. A 1st party ground up title funded by MS or Sony is like creating a reservoir in the middle of a desert.

Buying up exclusives would be like buying up an oasis that's already there to make sure everyone needs to go through you to get water from it.

The end result may appear to be the same; you're paying a company for water in the desert. However, in the grand scheme of things, essentially in one case water is being given to people who otherwise would not have had access to it, whereas in the other water is being taken away from people who otherwise would have.

Mrbob

TitanFall is the worst kind of exclusive there is. EA took money from MS on a planned multi platform game to keep it off PS4 and PS3. If MS bought Respawn that would be a dark day. I needs my PC version and I don't trust MS to do so.

Wouldn't mind if TitanFall 2 is far away form both EA and MS. Heck, even Activision is a better option than EA. At least the PC version would be Steamworks.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
I am just SHOCKED that EA and former Call of Duty devs are going to milk the fuck out of their new FPS.

raphanum

I knew there were fanboys out there, but this is just overwhelming.

DocSeuss

TitanFall is the worst kind of exclusive there is. EA took money from MS on a planned multi platform game to keep it off PS4 and PS3. If MS bought Respawn that would be a dark day. I needs my PC version and I don't trust MS to do so.

Wouldn't mind if TitanFall 2 is far away form both EA and MS. Heck, even Activision is a better option than EA. At least the PC version would be Steamworks.

No, the worst kind of exclusive there is is a multi-platform game that has part of its content split off for one platform. It's like "hey, you, screw you guys, you don't get the full version of the game, the true version of the game, on your platform! You get the gimped version!"

I knew there were fanboys out there, but this is just overwhelming.

Overwhelming is death threats for criticizing Naughty Dog games, not, "I like exclusives, and an exclusive would make me buy one console over another. Why wouldn't I want exclusives to stay exclusive?"

TitanFall is the worst kind of exclusive there is. EA took money from MS on a planned multi platform game to keep it off PS4 and PS3.

I think this is what burns the most. It goes to show you that EA could not care about the industry or gamers, they only care about EA.

Mrbob

No, the worst kind of exclusive there is is a multi-platform game that has part of its content split off for one platform. It's like "hey, you, screw you guys, you don't get the full version of the game, the true version of the game, on your platform! You get the gimped version!"

Like Metal Gear Solid 5? Those exclusive missions will be trash. Typically the "exclusive game play content" are meaningless. Better to have the game than not have it at all.

DocSeuss

Rethinking the post I originally responded to, there's this weird anti-Microsoft undercurrent to your post. The whole "oh, it'd be a dark day if MS bought Respawn," and, well, maybe they'd kill the PC version. But, come on, educate yourself: these guys just got done with a huge legal battle with Activision about freedom. Why on Earth would they go selling themselves to someone so fast? To posit that MS would buy Respawn seems more like "I wanna hate on MS" than actually making any realistic projections of the situation; it feels more like FUD than anything else.

But yeah, I mean, this is why these big companies are kinda bad for PC gamers. Sony, for instance, took the former PC game "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture" and made it Sony only. Nintendo's killed any multi-platform chances for Bayonetta 2 (though most would argue that Bayo 2 was never happening without Nintendo, and, well, yeah; people tend not to buy crappy, poorly-marketed games).

Like Metal Gear Solid 5? Those exclusive missions will be trash. Typically the "exclusive game play" is meaningless. Better to have the game than not have it at all.

Thief, Assassin's Creed, etc.

Doesn't matter if they're trash.

It's the complete experience.

DrSlek

You enjoy games being held hostage on a single platform?

Why on Earth!?

You enjoy games being held hostage on a single platform?

Why on Earth!?

He/she explained the reasoning pretty clearly. If you really favor one console over the other and you want it to do well then exclusivity makes sense. It is understandable, albeit pretty damned selfish.

He/she explained the reasoning pretty clearly. If you really favor one console over the other and you want it to do well then exclusivity makes sense. It is understandable, albeit pretty damned selfish.

MS will be fine without Titanfall. Also blame it on MS that they don't make their own studios and use the 3rd party stragedy. No one else is to blame. EA has their own bottom line to worry about.

MS will be fine without Titanfall. Also blame it on MS that they don't make their own studios and use the 3rd party stragedy. No one else is to blame. EA has their own bottom line to worry about.

They could certainly benefit from one or two more studios, Black Tusk was a good start but are now handed Gears. I don't want another gen of recycled ip.

Top Bottom