• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 coming to PC via Steam on July 18

bede-x

I see many talking about seeing this running at a stable framerate/smoothly/60fps, but I seriously doubt it'll be possible to attain a stable 60fps at 1080p. Do recall that the PS4 version could hit 0fps with the right weapons in the larger battles - it will litterally pause while it does the calculations - and a sustained sub-5fps is easily attainable if you use the right weapons in the wrong places. I made this a few minutes ago to illustrate exactly how easily you can make the PS4 version run 2-3fps at prolonged periods of time:

http://youtu.be/D5hexpN-Ko0

I don't complete the stage because that takes forever at that framerate. The point being that while I would love to see this at 60fps without any drops ever, that might not be possible regardless of how powerful a PC you own. I'd love to be proven wrong though :)

Fuck yes, great to see this and Onechanbara come to PC. Maybe EDF will finally have a stable framerate.

Edit
Awesome to see it retains a splitscreen option.

Xbudz

I bought the Xbox 360 version of this when the PS4 version was released.
I'll buy this updated version on Steam in an instant.

Mivey

PS4 version still better tbh
Playing EDF at a stable frame rate wouldn't feel right
Assuming that a Japanese devs first PC port will have smooth framerates (on most machines within the decade of release) is a bit naive at this point. Not impossible, but certainly nothing I would just expect.

bede-x

Assuming that a Japanese devs first PC port will have smooth framerates (on most machines within the decade of release) is a bit naive at this point. Not impossible, but certainly nothing I would just expect.

They could have done dozens of ports previously and still expecting this to run smoothly (as in 1080p/60fps) without any drops is unreasonable. Great if it does, but we are talking about a game that could hit 0fps on PS4 and which you can easily make run at sub-5 fps for minutes on end.

Expecting the PC version to somehow completely remedy this is probably a tad unrealistic. That doesn't neccessarily mean it's a bad port.

bede-x

Is 2017 Portable for Vita any good?

Oh yes. In some ways better than the 360 original with more features and in some ways a little worse with less impressive graphics. The only bad/mediocre EDF games are Insect Armageddon, the PSP version of two and maybe the tactics game on PS2, depending on expectations. The rest are golden.

Eila

Why in the world would the price on PS4 now, 8 months after its release, have any bearing on its PC release, that's nonsense.

Onechanbara Z2: Chaos is 39.99 on Steam in the U.S. at the moment, isthereanydeal.com has its lowest price on Steam at 27.99.

It's way too much dude. If you are into PC gaming you'll notice most devs that make late ports include some shit like the DLC or at a least try to price the game nicely. Let's see how many people will buy the game at that price. So far for Onechanbara it's 11,305 ± 2,678.
I'll wait until a good sale for both.

ss_23972c79f40ffcd277bc12b7b7de0d336311cc14.1920x1080.jpg

Haha.

Looking forward to more EDF. Really hope the mouse controls are solid.

Arjac

Insect Armageddon was created by a western developer rather than Sandlot and isn't numbered. EDF 2017 is the third game, EDF 2025 is the fourth game, and this version, EDF 4.1, is essentially an improved version of EDF 2025.

I personally enjoyed Insect Armageddon, but a lot of Gaffers don't share my opinion. It was a departure in several ways, namely fewer enemies on screen (probably to improve frame rate), they were bullet sponges, fewer levels, less weapon variety, etc. So basically the whole gameplay loop was pretty different even if the gameplay itself was solid.

Regardless, if you've never played an EDF game 4.1 is probably the best choice.

my main beef with insect armaggedon is how sudden and unsatisfying the ending feels

Dinjoralo

So... We having an OT for this? I'm thinking of picking this up, but since my hubbie's currently occupied with Monster Hunter, I'd like to know how many people here are buying this.

The Orz

So... We having an OT for this? I'm thinking of picking this up, but since my hubbie's currently occupied with Monster Hunter, I'd like to know how many people here are buying this.

I'm buying this. I'm buying this so hard--I keep refreshing the Steam page hoping I can pre-order. And to see if the 30% off promo is true :)

So many lazy Sundays spent with close friends and EDF 2017...can't wait!

I'm playing this on PS4 at the moment. It is legitimately one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played. You guys who haven't played it yet are in for one heck of a treat.

Airan

Wait wait,

there are frame drops still on the PS4 version???

God. Damn. I want to examine their engine code. I wonder if they'll fare better if they move to UE4?

well, yeah, but its still the best framerate I've ever seen in the series, wierd as it is to say, its not really a major issue for the game.

The much improved performance over the PS3 version is of course a plus, but really, the highly improved load times were what really made the game worth buying again for me. The load times being so vastly improved made it so experimenting with different loadouts was now a pleasure instead of a chore.

Anyways, I'll probably buy this again at some point. Its already my most played PS4 game. Anybody who's not been able to enjoy the series up til now really don't have an excuse anymore. Making this wonderful game more accessible is a great thing.

bede-x

I'm playing this on PS4 at the moment. It is legitimately one of the most enjoyable games I have every played. You guys who haven't played it yet are in for one heck of a treat.

I've spent more than 1000 hours on this across 360/PS3/PS4 and I still enjoy it more than any other modern shooter. It's so good. The different classes and many weapons means you can keep finding new strategies and playstyles, almost regardless of how long you play it, especially if you don't just grind through it, though that can be fun too.

I'd recommend it to everyone.

Theonik

Wait wait,

God. Damn. I want to examine their engine code. I wonder if they'll fare better if they move to UE4?
You need to remember that these games have a lot going on even though they don't look 'great'. They are also targeting 60fps, maintaining framerate in these situations is quite hard and these are also fairly low budget games.

Xbudz

8PM tonight?! That's ridiculous.
So I guess I won't get to sink my teeth into the game until tomorrow. :(

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The usual Steam game release time is 10 AM PST, which is in two hours.

EDIT: oops, reading comprehension fail. So 8 PM tonight? Got it, it would be because they're in Japan and will be morning in Japan there when they release it.

I love me some EDF, but when are they going to make a new one? This one is essentially 3 years old. I already put 100+ hours in it as 2025 on the 360 so I don't think I'll be playing this one again, but a new one? I'll be there day one.... they just need to do it!

Airan

You need to remember that these games have a lot going on even though they don't look 'great'. They are also targeting 60fps, maintaining framerate in these situations is quite hard and these are also fairly low budget games.

Low budget does not absolve it of shit performance concerns. I just find it intriguing they didn't dedicate any resources towards optimizing their engine (assuming it's one engine) after all these years. I think they're riding too hard on the "crappy-framerate" gimmick. Hoping the PC version will run well because I'd definitely appreciate a 60fps version of these games.

Wait wait,

The PS4 version isn't a simple upscale. It has way more enemies and NPCs on screen at once, as well as additional effects. I'm sure they're no programming gods, but Sandlot's always going to push the game as far as they can on fixed hardware.

Top Bottom