• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 coming to PC via Steam on July 18

Mechazawa

So is this just gonna be the official OT? I'm pretty ok with that.

"Woah shit, EDF is coming out how soon?"

*1 page later*

"So how 'bout that EDF."

Dizzy

Banned
Oh wow. Please be a good port.

Can't really justify buying it since I already own it on PS4, but if the online works better I'd grab it. Disconnects were all too common in the PS4 version.

Mechazawa

There's are options for the game to go above 1080, but it just seems to render the game in a tiny window and the rest of the screen is black lmao.

Don't know if it's a bug or intentional:

20160718220216_1i2k8p.jpg

Just to be safe, can someone verify controller support?

Yeah, it's got controller support. Also: Hey Savory! Long time no see.

Mechazawa

Also: No 144hz support. Hopefully someone'll find some weird .ini setting to uncap that or something.

Probably not though since I think the game actually goes into slow-mo when the framerate drops on PS4 so the speed of the game is probably tied to the engine.

Seems like it supports 21:9 for those of you into that.

Mouse can't be used in menus I guess but in game aiming is supposed to be good.

Xbudz

UI seems to be linked to Windows font scaling and it totally out of whack because my desktop is 4k.

Dinjoralo

Some initial impressions: Game's running fine on the first mission. Very few graphics options. Keyboard and mouse controls work and are fully rebindable for each individual mode in the game. There is text chat. Also, the thing with higher resolutions being black only happens with a specific setting enabled that letterboxes the game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Early Port report:

- Internal Resolution is locked at 1080p in missions, though oddly in the options screen (which has a 3d model) downsampling seems to work.
- Framerate is locked to 60. So far I haven't had it drop a single frame, even when shit is going completely bananas.
- Anti-aliasing like downsampling only seems to work in the options screen, in game it's super jaggy.
- Mouse and keyboard controls are great, no mouse acceleration of any kind.

Llyranor

If the port is good, I'm onboard
Also: No 144hz support. Hopefully someone'll find some weird .ini setting to uncap that or something.

Probably not though since I think the game actually goes into slow-mo when the framerate drops on PS4 so the speed of the game is probably tied to the engine.
Does it run 60fps at least?

EDIT:
- Framerate is locked to 60. So far I haven't had it drop a single frame, even when shit is going completely bananas.
Oh, sounds good! I have low standards when it comes to ports, but I at least insist on a solid 60fps

Iced

I'm noticing a lot of flickering in the buildings in the background.

Also, they couldn't even be arsed to change the date on the title screen.

"You'll use a mouse and keyboard." And you'll fucking like it.

bede-x

Early Port report:

Sounds promising. What kind of system are you on?

Out of curiosity would you say the same about Fencer? Will be interesting to see how he plays with keyboard/mouse.

Early Port report:

- Internal Resolution is locked at 1080p in missions, though oddly in the options screen (which has a 3d model) downsampling seems to work.
- Anti-aliasing like downsampling only seems to work in the options screen, in game it's super jaggy.

What are your specs? Would help put your performance into perspective.

i7 4770k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce 980

Merci.

Buburibon

Early Port report:

That's unfortunate that the game does not seem to actually render at 4K. Thanks for your input!

Dinjoralo

Argh, the game doesn't want to remember the resolution I'm putting in... Whatever. So far, I'm satisfied, though my GTX 970 might not indicate everyone else's performance.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
That's unfortunate that the game does not seem to actually render at 4K. Thanks for your input!
I pixel counted and it looks native to me (steps = pixel height). The IQ is still not great though. The game is in dire need of injected AA. Can another pixel counter confirm?

Dinjoralo

I pixel counted and it looks native to me (steps = pixel height). The IQ is still not great though. The game is in dire need of injected AA. Can another pixel counter confirm?
Yeah, that's totally native 4k. It could use some better AA, though, the stuff you can enable in the options doesn't seem to work in-game.

Buburibon

Yeah, that's totally native 4k. It could use some better AA, though, the stuff you can enable in the options doesn't seem to work in-game.

Sounds good. Looking at GPU load at 1080p vs. 4K should also help confirm it. :)

The Orz

Oh my...Sandlot EDF at a constant 60 FPS is a surreal experience.

I'm also having the font scaling issues. Anyone have any ideas?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Doomage's look horrifying as well. Look at the trees, the sides of the buildings, the... well everything.

It's definitely not native.

Top Bottom