• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 coming to PC via Steam on July 18

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I was able to inject some AA with reshade which helped quite a bit.

It's DX11 so GeDoSaTo is a no go.

Buburibon

Doomage's looks native. Everyone else looks upscaled. Mechwaza's pic is horrifying.

Quoting a user named Kite on Steam forums. That looks like proper downsampling to me.

Kite said:
I think I understand why 4k is not working for some people. My desktop is at 4k, however I turned on DSR 4x to get 8k resolution. I noticed I could set 8k in the game settings, however when I started the game it loaded at 4k. I got around this by setting my desktop resolution to 8k then the game would start up as 8k.

So If you're trying to downsample using DSR first set your desktop resolution to the resolution you want the game to play at and set that resolution in the game.

Here's a sample screenshot of 8k. Imgur downsampled it to 6k, however you will be able to see the details.
0y4BQy7.jpg

Sinatar

Quoting a user named Kite on Steam forums. That looks like proper downsampling to me.

Interesting. So as a test I tried setting my desktop resolution to 4k and then it actually seemed to be working in game. So it's got that classic unity engine issue (though it's not unity) where it won't go past your desktop resolution.

Ozium

played 10 missions as the wing diver and it was 60fps the entire time even with tons of particle/lighting effects, buildings getting destroyed and many enemies getting shot in multiple pieces while I hovered above them...

runs great and is buttery smooth so far

I'm using a controller but I tried Keyboard and Mouse and they are decent, though I would rather be more inclined to use them if they had some sliders for sensitivity and what not

specs are i7-6700k, 16gb ram, R9 390

Ferrio

Banned
Couple crashes for me,and frames go to crap when hell breaks loose and I'm on a 970. Also can't hear voice chat over the in game screaming, doesn't seem to have separate volume controls.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Tried 2 missions before work and very happy with the port so far, it's got a few quirks (related to what folks are saying) but it runs like a dream and I'm honestly surprised at how good the m/kb controls are so far, for soldier at least. The price on the UK store for anyone interested is £29.99 usually and £20.99 right now for the first week off. Honestly that's not a bad price at all, for comparisons sake it was just under £20 in the recent PSN sale.

Anyone tried online yet ? It work ok ?

Pigge

Neo Member
The one thing that bugs me the most atm is that there is no borderless fullscreen support, and even 3rd party tools dont seem to work, the game goes all wonky after an alt-tab.

closer013

played 10 missions as the wing diver and it was 60fps the entire time even with tons of particle/lighting effects, buildings getting destroyed and many enemies getting shot in multiple pieces while I hovered above them...

runs great and is buttery smooth so far

I'm using a controller but I tried Keyboard and Mouse and they are decent, though I would rather be more inclined to use them if they had some sliders for sensitivity and what not

specs are i7-6700k, 16gb ram, R9 390

EDF with stable framerate? BLASPHEMY!

BTA

Glad to hear it's good! I haven't gotten very far at all in my PS4 copy so I'm not too inclined to double dip, but I hope it reaches more people on Steam.

Durante

There's one screenshot in this thread which is very clearly native 4k (DooMAGE's). The others aren't. I don't get it.

Edit: ah, the classic Unity issue. Well that's nice, means you can do actual downsampling!

eastx

Could somebody please make and post some 1080p or above screenshots showing a variety of environments and characters? A shot of the kaiju would be awesome too.

Reviewing the game but I can't run it at a resolution that would look good in screenshots.

Ferrio

Banned
Okay game working fine now I think. Don't think it was dropped frames, but I swear stuff slows down when there's artillery going off etc.

That said, first time playing EDF.

1st game: What the hell is this game.
last game: EDF! EDF!

Port is a little dodgy in a lot of minor areas -- the font is especially horrific -- but the important stuff seems perfectly acceptable. Framerate is excellent, practically a locked 60. After four hours of play (most of that online co-op) there's been no obvious, unexpected bugs. This is my first time with the .1 revision, and I have to say that moniker doesn't do the changes justice, at least on PC. The new lighting is especially nice, and filling out missions with more allies and enemies really amps up the action. Maybe performance will collapse later on, but the opening dozen or so missions on Hard are basically Forza-quality framerate.

My only complaints are existing issues with the root game. There really needed to be some sort of shooting range or at least visual footage of each weapon in action, I hate that online co-op skips cutscenes, and while it would have been very difficult with all of the people talking over each other I'm sad there's no real effort at subtitles. (The English voices are fun, but the Japanese voices have a distinct charm of their own too.) I also wish there was an easier way to jump start new classes. Maybe if unused classes got a small percentage of your armor pick-ups and a very rare weapon drop or something.

But this is an awesome game made even better. Easy to recommend!

Now just to figure out downsampling...

Oh hey! =)
Hello!

Airan

There's one screenshot in this thread which is very clearly native 4k (DooMAGE's). The others aren't. I don't get it.

Edit: ah, the classic Unity issue. Well that's nice, means you can do actual downsampling!

...it's using Unity?! What's this issue you speak of?

Durante

...it's using Unity?! What's this issue you speak of?
It's not using Unity as far as I am aware. What I was referring to as a "classic Unity issue" is an implementation problem where a game limits its internal rendering resolution to the desktop resolution for some reason. For such games, you need to downsample your desktop in order to downsample the game. (GeDoSaTo has a workaround for DX9 games)

Anyway, it's not a huge issue to change your desktop resolution, and at least this means you can downsample without problems!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Before I purchase this, does it have local co-op like the console versions?

It does indeed. I just recorded mission 1 using an xbox one controller for P1 and xbox 360 controller for P2. I'll post it here when it's done uploading. The video itself is nothing special, just to show it off :)

Mohasus

Changing the desktop resolution did nothing to me.

Game still seems to be locked to 1080p. When letterbox is on, then the game is a tiny window with black bars.

The overlay was tiny @5k (4x 1440p), but the jaggies were really visible.

:O Totally forgot this was in the SteamDB leak! I've never played EDF before (except for that other one that got a PC port that wasn't very good) but I've heard tons of good stuff about its multiplayer, is it fun as a single player game? Is the PC version getting an OT?

Sinatar

:O Totally forgot this was in the SteamDB leak! I've never played EDF before (except for that other one that got a PC port that wasn't very good) but I've heard tons of good stuff about its multiplayer, is it fun as a single player game?

Yea it's a riot. It can be very compulsive trying to clear all the difficulties and accumulate all the insane weaponry.

Jamesac68

Banned
It's kind of surreal seeing an Earth Defense Force game sitting at the #1 position on a Top Sellers list. There's some decent competition there too in the form of I Am Setsuna and RimWorld, although if No Man's Sky was actually out rather than in preorder I doubt EDF would have stood a chance at the top spot. It probably won't be there long but it's fun to see while it lasts.

Krakn3Dfx

I have 100+ hours into the PS4 version (probably double that into 2017 on the 360), didn't think twice about grabbing this a little while ago when I saw that it was live on Steam. Can't wait to get home and play it, one of my very favorite series of all time. The self-aware goofiness in an MST3K-like environment mixed with legitimately fun coop has always been a huge draw for me. Amazingly underrated series (well, maybe except for Insect Armageddon).

low-G

Yeah I decided to pick this one up. $35 is a good price. I own it on 360 and LOVED it there, but the performance was terrible sometimes. Will be nice to play smoothly.

Top Bottom