• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's on a roll!: New PvZ 2 update

I feel sorry for children and younger people that this is their opening to the video game world. They'll grow up thinking that they have to pay to win games. We had a good run guys.

Minsc

Gold Member
I have yet to play a game that offers microtransactions, and I hope it stays that way.

This is actually pretty impressive given the increasing number of modern games (even full priced games on consoles and handhelds now sport them) that use microtransactions, especially if you count DLC as microtransactions.

Still, it's not something to brag about really imo. Some games they make perfect sense, like Hearthstone. Fun game, microtransactions for card packs / a drafting ticket, makes a lot of sense in a TCG/CCG. Pretty much all the popular F2P games use them. DOTA2, Path of Exile, TF2, etc. The list is probably in the 1,000s, if not 10,000s.

But even traditional RPGs such as Bravely Default are seeing microtransactions show up in them, and afaik, not playing Bravely Default is not something to brag about.

While I'm certainly mixed on this, the loss of lawnmowers is not like them locking out gameplay modes or anything.

As for the "bribes"? Companies have been doing that since social media was invented. Complaining that you need to use social media to get something you were never gonna use in the first place (or can get by simply putting up with making a post) is lame. You don't need to do it.

Here on GAF there's a group of people with fake (and real, like me, big mistake) Facebook accounts that has certainly come in handy with Marvel Puzzle Quest. They may be useful for getting these "bribes" taken care of.

IISANDERII

I thought that the worst thing about Titanfall is that it isn't coming to PS4 so I won't get to play it but I'm beginning to think that it being EA published is worse because it will affect all future games in the series.
I don't think it'll be as bad as PvsZ2 or Dungeon Keeper but I'm sure EA will try their best to do something to fuck everybody over badly.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I was really liking PvZ2 until I basically hit a wall a few hours in and lost interest. It's sad because I played the entirety of PvZ1 over a single weekend. If I wasn't expecting the worst, I would have been shocked by the amount of keys required to unlock a new world, and the difficulty of acquiring them without spending any money. It just goes to show that microtransactions, even when they're "optional", can completely destroy the pacing of a game.

I know that the whole key system has been removed since then, but it's far from the only aspect of PvZ2 that was tainted by the F2P structure. I'm too soured to return to it, especially in light of this news. Sure, it's a free game and I didn't lose anything by trying it out, but it's pretty depressing to see a beloved series by a beloved developer corrupted by greed and short-sightedness. A proper sequel could have been something special.

I'm just worried for the future of PopCap. At least Peggle 2 gives me some hope.

Holy shit, EA. Absolutely pathetic.

And that's pretty much why I've come to the conclusion that all their claims of wanting to keep from becoming the worst company AGAIN, is merely lip service, if you can milk your customer base and make absurd amounts of money in the process, whats some negative award in the grand scheme of things?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I feel bad for the devs at EA now.

I imagine it's now one big room full of talented devs shaking their heads while some fuckhead up top is pitching these ideas and congratulating himself for being brilliant.

Summoner

probably a lifetime achievement award so that they don't win every year.
They might as well name (Worst Company of the Year Award) the EA award. Have them retired from winning it from now on....but have their current CEO come out every year to present it to future winners.

E92 M3

It's a shame that the medium budget experiences are pretty scarce now. It feels to me like most of the games being released are either mobile shovelware or AAA experiences. Neither of which really suit my tastes....

There are tons of great indie games out there. I recommend Rogue Legacy -- such a fantastic game.

GhaleonEB

My god. I honestly didn't think they could fuck up the game any further, but the Dungeon Keeper team stepped up their game.

I have around 100k coins, can't recall how that happened, something to do with playing through the first one or something. I haven't spent a dime on this one. I blew through the first iteration of 2 barely using any coins so they just accumulated. I didn't lose a lawnmower on zoom boss so didn't notice the bs change to the lawnmower. Truly a bs change. I can't believe how many changes they've made to this game, they should have just worked it into pvz3, the current game is nothing like it was on release. I have no idea why I'm bothering with the piñata partiesparticulalry since they are worthless costumes. Still waiting for the final world, guessing that will be extra taxing on the coins. And why no additional modes like 1. Befuddling.

69065-Snatch-WTF-reaction-gif-85Ne.gif

Is this real? This isn't real. Wait. Is it real?!

100,000 @ £20.99 - 1:4764
150,000 @ £27.99 - 1:5359
200.000 @ £34.99 - 1:5715
450,000 @ £92.08 - 1:4887 (listed as "Best Deal")

Surely there is a law against openly lying to your customers.

But EA isn't lying...when they said "Best Deal" they meant "Best Deal for EA."

A more apt comparison would be paying for a continue in a rogue/like, and even that's taking it much further.

Terrible comparison. PvZ is a strategy game, and part of strategy games is coming up with a new strategy once an old strategy has failed, but a failed strategy should not cost you money. The original PvZ games featured very effective (probably too effective, borderline broken) strategies that involved intentionally losing a lawn mower or two. PvZ2 took these strategies away, making it so that losing a lawnmower was a fail state for many of the levels. Fine, so it's harder and the cost of failure is restarting a level. Now you can lose the lawnmowers again, but you have to pay to get them back. The cost of failure is now tied to real money. Players have fewer and fewer options to play a strategy game without paying for the privilege. It's not a sensible decision to keep changing the rules of a strategy game when it's so easy to just uninstall.

hawkinson

Neo Member
This is weird and sad. Their last update for pvz 2 was great, it was far more approachable than the launch version. Then they add it back in worse ways.

Deadstar

PVZ is awesome but I won't give 1 cent to EA for it. Would rather pay $20 and get the full game without all this respawn coin garbage.

Did you forget Command & Conquer? It's a cycle that always repeats.

EA really is a cancer. Command and Conquer was so good....

Tygamr

Wow. That's lame.

Are they ever going to bring it to anything other than mobile? I swear they said they were going to, but it had limited time exclusivity on iOS.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow. That's lame.

Are they ever going to bring it to anything other than mobile? I swear they said they were going to, but it had limited time exclusivity on iOS.

They definitely were clear about bringing it to other platforms after the initial release on iOS (and later, Android) but we haven't heard anything since launch. I'm still holding on to hope that they'll build a proper PvZ2 from the ground up. Peggle 2 is the most recent non-mobile PopCap game and it's premium and free of microtransactions.

Fox Mulder

And that's pretty much why I've come to the conclusion that all their claims of wanting to keep from becoming the worst company AGAIN, is merely lip service, if you can milk your customer base and make absurd amounts of money in the process, whats some negative award in the grand scheme of things?

they don't give a shit, as they've actually become worse after winning that award twice.

Dueck

Banned
EA's decided to stop the "we're not the worst company in America" statement and just take ownership of the votes they receive.

It's absolutely amazing to me how badly EA has fucked this game over with their greed. PvZ 2 should never have been free to play, and almost all the problems this game has can be traced back to that decision. What a shame.

Amir0x

Banned
Remember when Peter Moore was all "we listened to customers, online passes were the wrong way, we continue to look for ways to monetize our products without insulting our fans."

Welcome to phase 2 guys!

Colby

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but it also costs coins to restart a level, or at least it does on the Party Pinata levels. I liked to restart levels a lot and try out new combos to start out a level, but now that's not possible. I was flabbergasted when I saw that.

So, they released the game, patched it to make the enemies much harder and basically require coin spending, and patched it again to make players spend coins on ridiculous things. Sadly, EA will make insane amounts of cash from this game. I guess if you can get rich being shady as hell, more power to you.

Nome

Terrible comparison. PvZ is a strategy game, and part of strategy games is coming up with a new strategy once an old strategy has failed, but a failed strategy should not cost you money. The original PvZ games featured very effective (probably too effective, borderline broken) strategies that involved intentionally losing a lawn mower or two. PvZ2 took these strategies away, making it so that losing a lawnmower was a fail state for many of the levels. Fine, so it's harder and the cost of failure is restarting a level. Now you can lose the lawnmowers again, but you have to pay to get them back. The cost of failure is now tied to real money. Players have fewer and fewer options to play a strategy game without paying for the privilege. It's not a sensible decision to keep changing the rules of a strategy game when it's so easy to just uninstall.
Incorrect, and I think you know that you're pushing it.
A failed strategy does not cost you money. You are not charged when you fail a level in PvZ2. Even by your definitions, the cost here is in additional strategies, which is just like every other mobile or non-mobile game that charges for gameplay content.

inky

One day you guys will learn to stop supporting this trash company. That means ALL of their products, not just mobile shit.

But how will I know the next Dragon Age will suck? I have to know so I can let you all know in here! Nah, I'm kidding. I'm done with them. Heck, Mass Effect 3 was really me just not being able to let go, because I love the first one and I had to see it through, but before that I was pretty much done with EA.

Looking at what they are doing now it is just repulsive: Sim City, PvZ, this... they are not getting $1 from me ever again. I know people will bend over and get Titanfall and will give them another chance with Battlefield because it is so fun!, and will get FIFA because PES just sucks now, and will get Madden too because there's no other NFL game! and will get Mirror's Edge 2 because they loved the first one (so just this once they'll make and exception), and will continue playing Simpsons Tapped Out because "it's not this bad, I swear!", and will continue playing PvZ 2 but they won't be buying coins, so just for free! and will get Star Wars Battlefront, because it is a good Star Wars game again guys, if it was anything else they'd pass, but it is Star Wars!

Me, I'm fucking done.

UberTag

I don't understand how people can keep giving their money to these cretins. I'm convinced it must be some sort of Stockholm syndrome by now.
At this point I'd feel that my money was better spent by funding a terrorist organization of some sort. Or the NRA. Those aren't the same thing, right?

Nokterian

Remember when Peter Moore was all "we listened to customers, online passes were the wrong way, we continue to look for ways to monetize our products without insulting our fans."

Welcome to phase 2 guys!

Engage..engage i said engage! It's like spaceballs going to ludicrous speed.

It's this kind of stuff that makes me wary of buying Garden Warfare. The game looks great and I want to support Pop Cap for trying something new but there's always EA hanging over it.

On the bright side, it seems like Titanfall has escaped a lot of EA's dirty tactics. I'm not sure the DLC will be so lucky though.

But how will I know the next Dragon Age will suck? I have to know so I can let you all know in here! Nah, I'm kidding. I'm done with them. Heck, Mass Effect 3 was really me just not being able to let go, because I love the first one and I had to see it through, but before that I was pretty much done with EA.

Looking at what they are doing now it is just repulsive: Sim City, PvZ, this... they are not getting $1 from me ever again. I know people will bend over and get Titanfall and will give them another chance with Battlefield because it is so fun!, and will get FIFA because PES just sucks now, and will get Madden too because there's no other NFL game! and will get Mirror's Edge 2 because they loved the first one (so just this once they'll make and exception), and will continue playing Simpsons Tapped Out because "it's not this bad, I swear!", and will continue playing PvZ 2 but they won't be buying coins, so just for free! and will get Star Wars Battlefront, because it is a good Star Wars game again guys, if it was anything else they'd pass, but it is Star Wars!

Me, I'm fucking done.
I'm with you, friend.

I've had great sadness in my heart after Disney licensed all Star Wars video game properties for development to EA, but I will not bend.

Incorrect, and I think you know that you're pushing it.
A failed strategy does not cost you money. You are not charged when you fail a level in PvZ2.

You're right the cost of failure now is 2000 coins, acquired by either:

1) Grinding out a bunch of levels you've already beaten to re-earn
or
2) Annoying your Facebook friends about a mobile game you've played
or
3) Paying cash

Much better!

Nome

You're right the cost of failure now is 2000 coins, acquired by either:

1) Grinding out a bunch of levels you've already beaten to re-earn
or
2) Annoying your Facebook friends about a mobile game you've played
or
3) Paying cash

Much better!
Yes, use sarcasm when logic fails.

Ahasverus

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but it also costs coins to restart a level, or at least it does on the Party Pinata levels. I liked to restart levels a lot and try out new combos to start out a level, but now that's not possible. I was flabbergasted when I saw that.

So, they released the game, patched it to make the enemies much harder and basically require coin spending, and patched it again to make players spend coins on ridiculous things. Sadly, EA will make insane amounts of cash from this game. I guess if you can get rich being shady as hell, more power to you.

no_michael_bluth.gif

Yagharek

Welcome to phase 2 guys!

Peter Moore is a pathological marketer. Things break, remember.

This isn't the first time EA has destroyed a perfectly great thing with microtransactions. Look at what they did to Dead Space.

Welcome to phase 2 guys!

I'm still a firm believer that they only ever dropped the online pass because they thought that MS was protecting their games for them. Also, by locking people out of their games with online passes that only cost a one-time fee of $5-$10, they were preventing people from accessing their microtransaction mills.

Mike M

Nick N
This isn't the first time EA has destroyed a perfectly great thing with microtransactions. Look at what they did to Dead Space.
Nothing Dead Space 3 did wrong had anything to do with micro-transactions, I had more loot than I knew what to do with in that game.

inky

Also, by locking people out of their games with online passes that only cost a one-time fee of $5-$10, they were preventing people from accessing their microtransaction mills.

This shit is super obvious. They dropped a $10 requirement for used online multiplayer when they added $5 random stuff boxes and shit to their games. It's the same reason PvZ 2 doesn't cost $15... why give the game away for that when you can sucker some fools into giving you $100+ for the privilege.

Sciz

It is remarkable that no one at EA seems to know what to do with PvZ or what made it great in the first place.

Well when they go and lay off the designer the day after announcing the sequel, it doesn't come as a surprise. Presumably George Fan was opposed to what EA wanted it to become. It'd be nice to hear his take on it all.

Top Bottom