• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

East Bay jogger kills 15-pound pug with a kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

East Bay jogger kills 15-pound pug with a kick

920x920.jpg
Just before 10 a.m. Saturday, Stephanie Lisi, a 53-year-old nurse, was walking with two of the diminutive dogs as she cut through Kensington Hilltop Elementary School at the end of a hike on a nearby trail, she said.

Against regulations, neither of the dogs was on a leash, said Sgt. Rickey Hull, a police spokesman, though Lisi said she was trying to put one of the dogs on a leash when the incident occurred.

A man, presumably out for a morning jog, came quickly around the corner of the building running in the opposite direction of the dog owner. One the dogs ran toward the man, he told police, and he kicked the dog to get away from it.

“The dog fell over and died,” Hull said.

Lisi says otherwise, however. According to her, the 15-pound 2-year-old dog named Mei Fun was returning to her when the man went out of his way to kick it.

“She was running on his left. I called her and she was coming back to me when he kicked her and she just dropped,” Lisi said. “He could have just kept running.”

The man went to the front of the school to find someone with a cell phone and called police, Hull said, but there are conflicting statements from both parties as to how hard the dog was kicked.

No one else was present when the incident occurred and neither party was identified by police.

“He told police he just tapped her,” Lisi said. “But he needs to be held accountable for his actions.”

The dog was taken to a veterinarian for cremation, but no necropsy was performed.

The case was being forwarded to the Contra Costa County district attorney’s office for further review, Hull said.

poor puppy. What an asshole!!

What an asshole. "Just a tap," sure man. It's the equivalent of having a 25-foot tall giant who weighs 1,000 lbs come up and "tap" him in the chest with a kick. I'm sure the man would handle that just fine :/

15 lb dogs can't take legit abuse like that. I'm sure the man probably kicked the dog fairly hard.

commedieu

Banned
It would be quite hard to not totally destroy someone where they stood if they kicked my fucking pup. Wonder if you'd be on the right side of the law for doing so.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
let's just say I find this kind of behaviour so infuriating I wouldn't stop at incarcerating his ass for a long time. If it happened to my dog I would throw a fucking bench at him

smurfx

get some go again
It would be quite hard to not totally destroy someone where they stood if they kicked my fucking pup. Wonder if you'd be on the right side of the law for doing so.
the jogger might not be held liable because the dog didn't have a leash. if it was the same situation then you would probably be the one arrested if you assaulted the jogger.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Reading this headline made me well up with tears. I would've lost my fucking mind if someone did this to me.

jett

D-Member
That's terrible, but that's why my dog is always on a leash when I take him outside, you don't know what kind of crazies you can encounter, either canine or human.

Tagyhag

Seems like a "he said" "she said" clusterfuck and a poor pug was caught in the middle.

Please folks, put your dogs on a leash unless you're on a park for no leashes.

R1CHO

Leash.

I know a pug it's not in theory a very menacing animal, but you never know the way it's going to react, or other dog, or a person passing by.

If you want your dog and everyone else to be safe, use a leash, before going for a walk.

I've kicked a small dog whilst jogging. It came after me, ran under my feet and got punted about five yards. It's owner was outside. I didn't stop.. It was ok and still chases me, but now at a distance.

This is why dogs should be on a fucking leash.

Dude is an asshole for kicking a tiny non threat of a dog. He damn well knows it wasn't a tap.

And I say that as someone that hates his neighbors two tiny loud dogs that try to bite me when they run out. But they too small and short to reach past my shoes. Hence I don't need to defend myself.

Arcteryx

Whew, glad it wasn't my dog or I'd be on my way to prison for "just a tap".
I always keep my dog on a leash *shrug*

IronRinn

Dogs should have been on a leash for sure, but that dude is also a monumental dick for kicking a 15 pound dog. Fuck you, dude.

TomShoe

Banned
I have to be the only one in this thread to sympathize with the guy.

Killing the dog is bad, but in public, keep that thing on a leash. QT3.14 puppies become a lot less cute when they're sinking their teeth into your leg. You can never be too careful.

Mmm I'd need more details. On the surface it sounds like a gross overreaction by the jogger, but dogs need to be on a leash, period.

This is a huge problem on a hiking/biking trail by my house.

I'm not even sure a pug bite could legitimately break skin, even IF it had gotten to the guy and managed to wrap its pop-eyed idiot skull around an ankle.

These are ambulatory fart-pillows. Why the fuck would you ever even think to kick one?

Reminds me of a story I read on reddit:
True story: About 10 years ago I was out walking my dog, a beautiful black lab named Ed. He was well trained so I would usually let him run free and he always stayed near me or within earshot. Really well behaved, loved everybody and was just an all around great dog. Anyway this dad and his little son (I use the term "Dad" loosely as he was about 19 if that and looked like a typical whitetrash douchebag) were standing at the entrace of this baseball diamond and as Ed runs by the little kid kicks him, pretty hard but not enough to really hurt him or anything. At this point I'm like 50 or so yards back and they haven't noticed me. Ed darts in to the diamond then turns to come back out to me.

Now I see the Dad kind of motioning to his son the "proper" way to kick my dog, so as Eddie runs back out the Dad just boots him as hard as he can in the gut and bursts out laughing with his dumbass kid. Ed yelps and puts his tail between his legs and runs over to me.

Now at this point all I can see is red and before I know it I am straight charging at this motherfucker, like full on linebacker. He turns around I guess cause he heard me coming just in time for me to spear the shit out of him. I mean I full on Goldberg speared that asshole. His shoe came off and I'm now on top of him while his son looks absolutely terrified. I pull back and crack that motherfucker right in the jaw. Hard. Very hard. And I pull back to do it again when I remember the little shithead kid is watching all this. So, I compose myself enough to say "The only fucking reason you have any teeth left is because I don't want your son to see what I would do to you. For your sake, don't let me ever see you again."

Now motherfucker father is bleeding heavily from his mouth and I couldn't make out what he was saying but I heard "please" and "mgmgmmhmh son..please". So I get off of him and look at the terrified kid and say "If you ever hurt another animal, I will know and I will find you."

After that Ed and I walked off and had a lovely walk.

Mesoian

While I think this guy is reprehensible and should have the book thrown at him, I don't understand the mindset of these dog owners who are letting their pets run around off leashes. Between the coyotes, the unstable ground and other people walking their dogs, it's just asking for trouble. A friend of mine watched someone's shitzu basically get mauled by a playful Shiba Inu in the Sausalito hills because they thought it would be a good idea to let their dogs run around off leash because it's an open area and "surely I must be the only ones here, right?"

Keep your dogs on their leash people, geeze.

Assault. Lovely.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
He kicked a 15lb dog so hard it died? What the what??? Why would he even kick it? Why not just keep running? I don't understand!

SummitAve

Banned
Who the fuck kicks a little dog. Pathetic. You don't deserve to be outdoors if this is a response that can be triggered from you.

TheGrue

It's a shame he kicked the dog and killed it. It's also a shame dog owners aren't more responsible. I run quite a bit and I can't tell you the number of times people just let their dogs come run at me. Hell, even when they're on leashes, they don't actually control their dogs and give them too much leash so they can still get at me. I've never been bitten, thankfully, but I did have one dog that wasn't on a leash (a big one, too) jump up on my and lightly nip me (I think it was being playful). Still, when you don't know the dog, it can be concerning. I love dogs, so I'm pretty calm when they come at me, but people really need to be better about this.

Assault. Lovely.

If someone hurts a member of my family in my FOV you'd better believe assault follows, I don't give a fuck. Welcome to planet Earth, mammals do that here. That's the one thing that breaks my mind and sends me straight into WELL FUCK YOU THEN mode

Maximus.

Wow horrible :/ I don't understand what's wrong with people :/

Random note: I hate when people without dogs enter a dog park or an off leash area if they fear or don't know how to handle dogs. So many parents bring little kids or kids that scare/taunt dogs.

jett

D-Member
Shitty owner; shitty dude.

Poor dog.

I almost want to give the shitty dude the benefit of the doubt, because shitty dog owners justify their shit, dumbfuck decisions in every way they can. I'm more willing to believe a guy got startled by a random dog running at him and reacted instinctively than that he went out of his way to kick a pug, which is what the owner claims.

Maybe I've just had way too many experiences with imbecilic dipshits that don't have their dogs on a leash.

I have to be the only one in this thread to sympathize with the guy.

Killing the dog is bad, but in public, keep that thing on a leash. QT3.14 puppies become a lot less cute when they're sinking their teeth into your leg. You can never be too careful.

I'm not gonna pounce on you for your view but some perspective is needed:

That size dog poses no threat whatsoever to an adult.

Hence the kick isn't justified.

Sydle

Poor dog. : (

The jogger and owner are equally responsible for what happened. He overreacted and she should have had her animals on leashes.

Why wasn't it on a leash?

probably because it's a pug.

although honestly, considering how fucking dumb they are in general, how do you not leash your pug if you're out walking it? It's GOING to do something stupid as shit. It's a pug. At least keep it tethered to you to stop it from hurting itself.

And let's not stray from the specifics here and just generalize about "little dogs" - this is specifically about a pug. Not a chihuahua, or a pomeranian, or an italian greyhound, or a scottie or whatever. This was specifically about a jogger spotting a PUG coming at him (likely not at a particularly high rate of speed, either, because PUG) and going out of his way to kick the dog to death.

Mesoian

If someone hurts a member of my family in my FOV you'd better believe assault follows, I don't give a fuck. That's the one thing that breaks my mind and sends me straight into WELL FUCK YOU THEN mode

Real talk, he's lucky he never saw that guy again. That's 3 years, regardless of the kick he gave the dog.

riotous

Banned
I almost want to give the shitty dude the benefit of the doubt, because shitty dog owners justify their shit, dumbfuck decisions in every way they can. I'm more willing to believe a guy got startled by a random dog running at him and reacted instinctively than that he went out of his way to kick a pug.

Maybe I've just had way too many experience with imbecilic dipshits that don't have their dogs on a leash.

Yeah possible. If you are jogging/running and the dog comes at you from the wrong angle.. an attempt to "Tap" them may end up with a lot of force.

Considering the guy stopped and called the police himself, it lends even more credibility to the idea that they didn't do it on purpose.

Whereas the owner is blatantly admitting to violating laws that exist to keep your pets safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom