• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

East Bay jogger kills 15-pound pug with a kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
He kicked a 15lb dog so hard it died? What the what??? Why would he even kick it? Why not just keep running? I don't understand!

Some people don't have empathy for animals. They show no respect to animals at all. PETA and various organizations get slack, but I'm sure they are doing a good thing rather someone thinks they're crazy or not. I've just recently joined PETA. I believe what they're fighting for is right.

commedieu

Banned
Why are people assuming that everyone knows pugs are harmless?

I certainly wouldn't. I'm pretty uncomfortable around any dogs.

My first instinct when startled by something at my feet is to try and scoot it away, sometimes with light kicks. The dude could have stumbled or tripped and gotten seriously injured. I think some people have the picture in their head of the dude getting angry and punting the dog like a football, but it probably wasn't like that. He says it was a light tap to try and shoo it, and knowing I'd probably do the same, I'm inclined to believe him.

WATCH OUT!!

tumblr_my2zldROZS1t8iy1po1_250.gif

Because it's pretty well known in general?

It's a pig-looking little thing with a monkey face.

Has it been said anywhere whether or not the jogger in question has said he suffers from some sort of dog-phobia? People have been bringing up personal stories of how they developed their phobias regarding dogs, but we don't really know if that's even in play with this story.
I am not sure most people know off hand the temperaments of various dog breeds out there. If anything, people associate more aggressive behavior with smaller dogs.

I'm going to be honest, the thread title had me stifling my laughter a little...

The real scenario is, of course, tragic. Why anyone would go out of their way to do that is beyond me. Also, "tap"... yeah right.

Because it's pretty well known in general?

It's a pig-looking little thing with a monkey face.

Has it been said anywhere whether or not the jogger in question has said he suffers from some sort of dog-phobia?

Hamsters are little rodents with cute faces people keep as pets and can take chunks out of your fingers, down to bone.

Honestly, what do you think the more likely scenario is?

The dude is minding his business, the dog gets loose, runs to him, he gets startled with this thing at his feet, he tries to shoo it away, puts a little too much strength into it, and the dog dies. He goes out his way to call the police and make sure the situation is handled.

The guy sees the dog running at him. His deep hatred of dogs makes him stop and punt the dog like a football. He goes and calls the police because he wants to make sure they know he loves kicking dogs.

I understand people like their dogs. But come on.

Also, keep in mind, according to the owner who didn't have her damn Pug leashed (seriously - how you just gonna let your dumbass pig-dog thing just snurfle around and get into any old thing) the kick occurred as the pug was running BACK to the owner, AWAY from the jogger.

So you have the jogger who says he gave the pug a light kick as it was approaching him, just to shoo it away, whereupon it just fell over and died. And you have the owner, who says the jogger went out of his way to kick the pug as it was on its way back to the owner after being called.

Hamsters are little rodents with cute faces

Hamsters aren't pugs. Most people know not to stick their finger in a hamster cage. Most people know that pugs are just dumb bug-eyed slobber machines full of fart and snort.

And again - jogger just killed the dog with one kick, in a public area. It's not like he can just... keep running. Someone's going to call someone regardless. Might as well be him. A lot of people would follow that train of thought.

Übermatik;157576936 said:
I'm going to be honest, the thread title had me stifling my laughter a little...

The real scenario is, of course, tragic. Why anyone would go out of their way to do that is beyond me. Also, "tap"... yeah right.

Again, no one knows if he went out of his way or if it got kicked by running into his legs at a decent stride.

People get startled by bugs, and the immediate reaction is to kill them. What threats do those things pose?

You don't know how people are going to react. The moral of the story is keep your pets on a leash, it's for their own protection.

Shifty analogy. Society doesn't give a fuck if someone swats a fly. We tend to place a higher value on life for pets.

You're right that we never know how someone will react but that doesn't justify killed a non-threat of a dog.

I'd take the joggers word over the ladies. Its very easy to be startled and he probably kicked it by reflex. Just cuz pugs are small doesn't make it any less startling, probably makes it more so, anke biters are the worst. I'd probably react better if I was suprise rushed by a retriever over a pug.

I blame the owner 100%, keep your fucking pet leashes ffs, poor innocent dog.

Abounder

Banned
If the dog has a collar then the jogger will probably face legal consequences. Even without a leash you're not allowed to destroy or damage someone's property like a dog (unless you're in danger and I doubt the jogger has much of a case of being in danger of a pug), but it does depend on local law.

Hopefully justice is served for the pug's sake. It did not deserve to die, and that is mostly on the jogger.

Foggy

I can understand kicking a pug-sized animal out of instinct, especially if it's being aggressive, but if things played out like she said it did...what the fuck, dude?

I have to be the only one in this thread to sympathize with the guy.

Killing the dog is bad, but in public, keep that thing on a leash. QT3.14 puppies become a lot less cute when they're sinking their teeth into your leg. You can never be too careful.

I won't argue that dogs need to stay on leashes, but the response should match the threat. A pug's mouth is so tiny and awkward it's almost a hypothetical. You'd stand to get more damage from a hand squeezing your arm with an oven mitt.

You should defend yourself if some stranger comes running up to you but would you use the same force you would on a toddler that can barely walk as you would a potential mugger?

To defend yourself from a pug you would need force enough to slide a book on a table, while the even better response would be to walk around the meatloaf with nubby legs that could never catch up.

Why are people assuming that everyone knows pugs are harmless?

Just look at them. They were essentially bred to be living plush dolls.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Did you really have to punt it? You could have just picked it up.

Sounds like he didn't realize the dog was under him, and the dog got kicked because he was running. I think you're interpreting it as he purposely saw, and kicked the dog while running.

Loofy

I had a pug bite me when I was getting the mail. Small teeth but it went right through my jeans and I had some bleeding. A week later I was getting the mail again and the same pug was rushing at me(guess he gets his walks at the same time I get the mail). I was prepared this time and I was getting ready for a football kick but last second the owner called him.
That said I know most dogs just like pouncing on people, kicking wouldnt be my first reaction.

I also have a pug and if someone did that to her, I would, no joke, end him right there on the spot.

However I always walk her with a leash.

I am not sure most people know off hand the temperaments of various dog breeds out there.

But I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people out there who know the temperament of pugs.

The question being did he not recognize what this fuzzy little thing coming at him was before he kicked it? Which goes straight to whether he gave it a tap that caused it to keel over as it was coming at him, or whether it was already on the way back to the owner before he went out of his way to boot it. You can claim you didn't see what it was in the first, but you can't really do that in the second.

We don't know if the jogger had a fear of dogs, or if he didn't recognize that it was a pug.

Did you really have to punt it? You could have just picked it up.

I didn't punt it. It punted itself. I changed nothing. If I had tripped up, it would have been the dogs fault.

If you run head on into a large turbine and get tossed/chopped all to hell, is it your fault or the turbine's?

Calamari41

41 > 38
If you really think of your dog as a member of the family, put them on their fucking leash. I've watched five dogs get hit by cars near my house because their "mommies" knew that they were super well trained and would never get distracted and run into the street.

The dogs scream like humans as they slowly die.

Use the leash.

Foggy

If you really think of your dog as a member of the family, put them on their fucking leash. I've watched five dogs get hit by cars near my house because their "mommies" knew that they were super well trained and would never get distracted and run into the street.

Use the leash.

Seriously. I sympathize with losing a loved one, but show some respect and love for the animal and protect itself from itself. Or in this case, possibly a dickhead.

MikeyB

The only dog I've been bitten by was a small dog, but the damn thing latched onto me and was hanging off of my leg, with its teeth lodged deep in my calf.

The dog didn't deserve a kick in any case.

I'd prefer to break a limb tripping over a dog that intentionally harm it. Take the owner to court though.

ElRenoRaven

Use the leash.

I think we can all agree on that. I see so many idiots here walking with their dogs off a leash and i just want to stop and grab them and yell are you a fucking moron?

If the owner actually cared for their little dog's safety then a leash would have been on it. You keep small dogs on leashes, so that they wont get hurt. You keep larger dogs on leashes, so that people wont get hurt. Some owners need to take responsibility for their property.

I'm split. I'm both a dog owner/lover and a runner. It is pretty scary when dogs chase you barking when out running. But a little pug?

And it was just a kick, it is not like the person shot the dog.

The runner probably did over react but I don't think they should be prosecuted. If your dog chases after people, you need to know that and not let them off the leash.

Tetra-9

Both parties in this story suck. The dog is the only one I can feel bad for.

Sometimes dog owners don't seem to realize how scary their dogs are, no matter what size they are. As a delivery driver almost half of the houses I go to have dogs and only 2 houses I've been to have had well-behaved dogs where I didnt sense some sort of threat. It's also troubling how many people choose to bring up pets even if they can't afford to have someone train them or take the time to properly do it themselves.

Roo

Who the fuck kicks a little dog. Pathetic. You don't deserve to be outdoors if this is a response that can be triggered from you.

It literally can happen to anyone.
We don't know if the dog was barking and such.
Dude didn't know how agressive the dog was so his first reaction was to kick it to keep it away from him.

imo, the pug owner is the one to blame. She didn't use the leash.
It's not like the runner meant to kill the dog.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
That guy is an asshole if that is how it played out. Even with my dog, who is always on leash except in off leash parks, I am wary about some people. There's a lady with a cane near our building that always cocks it like she'll clobber any dog that comes near her. Scary stuff. Now for my dog story that ties with similarly with the OP..

Walking around a park while out with my dog (about 44lbs), a small dog (15lbs, maybe?) was off leash and came charging up to us. This happens quite a bit, aggressive small dog off leash, in a place where you are required to have your dog on leash. I always hold my dog at my side and if small dogs, even those being super aggressive, he's pretty calm. Most dogs keep their distance at a few feet and just snarl and bark their heads off before the owner can come leash them.

This time though, the dog comes all the way in and starts trying to bite my dog. So I have to let up on the leash so my dog can maneuver and I'm trying to keep the dog way with my foot, pushing him away and he's basically under my dog trying his damndest to take a bite. The owner is about 15 meters away with another dog (on leash), taking her time getting there. While playing footies with this dog, there's a opening so I give the dog a good boot. I didn't kick it super hard as I didn't want to hurt it, but enough to get it to back off my dog.

The owner predictably flips out and their vantage point is 'It's just a small dog, what harm could it do?'. Well, my dog had been bitten twice in the past and little dogs can take a good chunk out, even if the end result would not end up being life threatening. I felt very bad about having to do that to a dog, but I would have felt much worse if my dog had been bitten again because of a stupid dog owner.

edit: Lots of people saying 'it's only a pug!' seems to be why so many small dog owners seem okay with having their dogs off leash all the time, regardless of their temperament, recall, or laws.

Ray Wonder

If anyone ever hurt one of my dogs I would fucking beat them to a bloody pulp.

What if it was your fault that it happened, and the person who harmed your dog did it by accident?

There's two sides to every story. This story doesn't seem so clear cut.

andymcc

Banned
A friend of mine watched someone's shitzu basically get mauled by a playful Shiba Inu in the Sausalito hills because they thought it would be a good idea to let their dogs run around off leash because it's an open area and "surely I must be the only ones here, right?"

hey this is like watching my dogs play!

but, yeah, shitty owner, shittier jogger. can't stand it when people let their dogs off the leash. it's annoying to take my dog on a walk and then some unleashed, huge dog charges at him while the owner just watches. not everyone knows how your dog is going to behave!

Syriel

A turbine has no agency. False equivalency.

As someone who grew up with little dogs, they can get underfoot easily. Even if you try to avoid them.

Out on a trail where a runner isn't expecting a small animal to come darting at him? Not exactly shocking that a dog that darts underfoot would end up getting kicked. A runner can't just stop mid stride.

Hari Seldon

Yeah if I was running and a dog came at me I would kick it. I'm not getting bit because their owner is a complete shithead.

BPoole

What if it was your fault that it happened, and the person who harmed your dog did it by accident?

There's two sides to every story. This story doesn't seem so clear cut.
What could a 15 pound pug possibly do to warrant getting kicked to death? If the owner did something, that is between the owner and the person. Harming the animal is in no way justified unless it is attacking you

This is why dogs should be on a fucking leash.

I am not defending him for kicking a little dog but as a runner I get chased by dogs all the time by loose dogs and you don't know which one is going to bite.

One time walking with my leashed dog a loose dog just attacked my dog out of nowhere and my dog was trapped as the leash wrapped around a stop sign. You can't stick your hand in there. Gave that dog a good kick as the only option. It was the stupid owner's fault that dog had to be kicked.

Ray Wonder

I'm pretty sure it was on purpose.

Well, I'm almost 100% you're wrong based off of what he said. Why would Bombasador bring up a story just to lie about it?

I didn't punt it. It punted itself. I changed nothing. If I had tripped up, it would have been the dogs fault.

If you run head on into a large turbine and get tossed/chopped all to hell, is it your fault or the turbine's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom