• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

El-Suave

I wonder if Keighley's E3 show will involve any of the Allies in panels or anything else? Will corporate Bosman make appearances during the proceedings or will Kyle have a new little show/segments? I kind of hope so because being associated with Geoff is never a bad thing and getting paid for a gig doesn't hurt either.

Ah unfortunately I'm in East Bay suburbia. Which I mean I could ride to the city and then down but that would probably add an hour to the trip.

Also since it sounds like you're going do you have to reserve a spot for the panel or is it just gonna be open to anyone with a badge?
Yeah, the best option for you would be to take Bart if you live in the East Bay. As for the panel, I believe it maybe open to anyone who has a badge, but I'm not so sure.

Bahorel

Posting this from the fanimecon website since this contradicts damianis info post:

" You want to attend the convention only on Saturday, May 27th. You may ONLY purchase a Saturday Only membership on Saturday, May 27th starting at 12:01 a.m. ONLINE. If you would like to purchase a membership AT the convention, then you can do so the day of at the appropriate time that registration is open. You MAY NOT purchase a single day badge on a different day. (i.e. You cannot purchase a Saturday Only, Sunday Only, or Monday Only badge on Friday"

So much for buying your badge early for Saturday. :/

Posting this from the fanimecon website since this contradicts damianis info post:

" You want to attend the convention only on Saturday, May 27th. You may ONLY purchase a Saturday Only membership on Saturday, May 27th starting at 12:01 a.m. ONLINE. If you would like to purchase a membership AT the convention, then you can do so the day of at the appropriate time that registration is open. You MAY NOT purchase a single day badge on a different day. (i.e. You cannot purchase a Saturday Only, Sunday Only, or Monday Only badge on Friday"

So much for buying your badge early for Saturday. :/
Damiani was stating to come in early in case of a line when purchasing your badges on site. If you're planning to buy it earlier than that, you'd be able to purchase it online through the website.

Auctopus

Just finished of Spectre of Torment. Damn, that was good. Some of the platforming sections were so tight (besides a couple auto-scrolls).

I hope it comes up in GOTY talks, probably not for the #1 spot but I hope it gets a fair shake.

Bahorel

Damiani was stating to come in early in case of a line when purchasing your badges on site. If you're planning to buy it earlier than that, you'd be able to purchase it online through the website.

Yes but you can only buy a multi-day badge early. This is what he said in the post "I would highly recommend that even if you are only getting a Saturday badge, you show up Friday to pick up your badge in advance," which you cannot do. Saturday Only can only be bought online starting midnight on Saturday morning.

I mean I suppose one could just spend more on a full weekend badge in order to get it early but that's not an ideal situation.

WarRock

I refuse to finish Specter of Torment until I climb that damn tower. And I keep failing at it.

Huber being genuinely offended that Kyle doesn't like orange juice is making me smile
I got offended too. Not eating pizza properly wasn't enough? Someone stop this man.

Axass

Just finished of Spectre of Torment. Damn, that was good. Some of the platforming sections were so tight (besides a couple auto-scrolls).

I hope it comes up in GOTY talks, probably not for the #1 spot but I hope it gets a fair shake.

Best campaign so far in Shovel Knight from a narrative standpoint, I really felt invested in Specter Knight's story by the end of the game. The game also manages to be a breath of fresh air after the first two campaigns, because it changes the basic structure, from retreading the same overworld, to a more Megaman-like stage choice, while also being a prequel and featuring vastly different levels from those of the first two parts. The gameplay is also my favourite take so far in the series: while Shovel Knight's controls are tight but unforgiving and Plague Knight's are kind of sloppy and less immediate to learn, Specter Knight controls like a charm, and it strikes the perfect balance between being challenging and frustrating. Moreover I appreciate that the levels are a tad shorter and toned down the collectathon that was Plague of Shadows.

dickroach

Best campaign so far in Shovel Knight

this is exactly why Spectre of Torment won't get a mention during GOTY. even though it is its own game, it feels just like another part of the 3 year old game Shovel Knight (y'know... in the zeitgeist).

Auctopus

this is exactly why Spectre of Torment won't get a mention during GOTY. even though it is its own game, it feels just like another part of the 3 year old game Shovel Knight (y'know... in the zeitgeist).

Hoping Ben and Kyle will mention it, they both seemed to enjoy it. The music remixes were excellent too.

If Jenean and Necator ride off into the sunset together don't worry... Brad can just be their new Frankenstein monster friend :p

Shovel Knight is the gift that keeps on giving.

Visceir

If Jenean and Necator ride off into the sunset together don't worry... Brad can just be their new Frankenstein monster friend :p

It'd be neat if they just had an arc where Necator and Youngalla would turn into two neutral/lawful good characters due to the all the stuff that has been happening before turning back to their evil ways again.

Also -- Birdcough and Ian's other character are far superior to their main dnd characters.

Ashtar

2 questions
1. I want to watch Fiasconauts for the first time should I start with the most recent one or superheroic fiasco nauts? I kind of want to do the one with Ian's dad.... mainly because I'm a doctor and Dr. Hinck may practice in my home land

2. How does reaction shots work, do I listen to the show first and then watch the audio commentary with the film?

Axass

2 questions
1. I want to watch Fiasconauts for the first time should I start with the most recent one or superheroic fiasco nauts? I kind of want to do the one with Ian's dad.... mainly because I'm a doctor and Dr. Hinck may practice in my home land

You're lucky, the last one is simply the best one so far (together with Camp Death), just go with that. You may go back to the superheroes one later, even though I found it a lil' underwhelming.

2 questions

2. How does reaction shots work, do I listen to the show first and then watch the audio commentary with the film?
Superhero one is one of the weakest (even though it still has its moments)

It gets mad incoherent at times

Start with the latest or the Halloween one

Prompto

Banned
I liked the superhero one :(

Brandon essentially playing Batman was hilarious. But yeah the Heist episode is better and indeed one of the best.

It's easier to pick least favorites lol

For me it's the zoo and the superhero ones (which are still great, don't want it to seem like I hate them)

Yes but you can only buy a multi-day badge early. This is what he said in the post "I would highly recommend that even if you are only getting a Saturday badge, you show up Friday to pick up your badge in advance," which you cannot do. Saturday Only can only be bought online starting midnight on Saturday morning.

I mean I suppose one could just spend more on a full weekend badge in order to get it early but that's not an ideal situation.
Yeah, he corrected himself in the post. The best option that is available at the moment if you are planning to just do Saturday is to just make the purchase online at 12:01 AM, and come in fairly early to pick up your badge.

Same here

The latest one might be #2

Zoo was my least favorite. It went way too zany. I like it when it's somewhat grounded
That's always the balance. Improv insanity is what makes it fun but you can go too far

Another recent example was the one with elevators going to China/the North pole/whatever and all that. It was a fun episode but it just went so insane that it gets confusing

Whereas stuff like Regina's is insane but it's mostly a straightforward plot carried by the character interactions

Tankard

Same here

The latest one might be #2

Zoo was my least favorite. It went way too zany. I like it when it's somewhat grounded

Yeah, i've come to understand i feel the same way about Fiasco, when it's a little bit more grounded i feel somewhat more invested in the story. They are all worth watching though.

ShadyK54

Yeah, i've come to understand i feel the same way about Fiasco, when it's a little bit more grounded i feel somewhat more invested in the story. They are all worth watching though.

Interesting people think this way. I'm one of the ones where the zanier it gets, the more entertaining it gets.

That's not to say I don't care about plot at all, it's just that the lack there of sometimes with Fiasco doesn't bother me as much.

Tankard

Interesting people think this way. I'm one of the ones where the zanier it gets, the more entertaining it gets.

That's not to say I don't care about plot at all, it's just that the lack there of sometimes with Fiasco doesn't bother me as much.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't bother me at all, but i realized the stories they keep a bit more constricted makes me not only focus on the comedy but the story too, and enjoy the characters even more.

arkon

2 questions

Each Fiasconauts episode is standalone. They create new characters and setups for each one. So you could pick and choose and you'd be fine. There's no need to watch them in any particular order.

I think, again, you can do it either way. The idea with the films they recommend at the end is they're supposed to touch on the stuff discussed in the current episode but also lead into the discussion of the next episode.

Axass

My personal ranking for Fiasconauts (from best to worst):

1 - Heist!
2 - Camp Death (it's pretty much tied for first)
3 - Rock Band
4 - White Hole
5 - Zoo
6 - Regina's Wedding
7 - Western
8 - Superheroes
9 - Home Invasion (what???)

Mista Koo

Despite it being my favorite show, I'm not good at remembering exact details nor ranking things. So I'll use the words I used to describe each Fiasconauts to make a tier list:

1. Physically hurt from laughing: Regina's Wedding, Camp Death, Rock Band.
  2. Fantastic: Heist.
  3. Great: White Hole, Home Invasion, Superheroic.
  4. Great, but: Zoo.

Karu

I have to do this by memory so it is a bit fuzzy, but here we go..

1 - Camp Death
2 - Regina's Wedding
3 - White Hole
4 - Western
- - -
5 - Rock Band
6 - Superheroes
8 - Heist!
8 - Zoo
9 - Home Invasion

There is a pretty distinct line between the episodes I have enjoyed and the ones I didn't. Zoo and Home Invasion were by far the worst, though. Home Invasion I still don't understand lol. On the other hand, Camp Death, the Wedding and White Hole were fantastic. With Western I mostly remembered Ben and his performance lol. No matter what, Huber also almost always delivers. His appearance on Camp Death is gold.

Tregard

Soothsayer
On the latest Uber Syndrome, Ian calling Tokyo Story a Yakuza movie was really funny.

New series in which Huber carpools with another one of the allies whilst getting pumped up about various games and movies. At the end of the trip, they rate each other on their levels of hype.

Maligna

Banned
Wow, people weren't lying about Kyle's VR stream. Werewolves Within had me laughing pretty hard.

I just watched it. It was great but as usual with me watching streams I found myself getting really upset that I couldn't reach into the screen and tell Kyle the rules/what he should be doing. Maybe I'm not meant to watch people play games. Hahaha.

Anyways, I found it odd that he was laughing and saying things like, "This is great! That's so cool!" Only to take the headset off and immediately declare he hated it and he never wants to do it again. If only he had gone through the role tutorial videos before he started streaming, it may have been less frustrating for him.

I guess there's also the fact that he's coming in late to the game at this point and people have already created many strategies in addition to the official rules of the game.

Anyways, I hope he gives it another shot.

Karu

Heroes of the Storm stream was awesome after Ben fixed his mic. Would love for them to do this again. Maybe consider switching the cam focus haha. Though I emphasize with Ian and his experience withthe genre and hurdle to enjoy it. Too much preasure

Fou-Lu

The detective mode discussion in the podcast made me hate the idea of detective mode less, but I am still very much not a fan of it in open world games. It's even worse when combined with waypoints and map markers and what have you.

The detective mode discussion in the podcast made me hate the idea of detective mode less, but I am still very much not a fan of it in open world games. It's even worse when combined with waypoints and map markers and what have you.

I really liked Brandon's take on the fidelity aspect of it. And luckily, I do think most devs are implementing it properly.

There's not many games like the original Arkham Asylum where you are pretty much in detective mode most of the time. And much like what Ben was saying, even in a title like Persona 5, it's largely a time saving feature.

Personally, I much prefer having a toggleable detective mode that conveys info. and interactable options than something like what Deus Ex: Mankind Divided does with it's white outline around objects of interest. The latter implementation doesn't offer as many options to the player and you either just turn those indicators on or off with no middle ground.

And the whole casualization question was a bit of a wash for me that reason. A good detective mode is one of the least intrusive ways to make a game more accessible to a larger audience whole retaining much of the underlying design.

And isn't that a good thing? To make games have a wider appeal while retaining much of what makes them special?

--

Suffice to say, I really enjoyed that discussion on the podcast. Great stuff all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom