• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karu

Gotta get through the billing cycle first. Which starts tonight.
This shouldn't be so thrilling lol
Got a nice catch, Zelda and MK8D for 47€ each on amazon. And then Arms. Can't wait to get the hands on my Switch.

Group stream was fun, the game looks insane. Star Trek is so cool, haha.

Hasney

it is just now because they got a new camera that came with that problem while configuring it, it should be fixed eventually.

I just hope before E3

I said it earlier, but I don't think that camera can be fixed. It's better with GPU acceleration, so I think it's when the CPU doesn't give it an instruction in time it just loses sync. It's not designed to be a webcam, like their other one that's just out of focus.

Karu

Can they not just ask Kinda Funny what they have and go from there? Their stuff looks almost always on point *thinks about it for more than a second* Don't know what they paid for that, though and how big the equipment is. Meh.

The level of uncomfortableness when E3 stream gets out of sync and the crew gets annoyed would kill me, though. Hope they figure it out! =)

Tabletop looses me hard again right now (feels like every other week, though, so it's probably me). I feel like it is all over the place with the puff-stuff. But then again, most love it probably. I prefer the more grounded stories.

Hasney

I'd take the lack of focus of the sync. Easy.

They said they need some equipment to focus the old one that's been out of stock, annoyingly.

And yeah, Table top is fantastic right now. But my favourite tabletop moment of both series is when they were on the back of a giant spider and then one of the villains I can't remember falls off and yells "My sphincter! You fools!"

I'd take the lack of focus of the sync. Easy.

They said they need some equipment to focus the old one that's been out of stock, annoyingly.

And yeah, Table top is fantastic right now. But my favourite tabletop moment of both series is when they were on the back of a giant spider and then one of the villains I can't remember falls off and yells "My sphincter! You fools!"

My favorite was the encounter with the Green Dragon "who am I!?!?!?"

Karu

Rather weird question, but are there any "classic" GT Times-episodes you might remember? Have an itch to go back to it for a nice little nostalgia trip and want to pick a juicy one.

Jones: "our first scripted series, Box Peek"

aobMFbO.jpg
How dare you.

Don's Discount Gaming transcends the concept of scripts.

How long do they have the camera now and how is it not fixed yet? What exactly is the problem?

Something I've been thinking for a while is that the sync could be Avermedia driver issues. I do some dev work with software that interacts with Avermedia capture cards and one issue we see from time to time is the audio drifting out of sync with the video.

Auctopus

I heard Huber say that he wanted to do a Penguin slam, which I assume is a Tim Tam Slam but with a Penguin bar.

I had no idea all this hubbub over Tim Tams availability outside of Australia was just over something that's basically a Penguin bar.

Budi

Damn, Ben inspired me to watch Twin Peaks again. I watched it when it aired here in Finland in the 90's so I don't really remember much, was a kid/teen then. Don't think I ever finished it. Been binging the first season today, one and a half episodes to go. It's been great how with every character appearing I've got this feeling "hey I know you!".

Axass

Tabletop looses me hard again right now (feels like every other week, though, so it's probably me). I feel like it is all over the place with the puff-stuff. But then again, most love it probably. I prefer the more grounded stories.

Grounded tabletop is best tabletop. In fact the best parts of TTE so far are the whole first city arc and the second city arc up until the massacre at the cat races, when all sidequests and most side characters are thrown out of the window. :(

El-Suave

Frame Trap was exceptional. The new setup really works and the Hottake was very interesting and a lot of good points were made. I really appreciate that Ben keeps bringing that topic up and that he is conscious about it. Those three hours flew by.

abrack08

Rather weird question, but are there any "classic" GT Times-episodes you might remember? Have an itch to go back to it for a nice little nostalgia trip and want to pick a juicy one.

Don't have a suggestion for an old episode, but a dentist in the Dallas area uses the GT Time intro jingle in their radio ads, it's a little blast of nostalgia every time one comes on.

Man, I hope they saw the Scorpio SoC picture before they recorded the podcast. Kyle made fun of the stupid engraved "4K" on the renders (rightfully so) and now it's on the real chip? That's just too funny.

Something I've been thinking for a while is that the sync could be Avermedia driver issues. I do some dev work with software that interacts with Avermedia capture cards and one issue we see from time to time is the audio drifting out of sync with the video.

First of all, I have to apologize for my avatar. I lost a bet and now it makes my posts look mean when they're not supposed to be or meaner than they're meant to be.

I just wish they would finally get a grip on the technical issues they have. It's okay when it happens once or twice, but some stuff keeps happening in the same or similar fashion or it takes way longer than it should to fix those things. Bad audio, camera out of focus, weird framing, okay-ish but not good lighting, lost recordings (because of full SD cards!), some things not being recorded at all and now sync issues during streams? Right before E3?

Like I said, some of the issues are fixed now, but even then it took way too long (especially audio). Other issues have been carried over from the GT era and will never get any sympathy from me (full SD cards). Who knows when the sync issue will be fixed. Could be tomorrow, could be in 2 week, could be never and they'll have to go back to the old camera.

I really love the Allies, but when people discuss whether or not they can be considered professionals, because they're reviewers and still get super hyped, these technical issues come to my mind first. I'd rather they shut the production down for a day or two and try to figure this stuff out once and for all, testing all day and get it stored, instead of bumbling along and sort of accept it as the way it is right now, hoping to fix it whenever.

Again, I'm sorry for the avatar making it look like a hateful rant, but it really comes from a place of love, because I really care about this stuff.

^^^ I expect their journalism to be professional. I don't expect great production values (though those are always nice).

Basically, I would dispute whether a bunch of journalists/editorial guys having tech issues is a real problem. They need to make sure it doesn't happen during E3, but otherwise I rate it a shrug/5.

(my other comment about tech issues is that 'shut everything down and get it sorted out for good' is a fantasyland idea. If you want it to always be right, that means dedicated manpower that's testing stuff for half an hour or more before every stream and always on standby during. Equipment changes, stuff breaks, weird nondeterministic things happen)

Budi

Yeah I've been very forgiving with tech issues too. Didn't really bother me back at GT either. It hurts them more than me, which is why I'd love for them to get this stuff sorted ofcourse. Also I don't really watch their regular streams much, so I might miss most of those. Sometimes it's even been funny to follow them "struggle". Hopefully E3 will be smooth though, they will have so many eyes on them. Important time to give a good impression.

_Ryo_

I tried earlier today to watch tabletop but the sound cutout at like 8 mins in. Was that only on my end? I fastforwarded through it all and no sound.

^^^ I expect their journalism to be professional. I don't expect great production values (though those are always nice).

Basically, I would dispute whether a bunch of journalists/editorial guys having tech issues is a real problem. They need to make sure it doesn't happen during E3, but otherwise I rate it a shrug/5.

(my other comment about tech issues is that 'shut everything down and get it sorted out for good' is a fantasyland idea. If you want it to always be right, that means dedicated manpower that's testing stuff for half an hour or more before every stream and always on standby during. Equipment changes, stuff breaks, weird nondeterministic things happen)

You could make that argument back in the GT days, but these days they're not only a bunch of journalists anymore and they don't have video producers and editors anymore. Part of their job for EZA is to be on camera every day and much like how some of them are getting into video editing, I'd expect that at least one of them would be interested enough to get into the nitty-gritty of video production and learn how other streamers and YouTubers get to the results they have and how they can apply it to EZA.

Again, I'm sorry if it comes over as overly harsh and if I'm assuming too much, please say so, but it's so close to E3 and I really want them to absolutely nail it in every possible way. It's their biggest presentation to the outside world, basically their advertisement. And the video and audio quality there should be representative for EZA as a whole and not a one-off thing once a year.

Bahorel

I can't remember if it was Kyle or Ben who said this to me at Fanime (I believe it was Kyle) but he was mentioning that it will be so helpful for them to reach the studio because that way they can have designated filming spots for each show and not have to breakdown the setup to change what's being filmed like they do in the garage. So hopefully that goal is not too long away. I don't mind them having to work on tech issues but I'm sure that with time things will be smoothed out

You could make that argument back in the GT days, but these days they're not only a bunch of journalists anymore and they don't have video producers and editors anymore. Part of their job for EZA is to be on camera every day and much like how some of them are getting into video editing, I'd expect that at least one of them would be interested enough to get into the nitty-gritty of video production and learn how other streamers and YouTubers get to the results they have and how they can apply it to EZA.

Again, I'm sorry if it comes over as overly harsh and if I'm assuming too much, please say so, but it's so close to E3 and I really want them to absolutely nail it in every possible way. It's their biggest presentation to the outside world, basically their advertisement. And the video and audio quality there should be representative for EZA as a whole and not a one-off thing once a year.
Well, they have guys who are pros at video editing -- that's why their produced content is so good. (Ian, Don, Jones)

In regards to streamers who are great at that craft, how many are also great at other stuff? How many learned on the job?

FWIW, it comes across a little unreasonable to me to suggest that because other streamers are good at something that it is inherently easy to pick up. In particular, we have a laundry list of production issues to complain about:

Lighting
Sound
Sync
Composition
Stream quality
Local backups
(and i probably forgot something)

They're clearly improving in these areas (compare production values from when they started to now), but is it really shocking that the skill set might take more than a year to learn? There's also the reality that it doesn't seem like many of the allies enjoy that kind of work (Bosman's protests during the stream come to mind). what's your plan for that? Kick people out of the group? I hope not!

The shortcut is to hire someone who doesn't need to learn it, but the financial side of that is probably obvious...

abrack08

I tried earlier today to watch tabletop but the sound cutout at like 8 mins in. Was that only on my end? I fastforwarded through it all and no sound.

Watched the whole thing a couple hours ago with no sound issues.

On the podcast this week, did I misunderstand, or did Huber
tell Jones he expects new main characters in Life is Strange 2, then bet the opposite with Kyle (so Kyle wins if there is a new playable character)?

Rockk

"Megaman Legends is one of my favorite games of all times. Top ten easy."

"I haven't beaten it since it was released."

Kyle Bosman is a strange individual.

Visceir

They're clearly improving in these areas (compare production values from when they started to now), but is it really shocking that the skill set might take more than a year to learn? There's also the reality that it doesn't seem like many of the allies enjoy that kind of work (Bosman's protests during the stream come to mind). what's your plan for that? Kick people out of the group? I hope not!

The shortcut is to hire someone who doesn't need to learn it, but the financial side of that is probably obvious...

It mostly just comes off as them not seeing the importance in making the investment into proper gear to give better quality content for their viewers/patrons. Their patreon keeps on growing and at 45k/month it seems kinda crazy that they're still struggling with seeminly such poor setups, even allocating 5% of that would be over 2k/month.

Don't need to neccessarely hire someone full time but I think it'd make sense to contract or get in someone (via Keighley/their friends or old colleagues) who does that kind of stuff professionally, have them take a look at their whole setup/garage and give solid advice on how to improve their production values and make life for themselves easier...and maybe set up some ground rules and standards for everyone to follow, so stuff doesn't get lost.

It makes sense to invest in "crazy expensive" gear if they knew they'd be using it for multiple years to come and would greatly improve the quality of their product.

This is like skimping on buying shoes and then complaining for months to come that your feet hurt.

Great new episode of TTE. It really flew by and the calm before the end game arc of the campaign. Almost all had a great moment this episode and watching the ramifications of Yogalla and the Puffs is really entertaining and fascinating.

It mostly just comes off as them not seeing the importance in making the investment into proper gear to give better quality content for their viewers/patrons. Their patreon keeps on growing and at 45k/month it seems kinda crazy that they're still struggling with seeminly such poor setups, even allocating 5% of that would be over 2k/month.

Don't need to neccessarely hire someone full time but I think it'd make sense to contract or get in someone (via Keighley/their friends or old colleagues) who does that kind of stuff professionally, have them take a look at their whole setup/garage and give solid advice on how to improve their production values and make life for themselves easier...and maybe set up some ground rules and standards for everyone to follow, so stuff doesn't get lost.

It makes sense to invest in "crazy expensive" gear if they knew they'd be using it for multiple years to come and would greatly improve the quality of their product.

This is like skimping on buying shoes and then complaining for months to come that your feet hurt.
Not quite sure I follow -- but maybe it's just because I'm not familiar with the specifics of production. Are you saying there's a silver bullet equipment solution that's affordable and would allow them to have great production values without hiring someone on to operate it (or converting someone on the team into that role full time)?

Because if you told me that exists, I'm not sure I'd believe you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom