• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy meal ideas when cooking for one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there's a bit of a "Try not end up with scrambled eggs" portion.

True, but as long as you avoided whisking the sauce in the pan and wait until the pasta and pancetta has been transferred to the bowl instead you should have no problems IME.

If not, it shouldn't take you too long to get the timing right and once you have it down you have a meal that is extremely easy and quick.

Get yourself one of these:

81j9uBOYggL._SL1500_.jpg

Damn thing will replace every pot and pan in your kitchen and cook damn near everything from a roast to popcorn.

Line it with Aluminium foil, and you'll be able to use it three or four times before you need to clean it, and even that is as easy as scrubbing a big pyrex glass bowl.

Best cooking decision you'll ever make.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

81j9uBOYggL._SL1500_.jpg

Damn thing will replace every pot and pan in your kitchen and cook damn near everything from a roast to popcorn.

Line it with Aluminium foil, and you'll be able to use it three or four times before you need to clean it, and even that is as easy as scrubbing a big pyrex glass bowl.

😬😬😬

He wants to elevate his dishes and diversify. That just seems like a dumb shortcut that isn't really one.

jesu

81j9uBOYggL._SL1500_.jpg

what is it?
is it better than a wok?

highrider

Banned
Burritos! Buy a pack of flour tortillas, can of beans, jar of salsa and whatever else you like (I like green bell peppers). Then grill and shred some chicken (or steak) and you're good to go. You can easily refrigerate them if you make too much.

Can't go wrong.

I've come to think this is one of the best solo meals.

Noodle salads - Can put any ingredients, any dressings in a bunch of cold or hot noodles:

Cook the noodles, drain them and wash under cold water, toss in a little sesame oil, deseed a cucumber and slice into thin strips with some spring onions (scallions), a chilli, some bean sprouts, mix some freshly grated ginger and a little garlic in soy sauce, add a squirt of ketchup and mix the lot. Serve with a soft-centre boiled egg.

Savoury bread and butter pudding for one. A few slices of bread (stale/old is even better). Cut the slices into triangles and lay in a buttered dish. Mix some milk, a couple of eggs, nutmeg, a herb like chives or thyme, some parmesan, garlic and add in some cooled, briefly sweated off veg like sliced leeks or courgette (zuccini) and pour over the bread. Allow to soak in for 5-10 mins and bake for about 15-20 mins until golden brown.
Can easily size it up to serve more.

Frittata - Sweat off some onions, garlic, and veg any like peppers, corgette, mushrooms. Add in some slice boiled new potatoes, poor over some beaten eggs and cook slow on the hob, top with some parmesan and finish off under the grill for a golden, bubbling top.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Spaghetti is good. Its one of the first dinner meals I learned how to cook.

Tuna fish salad. Without noodles. Just tuna, mayo, maybe eggs, relish. Whatever seasoning you want in it.

Scrambled eggs.Pancakes. Most breakfast meals are easy IMO. Eggs are the first meal ever I learned how to cook. I used to only do fried or omelet. Always thought scrambled was hard.

Baked chicken. Almost any chicken meal is easy.

oneils

Everything I do can be made in one frying pan. I mostly buy frozen vegetables, frozen fish, and fresh chicken and beef. For snacks it's apples, nuts and cheese.

I put some coconut oil, olive oil, or duck fat in the pan and toss the meat in. I microwave the vegetables for three minutes (in about a quarter cup of water). I drain the veggies and then toss them in the pan to soak up the oil. I season it with whatever.

I'll serve it with cheese and sauerkraut. That's it. I'm kinda boring.

_Ryo_

Big MeatBowl Ramen Noodles.

This is gonna seem complicated but it's really not. Takes about 30 minutes total time and only about 10 minutes if you skip the eggs.

Step 1.

Dice up small red/green/yellow Bell Peppers
Dice up a small onion
Dice up garlic cloves
Dice up frozen carrots
Dice up a small potato (can skip this)
Boil 2 small eggs. (And remove the shells!)

Prepare slices of precooked pork*, steak, or chicken. Most times, I personally boil some slices of fresh country ham. It is much too salty to eat when baked. So if you're going with this ingredient boil it half way and until you start boiling the noodles.

Step 2.

Now, depending on what kind of noodles you have, you need to adjust the amount of water you need to boil. If you have those dry instant packs, open two packs, place two entire bricks, uncrushed, into a pot just large enough to fit them, fill it with water until just 1 inch above the noodles. Open one packet of the flavouring and pour it into the water.

Now take the sliced country ham (or the other precooked meat), but only half of the diced veggies, and throw* them into the pot of noodles. Stir and then set to boil.

Alternatively you can sauté these.

Step 3.

Boil noodles until noodles are done, and if you did it correctly then you will not need to drain them. You will have just enough for water to use as the broth. Now pour noodles and broth into a large bowl, then place the rest of the veggies in. Slice up the boiled eggs and throw them in as well. Open up that second packet of flavoring and pour it in, stir. Viola, you're done.

Unless you want advanced broth and or fresh noodles. But that is actually quite a bit more complicated and takes extra preparation… anyway if the current broth isnt strong enough pour in a little bit of Worcestershire and soy sauce.

jesu

Big MeatBowl Ramen Noodles.

This is gonna seem complicated but it's really not. Takes about 30 minutes total time and only about 10 minutes if you skip the eggs.

Step 1.

Dice up small red/green/yellow Bell Peppers
Dice up a small onion
Dice up garlic cloves
Dice up frozen carrots
Dice up a small potato (can skip this)
Boil 2 small eggs. (And remove the shells!)

Prepare slices of precooked pork*, steak, or chicken. Most times, I personally boil some slices of fresh country ham. It is much too salty to eat when baked. So if you're going with this ingredient boil it half way and until you start boiling the noodles.

Step 2.

Now, depending on what kind of noodles you have, you need to adjust the amount of water you need to boil. If you have those dry instant packs, open two packs, place two entire bricks, uncrushed, into a pot just large enough to fit them, fill it with water until just 1 inch above the noodles. Open one packet of the flavouring and pour it into the water.

Now take the sliced country ham (or the other precooked meat), but only half of the diced veggies, and throw* them into the pot of noodles. Stir and then set to boil.

Alternatively you can sauté these.

Step 3.

Boil noodles until noodles are done, and if you did it correctly then you will not need to drain them. You will have just enough for water to use as the broth. Now pour noodles and broth into a large bowl, then place the rest of the veggies in. Slice up the boiled eggs and throw them in as well. Open up that second packet of flavoring and pour it in, stir. Viola, you're done.

Unless you want advanced broth. But that is actually quite a bit more complicated and takes extra preparation… anyway if the current broth isnt strong enough pour in a little bit of Worcestershire and soy sauce.

Is that to feed 4?

I'm

Here's an easy one, if you like sardines.

Rice, meat, vegetables and various sauces are always a good way to go. Throw in a hardboiled egg. Ace.

Cooking tip from me about good meat. Sear in pan, finish in the oven. To keep something like a roast or spare rib extremely tender try rubbing it with some mustard and then seasoning if you're worried about the meat getting too dry. That's for a healthier alternative, yogurt can also work, as will Mayonnaise and oil however they are lipid heavy obviously.

For veggies again the oven if you have one. Most vegetables like Broccoli, asparagus, carrots, coli flower, squash you name it simply needs to be trimmed down to bite sized pieces. Tossed lightly in oil, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper and baked. Most the time it's like 375-425°F depending on if it's a root vegetable or not (higher temp for root) for about 15-20 minutes to get a nice brown. Nice cooked, tasty and crunchy vegetables. Fug that steamed crap.

Having some good cookbooks help.

I have Alton's Brown's Good Eat trilogy.
A good books on microwave cooking.
A set of slow cooker recipes.
Several collections accumulated on the cheap, like gas station promo or bookstore sales.
And of course The Joy of Cooking, a 900 pages bible that describe, among other things, how to cook a squirrel.

h1nch

Blue Apron meals aren't always the most single-serve friendly given the variety in dishes, but this one was a game changer for me. It has become my goto chicken breast recipe.

https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/blackened-chicken-zucchini-rice-with-sauteed-corn-cherry-tomatoes

I usually make a full batch of the zucchini rice and corn, since those reheat extremely well, and then i just make a new chicken breast every night until I finish off the sides. The whole thing can be made in under an hour.

Also, here is my goto Taco meat recipe that I cobbled together years ago:

~1 lb ground beef (93 or 96% lean)
1/2 bell pepper chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
black pepper to taste
1 package mcormick taco seasoning (I prefer spicy)
1 8oz can of tomato sauce

In a medium-sized pan (nonstick is easiest) heat 2 tsp olive oil on medium-hot
When hot, add bell pepper and onion, sautee for a few mins until slightly softeened
Add ground beef, smashing/breaking up into smaller pieces
Add chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, taco mix (I generally use 3/4 of a package, or slightly more depending on how much ground beef) stir to mix it in evenly w/ beef
When beef is almost browned, add garlic, stir to mix it in evenly
Add tomato sauce, stirring to mix it in
turn heat down to medium-low, let sauce simmer to reduce, up to 30 mins , stirring occasionally

Serve on either hard taco shell or soft tortillas w/ accoutrements of your choosing. If I'm doing hard shell tacos I'll usually do shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, shredded cheese, and salsa. With flour tortillas I usually like to combine it w/ refried beans and shredded cheese. Sometimes I'm lazy af and just throw shredded cheese on the beef and treat them like nachos. Taco meat reheats extremely well, and also tastes good cold (I'll sometimes throw it into salads)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Macaroni with scrambled eggs.

Cook macaroni, start preparing scrambled eggs and in the middle of it add macaroni into the pan. Stir it a bit, add pepper and salt and voila. You can also add vegetables into the mix.
You can also use rice instead.

My go-to food for the life after living with my parents, has been sausages and macaronies. A swedish delicacy:

1699481257_72711364.jpg

Boil the macaronies in water until they get soft, and then switch the water for cream or milk, stirr it until it gets thick and serve with the fried sausages.

Add ketchup and mustard,

Eat.

What's with Swedish cuisine that makes it all look struggle as hell?

What's with Swedish cuisine that makes it all look struggle as hell?

I find the large bulk of western food culture rather sad. A lot of potatoes with plain vegetables served with whatever cut of meat you probably didn't even season much. Asians at least know that jank is the source of much flavour.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Pasta is very scalable, but not the healthiest of regular options. Still, start buying whole wheat pasta instead, it is better for you, has like 20% less calories, and you adapt to the taste within a couple of meals

8bit

Knows the Score
lo-fat spread!

C'mon, you've gone this far. Get the butter in you.

81j9uBOYggL._SL1500_.jpg

What is it? It seems to have a face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom