• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Echo Dot was showing for free on Amazon Prime

moeman

Well I contacted them and they gave me $5 promo credit for canceling my order so at least it wasn't a complete wash 🤷🏾*♂️

Am_I_Evil

1 white from my account and 1 black from my wife's account are out for delivery...just ordered 1 from each account...more than that seemed like it would draw unwanted attention...

WoolyNinja

Ordered 1 for free next day and its out for delivery - awesome! Always wanted to see how useful an Echo would be for myself, now I get to for free! Thanks OP!

Rootbeer

Banned
Order disappeared. No cancellation e-mail no nothing. I was pretty fast in ordering one too.

Good news is I didn't really want one; would have been a gift, so I'll get by.

Just amazon removing orders from your account without even a notice rubs me wrong though.

One got cancelled, the other went through.

Which is weird because the one that was cancelled was the first one I ordered. The second one that I ordered was so late in the process that I couldn't even do one day shipping without getting an extra charge, so I opted for two days.

Akoi

So I got a $5 credit and the CS rep is claiming Amazon is going to charge the full amount to anyone that received theirs.

So mine were cancelled -- which makes sense. But I think it's because it was set to arrive on Monday. It's weird because, living in Chicago, normally I would have had One Day or Same Day shipping for an item like that (I could have gotten it in 2 hours if I ordered through Prime Now) which would have meant they'd already sent it out and I would have had them before they cancelled. So I kind of got screwed on this one but I was screwing them so I can't be mad, hahaha. I'm not salty. I already have an Echo and two Dots so I probably would have just used these for gifts anyway.

Akoi

I contacted support and was told the same thing. Have you gotten your credit yet? I haven't gotten mine.

This is the email I got after contacting them:

I've issued a $5 promotional certificate to your Amazon.com account, which will automatically apply the next time you order an eligible item sold and shipped by Amazon.com. The promotional certificate doesn't apply to items offered by other sellers on the Amazon.com website and won't cover the purchase of gift cards, sales tax, gift wrap, or additional shipping costs.

Your promotional balance doesn't appear in Your Account, but will always display at checkout when you place an order through the Shopping Cart for an eligible item shipped and sold by Amazon.

Erekiddo

When will people learn not to contact customer service? ffs

"Oh hi your site had a clear error and I missed out but what can you do to help me :("

Also, they can't legally charge people for something that was their error.

Socivol

So mine were cancelled -- which makes sense. But I think it's because it was set to arrive on Monday. It's weird because, living in Chicago, normally I would have had One Day or Same Day shipping for an item like that (I could have gotten it in 2 hours if I ordered through Prime Now) which would have meant they'd already sent it out and I would have had them before they cancelled. So I kind of got screwed on this one but I was screwing them so I can't be mad, hahaha. I'm not salty. I already have an Echo and two Dots so I probably would have just used these for gifts anyway.

Same live in Chicago and mine were cancelled even the one I did next day with which was odd because normally the items ship the same day I order them for two day delivery. I do wonder if ordering via prime now would've worked in the instance.

Am_I_Evil

just got mine:

echo.jpg

What are the chances Amazon charges you after the fact for those that actually receive them lol?

Also, the fact that people are receiving them, was this some weird Amazon promotion lol?

Clearing stock for 3rd gen?

Kusagari

hmm well this is the quote I got:

Me: so you are saying that the ones that shipped will get charged anyways?
Rep: Yes, they will receive communication with regards to this

The rep knows jackshit. The uproar if Amazon did that would be insane and it's probably not even legally possible.

What are the chances Amazon charges you after the fact for those that actually receive them lol?

Also, the fact that people are receiving them, was this some weird Amazon promotion lol?

Clearing stock for 3rd gen?

Apparently Amazon was going to run a promo where if you bought a 6 or 12 month (?) Audible subscription you got an Echo for free.

They activated the coupon for getting the echo dot for free but someone forgot to add the "WITH Audible subscription purchase" stuff in. So every echo dot was going out free for about an hour or so. Well, then they cancelled about half (?) of the purchases too so its sorta unclear why they even allowed some to go through.

And yeah amazon can't charge a follow up price for something they sent out free. Amazon reps rarely know anything useful, its never worth the time asking them something they can't actually do at that moment like change a order.

Top Bottom