• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed Boon Poll: "Affordability more important than games or graphics for future PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X owners"

Vawn

Banned
What happens when the same client has Horizon, Spiderman AND GOW like a lot of people out there? High chance that's the case if AAA single-player experiences are your jam. Totally flawed logic but yeah whatever.

Nobody said everyone who bought Spider-Man bought a PS4 just to play it. But a certain percentage did. Same with other huge exclusives on all platforms.

Obviously, there are a lot if factors. But "system selling" games are a real thing. I find it very odd when people get defensive about the idea that people buy consoles that play the games they want to play.

Is it just the Xbox crowd that realizes it doesn't have the exclusive games lately and so wants to minimize their importance?

Racer!

Thats over 60% not price sensitive, a great result for a higher initial price.

Price can come down to really affordable after a year or two, and when it does it offers a better experience for all.

I brought a PS4 because I thought the Ratchet and Clank remake would be good, and it wasn't, outside some gameplay mechanics.

Luckily there's games like Killzone, Wipeout, and the Jak bundle to play, but sucks there was only one R&C game this gen on consoles and it was only slightly better than the terrible movie.

sendit

From launch till now there’s always been a cheaper or equal price PS4 on the market.

What point were you trying to make?

Searched BestBuy,Amazon,Target,Walmart.......Xbox One Provides a cheaper option over the PS4.

Other than odd unicorn sales. What bullshit point are you trying to make?

NT80

If price, power, services and backward compatibility are going to be roughly similar (as expected) what other reasons are there other than exclusives to pick one over the other?

Last edited:
Nobody said everyone who bought Spider-Man bought a PS4 just to play it. But a certain percentage did. Same with other huge exclusives on all platforms.

Obviously, there are a lot if factors. But "system selling" games are a real thing. I find it very odd when people get defensive about the idea that people buy consoles that play the games they want to play.

Is it just the Xbox crowd that realizes it doesn't have the exclusive games lately and so wants to minimize their importance?

So 86,8% of the 50 000 people who voted in that poll are the "Xbox crowd" as well? Because they obviously think exclusives are the least important thing when picking a console.

Btw all the best selling games on the PS4 are multiplats. Don't know why you seem so shocked by the results of the poll.

Last edited:
Yes only Joe COD and Dave FIFA were allowed to vote in this public social media poll. Frank FORUMOPINION, Thomas THIRSTFORTERAFLOPS and Henry HARDCOREGAMERZ votes were swept under the rug.
I didn't say they weren't allowed to vote, I pointed out the correlation between pop gaming and the want for desiribility.

So wind your neck in and stop jumping at ghosts.

sendit

This isn’t true. Currently both can be had for ~$250 with games.

Changing your tune from your original statement. 😂

Given the same retailer. The Xbox One is the cheaper option.

Given MSRP. The Xbox One is the cheaper option.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
What if we had a generation -- just one generation -- where the consoles kept themselves to a $200-300 price even if it meant skimping on some hardware power?

Imagine the growth of the industry and the market, it would be insane. The PC and Wii both did this in the 00s yet failed to capitalize on it, so all that growth bled to the smartphones.

Wonko_C

This is why Sony is worried they can't keep the costs of the PS5 parts down, they even said themselves consoles can't launch for more than $399 a few years ago, IIRC.

Last edited:

Top 3 markets of dedicated gaming console.

Top 20 best-selling games from 2010 through 2019 in the U.S.
Grand Theft Auto V
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Call Of Duty: Ghosts
Red Dead Redemption II
Call of Duty: WWII
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
Minecraft
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Mario Kart 8
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Battlefield 1
Battlefield 4
Destiny
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Star Wars Battlefront 2015

Top selling games of the decade Japan.
Smash Ultimate
MK8
Pokemon SwSh
Splatoon 2
Pokemon SM
Pokemon BW
Animal Crossing NL
Pokemon XY
MHP3RD
MH4

Top selling game of the decade UK
screenshot2020-01-03a69kf0.png

To give you some perspective, when PS4 was at 60M units sold during 2013-2016, only 1 time ps4 1st party game managed to chart in NPD yearly chart while Switch 1st party games managed to chart 14 times during 2017-2019.

Gamers bought PS4 and XBO to play 3rd party games like COD, FIFA, and GTA.

Gamers bought NSW to play 1st party games like Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon.

Last edited:

Sussoloc

If price, power, services and backward compatibility are going to be roughly similar (as expected) what other reasons are there other than exclusives to pick one over the other?
Service, warranty, loudness, appearance, power consumption, controller, accessories and game prices, VR, Game Pass, network quality + stability, Ui, comfort functions, PS Now, xCloud, Crossbuy, Crosssaves and so on.

Last edited:

NT80

What if we had a generation -- just one generation -- where the consoles kept themselves to a $200-300 price even if it meant skimping on some hardware power?

Imagine the growth of the industry and the market, it would be insane. The PC and Wii both did this in the 00s yet failed to capitalize on it, so all that growth bled to the smartphones.

But how much of an advance would a $200 console be over the Xbox one X?
I'd rather they bring out more powerful expensive consoles with a mid gen refresh but kept them going for longer. 8-9 years rather than 6-7. There would be plenty of time for the price to come down more and more and the games library to grow.

DrDamn

Nope. This one, that's not a post I made ...

Last edited:

NT80

Service, warranty, loudness, appearance, power consumption, controller, accessories and game prices, VR, Game Pass, network quality + stability, Ui, comfort functions, PS Now, xCloud, Crossbuy, Crosssaves and so on.
Like I said prices, services and BC being roughly similar I can't see the other things being a big factor. VR potentially which would lead back to exclusives.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
But how much of an advance would a $200 console be over the Xbox one X?
I'd rather they bring out more powerful expensive consoles with a mid gen refresh but kept them going for longer. 8-9 years rather than 6-7. There would be plenty of time for the price to come down more and more and the games library to grow.
Heck yeah, I'd also take that bargain.

The thing is, companies (hint: it's the third parties cracking the whip) keep pushing pushing pushing for better hardware so that they don't have to squeeze power out of old hardware yet can still put up glossy bullshots to compete in the market.

So I don't trust most companies to actually give us those 8-9 years.

The Switch is (essentially) a $200 console at a premium due to its gimmick. That system is roughly 8x the RAM and 4x the FLOPS of the previous generation.

So there would be an advancement every generation, it just wouldn't be the "PC leapfrog" that Xbox and Playstation keep trying to sell. That's the problem, IMO: the console companies want to boast about hardware power compared to PC instead of doing what consoles do best.

I think the specialized SSD drives and the audio processing hardware in the new systems is 100% the way to go. Specialized hardware that offers unique points of leverage over generic PC hardware. That is how consoles used to be.

Sussoloc

Like I said prices, services and BC being roughly similar I can't see the other things being a big factor. VR potentially which would lead back to exclusives.
Don't underestimate that. There are people that prefer 2 years warranty over 1 year for their 500 bucks (me for example). And Game Pass can be a huge thing too, day 1 exclusives for a small monthly price is not too bad. Loudness is also a factor, saw many people complain about loud PS4s. For me some of those factors are equal to exclusive games. Not all, but some.

Vawn

Banned
Gamers bought PS4 and XBO to play 3rd party games like COD, FIFA, and GTA.

Gamers bought NSW to play 1st party games like Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon.

Actually, people bought PS4 to play the full library - the games you can only play on PS4 AND the games you could play on PS4 or Xbox One OR PS4 or Switch.

The Nintendo's exclusives are fantastic, but they don't have 90% of the big multi-platform AAA games that are on both PlayStation and Xbox.

Xbox has the majority of AAA third-party multiplatform games (except some Japanese stuff like Dragon Quest), but lacks in quality exclusives.

PlayStation has the third-party games AND the great exclusives. THAT is why PS4 has outsold Xbox One by more than 2 to 1. That is why PlayStation has outsold both Xbox and Nintendo every generation since PlayStation launched with the exception of the Wii which was selling to a very, untraditional audience.

You can get out of here with this "gamers don't care about games" nonsense.

Vawn

Banned
Nintendo Switch first party attach rate.

MK8D ~43%
SSBU ~33%
SMO ~31%
BOTW ~31%
Pokemon SwSh ~30%
Pokemon Let's GO ~22%
Splatoon 2 ~18%
SMP ~17%
NSMBUD ~11%
LM3 ~10%

While that's great and those are good games, it also shows how much fewer choices Nintendo gamers have when it comes to third-party AAA software.

Actually, people bought PS4 to play the full library - the games you can only play on PS4 AND the games you could play on PS4 or Xbox One OR PS4 or Switch.

The Nintendo's exclusives are fantastic, but they don't have 90% of the big multi-platform AAA games that are on both PlayStation and Xbox.

Xbox has the majority of AAA third-party multiplatform games (except some Japanese stuff like Dragon Quest), but lacks in quality exclusives.

PlayStation has the third-party games AND the great exclusives. THAT is why PS4 has outsold Xbox One by more than 2 to 1. That is why PlayStation has outsold both Xbox and Nintendo every generation since PlayStation launched with the exception of the Wii which was selling to a very, untraditional audience.

You can get out of here with this "gamers don't care about games" nonsense.
Let me remind you again

At the end of 2017, PS4 had sold over 73M units but only 2 times PS4 first party games managed to chart on yearly NPD since 2013 to 2017 while Nintendo Switch 1st party games have charted 14 times in half of PS4 years 2017-2019.

Uncharted 4 at no.12
Horizon Zero Dawn at no.15
Not even in top 10 best seller list.

PS4 could easily sell over 90M console without a sweat with 3rd party supports alone.

Most PS4 1st party titles were given away for free while Nintendo 1st party title rarely dropped the price.

Example
HZD complete Edition (Base game+Expansion) current MSRP is $20

Zelda BOTW(Base game+DLC) current MSRP is $80

Last edited:
Also PS4 had already outsold XBO 2 to 1 in 2015 without a single PS4 first party game managed to chart on NPD while XBO had 2.

Exclusive didn't do anything at all in PS4 vs XBO generation.

The main reason why PS4 won.
-Stronger base console 1.84TF vs 1.3TF
-Cheaper than its main competitor.

Those 2 alone sealed the win for PS4

PlayStation 4 is also cheap as hell in developing countries with a proper support behind those regions.

Last edited:
I assume those following Ed Boon om Twitter are pretty hardcore gamers, so that’s not a good sign for $500 consoles.

And it makes sense that exclusives aren’t too important right now as we know fuck all about them at this point.

wolffy71

Banned
Price will always be the most important decision when it comes to consumer choice. This has been proven over and over again on all sorts of products. If these consoles are too much it won't come down to which a casual buys because they will just buy neither. They will wait for a price drop.

Hardcore fans are gonna buy their favorite console/ecosystem regardless.

I say ecosystem because a lot of us have too many friends (or games)on a system to want to switch either way.

Last edited:

Ellery

I didn't say they weren't allowed to vote, I pointed out the correlation between pop gaming and the want for desiribility.

So wind your neck in and stop jumping at ghosts.

I was just making fun of you for asking who was asked because it was a public poll and now I have to google what wind your neck and jumping at ghosts mean !:messenger_pouting:

Sussoloc

That's also PlayStation's worst selling home console against Xbox's best (by far).
While it was Sonys worst selling console, it was Sonys best selling Blu-Ray Player since at some point it was the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market (thanks to billions of subsidies) and movie lovers bought it like crazy.

Last edited:

JaffeLion

Banned
I'm beginning to think that you Meirl, Bandi and Heinrich are exactly the same person.

Either that or you're all bots.

No, I work for Microsoft. Didn’t you know? Everyone who says something positive about Xbox he is 100% a Microsoft shill - of course.

/s.
So pathetic. If someone says something positive about Sony he is - of course - right and not a shill. Lol

NAI1210

While that's great and those are good games, it also shows how much fewer choices Nintendo gamers have when it comes to third-party AAA software.
Not really I think people buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games, I love the switch but I don't want resi 3 remake on it its not powerful enough to do it justice I'll get it for ps4, I would love resi revelations 3 on switch I would like to see more companies make games specifically for the lesser powered Nintendo consoles they can always release do a upscaled version for pc and other consoles, as in the case of resi revaltions 1 originally on 3ds, but looks great on ps3, even if Nintendo switch had the same power as the Xbox one x I still think multiplat games would get outsold by the first party Nintendo games on that system, its hard to say though nin 3rd party for AAA games hasn't really been there since the snes days

Vawn

Banned
Not really I think people buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games, I love the switch but I don't want resi 3 remake on it its not powerful enough to do it justice I'll get it for ps4, I would love resi revelations 3 on switch I would like to see more companies make games specifically for the lesser powered Nintendo consoles they can always release do a upscaled version for pc and other consoles, as in the case of resi revaltions 1 originally on 3ds, but looks great on ps3, even if Nintendo switch had the same power as the Xbox one x I still think multiplat games would get outsold by the first party Nintendo games on that system, its hard to say though nin 3rd party for AAA games hasn't really been there since the snes days

That's what I've been saying.

Nintendo fans buy Nintendo consoles mostly to play Nintendo games.

Xbox fans buy Xbox consoles basically to play multi-platform games.

PlayStation fans expect a large combination of AAA third-party games AND a bunch of quality exclusives not available on other platforms.

NAI1210

While it was Sonys worst selling console, it was Sonys best selling Blu-Ray Player since at some point it was the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market (thanks to billions of subsidies) and movie lovers bought it like crazy.
I bought it for a blu Ray player and the last guardian 😳

NAI1210

That's what I've been saying.

Nintendo fans buy Nintendo consoles mostly to play Nintendo games.

Xbox fans buy Xbox consoles basically to play multi-platform games.

PlayStation fans expect a large combination of AAA third-party games AND a bunch of quality exclusives not available on other platforms.
I got a ps4 this gen, after being 360 last gen, I'll go for the one that plays the 3rd party games the best next gen, not really interested in any of the Sony or xbox exclusives, although if from software and Sony team up again for another exclusive I'll end up buying ps5, as well as an xbox if the series x runs the 3rd party games better 😉

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
"Affordability more important than games or graphics for future PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X owners"
That's right, I don't build PC's and gamers shouldn't feel cheated out because the price is low means the consoles will be held back, disgusting form of thinking. PS5 is literally going to be the best playstation ever, coming from a gaming junkie.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
13% corresponds exactly with the number of forum-dwellers who care about exclusives.

No one else does.
Exactly, the only console where exclusives matter is Nintendo. Xbox and PS4 they're irrelevant. No one's buying a Playstation for Uncharted and no ones buying an Xbox for Halo. They're buying them to play FIFA, COD and Fortnite with their friends and said friends are buying the cheapest system. 30 million Xbox users didn't disappear because of Horizon Zero Dawn, they left because the piece of plastic was $100 more.

Last edited:
I don't know about all this but when i was stood in my local electronics store ready to buy a current gen console, exclusives was the deciding factor in choosing between an Xbox One or PS4. So i promptly picked up a PS4 Pro even though i knew the Xbox One X was the stronger console and would give me native 4K in quite a few games.
Multiplatform games will always be the same or same-ish between the two.

Look at how badly the WiiU flopped despite all those great exclusives.
Eh well, hardware-wise the Wii U was a piece of shit. Also, the OS and its features were atrocious, slow and clunky. A few exclusives was the only thing that redeemed it, but that was far from enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom