• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed officially revealed for Street Fighter V

yurinka

Is anyone else bothered that his barcode tattoos are gone? #continuity
Maybe they weren't tattoos, or were non-permanent tattoos.
Nah, FANG will be the final boss of Story Mode Season 2.
If there is a 2nd season for the story mode (something I'd love), I see Sagat -who would be the 1st character for S3- coming back and kicking Fang's ass.

It also would be nice to use all the DLC stages released until now in this 2nd story mode, plus in survival and arcade modes. At least for those who unlocked them.
They added a space after the sixth silhouette. I'm thinking Sagat is closer than we think.
I'd bet this space always has been there. But maybe was smaller. Someone could double check it by watching the previous trailers, including the S2 announcement.

Why do so many people hate poor FANG lol
I like his design a lot, but it's too bad he's a charge character, I can't play this kind of fighter at all D:

Dude is cheap as hell.. it doesn't make it any better that nobody picks him, so when you do run into one that mildly knows what they are doing, you get smashed.

But it wouldn't be Street Fighter without a guy like that :/

Dude is cheap as hell.. it doesn't make it any better that nobody picks him, so when you do run into one that mildly knows what they are doing, you get smashed.

FANG? Cheap? I don't think so friendo :)

Have you ever thought maybe there's a reason nobody picks him?

All of this FANG hate is pissing me off! He is the best new character, and thankfully they kicked out that bum loser Sagat so Bison could have a legit Four Kings stable.

This had to have been said in jest lol

mas8705

I'll admit that I was skeptical of Ed Boy when he was first announced and when he was first seen. ((Also I'm sorry, but I will be calling him Ed Boy because life has many doors...)) From the gameplay though, Ed Boy looked pretty good since he isn't just a straight out Boxer like Balrog is. I like the idea that he does kicks too in some of his moves and how he utilizes some moves form Bison as well in combat.

Actually now that I think about it, would it be fair to say that Ed Boy is the "Rock" of Street Fighter V? Much like how Rock Howard was kind of a mix of Terry and Geese, you have this character that is kind of a mix of Balrog and Bison. Hopefully we'll see some good things come out from him when he gets released... some time later since I don't think I saw a release date for him.

Blueblur1

Ya know, considering the thirst I keep seeing being built up for Sagat & Sakura, i'm gonna go ahead and commend the guys for saving them for their future initiatives. Thirst is real.

Also, Ed looks awesome. I'm very curious to try the new input method. Bring on the weekend.

You're assuming they're saving them? Please feel free to correct me. :)

No, Fang is the worst, no one is below him

Yup. His damage output is on average the LOWEST in the game.

Which would be fine if poison was good. But it isn't.

It would be fine if he did a lot of stun. But he doesn't.

Even Kolin who does comparably low damage, counters it by having setups out the wazoo, a LOT of stun output and very reliable corner carry.

mbpm1

Yup. His damage output is on average the LOWEST in the game.

Which would be fine if poison was good. But it isn't.

It would be fine if he did a lot of stun. But he doesn't.

Even Kolin who does comparably low damage, counters it by having setups out the wazoo, a LOT of stun output and very reliable corner carry.

I think Kolin has more damage. She converts more damage reliably off a jab when she has meter, counterhit or not, and can put you in a mixup off of that too

Neoxon

Ya know, considering the thirst I keep seeing being built up for Sagat & Sakura, i'm gonna go ahead and commend the guys for saving them for their future initiatives. Thirst is real.

Also, Ed looks awesome. I'm very curious to try the new input method. Bring on the weekend.
I feel like those two may be in Season 3, especially Sagat.

Kaleinc

Banned
wJwrK7T.gif

Im not sorry.
lDcg5g9.gif

Ed is Ed Boon easter egg known for terrible design decisions.

FANG is one of the worst characters in the game, lmao.

Oh I know this.. but I don't give a shit who you are, a sporadic ass scrub with a Fang is dangerous 😤

All of this FANG hate is pissing me off! He is the best new character, and thankfully they kicked out that bum loser Sagat so Bison could have a legit Four Kings stable.

This had to have been said in jest lol

Yes, man! I kid, I kid... but it was this Super gold came into the lobby the other day and ran us cause we never play him that much. That's all..

I'd bet this space always has been there. But maybe was smaller. Someone could double check it by watching the previous trailers, including the S2 announcement.
It's been there since the beginning, but they changed the background now. It's odd to me to have a seventh empty space, so I'm guessing that it's there to hint at a seventh character, who will most likely be a veteran SF character, and I think Sagat is the most likely candidate for that.

Ha, I thought so. I get destroyed by any character I don't get to face off much, like Rashid. I have no idea what to do about anything he does.

For Rashid, I try to knock him down. CC his ass and bait his srk. V-R's help too.

OT tho.. ED might be a problem for pad players if his move set doesn't have quarters. What y'all think?

You're assuming they're saving them? Please feel free to correct me. :)

No, they're saving them. You think they didn't know Sagat & Sakura were huge fan requests? They're some of the most popular characters in the franchise, bar none. Their reintroduction is being planned.

Blueblur1

It's been there since the beginning, but they changed the background now. It's odd to me to have a seventh empty space, so I'm guessing that it's there to hint at a seventh character, who will most likely be a veteran SF character, and I think Sagat is the most likely candidate for that.

Good point. There isn't a corner obscuring the top left of the silhouette banner so the bottom right has to be there for a reason.

Mista Koo

Seriously? His look is anything but generic.
I can't tell anything about him by looking at him. He's a boxer due to the gloves I guess. He looks like one of Bison's mooks, or the leader of the mooks since his outfit is sleeveless and he has a "named character" haircut.

I feel like fighting game makers forgot how to design a good character visually in the last 15 years. From Street Fighter to KoF to Tekken and Soul Calibur, the designs all look way too busy and cluttered.

Up to and including SC2 maybe, every character had an idea behind him visually that somewhat reflected in his fighting style and looked good. Then suddenly with the jump to HD (again, maybe, can't pin down the game or year, way too casual observer for that), it seems like 5 people all just HAD to incorporate their own idea into one character. Like they went to the Final Fantasy Tactics 2 school of over-design. There are exceptions, like the female brazilian fighter in SFV, but most of the time when I see artwork or trailer for new characters, they look really weird.

Well, just my 5 cents. Don't understand why they didn't go with the hoody as the main costume.

Edit: SFV is the least offensive in this regard for me - but this character fits..
In the last 12 years:
  • Tekken had Raven, Bob, Leo, and Shaheen.
  • SoulCalibur had Setsuka, Tira, Hilde, and Viola.
  • King of Fighters had Ash, Elizabeth, Nelson, and Luong.
  • Street Fighter had Abel, Juri, Rashid, and Fang.
Also there are a lot of trash in what you consider to be the good era.

Thores

I actually really love how much Street Fighter V is digging back and using their own ridiculous lore for new characters. This is now a game where you can play as Gill's butler and Balrog's adopted son.

That alone is enough for me to try out Ed, but his moveset looks cool and his control scheme is intriguing! Can't wait to get my hands on him.

I actually really love how much Street Fighter V is digging back and using their own ridiculous lore for new characters. This is now a game where you can play as Gill's butler and Balrog's adopted son.

That alone is enough for me to try out Ed, but his moveset looks cool and his control scheme is intriguing! Can't wait to get my hands on him.

This week for a few days

Neoxon

Some people are analyzing Ed's moves from the trailer for frame data. Apparently Ed's s.LP & s.LK are both 3 frames on start-up.

Blueblur1

No, they're saving them. You think they didn't know Sagat & Sakura were huge fan requests? They're some of the most popular characters in the franchise, bar none. Their reintroduction is being planned.

Nice. I hope they change them up in some way to make them feel a little fresh; costume change and a new move or two.

WarRock

Maybe they experimented with simpler inputs and found it was too easy to perform a super by accident.
But what about Marvel QCF or QCB+2 buttons or Blazblue's Mai QCF or QCB+D as super inputs then? It's weird going for double QCF instead of one of those if you still want motion inputs.

Heck, in Blazblue Kokonoe has a special that automatically turns into a super if you have enough meter and KoF2002 has a F,B,F,B,F,B,F,B super.

Going for double QCF seem kinda half-assed, like they were afraid of doing the whole character unorthodox for SF standards.

Ferrio

Banned
But what about Marvel QCF or QCB+2 buttons or Blazblue's Mai QCF or QCB+D as super inputs then? It's weird going for double QCF instead of one of those if you still want motion inputs.

Heck, in Blazblue Kokonoe has a special that automatically turns into a super if you have enough meter and KoF2002 has a F,B,F,B,F,B,F,B super.

Going for double QCF seem kinda half-assed, like they were afraid of doing the whole character unorthodox for SF standards.

Could be a balance issue too. Having a super move with invul frames with no motion would be incredibly good.

BadWolf

Could be a balance issue too. Having a super move with invul frames with no motion would be incredibly good.

Shen Woo's EX super in KOFXIII was just pressing C, A, B, C (HP, LP, LK, HP) one after the other.

People didn't have issues with doing it by mistake and nor did it make him broken (despite the super doing big damage, being fully invincible, having 3 frame start up and giving him a power boost for 15 seconds or so afterwards).

So yeah, there is plenty they could have done without resorting to QCF QCF.

Ferrio

Banned
Shen Woo's EX super in KOFXIII was just pressing C, A, B, C (HP, LP, LK, HP) one after the other.

People didn't have issues with doing it by mistake and nor did it make him broken (despite the super doing big damage, being full invincible, having 3 frame start up and giving him a power boost for 15 seconds or so afterwards).

So yeah, there is plenty they could have done without resorting to QCF QCF.

Comparing to to KoF is unfair, the games are very different mechanically. Saying it works fine in KoF doesn't mean it can't have balancing issues in SF.

WarRock

Comparing to to KoF is unfair, the games are very different mechanically. Saying it works fine in KoF doesn't mean it can't have balancing issues in SF.
Shen Woo's input is no different from Shun Goku Satsu sans the directional input though. If SGS works fine in SF...

Neoxon

What happened to the balance changes? When are those supposed to be coming now?
The CFN Update pushed everything back, including the balance changes.

That said, the balance update will be in the CFN Beta later this week (alongside Ed himself).

Top Bottom