• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #185 (the scores! the scores!)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow. Was Soul Calibur REALLY that bad? I completely forgot about that game during the holiday rush, what were GAF's thoughts?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
suda 51 haters and burnout paradise haters owned in one fell swoop. i've got to swing by the news stand and get a copy of this issue framed

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
SolidSnakex said:
They gave K7 an 8.

That adds some perspective to the NMH score. Will be interesting to see scores from other publications and, more importantly, play the game myself!

Prince8

Banned
Greatness Gone said:
Not hard to believe.
Yes it is.

Honestly, No More Heroes seems really interesting, but I honestly think it's kinda hyped too much because of the great lack of upcoming Wii titles.

birdchili

Dascu said:
I hope this Edge score for NMH has a positive effect on the sales.
perhaps some of the folk who were turned off by the unconventional gameplay in k7, but liked the tone and strangeness will give nmh another look. it seems a much more "normal" game in a lot of ways, which might broaden the appeal.

of course, edge was one of the believers as far as killer 7 goes, so perhaps the same love it/hate it division is forthcoming.

jarrod

Banned
birdchili said:
are there any changes aside from swapping out red blood spray for black? i can't imagine its going to make much difference if that's it. i'd just as soon have the black spray, really... a lot of "realism" isn't going to improve things at all in this case.

exactly.

if its just a color swap they should give you the option in the config somewhere.
It's not a color sawp iirc, it's no blood at all (enemies "explode" in a pixel burst). Honestly, I think they should put both in the western releases anyway and let the player configure which he/she prefers.

jarrod

Banned
birdchili said:
perhaps some of the folk who were turned off by the unconventional gameplay in k7, but liked the tone and strangeness will give nmh another look. it seems a much more "normal" game in a lot of ways, which might broaden the appeal.

of course, edge was one of the believers as far as killer 7 goes, so perhaps the same love it/hate it division is forthcoming.
Well, it's basically a GTA3/Zelda mash up in K7 clothes. It's certainly going to be more accessible to gamers than K7 was, but it's bound to have issues of it's own.

How did EDGE rate Contact? In some ways, that's a closer design comparison for NMH really...

traveler

Not Wario
birdchili said:

This is what I'm afraid of. And by "folk who were turned off by the unconventional gameplay," (referring to K7) I assume you mean "people who didn't give the game's crap gameplay a free pass because of its artistic merits?"

Blimblim

The Inside Track
squicken said:
This is where BlimBlim usually comes in and says Edge gives all UK developed games an extra point.

Which means The Club must be a turd.
STOP STEALING MY THUNDER!
Edit: I wonder if Edge once again used our videos of the game to get screenshots of their preview of GT5. Like they did for Halo 3 and a few others. Still, I just renewed my subscription so I guess I don't mind that much :p

jarrod

Banned
traveler said:
This is what I'm afraid of. And by "folk who were turned off by the unconventional gameplay," (referring to K7) I assume you mean "people who didn't give the game's crap gameplay a free pass because of its artistic merits?"
So basically, like what the rest of the industry media does for Ueda's games. :p

traveler

Not Wario
jarrod said:
So basically, like what the rest of the industry media does for Ueda's games. :p

?

I thought SotC's gameplay was the main reason people praised it? It's always been mine; is that not the case for most?

Speevy

Banned
I am shocked and surprised by the NMH score. I will be even more shocked and surprised if the average of most other publications is higher.

SantaC

traveler said:
?

I thought SotC's gameplay was the main reason people praised it? It's always been mine; is that not the case for most?

it has more to do with the artistic approach than the gameplay.

Maybe this isn't the right place for this, but seeing the score for No More Heroes reminds me to ask - does anybody know if the game has a story as "layered" as Killer 7? Those who finished Killer7 sort of know what I'm getting at. I just want to make sure NMH is not skin deep so to speak.

jarrod

Banned
traveler said:
?

SotC's design was certainly more fleshed out than ICO, but Ueda's games tend to coast on aesthetic and presentation largely. Same for Suda really... if any of their game designs came with a medicore face they'd be forgotten immediately.

SantaC

jarrod said:
SotC's design was certainly more fleshed out than ICO, but Ueda's games tend to coast on aesthetic and presentation largely. Same for Suda really... if any of their game designs came with a medicore face they'd be forgotten immediately.

agreed

SantaC said:
it has more to do with the artistic approach than the gameplay.

It's a balance of both which is why it averages a 91%. You don't get that by pushing art over everything else. Suda isn't even near Ueda's league on any level.

Speevy

Banned
jarrod said:

What games with mediocre aesthetic/presentation have gotten high marks because of their gameplay recently (consoles)?

No More Heroes - [9] ... yay

Geometry Wars Galaxies - [7] ... aww hell nah. i'm guessing their citing the msrp for justification. but its worth every penny

birdchili

traveler said:
sure. for what its worth - i mostly *liked* the gameplay, with a few reservations (deeply dumb res.evil-style puzzles and clunky reloading, mostly). the audio design particularly was memorable.

Bishman

Great score for No More Heroes. I was expecting like around a 7.5 - 8. So it is good to see that score. Heh heh. Hopefully No More Heroes sells better in the rest of world unlike Japan.

Nicktals

Banned
I have a feeling people are going to be surprised by how much is different between the Japan/EU version and the US versionof NMH. No I don't have any real info and that's just a guess, but I'm almost certain I'll be right. I mean they changed cutscenes (already shown they changed the intro cutscene) from the Japan version to the US version, and I'm guessing that the intro cutscene won't be the only one they changed.

Burnout Paradise - [9] cannot wait to read this. Paradise rewarded for doing something new- Congratulations Criterion.

No More Heroes - [9] Oh hello.
Soul Calibur Legends - [2] Comedy review.
The Club - [7] Respectable, I'll still check it out.

Why is Burnout Paradise so good. I didn't enjoyed the demo (Loved Revenge)

Convince me someone, because before i did play the demo I was really looking forward to buying it.

beelzebozo said:
yes. "no more haters"
Yeah well Edge will have a lot of haters if they're wrong. a 9 is not a score they throw around. Twilight Princess, Gears of War, Resident Evil 4.. Paradise.

Two 9s in a single issue is almost as crazy as three 10s.

BURNOUT Criterion Games 8 E104
BURNOUT 2: POINT OF IMPACT Criterion Games 8 E116
BURNOUT 3: TAKEDOWN Criterion Games 9 E141
BURNOUT LEGENDS Criterion Games 7 E155
BURNOUT REVENGE Criterion Games 8 E155
BURNOUT PARADISE Criterion Games 9 E185

Tieno

Visualante said:
Burnout Paradise - [9] cannot wait to read this. Paradise rewarded for doing something new- Congratulations Criterion.

No More Heroes - [9] Oh hello.
Soul Calibur Legends - [2] Comedy review.
The Club - [7] Respectable, I'll still check it out.
BlimBlim:"They're rewarded for being british"

jmdajr

Soul Calibur Legends - [2]:lol DAMN

Awesome score for No More Heroes. I get the feeling it's not going to sell though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Visualante said:
Yeah well Edge will have a lot of haters if they're wrong. a 9 is not a score they throw around. Twilight Princess, Gears of War, Resident Evil 4.. Paradise.

Two 9s in a single issue is almost as crazy as three 10s.

putting pretty much anything on this level always seems like a bold statement to me

Dragmire

SantaC said:
so Suda51 delivers the first AAA 3rd party game to Wii that is not a port. Horaay
It's becoming a cliche, but...

51dcZYBF85L._AA280_.jpg

jarrod said:

Oooh, buurn! Though I agree to an extent (Ico was garbage, Shadow was pretty good).

Top Bottom