• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #185 (the scores! the scores!)

Borys

Banned
traveler said:
WHAAAAAATT?!?!?!

Haven't you people heard anything about Farcry 2?

A great game can have a shitty mag cover you know.

traveler said:
I hope you aren't planning on starting some Crysis > FC2 campaign just because the latter was announced for consoles. :p

/ busted :D

jarrod said:
Uh, the scope of GH's stuff is diecrtly dictated by budget. Same as every other game really, I've no clue what could lead you to think otherwise?
Do you think developer's in Suda's position would attempt to create a free roaming game? Hell no. That is the vision I'm talking about. I'm hardly a huge Grasshopper fanatic but I've read about their last three games quite avidly- Suda admires Rockstar North, with No More Heroes he was trying to emulate what they do with open worlds.

I see your point, but I don't think Suda is the kind of guy who thinks: oh my budget is very small, i should make this kind of game. He is the kind of guys who goes- I want to make this game with these things and I'll think about the rest later.

jarrod said:
And they've had multiple dogs before too, yet they're still around. Hell, they've even grown really and spawned off a splinter developer (audio). Christ, do some research...
I'm just going on something that Platinum games said recently in an interview, they said if they have one or two bad games that is it for them. I simply translated that notion over to Grasshopper's situation.

jarrod

Banned
I think SCL would've been recieved a whole lot better had they done something like throw in a rebalanced/wagglized SC3 and made it a bundle package. As is, it's more like an expanded Tekken Force without the main game. :/

A decent version of SC3 might've been a nice appetizer for SC4 a year later too imo, and it's not like the things would've taken much in terms of resources (the base engine was already ported for Legends and the core game was already designed on PS2).

Drewsy

Banned
traveler said:
WHAAAAAATT?!?!?!

Haven't you people heard anything about Farcry 2?

I don't give a fuck about anything that isnt DMC4 or Ninja Gaiden 2 in 2008.

The cover looks like shit.

jarrod

Banned
Visualante said:
Do you think developer's in Suda's position would attempt to create a free roaming game? Hell no. That is the vision I'm talking about. I'm hardly a huge Grasshopper fanatic but I've read about their last three games quite avidly- Suda admires Rockstar North, with No More Heroes he was trying to emulate what they do with open worlds.

I see your point, but I don't think Suda is the kind of guy who thinks: oh my budget is very small, i should make this kind of game. He is the kind of guys who goes- I want to make this game with these things and I'll think about the rest later.
I think you're wrong on both counts... he definitely considers budget when outlining his projects. Hell, that's how the studio's set up, they do contract stuff (ie: Shining Soul) to help pay for their more pet projects.

It's also worth noting that NMH is easily Grasshopper's most ambitious (and likely expensive) project to date and is being co-funded by two other companies even (MMV & Spike). It's also a game Suda's been wanting to make for awhile now, and he's only gotten the opportunity recently after growing his company and reputation. This isn't like Ueda at all... if Ueda were in the same position, ICO would've closed his studio before they ever released a game.

Visualante said:
I'm just going on something that Platinum games said recently in an interview, they said if they have one or two bad games that is it for them. I simply translated that notion over to Grasshopper's situation.
Yeah well, considering how he drove Clover into the ground, I wouldn't go applying Kamiya's standards universally. ;)

traveler

Not Wario
Well, I assumed when you said you'd be passing on the issue, you meant more than just looking at the cover. Now, personally, even if I think a cover is shit, if the game being covered interests me or, at least, looks promising, I'll read the article, but I guess I stand alone here. Clearly, the cover art is an accurate representation of the info within. :p

Amir0x

Banned
Ah, no good games this issue... probably get Burnout Paradise, but might be Burnout'd out.

Syphon Filter is obviously too low, and NiGHTS is 4 points too high but beside that it's fine.

Edit: Oh, R-Type Tactics... that has to be on in Japan already, no? Did people like it?

Drewsy

Banned
Yep, that's the kind of attitude you get from being in art school for years. I'll page through it to see if any of the articles look good...but Farcry 2 doesn't interest me, and this magazine has the reputation of having the best covers this side of the Atlantic.

This magazine is the best there is, makes EGM look like a shitrag full of corny jokes. (which it is)

jarrod said:
This isn't like Ueda at all... if Ueda were in the same position, ICO would've closed his studio before they ever released a game.
Well I wasn't the one who said that, I couldn't comment because the only thing I know about Team ICO is that there is some magic in there. Seems like a silly comparison to me.

jarrod said:
Are you kidding, they're both blatant Moebius homages?! Agree to disagree I guess...

okay haha...Im back

I dont think Team ICO's stuff looks that much like Moebius's stuff...infact I prefer it

Of course, this is just my opinion...

You seem to know quite alot about Team ICO's influences and ethics though...are you and insider then??

ALso, none of this takes away from the fact that I think No more Heroes does have excellent art

jarrod

Banned
Visualante said:
Well I wasn't the one who said that, I couldn't comment because the only thing I know about Team ICO is that there is some magic in there. Seems like a silly comparison to me.
Fair enough... I don't think there's really much room for comparison in this regard either between the two. If Ueda were in Suda's shoes, or vice versa, they'd obviously have gone about their projects much differently.

nelsonroyale said:
okay haha...Im back

I dont think Team ICO's stuff looks that much like Moebius's stuff...infact I prefer it

Of course, this is just my opinion...

You seem to know quite alot about Team ICO's influences and ethics though...are you and insider then??
Good attempt to discredit with the diversionary iNSiDUR angle, but putting *anything* over Mobeius art wise for argument's sake sort of gives away your hopeless Sony whore status. One doesn't needs an inside source to see the immediate similarities, they just need eyes.

BeeDog

nightside said:
what if EA announces a cheap cash-in crysis port on PS360?

just asking...

Borys knows there isn't a console in the world (except the fantabulous Phantom) that can run or show off Crysis in its full glory.

Amir0x said:
Edit: Oh, R-Type Tactics... that has to be on in Japan already, no? Did people like it?
Curious as well. Discussion didn't really take off in the Japanese release topic.

Tried to get some info on its strategy versus tactics design but no bites on that hook.

jarrod said:
Fair enough... I don't think there's really much room for comparison in this regard either between the two. If Ueda were in Suda's shoes, or vice versa, they'd obviously have gone about their projects much differently.

Good attempt to discredit with the diversionary iNSiDUR angle, but putting *anything* over Mobeius art wise for argument's sake sort of gives away your hopeless Sony whore status. One doesn't needs an inside source to see the immediate similarities, they just need eyes.

OT: hahahah

eh, your arguments are all over the place, and your posts indicate you very obviously ride a different horse, but I suppose the most ardent zealots usually have little faculty for self evaluation...I certainly have a preference for the ps platform, but my artistic interest has little to do with that fact...funny thing is you were arguing for subjectivity, then stated your subjective viewpoint under the guise of objectivity...but Ill leave it...I really do spend too much time on the nets banding illogic with joke characters like you...sign me...out

Interested to see how farcry 2 turns out

jarrod

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
OT: hahahah

eh, your arguments are all over the place, and your posts indicate you very obviously ride a different horse, but I suppose the most ardent zealots usually have little faculty for self evaluation...I certainly have a preference for the ps platform, but my artistic interest has little to do with that fact...funny thing is you were arguing for subjectivity, then stated your subjective viewpoint under the guise of objectivity...but Ill leave it...I really do spend too much time on the nets banding illogic with joke characters like you...sign me...out
Ironing yummy!

Sorry (to everyone else) this degraded so quick, I guess responding to like with like wasn't the best move on my part. :lol

Cosmozone

Ouch at Soul Calibur Legends. I must admit I even was interested at some point. It was only when I saw some videos when I realized the game might be (very) bad. So damn repetitive, everything.

xcomp

ItsInMyVeins said:
Since it's a british mag I don't know. Any idea if it's a japanese or NA or PALand-version they've played?
Would like to know this too. Any update on the PAL release date? The stores have it down for February 29th but, I think that's made up. They just set the date as that because the game's been announced for February only so far = /

Top Bottom