• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #185 (the scores! the scores!)

jarrod

Banned
Speevy said:
What games with mediocre aesthetic/presentation have gotten high marks because of their gameplay recently (consoles)?
Culdcept Saga springs to mind. And deservedly so... hopefully someone brings over the DS version.

SolidSnakex said:
Suda has isn't even near Ueda's league on any level.
Suda most definitely can craft a narrative and structure that Ueda can't, and vice versa I'd say. Their games both largely play like deep fried shit though, but that's okay.

Ueda has a big advantage over Suda though when it comes to support, budget, promotion, etc. If Team ICO had to make games under the same conditions as Grasshopper, they'd have folded years ago.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So, is No More Heroes that good? I remember Sp0rk gave some good impressions. Did other gaffers like it?

Salmon

This could end well for No more Heroes! Even CVG gave it...lemme see now...94/100, so I hope it will follow this trend from now on. Great to see third party games scoring this great for the Wii!

jarrod said:
Culdcept Saga springs to mind. And deservedly so... hopefully someone brings over the DS version.

Suda most definitely can craft a narrative and structure that Ueda can't, and vice versa I'd say. Their games both largely play like deep fried shit though, but that's okay.

Ueda has a big advantage over Suda though when it comes to support, budget, promotion, etc. If Team ICO had to make games under the same conditions as Grasshopper, they'd have folded years ago.

eh, no

I do agree that both excel mainly in the artistic department...but in that regard, Team ICO really are in another level compared to Suda, and pretty much any other game on the market

jarrod

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
I do agree that both excel mainly in the artistic department...but in that regard, Team ICO really are in another level compared to Suda, and pretty much any other game on the market
Their stuff's so different, I'd say it's difficult to really class one as objectively superior. It comes down largely on preference... I mean do you prefer Miyazaki or Lynch? Same thing here.

jarrod said:
Their stuff's so different, I'd say it's difficult to really class one as objectively superior. It comes down largely on preference... I mean do you prefer Miyazaki or Lynch? Same thing here.

heh, I just think Team ICO's art transcends the videogame genre to some degree...its subjective yes...but very likely alot of people would agree with this analysis.

jarrod

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
heh, I just think Team ICO's art transcends the videogame genre to some degree...its subjective yes...but very likely alot of people would agree with this analysis.
People say the same for Killer 7... in both cases it's really aesthetic/presentation that elevates things though.

These sort of things aren't limited to Ueda/Suda projects though, you'll hear the same sort of nebulous transcendent "art talk" when it comes to stuff like Bioshock, Grim Fandango, Majora's Mask, Panzer Dragoon, etc, etc. It's all still games in the end though.

Superfrog

Tieno said:
That's a good cover. Not as busy and screaming for attention as those other game mags.

It's actually pretty busy compared to other Edge covers. But it's still way ahead of many other mags.

jarrod said:
People say the same for Killer 7... in both cases it's really aesthetic/presentation that elevates things though.

These sort of things aren't limited to Ueda/Suda projects though, you'll hear the same sort of nebulous transcendent "art talk" when it comes to stuff like Bioshock, Grim Fandango, Majora's Mask, Panzer Dragoon, etc, etc. It's all still games in the end though.

I suppose it depends what you are looking for..though it isnt necessarily the case with bioshock....great art, but check city of the lost children....obviously a very clear inspiration...

Also, in the case of Team ICO stuff, I was pointing to the fact that the art is mature, elegant and rather unique...its not really that common in vgs

Yes, Crysis did get an EDGE cover, iirc, it was dark, shiny blueish cover

Edge%20front%20page.jpg

jarrod

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
I suppose it depends what you are looking for..though it isnt necessarily the case with bioshock....great art, but check city of the lost children....obviously a very clear inspiration...

Also, in the case of Team ICO stuff, I was pointing to the fact that the art is mature, elegant and rather unique...its not really that common in vgs
Er, Bioshock's no more derviative than Team ICO's stuff... hell, Team Andromeda was basically doing Team ICO a half decade earlier, only their games play better.

If we're going to move this argument into originality, the Suda spanks everyone really though.

jarrod said:
Er, Bioshock's no more derviative than Team ICO's stuff... hell, Team Andromeda was basically doing Team ICO a half decade earlier, only their games play better.

If we're going to move this argument into originality, the Suda spanks everyone really though.

they look nothing alike.... lets forget about this, aint going anywhere

SantaC said:
it's true that suda has a much tigher budget than ueda has though.
I don't think Suda's been limited by budget or time really. Both games have perforance issues if you had intended to say "NMH frame rate sucks"

jarrod

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
You probably knew this, but Moebius actually contributed to Panzer Dragoon's design.
Actually, he just did some artwork for the JP cover. :p

The whole thing was designed and basically finished by that point though iirc, though he was obviously a huge influence on the aesthetic.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Visualante said:
I don't think Suda's been limited by budget or time really. Both games have perforance issues if you had intended to say "NMH frame rate sucks"

I'm going to have to go ahead and say that YES, he is limited by budget. His entire business model is centered around minimizing his costs. His games are produced on some of the lowest budgets in the industry. His company was initially bankrolled by 50,000 dollars in cash. His games are profitable enough to keep the company in business even at <20,000 units sold for some of them.

jarrod

Banned
Visualante said:
He didn't say that, he said Suda's worked with tighter budgets than Ueda. SOTC alone probably cost more to make and advertise than all Grasshopper's games combined. :lol

GhaleonEB

jarrod said:
Actually, he just did some artwork for the JP cover. :p

The whole thing was designed and basically finished by that point though iirc, though he was obviously a huge influence on the aesthetic.
For some reason I thought he helped with some of the concept work as well, but I can't remember where I read it. I'm a bit behind on my PD lore these days. I just checked Wikipedia FWIW:

One of Panzer Dragoon's major artistical influences was Moebius' (Jean Giraud) Arzach, a comic book series created by the French artist. He even contributed in the creative process of Team Andromeda's game with original artwork.
Maybe that just refers to the cover, but I thought it went a little deeper.

dmshaposv

Good on No More Heroes.

While I do like EDGE, I think they do overate/underate games and be overly critical and self-important like gamespot at times.

jarrod

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
For some reason I thought he helped with some of the concept work as well, but I can't remember where I read it. I'm a bit behind on my PD lore these days. I just checked Wikipedia FWIW:

Maybe that just refers to the cover, but I thought it went a little deeper.
Nope, just the cover iirc... we heard about it in that rawsome Futatsugi inteview 1up did a little while back.

Speaking of which, Futatsugi needs to hook up with AQi and get some of that MGS or Nintendo cash to do something soon. DSWii60, I don't care, I just want more Andromeda. :(

Stumpokapow said:
I'm going to have to go ahead and say that YES, he is limited by budget. His entire business model is centered around minimizing his costs. His games are produced on some of the lowest budgets in the industry. His company was initially bankrolled by 50,000 dollars in cash. His games are profitable enough to keep the company in business even at <20,000 units sold for some of them.
His budget is limited, his ideas and the realisation of them are not afaic. It's pretty obv. that if Grasshopper has two bad games in a row they'll get disbanded.

MidiSurf

Banned
I really think that is bit too much for NMH. I mean it may be awesome game but still it has tons of technical problems so 9 is too much. Solid 8 is what i think.

traveler

Not Wario
Borys said:
April 2006, April Fool's :(

Just kidding, thanks for the image. Looks way cooler than the FC2 one ;)

I hope you aren't planning on starting some Crysis > FC2 campaign just because the latter was announced for consoles. :p

And where the hell is the FC2 info? I'd rather have had it than the scores.

jarrod

Banned
Visualante said:
His budget is limited, his ideas and the realisation of them are not afaic. It's pretty obv. that if Grasshopper has two bad games in a row they'll get disbanded.
Uh, the scope of GH's stuff is diecrtly dictated by budget. Same as every other game really, I've no clue what could lead you to think otherwise?

And they've had multiple dogs before too, yet they're still around. Hell, they've even grown really and spawned off a splinter developer (audio). Christ, do some research...

traveler

Not Wario
Drewsy said:
Don't care about the scores, but this is the worst cover in a long time. I'll probably be skipping this month. :(

WHAAAAAATT?!?!?!

Haven't you people heard anything about Farcry 2?

Xav

neojubei said:
That cuts deep into Namco's wounds. Really, Namco should outsource their action adventure titles to Capcom and Capcom should outsource their 3d fighters to Namco.
You've never played the Power Sone or Rival Schools series have you?

Xav said:
You've never played the Power Sone or Rival Schools series have you?

Aside from that why the hell would I want a Capcom fighter that played like Tekken? And why would Capcom want to make Namco's shitty spin-offs for them?

Neojubei you don't make any sense.

Top Bottom