• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #210 (January) scores: Ride the low

1-D_FTW

Noshino said:
As much as I loved
Nintendo during the NGC
days, I really think that Publisher and Person picks belong to Capcom and Kamiya.

Sorry, but for the most part, thing that that the DS has done, the PS2 has done better. Hell, I was even thinking that the advertising campaign behind the DS could be one aspect where it was better, but then I remembered that Sony delivered a hell of a campaign for the PS2. It really is hard to argue about this pick.

Wii Sports. Wii Fit. I think these categories are clearly talking about most significant. I'm totally mystified by the appeal of WoW, but I think it's very fitting that it gets the number one spot for games. Same thing with Nintendo as publisher. Wii Sports, for whatever anyone thinks of the game, is leagues beyond anything Capcom did. It won a hardware war.

Noshino

1-D_FTW said:
Wii Sports. Wii Fit. I think these categories are clearly talking about most significant. I'm totally mystified by the appeal of WoW, but I think it's very fitting that it gets the number one spot for games. Same thing with Nintendo as publisher. Wii Sports, for whatever anyone thinks of the game, is leagues beyond anything Capcom did. It won a hardware war.

Sure, you are right, influential enough to be system selle, they are not my thing, they are great and all, but that wouldn't exactly make them the publisher of the decade, specially since one came out on 06 and the other on late 07. On the other hand, Capcom through the decade has been releasing great games nonstop, and not on just one console, but on all. So yes, Capcom as a publisher, and its library for the decade, is leagues beyond Nintendo's library for the decade.

andymcc

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Wii Sports, for whatever anyone thinks of the game, is leagues beyond anything Capcom did. It won a hardware war.

sold more than anything that capcom has, you're right. i'd probably play every capcom game from this decade over wii sports, though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Shogun PaiN said:
Its a fact that every game on the Game of the decade list is a high quality game that deserves it's spot on the list.

I agree that they are all high quality, but it still a fucking opinion.

ShogunX

HK-47 said:
I agree that they are all high quality, but it still a fucking opinion.

Indeed but its a bit of a shitty one its not much of an opinion to claim every one of those games bar one isn't good.

Unless I misread what he said of course.

Firestorm said:
Some teachers give out As for just doing your work (IGN) and other teachers think average work deserves an average grade (C). Most teachers give a B as average so they don't piss off the parents (publishers).

This is pretty spot on actually.

I AM JOHN! said:
I take it the people complaining about the 6 for LBP PSP have not actually played LBP PSP, since that score is pretty spot on.

Why should they read the review or play the game when it's so obvious that EDGE is only biased against Sony exclusives.

ShogunX

OldJadedGamer said:
This is pretty spot on actually.

Why should they read the review or play the game when it's so obvious that EDGE is only biased against Sony exclusives.

It definitely makes a lot more sense than that Coke nonsense.

1-D_FTW said:

With Edge being a european magazine, from a european perspective, I wouldn't call
Nintendo
the publisher of the decade. Constantly delayed titles coming to europe, 8 month delay on the launch of the
gamecube
itself in europe from the Japanese launch.

Warioware Twisted
was announced for europe, then never released with little explanation as to why.

They're much better now
post Wii launch
, but over a whole decade? Europe really has gone through periods where we haven't received much love from good old
NOE.

AniHawk

Firestorm said:
other teachers think average work deserves an average grade (C).

I had one of these guys this semester. Awesome class. Learned a lot. There's also a fourth type of teacher, the one that grades on the curve. And whoever does the best fucks over the rest of the class. The assignment could be, "come back in two days with 500 thumbnails." Well if someone comes in with 1000 (this actually happened), that becomes the A, and the grade drops accordingly. So if you went above and beyond and did 750 instead of 500, you only got a C.

Spiegel

I AM JOHN! said:
I take it the people complaining about the 6 for LBP PSP have not actually played LBP PSP, since that score is pretty spot on.

What? Why?

I've finished the game and it certainly doesn't deserve a 6. The story mode is even better than the ps3 one (imo obviously).

It's probably the best game released this year for psp.

rpmurphy

Noshino said:
Sure, you are right, influential enough to be system selle, they are not my thing, they are great and all, but that wouldn't exactly make them the publisher of the decade, specially since one came out on 06 and the other on late 07. On the other hand, Capcom through the decade has been releasing great games nonstop, and not on just one console, but on all. So yes, Capcom as a publisher, and its library for the decade, is leagues beyond Nintendo's library for the decade.
Well, I dunno if many would disagree with that except for the major caveat that the two publisher's game libraries hardly overlap in ways that could be directly comparable, unless we were to use some arbitrary metric. On the scale of influence, however, based on an observation of the industry now and the industry at the beginning of the decade, the nominees in the list have done things that have shaped the industry on a large scale. It's a much less problematic comparison.

Spiegel said:
What? Why?

I've finished the game and it certainly doesn't deserve a 6. The story mode is even better than the ps3 one (imo obviously).

It's one of the best psp games.
Because it's a game that doesn't belong on the PSP?

As well designed as all the levels are (and I will fully admit, Sony Cambridge made some excellent levels), there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't have just taken all the resources to build this as a downloadable pack for the PS3 version with the option to make two-plane-only levels. There's nowhere near enough content to equate to a $40 game, and the fact that the PSP isn't online unless you willfully make an attempt to go online means that the community aspect of the game is almost completely lost. Look at all the problems LBP proper has had of getting really quality community levels out there (or at the very least, making sure people know these levels exist), and add in the elephant in the room that almost no one buys PSP games - do you really think there is ever going to be a worthwhile community for this game? What they did is a great effort, but I cannot comprehend why Sony wasted Cambridge's time building a new game from the ground up except to get another game with "LittleBigPlanet" in its title on the market when they could have instead had them expand on the core game, living up to one of the big promises they made when LBP was gestating (that other studios within Sony were going to make their own level packs and content for the game) and adding a useful feature to the game.

It's a fine game, sure, but it's an absolute waste of potential. There's no reason for it to be and for that it completely deserves that six.

Noshino

rpmurphy said:
Well, I dunno if many would disagree with that except for the major caveat that the two publisher's game libraries hardly overlap in ways that could be directly comparable, unless we were to use some arbitrary metric. On the scale of influence, however, based on an observation of the industry now and the industry at the beginning of the decade, the nominees in the list have done things that have shaped the industry on a large scale. It's a much less problematic comparison.

That's the thing, what did
Nintendo
do during the first half of the decade that was influential in any way or form?....not much

In the other hand, Capcom has been very big when it comes to the action and fighting genres, with games like Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, and the VS series of games, not only that, but they have also helped Rockstar publish their games in Japan, and Sony as well (God of War, The Getaway). And let's not even bring up their efforts with niche games.

So yah, once again, it is hard to say that
Nintendo
deserves Publisher of the decade, maybe Developer for their 2 hit wonders, but outside of that, not really.

Spiegel

I AM JOHN! said:
Because it's a game that doesn't belong on the PSP?

You are not making sense here. You can't dock points for some arbitrary reasons. Games with great platforming and level creator belong to any platform.

It's okay if you think that it would be better if this game wasn't made and that Cambridge could have used the resources in other games, but objectively as a game LBP is superb and has enough content to justify the 40$ price tag. It has 30 highly replayable levels + create mode + user generated content + tons of new stickers and costumes.

And there are already some nice user created levels. You should try them.

But I really want to read the EDGE review.

rpmurphy

Noshino said:
That's the thing, what did
Nintendo
do during the first half of the decade that was influential in any way or form?....not much

In the other hand, Capcom has been very big when it comes to the action and fighting genres, with games like Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, and the VS series of games, not only that, but they have also helped Rockstar publish their games in Japan, and Sony as well (God of War, The Getaway). And let's not even bring up their efforts with niche games.

So yah, once again, it is hard to say that
Nintendo
deserves Publisher of the decade, maybe Developer for their 2 hit wonders, but outside of that, not really.
Everything they've accomplished this generation outweighs their miniscule impact of last generation by miles. Ushering in a new generation of "casual gaming" (a term which no one really used much before, much less to describe a demographic to develop for) with their releases on DS and Wii is no small feat.

Noshino

rpmurphy said:
Everything they've accomplished this generation outweighs their miniscule impact of last generation by miles. Ushering in a new generation of "casual gaming" (a term which no one really used much before, much less to describe a demographic to develop for) with their releases on DS and Wii is no small feat.

First of all, that term was used before, and it was already an existing group, it just wasn't as big, nor was it as explored as it has this generation.

Like I said, they might deserve the developer of the decade for those 2 titles which were basically the ones that drew people in (Brain Age also should be credited), maybe even Video Game Company of the decade, but Publisher? no freaking way, they haven't made enough merits to deserve it

F#A#Oo

Banned
I think Edge is doing it right btw...

If reviewers are not going to use the full scale then they might as well covert to a 3 point scale. 1 average, 2 good and 3 excellent...because that's effectively what reviewers boil it down to...

Noshino said:
Like I said, they might deserve the developer of the decade for those 2 titles which were basically the ones that drew people in (Brain Age also should be credited), maybe even Video Game Company of the decade, but Publisher? no freaking way, they haven't made enough merits to deserve it

I think you have to actually read their reason...

Nintendo started the decade being the laughing stock...and ended the decade as the king...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Noshino said:
Uh, they went from third place console last generation, to a dominating first place this generation, and their software sells insane amounts for insane amounts of time. As far as publishing goes, they're definitely tops.

I think you're reversing "developer" and "publisher" in your head.

Even as developers, though, almost every game Nintendo releases is one of the best in its genre.
I said almost.
People diss Wii Sports and Wii Fit, but there are very few developers making casual games as good as Nintendo's. (EA has been good at it, with Boom Blox and Sports Active and the like, and maybe the occasional rabbid game is fun, but that's about it.) New Super Mario Brothers Wii is fantastic. Super Mario Galaxy is maybe the best game ever made. Twilight Princess was the best 3D Zelda game overall, even if it did re-do Ocarina of Time a little too much. Metroid Prime 3 was great. Fire Emblem is still one of the best SRPGs out there. (I like it better than the Final Fantasty Tactics games.) Advance Wars is a fantastic strategy game. I could go on, but I'm lazy. And that's not even including all the great games from Gamecube.

I have no problem putting Nintendo at the top of the heap as far as publishers and game companies go.

Top Bottom