• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 212 scores

OliverSautner

Neo Member
Doubledex said:
No, not really. He is simply right. It's the typical "Oh it's a SONY game. Let's give it an average rating"BS again, from EDGE. Can't wait until GoW3's 7 from EDGE.

But yeah "buh buh SONY fanboy... bubuh... it deserves a 7 blablub"
paranoid-bart.JPG

BrokenSymmetry said:
EDGE hated the character modelling, the dialogue, and the cliche story in Dragon Age, all of which are much better in Mass Effect 2.

Edge also reviewed the console version of Dragon Age, so there's an instant +2 you can add to the score if you're playing the PC version.

Haunted

flipping_heck said:
Heavy Rain - 7

Bioshock 2 - 8

Mass Effect 2 - 9

Dante's inferno - 6

Stalker: Call of Pripyat - 7

Darwinia+ - 8

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth - 6
Dante's Inferno is way too high, pretty shocking score for a magazine that values innovation and creativity as much as EDGE. :/

Was hoping for Heavy Rain and Edgeworth to be received better, have no beef with the other scores, they sound about right.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
PJX said:
Lol at people bashing Edge over games they haven't played.

Goes both ways.

That's true but still every month people love to use EDGE scores to validate their trolling while ignoring all other reviews, no matter how good or bad they are.

That said, I don't care what score my favorite games get from any reviewer but EDGE threads are always fun.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
brain_stew said:
Edge also reviewed the console version of Dragon Age, so there's an instant +2 you can add to the score if you're playing the PC version.
i dont think they would +2 score for pc version they gave witcher 5 wich was better than dragon age in every way

Hmm, never heard about the 5 Edge gave Dragon Age, must have missed the bus on that one. I'll not normally bitch about a review score, as other people have mentioned a billion times in this thread, opinions are subjective, but a 5?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
A 7 for HR, now that wasn't very predictable was it, I swear PS3 exclusives have received more 7's from Edge that any other publication in the world.

What's so crazy about liking Mass Effect 2 and not liking Dragon Age? I couldn't stand being in the world of Dragon Age, but I love Mass Effect's world. Shit happens.

While this thread isn't bad yet, EDGE threads still bring out the dumb.

"Objectives reviews, we want'em!"

I'm playing Bioshock 2 right now and so far it's a 7. It just feels too similar to the first. After stuff like Uncharted 2 and KZ2, I expected more from the sequel to Bioshock. Surprised to see Edge review such a meh game so highly. Just my 2 cents.

Kinda expected a 7 on HR (what did they give Fahrenheit out of curiosity?). There is going to be more where that came from too. I expect divisive opinions on a title with such a different execution. I for one enjoyed the hell out of the demo, but I can see why the GTA and Halo peeps may be frustrated with the unique control scheme, slow pacing, and nontraditional gameplay concepts and themes. This one is definitely going to be a mixed bag depending on what type of gamer plays it.

Alex

brain_stew said:

As true is that is and as much as I harp on the console version, it's still not an amazingly awful port or anything and it still deserves to be up there with console Mass Effect 2 at the least, especially when the problems with the port aren't the prevalent problems brought up in the review (difficulty goring, visuals and interface, isometric cam removal, etc)

As much as I hate to get into review mud slinging, especially when I barely read the things, Dragon Age really deserved better considering what a fantastic return to form it was, best CRPG in a long time. Scoring it lower than the original Mass Effect, which was really a mess of a game outside of characters and lore and the overall proof of concept, is really silly.

Prine

Banned
Having played DA and ME2 (completed neither) i thought the general consensus would be that ME2 is the superior game.

DevilWillcry said:
but I can see why the GTA and Halo peeps may be frustrated with the unique control scheme, slow pacing, and nontraditional gameplay concepts and themes. This one is definitely going to be a mixed bag depending on what type of gamer plays it.
Haha, really?

Oyashiro

Man, I love EDGE. Their reviews are usually spot on with my opinions. Although I'm actually a bit surprised that Dante's Inferno got such a high score from them.

LiK

Oyashiro said:
Man, I love EDGE. Their reviews are usually spot on with my opinions. Although I'm actually a bit surprised that Dante's Inferno got such a high score from them.
GoW3 = 10!

Foxtastical said:
Haha, really?
What? It's true. This type of game isn't aimed at those type of gamers and I wouldn't expect them to "get" HR (or Fahrenheit for that matter). It's a niche title that appeals to a specific demographic of gamers. It's not setting out to please the masses. Alan Wake and The Last Guardian look to be the same type of niche titles (although a little more appeal to the masses on those 2).

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Doubledex said:
No, not really. He is simply right. It's the typical "Oh it's a SONY game. Let's give it an average rating"BS again, from EDGE. Can't wait until GoW3's 7 from EDGE.

Doubledex said:
"buuhuuu Sony fanboy... bububuuuu" U mad, my friend?

Holy shit :lol

Extreme Sony Fanboyism + Edge = 15 year old has meltdown

DevilWillcry said:
What? It's true. This type of game isn't aimed at those type of gamers and I wouldn't expect them to "get" HR (or Fahrenheit for that matter). It's a niche title that appeals to a specific demographic of gamers. It's not setting out to please the masses. Alan Wake and The Last Guardian look to be the same type of niche titles (although a little more appeal to the masses on those 2).
What about those of us that don't care too much for titles that are a bit too cinematic with the cut scenes and less interactive?

I haven't kept up with Heavy Rain much, but it always looked that part.

Narag

Doubledex said:

They gave God of War II a 7 as well. Let us hail for their future consistency instead of rattling sabers.

selig

Banned
each month people give a shit and do not give a shit about EDGE...with switching positions. sigh.

EDGE sucks. If they don´t want their reviews to be taken by their scores, dont score. Their feature-articles are boring, their review texts hardly tell anything about the game being reviewed. One year of subscription was enough.

But please, go on and argue why Heavy Rain deserves more. Next month we´ll do the same when Mario Galaxy 2 gets an 8, the month following we´ll do it because Halo Reach scores 11 and so on. FFS, Edge doesnt matter.

Anyone who thinks Dante's Inferno is less than a 6 has obviously never played the game. It's not broken or anything. I'm amazed that GAF thinks the story is so sacred and shouldn't be adapted as anything.

Minamu

I still want to know how the PW games deserve those scores, right or wrong. Especially the new one. What's bad about it?

LiK

Minamu said:
I still want to know how the PW games deserve those scores, right or wrong. Especially the new one. What's bad about it?
The gameplay is nothing special but the stories and characters are great. I guess Edge aint big fans

Prine

Banned
Every thread you get people saying Edge are not relevant. Yet here they are. Every month. Saying the same thing :lol

God bless Edge (i nearly always agree with their scores, or eventually come to the conclusion they were correct)

LiK

Prine said:
Every thread you get people saying Edge are not relevant. Yet here they are. Every month. Saying the same thing :lol

God bless Edge (i nearly always agree with their scores, or eventually come to the conclusion they were correct)
Bayonetta was spot on :D

mujun

lowrider007 said:
A 7 for HR, now that wasn't very predictable was it, I swear PS3 exclusives have received more 7's from Edge that any other publication in the world.

You need to take it to the next level man, you know get out in the street and preach it from on top of a milk crate or something.

Minamu

LiK said:
The gameplay is nothing special but the stories and characters are great. I guess Edge aint big fans
Yeah, that's probably it. I definitely agree that the gameplay is pretty bad but as you say, story & characters make up for it, even on repeated playthroughs. Guess Edge ain't that deluded :) I agree with Prine. I don't see any other particularly controversial scores. They usually get what they deserve :)

Too bad their issues are so damn expensive over here though. I'm currently waiting for my imported copy of the latest Ace Attorney & I can get 2 issues of Edge for the same price, give or take.

Kyolux

Foxtastical said:
What about those of us that don't care too much for titles that are a bit too cinematic with the cut scenes and less interactive?

I haven't kept up with Heavy Rain much, but it always looked that part.

It's more interactive than you'd assume it to be.

I'm more or less like you on this. Wasn't too fond of the idea of a game that was mostly an interactive cutscene.

But since some friend went and grabbed me an early demo access code, I tried it and was kind of surprised. Still not a buy, but I'll rent it a weekend I can put some time on it. There's much more choice in this than I anticipated. Though the demo didn't seem to change much over the choices you make, I assume that repercussions are more of a down the line thing and less of instant gratification, etc.

pr0cs

Surprised at Dante's Inferno score, that does seem high considering how bashed it is at some review sites.
There should be a line in the OP to the "console wars are silly" thread.

zoukka

pr0cs said:
Surprised at Dante's Inferno score, that does seem high considering how bashed it is at some review sites.
There should be a line in the OP to the "console wars are silly" thread.

I know two guys who have beaten it and both enjoyed the game. Then again neither one follows console wars...

Vorg

Banned
Still haven't played Heavy Rain, and if it's anything like Fahrenheit, I probably won't. I still don't know what the hell was going on as I was playing Fahrenheit. Played like shit too.

Jb

Having finished Biosock 2 (360), while I enjoyed it for the most part, I really don't think it deserves such a high score.
In my opinion, the level design was uninspired, the main story was poorly told, the ending was a mess, and overall only the improved gunplay kept it from being completely dull.
I'd be interested to read their review though.

Ainigma

Neo Member
Jay-B said:
Having finished Biosock 2 (360), while I enjoyed it for the most part, I really don't think it deserves such a high score.
In my opinion, the level design was uninspired, the main story was poorly told, the ending was a mess, and overall only the improved gunplay kept it from being completely dull.
I'd be interested to read their review though.

Now you can...

http://www.edge-online.com/

Doubledex said:

Well that was quick :lol

Top Bottom