• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE 212 scores

Ganondorfo

So dante's inferno got a 6, this means that god of war 3 will also get a 6, because they are almost the same game with different storylines and locations.

Dresden

Glad to see that they gave Mass Effect 2 the score that it deserves.

Sometimes you just disagree with their reviews (Dragon Age always gets brought up), but they're usually consistent in the things they like or dislike. One of the few gaming rags that still has a shred of credibility left.

Deku

Banned
For those who have flamed and or are getting ready to flame

EDGE uses a 2-9 scale

really bad games gets a 1
really brilliant ones gets a 10

Here's how the same scores would look in your pulp game rags and websites.

Heavy Rain - 9

Bioshock 2 - 10 (GOM - Silver)

Mass Effect 2 - 10 (Game of the Forver - Gold)

Dante's inferno - 8

Stalker: Call of Pripyat - 9

Darwinia+ - 10

Death By Cube - 8

Undead Knights - 6

Super Monkey Ball: Step and roll - 7

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth - 8

/bow Edge /bow

Deku said:

EDGE uses a 2-9 scale

Here's how the same scores would look in your pulp game rags and websites.

Heavy Rain - 9

Bioshock 2 - 10 (GOM - Silver)

Mass Effect 2 - 10 (Game of the Forver - Gold)

Dante's inferno - 8

Stalker: Call of Pripyat - 9

Darwinia+ - 10

Death By Cube - 8

Undead Knights - 6

Super Monkey Ball: Step and roll - 7

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth - 8

/bow Edge /bow

people really worship edge lol. um I don't agree with many of their scores :|

Mass Effect 2 got what it deserved.

Heavy Rain's 7 puzzles me, though, as far as player-feedback is concerned. I just downloaded the demo and will give it a spin later tonight.

Rabbitwork said:
i'm REALLY interested as to how dante's managed a 6 in edge.
They say although the mechanics it cribs from are solid, and the levelling metagame engaging, the execution in play feels routine, and platforming throws up too many instant and infuriating deaths. Boss battles are a highlight.

"In the wider context, Dante's Inferno fails to rise above its peers, the punishment for which is not damnation, merely a place in limbo"

RubberJohnny said:
They say although the mechanics it cribs from are solid, and the levelling metagame engaging, the execution in play feels routine, and platforming throws up too many instant and infuriating deaths. Boss battles are a highlight.

"In the wider context, Dante's Inferno fails to rise above its peers, the punishment for which is not damnation, merely a place in limbo"
Wow thats a pretty succinct write-up of the game, however I'd personally give it a 7.5; I really dig the art direction in the game. Interesting.

I don't like how they butchered Dragon Age yet give Mass Effect 2 a ridiculously high score.

But eh it's EDGE. They can be disagreeable but I respect them more than other gaming mags (10s and 9s all around!)

Also STALKER: COP deserves a higher score too.

EDIT: Ugh looking back at previous scores they also gave Diablo 2 a 6/10 and The Witcher a 5.

Yeah I'm just gonna say their opinion on WRPGS are shit.

Basch

Funny, I use a similar scale myself when I review games. Most of the time, though, I hardly agree with Edge. They have the right idea, but poor tastes all around (IMO, of course). They're consistent, sure, I'll give them that. Not that that's a good thing. I've been over Edge for nearly two years now; hardly look at their reviews these days. Such a poor publication. *shakes head* They're consistency only makes it worse. They're stuck in a rut, and they don't know how to get out. Making concessions is not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes a writer needs to sacrifice their own personal bias when trying to evaluate objectively. Two years later, Edge is the same old same old. meh -_-

/rant

SlickVic

Edgeworth score doesn't bother me considering how they reviewed the past games.

Speaking of Ace Attorney: Investigations, where's the hype for this game? Will it get the Official Thread treatment?

Zeliard

Deku said:

EDGE uses a 2-9 scale

:lol

I love Edge, but they can easily fall into the hype as well. They gave both Halo 3 and GTAIV a 10.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Deku said:

EDGE uses a 2-9 scale

bla bla...

/bow Edge /bow

Reality begs to differ. They seem to dislike PS3 exclusives, you can claim subjectivtisim all you want, but the numbers don't lie.

I grabbed some 360 exclusives and some PS3 exclusives at random and subtracted Edge's score from the Metacritic score, the larger the positive number, the lower Edge was from the industry average.

360: ~0.3
PS3: ~1.4

I know someone ran a more detailed analysis before, but I wanted to verify this myself. That is a huge difference, that is statisticly significant. You can only explain it away with apologist fanboy logic IMO. I'd like to fill in more games, I just took the ones on the top of my head, listed below.

ODST
L4D2
L4D1
Forza 3
BK:N&B
Halo 3
PDZ
GeoW
GeoW2
Crackdown

PS3
Heavy Rain
Heavenly Sword
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
R&C:ToD
R&C:CiT
Resistence
Resistence 2
KZ2
Infamous
LBP (by request)

onken

DeadGzuz said:
Reality begs to differ. They seem to dislike PS3 exclusives, you can claim subjectivtisim all you want, but the numbers don't lie.

I grabbed some 360 exclusives and some PS3 exclusives at random and subtracted Edge's score from the Metacritic score, the larger the positive number, the lower Edge was from the industry average.

PS3: ~1.6

I know someone ran a more detailed analysis before, but I wanted to verify this myself. That is a huge difference, that is statisticly significant. You can only explain it away with apologist fanboy logic IMO. I'd like to fill in more games, I just took the ones on the top of my head, listed below.

This right here is a guy with too much time on his hands.

Jexhius said:
Sssh, people don't want to hear that an EDGE seven is a good score.

It is actually their average score, not good. Their average was 6.7 last time I checked GR.com, only about 0.3 lower than the average score of the average GR.com-listed outlet.

The whole "Edge is generally harsh" thing isn't statistically true. They're a *little* more harsh than your typical review site but not by much.

Yes, I'm a nerd.

DeadGzuz

Banned
onken said:
This right here is a guy with too much time on his hands.

Wow, rather than address the content, you guy just attack the posters. It took less than five minutes while doing my other work at the same time.

You can get both numbers at the same time, just google something like "metacritic crackdown" and ctrl-f "edge".

WrikaWrek

Banned
Maybe there's no bias Guzz, maybe 360 games are better. I'm sure you have thought of the opposite, so you know that it's possible to dream, so others might dream other shit.

DeadGzuz

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Maybe there's no bias Guzz, maybe 360 games are better. I'm sure you have thought of the opposite, so you know that it's possible to dream, so others might dream other shit.

Translation from retard "I like their bias, so I defend them in their monthly threads."

WrikaWrek

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
Translation from retard "I like their bias, so I defend them in their monthly threads."

See. It's the opposite of what you say, you know the difference though? I'm not running through those other magazine threads howling at the full moon because of some scores i disagree with regarding the system i'm biased torwards.

Give it a rest buddy, nobody gives a shit.

stupei

DeadGzuz said:
Wow, rather than address the content, you guy just attack the posters. It took less than five minutes while doing my other work at the same time.

You can get both numbers at the same time, just google something like "metacritic crackdown" and ctrl-f "edge".

What is there to say? You already told us that only fanboy logic and excuses could possibly refute your totally objective conclusions! All we can do is nod and tell you how clever and not at all paranoid you seem.

I mean if I were tasked with responding rationally to the suggestion that a magazine has involved itself a massive long standing conspiracy against one particular company, I would probably want to read the content of the reviews first.

WrikaWrek said:
Maybe there's no bias Guzz, maybe 360 games are better.

He's comparing to the average idea (MC) of whether that's the case or not. That should take the "maybe they really are better" thing out of the equation. (I.e., either everyone is overrating PS3 games, or Edge is underrating PS3 games. His claim is that one of those two statistically has to be true.)

Regardless, this discussion has been done and redone like a thousand times. Who gives a shit anymore?

Basch

I thought everybody knew this already. I couldn't imagine anyone ever considering EDGE a reliable objective source for gaming journalism: makes me laugh, especially having finally gone through this thread and reading some your guys' comments. Seriously, I've been away for the better part of a year from the gaming side, and I'm already regretting my decision to come back.

One doesn't even need to round up statistics on EDGE to know they're biased. In my opinion, they're at the top of the list as to why gaming journalism has gone downhill.

WrikaWrek

Banned
RedRedSuit said:
He's comparing to the average idea (MC) of whether that's the case or not. That should take the "maybe they really are better" thing out of the equation. (I.e., either everyone is overrating PS3 games, or Edge is underrating PS3 games. His claim is that one of those two statistically has to be true.)

Regardless, this discussion has been done and redone like a thousand times. Who gives a shit anymore?

The idea i'm saying is, majority doesn't always prove fact. Or we have to start looking at user reviews, it won't look pretty let me tell you.

stupei

Basch said:
I thought everybody knew this already. I couldn't imagine anyone ever considering EDGE a reliable objective source for gaming journalism: makes me laugh, especially having finally gone through this thread and reading some your guys' comments. Seriously, I've been away for the better part of a year from the gaming side, and I'm already regretting my decision to come back.

One doesn't even need to round up statistics on EDGE to know they're biased. In my opinion, they're at the top of the list as to why gaming journalism has gone downhill.

Actually I'm pretty sure the prevalent idea that statistics are somehow a reliable measure of quality in an entertainment medium plays a much larger role in the decreasing standards in gaming journalism.

Deku

Banned
DeadGzuz said:

I just took all the scores and add 2. And for the games that got bumped to 10, or in the case of ME2 getting a score of 11/10, I added hyperbolic honors to reflect the general state of mind of those 7-10 scale publications. I could have thrown in all sorts of caveats and pluses and minuses for fan publications and console specific rags but didn't.

Animator

Ganondorfo said:
So dante's inferno got a 6, this means that god of war 3 will also get a 6, because they are almost the same game with different storylines and locations.

:lol :lol :lol

Dante first needs to be better than Gow 1 to compare to Gow3

WrikaWrek said:
The idea i'm saying is, majority doesn't always prove fact.

Well, of course not... especially since there is no "fact" when it comes to reviews. No one is saying their scores are not "factual" enough. What the guy is saying they're statistically biased. That has nothing to do with fact. If someone can REALLY statistically prove that publication X favors console Y over console Z compared to the majority of other publications, then that would show irrefutable statistical bias. Whether it's "true" according to your taste in games or not is really irrelevant.

Or we have to start looking at user reviews, it won't look pretty let me tell you.

That's a totally different ballgame altogether.

Haunted

The only confirmed bias EDGE has is towards british developers.

System fanboys can argue otherwise until they're blue in the face.

Stink

DeadGzuz said:

You seem to have left out the PS3's 10, Littlebigplanet. Not sure how that affects your figures, but it sure seems to affect your judgement of Edge.

Basch

stupei said:
What is there to say? You already told us that only fanboy logic and excuses could possibly refute your totally objective conclusions! All we can do is nod and tell you how clever and not at all paranoid you seem.

I mean if I were tasked with responding rationally to the suggestion that a magazine has involved itself a massive long standing conspiracy against one particular company, I would probably want to read the content of the reviews first.

Wow, a conspiracy? Is that all you can come up with? Anything else you want to accuse him of? You do realize you're the one bringing this up? Not him. All he did was dish out some stats. A bit irrational don't you think. Opinions are opinions. Some listen to them. Some don't. Get over it.

Stink said:
You seem to have left out the PS3's 10, Littlebigplanet. Not sure how that affects your figures, but it sure seems to affect your judgement of Edge.

Probably not much since the game averaged a 94-95 on most review aggregate sites. So .5 maybe .6 of difference... that isn't going to change the average much. Especially when you start adding some of the other exclusives in there (has the opposite effect).

DeadGzuz

Banned
Stink said:

I left out a lot of scores, I just grabbed some off the top of my head. I edited the original numbers to include LBP, the goto game for those who claim there is no bias...

stupei

Basch said:
Wow, a conspiracy? Is that all you can come up with? Anything else you want to accuse him of? You do realize you're the one bringing this up? Not him. All he did was dish out some stats. A bit irrational don't you think. Opinions are opinions. Some listen to them. Some don't. Get over it.

You're right, the level of discourse on gaming side is a little disappointing.

Stink

DeadGzuz said:
I left out a lot of scores, I just grabbed some off the top of my head. I edited the original numbers to include LBP, the goto game for those who claim there is no bias...
Probably worth also pointing out that when comparing logarithmic scores (I.e. Typical of the average output from most other review sources) vs. Edge's linear scale, poor outliers such as Heavenly Sword will contribute disproportionately to the deviation. It's just not scientific to use statistics like this without normalising the individual comparisons.

Top Bottom