• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 249: Dark Souls II. To be more "direct," "straightforward," and "understandable"

Yopis

Making things like covenants easier to use and access and menus more streamlined - this is the kind of thing that will make the Souls series a better experience for everyone - adding an easy mode and the thinking behind doing so will destroy it.

Anyone wanting an easy mode want it for one reason only - they heard the hype about the game, wanted in on it, but only to complete the game and chuck it on the pile after one weekend so they could say they played it. Dropping in the game and the first thing you see is a huge demon that 2-hit kills you was probably too much for these people any way. Then once they hit Firelink shrine and got slaughtered by a bunch of overpowered skeletons - that was probably the end of the Souls experience for a lot of people - these people are saps. The Souls series isn't something you just mash'n'slash through for a quickie. If that's what you want go play another game.

tbh, I'm wondering what baby games the "I want an easy mode" people do play - what are you even playing games for if it's not for the challenge? That's what a game is - a challenge to try and beat, not a series of cutscenes inbetween which you mash buttons.

Walking dead says hi. One dollar ios games say hi. Sad isn't it.

Problem is when a Japanese company tries to make something that caters to the west in a stupid attempt to grab more "cod" bucks (what I mean is large sales numbers) they usually wind up fucking things up beyond belief. And those types of decisions are governed by the bean counters who are behind financially backing the title. The exact people who have no place in a developmental space when it comes to making a game besides paying out the money for said product funded.

The west doesnt cater to Japan and their own game formula works as it keeps it unique in its own design way, which is why its stupid that the Japanese companies always assume they need to change their design to cater to the western market and have not seen the trend that when this is attempted its usually a failure on both sides.

This seems to be more a its popular and can make us $$$ so lets push out another one and try to use other forms of influence in the west to help further its popularity for sales!

If thats the case, "this is going to end poorly and you have no one but yourself to blame"

I understand the caution. I would be quite disappointed if it turned out to suck.
No need to assume the worst though, especially with so little information. Or do people just want to feel miserable, not hopeful?
Dark Souls II actually takes place in real life and the Negative Nancys assume the role of the Crestfallen Player, forever moping...

jyx

Easy mode. Are you fucking kidding me??? If they dumb down everything the series is dead. The new director want to make a Skyrim game it seems. Hardcore games fades away in to oblivion. This makes me sad!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I think some of you guys should relax and wait until we actually get to see some more footage.

Myriadis

Isn't easy mode, you know, still an option? You can still play it on normal. Easy Mode doesn't automatically mean that the game will be toned down for players who still like to play it on Normal.
Sure, the people who play on easy won't get the same experience, but is that your problem? It isn't.

duckroll

Not sure it has been mentioned on this thread yet, but... interestingly enough... Tomohiro Shibuya is the producer of ACE3, and Yui Tanimura is the director of ACE3. Tomohiro Shibuya also directed ACE:R, which by all accounts was... fucking awful.

What does this mean for Dark Souls 2? Beats me!

(For those who have no idea what I just said, ACE = Another Century's Episode, the mecha crossover action game series From Software made for Bandai Namco Games.)

Serra

I wonder why people seem to trust CD Projekt RED more than From Software, I don't remember as much outrage about the Cyberpunk comments.

CDPR have only developed 2 games, the Witcher series. Both are well liked on GAF. They own GOG.com, which again, is appreciated on GAF. Their developer blogs and interaction with the community have made them somewhat transparent with their goals. Their zero DRM and post release support for their products are all the right moves. So CDPR has gained the faith of the community.

From Software have produced a myriad of titles, some of them great and some of them really bad. The language barrier and just fucking cryptic comments in some interviews make the actual studio pretty unknown. So people don't just "trust them".

UrbanRats

Isn't easy mode, you know, still an option? You can still play it on normal. Easy Mode doesn't automatically mean that the game will be toned down for players who still like to play it on Normal.
Sure, the people who play on easy won't get the same experience, but is that your problem? It isn't.

Dark Souls is a multiplayer game, so we'll see how they will intergate that into it.

IrishNinja

it absolutely is when we all share our single player experiences online, and they're either unfairly given an advantage or left out of the playground altogether

From Software have produced a myriad of titles, some of them great and some of them really bad. The language barrier and just fucking cryptic comments in some interviews make the actual studio pretty unknown. So people don't just "trust them".

my concerns at the moment have more to do with namco, to be fair

That would be nice.

I wonder why people seem to trust CD Projekt RED more than From Software, I don't remember as much outrage about the Cyberpunk comments.
It's a case of people care less I'd say.
People can be very protective about certain brands, and with DS having a ground swell support, people are extra defensive.

duckroll

Another interesting thing is that Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura have definitely worked closely together in the past. Before the awful ACE:R, Shibuya directed ACE and ACE2, with Tanimura as the main game designer on both those games. When Tanimura directed ACE3, Shibuya was a producer on it. Tanimura had no involvement with ACE:R which Shibuya directed, and it's generally considered the worst ACE game ever. Tanimura hasn't been credited on a From Software game since ACE3 afaik, so it's interesting to see him return as the director of Dark Souls 2.

jyx

If you take away the mysteries and challenges from the series....... Straightfoward...... From software to make mobile games...... The future looks bright :(

No its not, it does a insanely poor job explaining mechanics. You could easily go though Demon's Souls without knowing about the world tendency mechanic. I would also argue that its not hard to master, just time consuming.
Demon and Dark Souls teach you everything in the tutorial you need to see the credits. World tendency in Demon's Souls is irrelevant to completing the game.

Datschge

Not sure it has been mentioned on this thread yet, but... interestingly enough... Tomohiro Shibuya is the producer of ACE3, and Yui Tanimura is the director of ACE3. Tomohiro Shibuya also directed ACE:R, which by all accounts was... fucking awful.

Hmmmm......

(So Tomohiro Shibuya isn't the same as the one who was at DAG Inc.?)

duckroll

Hmmmm......

(So Tomohiro Shibuya isn't the same as the one who was at DAG Inc.?)

No, he should be 渋谷知広 at From Software. He worked on all the ACE games. The other Tomohiro Shibuya is a graphic artist, not a game director/producer.

Check the credits here:

http://staffroll.6.ql.bz/from/ACE.html
http://staffroll.6.ql.bz/from/ACE2.html
http://staffroll.6.ql.bz/from/ACE3.html

The ACE:R credits should be on Youtube.

Yui Tanimura is 谷村唯.

kinggroin

Banned
Another interesting thing is that Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura have definitely worked closely together in the past. Before the awful ACE:R, Shibuya directed ACE and ACE2, with Tanimura as the main game designer on both those games. When Tanimura directed ACE3, Shibuya was a producer on it. Tanimura had no involvement with ACE:R which Shibuya directed, and it's generally considered the worst ACE game ever. Tanimura hasn't been credited on a From Software game since ACE3 afaik, so it's interesting to see him return as the director of Dark Souls 2.

Some men, just want to watch the world burn.

Serra

NEO0MJ

That was the whole point. That was why the game got the reputation it did and became a classic of this generation.

I thought it was about the intense gameplay and no handholding. There are stuff that make a game challenging, and there are stuff that make a game frustrating. Besides, it's not like bonfires threw you right at the bosses gate, you still had a lot of distance to cross. Four Kings for example was pretty much like demon's in that if you lost you had to go all the way back to firelink shrine.

jyx

I wonder why miyazaki isnt directing this one. My guess is preassure from the top to make a more bland and mainstream game...............

I thought it was about the intense gameplay and no handholding. There are stuff that make a game challenging, and there are stuff that make a game frustrating. Besides, it's not like bonfires threw you right at the bosses gate, you still had a lot of distance to cross. Four Kings for example was pretty much like demon's in that if you lost you had to go all the way back to firelink shrine.

And that actually made you think about how to approach the boss fight. If you had a save next to the boss you'd just run in there until you get lucky.

Hindle

Banned
I want more dungeons designed like Sens Fortress and no more Demon Ruins, or Lost Izailth. They were just poorly designed IMO.

Johnas

i want a huge open world souls game. as big as skyrim, seamless with no loading time(like wow), large plains to run on.

This is what I imagined when Dark Souls was first announced and described as "open world". I still think it'd be cool to have a few levels with wide open areas, as long as they're peppered with interesting things to investigate, like old ruins or caverns.

However, I can't deny that the current level design works brilliantly.

i want a huge open world souls game. as big as skyrim, seamless with no loading time(like wow), large plains to run on.

I would like to see where they could go with it, even though I think the level design is perfect as it is.

It would truly feel like an old adventure game. Just being dumped in the middle of a dilapidated shrine in a gloomy marsh somewhere with no idea what the fuck to do appeals to me.

The Souls games have amazing level design, why would you want to ruin it?

I could see a more open world being pretty amazing in a Souls game. Imagine having the excellent level design spread out more. If they put the time into detailing it and not just making big empty levels full of nothing it could be incredible. I mean, people already praise the series for its oppressive sense of loneliness. Imagine having to navigate an old and dying overworld via landmarks or discovering map fragments or something.

I dunno, I could see it being cool.

I could see a more open world being pretty amazing in a Souls game. Imagine having the excellent level design spread out more. If they put the time into detailing it and not just making big empty levels full of nothing it could be incredible. I mean, people already praise the series for its oppressive sense of loneliness. Imagine having to navigate an old and dying overworld via landmarks or discovering map fragments or something.

I like that. And I liked the idea, when they came up with this about Dark Souls.

Decoding a language in a similar fashion to FEZ would be a cool addition.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
it had to be expected, though...games need to be sold, after all. Or would you rather have gone without DS2?

personally, I can't wait and hope for a competent PC version, so I can finally see what the fuss is about

it had to be expected, though...games need to be sold, after all. Or would you rather have gone without DS2?

personally, I can't wait and hope for a competent PC version, so I can finally see what the fuss is about

These posts annoy me so much. Dark Souls already sells, and it sells based off its hardcore reputation and positive word of mouth. Making it some dumbed down piece of shit game isn't going to increase sales, it will decrease them.

Himself

The Souls games have amazing level design, why would you want to ruin it?

Basically. I already feel the level design took a big enough hit with the more open world nature of Dark. An even more open world would mean even more backtracking through unnecessary connecting pathways. Not into it.

tafer

(For those who have no idea what I just said, ACE = Another Century's Episode, the mecha crossover action game series From Software made for Bandai Namco Games.)

+

“I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.”

I can only recall bad memories and disappointment when an "unproven" guy thinks his ideas will work with a proven formula.

Hindle

Banned
Explaining the mechanics in a better way is something that doesn't bother me, and they can always make it optional like Fireaxis did with Xcom. What does bother me is they dumb down the level design and have xray vision to spot enemy weakness, or checkpoints everywhere.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
There's plenty of reasonable wiggle room where they can improve accessibility without it becoming an Elder Scrolls game. Shit, they don't even have to mess with the difficulty, just give a quick blurb explaining some of the core game systems this time and they're good to go.

Zeliard

This isn't helping. :<

duckroll

This isn't helping. :<

Fwiw, I really like the original 3 ACE games! Each game improved on the previous one, and for a licensed mecha crossover action game, there were some pretty good mechanics. The games also totally nail the sense of scale, which was a huge deal in the ACE games, since it was awesome seeing all the different mechs from various different series put together in the same game with proper scale and real proportions in full 3D.

I wonder how they got the gig to direct Dark Souls 2 though. They didn't work on any of the previous Souls games...

Top Bottom