• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge 249: Dark Souls II. To be more "direct," "straightforward," and "understandable"

Defuser

Wasn't the main whole point of the Souls series is the difficulty? Why do people want a easy mode of the game known and loved for it's difficulty? Oxymoron?

Zeliard

Fwiw, I really like the original 3 ACE games! Each game improved on the previous one, and for a licensed mecha crossover action game, there were some pretty good mechanics. The games also totally nail the sense of scale, which was a huge deal in the ACE games, since it was awesome seeing all the different mechs from various different series put together in the same game with proper scale and real proportions in full 3D.

I wonder how they got the gig to direct Dark Souls 2 though. They didn't work on any of the previous Souls games...

Have any sense of what sort of thing they may do with a Souls game?

duckroll

Have any sense of what sort of thing they may do with a Souls game?

I don't think anyone can say for sure. Don't forget, before Miyazaki created Demon's Souls, he was the director on Armored Core 4, which was completely different in pretty much every way.

jett

D-Member
Not sure it has been mentioned on this thread yet, but... interestingly enough... Tomohiro Shibuya is the producer of ACE3, and Yui Tanimura is the director of ACE3. Tomohiro Shibuya also directed ACE:R, which by all accounts was... fucking awful.

What does this mean for Dark Souls 2? Beats me!

(For those who have no idea what I just said, ACE = Another Century's Episode, the mecha crossover action game series From Software made for Bandai Namco Games.)

Gawd. I'd rather have a complete newb in charge. Personally the non-Souls games from From are just trash.

Yuterald

Gawd. I'd rather have a complete newb in charge. Personally the non-Souls games from From are just trash.

Wow, that's a pretty ridiculous statement. King's Field and Shadow Tower, oh, I don't know, only paved the way for your precious Souls games. Jesus Christ...

Oemenia

Banned
The funniest thing is that the people who crying like bitches probably never played the previous games, or even worse, finished it playing co-op!

Wasn't the main whole point of the Souls series is the difficulty? Why do people want a easy mode of the game known and loved for it's difficulty? Oxymoron?
Because they don't have the patience to learn how to play the game, they just heard it was the new cool game out and didn't want to miss out on what was hot.

The whole marketing around Dark Souls was that it was a challenge, I really don't think they are going to make the game something the series is not. I do think they will try to make it more accessible in explaining game mechanics or something like that.

UrbanRats

The funniest thing is that the people who crying like bitches probably never played the previous games, or even worse, finished it playing co-op!

I'm pretty sure most of us here finished Dark Souls (and Demon's Souls, probably).
And i'm also sure most people here are not trying to prove how hard their gamer-dicks are, but are just concerned that an integral part of what makes Dark Souls atmosphere great (rarefied storytelling, for example) will not return in the sequel.

I don't get such posts at all.

If you don't "have the time" to learn Demon's Souls/Dark Souls. If you are impatient. If you don't want to figure out enemy weaknesses/movements. If you rush into new areas and then complain that it's cheap that you died. THEN JUST DON'T BUY DEMON'S/DARK SOULS. It's that easy. The whole point of Demon's/Dark Souls is that you don't have a win button.

It's like people complaining that reading books is "hard" and they don't want to be bothered with it and ask for lots of pictures in books. Well, duh, just watch movies instead.

I think AssCreed series is way too easy with broken combat and bad controls. Do I complain about this and ask, if they could make it harder, add proper controls and an actual combat system? No, I understood that I'm not the target audience. The target audience is bad casual players that can't be bothered to do anything, but want to feel like they played a game. I bought the first 2. Both of them were shitty. I learned that. I don't buy them anymore. But it's the perfect game for such people. Just buy those instead.

Once you realize their attitudes on the matter are terrible, which led to their experience with the game being terrible, it makes more sense.

It is a part of a whole and that whole is what Souls games need to function. It's the downside of such an elegant, complex, and interwoven game. Yet it's an easy thing to rip out as its binary and really attracts the attention of the passer-by.

Midou

Because they don't have the patience to learn how to play the game, they just heard it was the new cool game out and didn't want to miss out on what was hot.

The whole marketing around Dark Souls was that it was a challenge, I really don't think they are going to make the game something the series is not. I do think they will try to make it more accessible in explaining game mechanics or something like that.

This is by far the most logical thing. Perhaps something like a tutorial option in the main menu that does a more intrusive explanation than just reading messages, that sets up enemies to be backstabbed or parried and allows you to try it out until you get it for example. This harms no one's experience but increases amount of people who can play the game.

Perhaps bringing back white phantoms running around from demon's souls that run in a direction that may aid someone who doesn't know where to go at the start. As most people I know who started it, went to the graveyard first in Dark Souls and found the game needlessly frustrating. It's a minor thing to fix stuff like this, but goes a long way to increase the amount of people who can play the game and get into it.

Accessibility harms no one and helps those who need it. Difficulty is a separate beast all together.

Midou

Wow, that's a pretty ridiculous statement. King's Field and Shadow Tower, oh, I don't know, only paved the way for your precious Souls games. Jesus Christ...

This might be a good opportunity to ask. I kind of got frustrated trying to play King's Field around the time I played Demon's Souls, but I'd be willing to try to get into one of them again. Is there one that is the best example of that series that is worth playing the most?

Risette

A Good Citizen
If difficulty levels are implemented without sacrificing the normal mode, I don't see what the big deal is. Obviously if it was like Evilore outlined earlier, where the easy mode is the primary focus instead of the other way around, that's a problem. But I don't understand the rationale behind being against difficulty levels without first seeing how they are implemented. It just comes off as purist whiny bullshit.
That is impossible.

Nobody is forcing you to play on the easy difficulty. Why ruin others people fun? If they want a easier game, let them play on the lower difficulty.
How about they play another game instead? Unnecessary options are not a good thing. They are unsightly and a waste of everybody's time.

Difficulty options are almost universally a cop out for players and designers. The Souls' games lack of difficulty options should be applauded; it shows that the designers are confident in what they made. It also creates unity -- since there is no difficulty option, when you talk about the game with somebody and share your experiences, you can assume that both (or more) of you experienced the same fight, environmental hazard, etc. Considering the community aspect of the games -- that is vital!

If people do not like what they made, then they have a right to not like it, and they can play a different game. Anybody who argues otherwise is arguing for the homogenization of gaming that has plagued this generation.

Yuterald

This might be a good opportunity to ask. I kind of got frustrated trying to play King's Field around the time I played Demon's Souls, but I'd be willing to try to get into one of them again. Is there one that is the best example of that series that is worth playing the most?

King's Field IV is the most approachable game in the series. King's Field I (Japanese only) and King's Field II are very similar to each other. They feel/look incredibly dated, but they are still great dungeon crawlers and they were most certainly ahead of their time. King's Field III (II in NA) was a gigantic improvement over the first two games, but it's still probably hard for people to go back to. KF I-III are all on PSone too.

King's Field IV, however, is an early PS2 game. The jump from King's Field III to IV was AMAZING too. Just to illustrate the difference, here's two pictures to show you the evolution of the series.

King's Field III

kngsfld2_screen005.jpg
kngsfld2_screen003.jpg

King's Field IV

king4_screen008.jpg
king4_screen004.jpg

I grew up with From's games and when my brother and I first got our PS2 we were so happy that they released a bunch of games at launch (Eternal Ring & Evergrace, especially). Eternal Ring was a much faster paced King's Field-like spin off, but it was still pretty fucking amazing looking/feeling coming off of the PSone. When KF IV dropped though, forget about it. The bar was raised ages ago. These guys were making great Dark RPGs for years and only now they are getting the recognition. If you love Demon's/Dark Souls, you need to AT LEAST give Ancient City a run through. It's only a 25-30 hour game too.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer your question more directly. King's Field: Ancient City is the best game in the series to play. It represents what King's Field is to a tee. The older games were still very good for their time, but I understand why some people would get frustrated with them. If you're feeling brave and old school though, I'd still suggest checking them out one day and playing them through to the end. I would almost suggest playing them backwards. Start with the best and work your way down.

Monocle

I guess this means they're watering the game down? "Direct," "straightforward," and "understandable" sound like code for generic and oversimplified.

If people do not like what they made, then they have a right to not like it, and they can play a different game. Anybody who argues otherwise is arguing for the homogenization of gaming that has plagued this generation.

Exactly. Those people are bunch of entitled assholes. Sorry if it sounds elitist, but it's true.

Oemenia

Banned
I'm pretty sure most of us here finished Dark Souls (and Demon's Souls, probably).
And i'm also sure most people here are not trying to prove how hard their gamer-dicks are, but are just concerned that an integral part of what makes Dark Souls atmosphere great (rarefied storytelling, for example) will not return in the sequel.
Whenever difficulty of Souls games come up, the smallest of criticism of the difficulty gets you branded a weenie.

With that said, yeah we can have some concerns, but Dark Souls was a much harder game than Demons Souls, it was also in some ways more obtuse but in others more approachable. Simply said there are a lot of things to fix, and that doesnt mean the game will get dumbed down.

luca1980

Banned
One of dark soul guideline was to make it more accessible than demon soul yet fair and difficult. And dark souls accomplished it.
I look forward ds 2, I know from wont fuck it.
They earned the credit they deserve imho

SeanR1221

I would love this. I get a little bit of time each week, and I'm mentally exhausted from work. I want to enjoy the Souls games, but they are too time consuming to get into.

Midou

EDIT: Oh, and to answer your question more directly. King's Field: Ancient City is the best game in the series to play. It represents what King's Field is to a tee. The older games were still very good for their time, but I understand why some people would get frustrated with them. If you're feeling brave and old school though, I'd still suggest checking them out one day and playing them through to the end. I would almost suggest playing them backwards. Start with the best and work your way down.

Cool, thanks for the detailed explanation. This actually tends to be how I play older titles. I play a more recent one and really get a feel for it and want to play others, and I think, I might as well play the previous one since the jump to the first ones might be too much, and usually work my way back into the originals too. I'll give King's Field: Ancient City a spin soon.

The Boat

One of dark soul guideline was to make it more accessible than demon soul yet fair and difficult. And dark souls accomplished it.
I look forward ds 2, I know from wont fuck it.
They earned the credit they deserve imho
I honestly think demon's souls is more accessible. The hub made accessing levels much easier while in Dark Souls it's easy to be at a loss over what to do. Then we have humanity, even more complicated magic and crafting systems and covenants.

Midou

Whenever difficulty of Souls games come up, the smallest of criticism of the difficulty gets you branded a weenie.

With that said, yeah we can have some concerns, but Dark Souls was a much harder game than Demons Souls, it was also in some ways more obtuse but in others more approachable. Simply said there are a lot of things to fix, and that doesnt mean the game will get dumbed down.

I don't know about harder. There were some parts that were a bit trickier, but most of the bosses aren't too bad outside ores and smores, and four kings with certain builds, but even then, four kings are far more brutal on NG+ than NG. Flame Lurker and last boss seemed quite a bit harder than anything in Dark Souls. Though I suppose magic made Demon's pretty easy. The dungeons in Demon's seemed harder for the most part too, a lot more tiny and dark corridors where you can't see what is up ahead and such.

We should be aiming for hard, but fair. It's entirely possible to keep all the difficulty of Dark Souls 2 but to explain their ancillary systems like blacksmithing, covenants, and so on in a clearer way. It's a cause for concern, but only a minor one.

Boss Man

Not going to jump to any conclusions, but yeah that makes me a bit nervous. I had a feeling that after Dark Souls they would keep going further, kinda wish this was a multiplatform Demon's Souls II instead.

I really don't mind the game being more clear and forthcoming as regards the more obscure game aspects like covenants, but this...

we can surely agree that we would all like to see Dark Souls attain as great a presence as The Elder Scrolls.

Hearing shit like this worries me.

Going by the change of director, the PR and the trailer I think they're going by a much standard game. With a more traditional narrative and structure. Main quests, side quests, more NPC's etc... basically a game more akin to the western RPG.

I hope I'm wrong.

Midou

Let's look at the difference between Demon's Souls to Dark Souls too though.

- Bonfires are far more frequent than stage start points.

- Becoming human is far easier.

- 100% life as undead.

- No more item weight limit.

- Guaranteed healing items.

- Guaranteed spell casting.

All these things could be looked at as 'streamlining' or 'making the series easier' but I can't really complain about any of them, as I feel it improves all those systems it effected. There is no reason to believe it's going to become some joke of a game.

Midou

Wut. The controls are one of the best things about the game.

Yes. It's impossible for me to comprehend controls better than this. Short of jumping and kicking, which could be better, this is the best I could possibly imagine a game with heavy focus on both hands being equally useable in combat. If someone doesn't like the controls, they should simply play another game instead since it isn't for them.

The controls totally suck... if they fix that I am happy.

Is this based on actual experience or something you read? The rewarding combat was one of the key components that elevated these games far beyond what many other developers were/are doing in similar genres. I thought this was universally accepted by those who made it at least ten minutes in. Please provide examples of where the controls have been surpassed. You will make my day if there is something I missed.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I thought the bonfires for Dark Souls were a great may to sort of mediate the difficulty (even exploit it for farming) and make it accessible for newer players. I still don't think either Souls games were necessarily hard, they just needed patience to play. I don't really want that compromised.

Foffy

Banned
King's Field III (II in NA) was a gigantic improvement over the first two games, but it's still probably hard for people to go back to.

Was it? I thought of the PS era, II was the best. III covers more areas, but as a result many more of the areas are linear. Each area only usually connects with another one, and you're lucky if it branches beyond that. KF II is much more like Super Metroid to me, and I love how all of the areas connect in coherent ways.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

King's Field the Ancient City definitely has that Dark Souls feel. All the areas are interconnected, its fairly tough, its on the PS2 so only a generation ago. I liked it anyway.

sniperpon

Ugh, FROM comments remind me vaguely of Sonic's overlords of the past several years saying (in Japanese [subtitled in English]), "what makes Sonic great is that it's faaast!!!." You can just tell by listening to interviews that they don't "get" why the Genesis games were so great.

When I play Demon's or Dark Souls I'm continually hit by subtle things, like object placement, that to most game designers wouldn't make any sense. But it all works somehow.

I'm worried that these two new directors will try to "fix" things, and wind up taking the entire design down to their level of game design comprehension.

Yuterald

Was it? I thought of the PS era, II was the best. III covers more areas, but as a result many more of the areas are linear. Each area only usually connects with another one, and you're lucky if it branches beyond that. KF II is much more like Super Metroid to me, and I love how all of the areas connect in coherent ways.

I don't know, I mean, it's been a long time since I've played through the old ones, but King's Field III is definitely my favorite of the old school bunch. I think I'm totally due for replays of each game. If we're just talking about visuals/environments, King's Field III takes the cake. It's not as COMPLETELY grey and brown as the other two games, lol! I think more players could understand where they were in the third game because most areas had a distinct feel/look (from what I remember, at least). Wasn't there like a forest/hedge maze-like area in KF III? Also, there was that cool cliff area with the teleporters. Was King's Field II really more interconnected than III too? Man, I really need to revisit these games again.

And yeah, most (if not all) King's Field games had that metroidvania structure/style that everyone throws around these days. Ancient City, especially, is designed EXTREMELY well. The Ancient City itself acts as a central hub to all of the areas. There's SO many back doors and interconnected areas in King's Field IV, it's crazy cool. Honestly though, I actually always felt like Demon's Souls (especially) was more like Shadow Tower than King's Field. Shadow Tower was more zone/world-ish than "open world" or "metroidvania". Demon's Souls definitely reflects a more Shadow Tower-like philosophy than King's Field, but there's a lot of cross over too.

Riposte

- 100% life as undead.

All these things could be looked at as 'streamlining' or 'making the series easier' but I can't really complain about any of them, as I feel it improves all those systems it effected. There is no reason to believe it's going to become some joke of a game.

The healing system could be seen as a rebalancing that makes the game harder, until you expand your estus flask strength and quantity later in the game (which can be powerful to a lame extent).

UrbanRats

How else would you do the controls? Besides putting spring on LS/L3, maybe.

NOOOO :( (assuming you meant sprint).
I hate sprinting with the analog click.

- 100% life as undead.

That was tedious as fuck, having to stop and do inventory managment because of one rock too many constantly broke my immersion, especially in world 2, where they give you a shitton of minerals.
Also healing items go both ways, they were guaranteed in DkS, but you could farm them in DeS.
Same for mana regen items.

UrbanRats

Well, I was thinking that it would be a shortcut and the ordinary method would still work.

Maybe it's just me, but when i'm tense i grip the pad like an hawk, in Hotline Miami sometimes i lock on enemies, just because i click the right analog for that reason. :p

Top Bottom