• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #260 scores, Xbox One vs. PS4

Post of the decade, +50

The people who are outraged by xbone winning the controller battle; have you tried both/neither?

I don't think EDGE is even comparing them. They are simply reading the forums, taking their opinion from previous gen and just using that. Nothing about it says they actually tried either controller.

Replying to OP and edge content:

Unbiased it seems, which makes for a nice change but I disagree with these two:

1. Cloud: seriously GaiKai not available at launch and coming next year with no facts about geolocation of datacentres, platform features, proven technology, investment, resources etc. This one goes to Microsoft/Azure easily, clearly edge are not aware of the scale and capabilities of Azure that launched 3 years ago. GaiKai is basically USA only based and outsources to third party datacentres/pipes. Azure is in house MS and on a global scale delivery regional dedicated servers. Azure/Compute is a far more mature platform that is available to gamers and developers alike AT LAUNCH. Fail on this one edge.

2. Second screen: again this should go to MS/X1. Sony lock you into Sony products where Smartglass enables any devices you own regardless of brand or future purchases etc. I agree the VITA integration is more mature with Sony but overall I think Smartglass beats the closed Sony system here. I can see how this goes both ways though.

Otherwise that OP summary and edge's take on things was quite good and helpful.

regarding your 2nd point, Sony is releasing a PS app for Android / iOS (Windows phone?) in addition to the tight Vita integration. I don't see how it's a closed system at all.

nevermind, I see I was badly beaten.

Maxy

Banned
I don't think EDGE is even comparing them. They are simply reading the forums, taking their opinion from previous gen and just using that. Nothing about it says they actually tried either controller.

I agree. Just getting the feeling that people are talking about it being the wrong decision by their personal opinion on the quality of the controller not the overall feedback.

Personally I've seen more people (who've tested both) talking about how the xbone is the winner in this category. Which I to some extent hope is wrong so that I don't have to get out the old soldering kit and mod it to work on my PS4.

MARNEY

Features
Xbox One vs PS4
Controller: Microsoft adds 40 upgrades to its near-perfect 360 controller design and retains the title belt for another round
Hardware: While Xbox One attempts to blend in with your other consumer electronics PS4's design exudes real charisma
Launch window exclusives: A proven racing franchise in Forza 5 and exclusivity on Titanfall. Advantage Microsoft
Indie support: Sony is clearly out ahead when it comes to indies, and it's telling how much weight that has carried in players' minds
First party studios: Microsoft has weighty series but the combination of Naughty Dog, Media Molecule and Team Ico wins out.
Second screen experience: Having both Vita and tablets in play makes Sony's second-screen pitch the more immediately persuasive.
Social services: There's little to choose between them, but Microsoft is building its service on more stable foundations.
Cloud technology: Sony's vision for Gaikai feels like the most tangible road map either company has yet delivered
Media and services: If you want a multimedia box and don't mind Kinect's insidious side, Xbox One is the clear winner.
Ease of development: Both offer a friendly environment, but only Sony has the policies to really encourage experimentation

Also includes an interview with Frank Gibeau (EA) and Eric Hirshberg (Activision)

Twenty best games of our life time (according to Edge readers)
20 - World of Warcraft
19 - Marjoa's Mask
18 - Vice City
17 - Chrono Trigger
16 - Portal
15 - Red Dead Redemption
14 - Bioshock
13 - Ico
12 - The Last of Us
11- Dark Souls
10 - Super Mario Galaxy
9 - Metal Gear Solid
8 - Shadow of the Colossus
7 - Goldeneye
6 - Halo
5 - RE4
4 - Final Fantasy VII
3 - Half Life 2
2 - Super Mario 64
1 - Ocarina of Time

Making of... Towerfall

Previews
Dark Souls II
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
Deep Down
D4
Hohokum

Reviews
Beyond: Two Souls - 5
Card Hunter - 8
Pokemon X/Y - 8
Rain - 5
Sonic: Lost World - 4
Wii Party U - 5
Sokobond - 9
Ookibloks - 8
Where's My Water? 2 - 4

rllmukforum and bordersdown but you both made errors transcribing the scores, Sokobond Wii Party U and respectively. Thanks to symphonask for the cover image.

subscription info
How does titanfall or it's exclusivity have anything to do with launch window?... How long is a launch window anyways?!?

killatopak

Xbox One winning the controller category may be because they preferred previous Xbox controllers and was used to it. Same could be said if they preferred previous PS controllers and PS4's controller won. They're just used to current gen controllers atm.

Honestly PS4 winning the cloud tech may be because its plans is more tangible than MS' since I haven't seen their future plans with this other than the fortaleza road map which is already behind schedule. While developers having access to dedicated servers mean that if AAA games gets a dedi on one console they sure will get dedis on the other especially if its multiplat. MS' has an advantage here due to dedis being cheaper for developers but it doesn't affect the end user.

Xbox One winning the social and media is very questionable due to all its offerings being behind a paywall. Remove that paywall then undoubtedly Xbox wins.

Xbox one winning the launch games, retail at least, may be subjective but I believe they are correct for the most part. They offer more variety and has a greater quantity than PS4's.

edoara

Neo Member
hmm.. the plot keeps thickening.......
The+plot+thickens+.+A+very+bold+move+indeed_3f86e0_4788290.gif

leroidys

Sorry for the bump, I just saw this linked on another website and wanted to comment on their top 20 games of all time-ish thing. Personally, I think it's a very good list*, with the exception of only Goldeneye. I know people love it, but it's just not that great of a game in retrospect.

*My asterisk is that there are NO HANDHELD GAMES. It's so disapointing how overlooked these are in great games narratives everywhere.

Top Bottom